Snowytoshi

Vegetarianism/ Veganism

I don't have problems with vegetarians as long as they aren't the ones telling me that eating meat is wrong, humans have teeth MADE for eating meat, that doesn't mean we have to, so if you don't want to eat meat then I won't tell you to but if someone tells me that I shouldn't eat meat, it bothers me

I could never give up bacon

I don't have problems with vegetarians as long as they aren't the ones telling me that eating meat is wrong, humans have teeth MADE for eating meat, that doesn't mean we have to, so if you don't want to eat meat then I won't tell you to but if someone tells me that I shouldn't eat meat, it bothers me

I could never give up bacon

Indeed. It would bother me so much if someone told me I had to eat meat unless there was a health reason for it. But if someone just tells me cause they think my choices are wrong, well I find that rude. Likewise I'm not going to go and tell people to be vegetarians or vegans if they don't want to.

When I was little I wanted to be a vegetarian, but I was already super picky, and probably wouldn't have had any protein in my diet. Also, I met a lot of vegetarians at my summer camp (it's with the National Zoo, so there's lots of animal enthusiasts), and thought it was really cool to hear their opinions. Now, I'm still rather picky, and the only meats I really eat are chicken (lots of chicken) and sometimes bacon or some sausages. I think it's fine to not be vegetarian because people are omnivorous animals, and I don't blame carnivores for eating meat. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to make sure the chicken I buy really is treated fairly, and raised and killed in humane conditions. wink.gif

I know a lot of people who have problems with this, but with all the vegetarians/vegans I've known, I've never once seen or heard them telling someone they shouldn't eat meat, but I've heard plenty of people tell them they were wrong for being vegetarian or making fun of them for it. D:

(Not to say that it doesn't/can't happen, just that in my experience, it's more often the other way around.)

~

Recently went on a school field trip to Utah and one of the girls was a vegan. She had this date recipe (date rolled in expresso and nuts and something else I forget) that everyone loved. I was sad I couldn't try it, as I can't stand nuts. 3=

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I want to convert to vegitarianism, but I can't let meat go.

Also, just because 5/10 people (for example) become vegan/vegetarian doesn't mean that those people are saving animals, really. It would take decades or even centuries to convert every human to veganism/vegetarianism and animals would still die. It's a really complicated supply/demand thing. Sorry if I didn't explain it well or if I came off as rude. I'm just not one to be super gentle.

I do have a vegetarian friend and a peskitarian friend. I really like what they're doing, but I really don't think I have it in me to top eating meat entirely. You can't tell a fisherman's daughter to do that. It's too hard. I might do a thing where one does not eat meat for 6 days a week and has one binge day. Do you guys think that defeats the purpose or no?

Also, just because 5/10 people (for example) become vegan/vegetarian doesn't mean that those people are saving animals, really. It would take decades or even centuries to convert every human to veganism/vegetarianism and animals would still die. It's a really complicated supply/demand thing. Sorry if I didn't explain it well or if I came off as rude. I'm just not one to be super gentle.

I do have a vegetarian friend and a peskitarian friend. I really like what they're doing, but I really don't think I have it in me to top eating meat entirely. You can't tell a fisherman's daughter to do that. It's too hard. I might do a thing where one does not eat meat for 6 days a week and has one binge day. Do you guys think that defeats the purpose or no?

If you're going to eat the same amount of meat regardless, then, yes.

I guess that would ultimately depend on on why you want to become vegetarian. Is it because you like the message of trying to save animals/change their treatment? Then, yeah, eating meat just one day seems contradictory to the purpose. Is it because you think you might feel healthier as a vegetarian? Then, no, I don't think that would really defeat the purpose.

Just in my experience, the people who are happiest to be vegetarians/vegans have generally done two things:

One: Researched the subject quite a lot (how different diets affect our bodies, how to get the proper amount of nutrition no matter what diet you choose, what's healthy and what's not, etc.) and arrived at the conclusion that they'd like to try vegetarian/veganism for those reasons.

Two: Made the switch slowly - they didn't dive right in. They looked up vegetarian/vegan recipes and experimented and eventually ended up fully vegetarian/vegan since they liked the food so much/felt healthier and better.

(Of course, not all of them did one or even both these things. My sister, for example, just jumped right in after deciding she liked animals more than humans and wanted to save them. It was a really bumpy ride because of this, but now she has evened out and has finally started experimenting with different foods and is getting the right nutrients and such.)

I also know quite a few people who went vegetarian because they had lots of friends who were and it made things easier and they were swayed by the food. =p If you have friends who are already vegetarian, this is a great resource. Why not ask for some recipe suggestions you can try? :3

SPS: Well, my peskitarian (still can't spell it) friend mainly eats pizza and fake meat, yes pathetic. I don't see the purpose of it. Not even he knows the purpose.

I could ask my vegetarian friend for recipes, I suppose.

7Dealy$ins: I couldn't possibly eat the same amount of meat in one day as I could in a whole week; there are some days when I don't eat meat completely by accident.

General: What do you guys think of tofu? I think it's pretty good (look at me, a big fan of soy products; amn't I fancy :3), but what do you think? I suggest it in soup, particularly miso soup, a soy based (again) type of soup that has many varieties. A lot of Asian restaurants have it on the menu.

To any vegans, vegetarians, etc.: do you think that not being able to eat things such as marshmallows, some gelatin, some snack foods, etc. a big deal. I know that majority of you may not, but I am running a survey in my area and I was thinking of widening the answers.

i have to say...that i love meat. i always have...i rarely eat fruits/veggies. nothing against vegetarians though. and it's not killing an innocent animal, i say as long as we use/eat the parts it isn't bad. it's not like hunting for sport where you kill something then just leave it without using any of it. as long it's for survival i don't see the problem. that's how nature wanted it. for the prey/the weak to be eaten by something higher on the foodchain. if i killed anything, i would eat it. or use the parts for something useful rather then go "oh i killed it, lemme just leave it here reminding myself i ended its life for no reason at all!"

my family told me that when they hunted, they either ate or used the parts. never just leave it there. because i'm all for animals shouldn't be killed for no reason, but if it's needed for survival then it isn't just taking an innocent animals life...and even though not eating the meat makes you feel better, it doesnt change the fact that they are still killed and people eat them.

just thought i'd point that out...please don't take it as offensive

I know a lot of people who have problems with this, but with all the vegetarians/vegans I've known, I've never once seen or heard them telling someone they shouldn't eat meat, but I've heard plenty of people tell them they were wrong for being vegetarian or making fun of them for it. D:

(Not to say that it doesn't/can't happen, just that in my experience, it's more often the other way around.)

Never go on tumblr then. The vegans there are raising a huge stink about how people who eat meat are soooo selfish and couldn't possibly care about animals. rolleyes.gif One of them called me a few nasty names which can't be repeated here when I told her she was way out of line. They even have their own stupid little nickname for us: bloodmouths. I kind of like it though, makes me sound tough and scary.

Not saying all vegans act like this; after all, tumblr has been known to be home of the scum of the internet. Right up there with 4chan.

Edited by St. Jimmy

Never go on tumblr then. The vegans there are raising a huge stink about how people who eat meat are soooo selfish and couldn't possibly care about animals. rolleyes.gif One of them called me a few nasty names which can't be repeated here when I told her she was way out of line. They even have their own stupid little nickname for us: bloodmouths. I kind of like it though, makes me sound tough and scary.

Not saying all vegans act like this; after all, tumblr has been known to be home of the scum of the internet. Right up there with 4chan.

Yeah, I meant 'real life' people, as the internet tends to be an easy medium for extremists to shout on. x3

Does bloodmouth make anyone else think of mudblood?

To any vegans, vegetarians, etc.: do you think that not being able to eat things such as marshmallows, some gelatin, some snack foods, etc. a big deal. I know that majority of you may not, but I am running a survey in my area and I was thinking of widening the answers.

I'm a vegetarian so I don't eat gelatin and such. It's fine with me, and I'm used to it. I do like vegan marshmallows, though. DELICIOUS! biggrin.gif

BTW: I also want to bring up the subject of people who call themselves vegetarians but eat fish. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I personally think that if you're a vegetarian you shouldn't eat anything that was once breathing, living a life, etc.

Edited by sparkle10184

BTW: I also want to bring up the subject of people who call themselves vegetarians but eat fish. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I personally think that if you're a vegetarian you shouldn't eat anything that was once breathing, living a life, etc.

I think the actual term is "pescetarian." Not sure whether it actually counts as vegetarian or not.

General: What do you guys think of tofu? I think it's pretty good (look at me, a big fan of soy products; amn't I fancy :3), but what do you think? I suggest it in soup, particularly miso soup, a soy based (again) type of soup that has many varieties. A lot of Asian restaurants have it on the menu.

Well, if we go into the discussion of soy, I have tons of stuff to talk about biggrin.gif Soy beans are used for lots of stuff, not just in Japan (again, I've seen weeaboos saying stuff like "Only Japan Has Proper Soy Stuff!" so just in case you're mistaken on this) but practically everywhere in Asia. Chinese records show that they've been eating it for about 5000 years or so, the oldest preserved soy beans were found in Korea (again, not sure on this) dated around 1000~900 BCE.

Anyways, enough about the history of soy. And no, you're not fancy. I eat it every week. PWNed! laugh.gif

Miso's just one variant of the many dishes you can make with soy beans, and to be honest, that's not....really a strong emphasis on tofu. It's more on curdled soy, or fermented soybean paste. It looks something like this:

user posted image

Although the shape and how long you ferment it, methods, etc vary from country to country. The picture's just how my country does it. I remember seeing those things around my paternal grandparents' house when I was very, very young. And please don't call all soybean based soup as miso soup. That would be like me calling every bread Western people eat as "croissant." Nope, not true. And NOT interchangeable.

Anyways, you probably won't be able to get "real" fermented soybean paste, because it's hard to make, takes a long time, and expensive, I have a hard enough time getting it. (I live in Asia.)

If you want to make something that has a stronger tofu base, you can try stuff like this:

user posted image

Recipe from here-http://www.takethoufood.com/2010/04/dubu-jjim-steamed-tofu.html

Ingredients:

- 1 block of soft tofu

- 1 tablespoon of green onions, diced, white and light-green parts

- 2 cloves of garlic, minced

- 4 teaspoons of soy sauce

- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil

- 1/2 teaspoon of toasted sesame seeds

- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (you may not remove this, but you can add more/less to your taste)

- 1/2 teaspoon of fresh black pepper

- green part of green onions, diced for garnish

1) Remove excess liquid from the tofu and pat dry. Prepare a steamer and place the tofu on a plate that can go into the steamer. If you don't have a steamer, just put some water into a wok and place a plate with the tofu on top. Close with a lid and bam - you have a steamer.

2) Steam for 10 minutes until the tofu is soft and tender.

3) While the tofu is steaming, make the sauce by mixing together everything else besides the green part of the green onions which we'll use later as garnish. Or just throw it all in there - it's up to you.

4) Remove the steamed tofu after the 10 minutes and pour over the soy sauce mixture on top of the tofu.

5) Serve immediately with some fluffy, steamed rice and find new appreciation for the highly misunderstood tofu.

If you don't like spicy stuff, which we usually serve tofu with (not always-there are other ways to serve tofu, I just can't think of any at the moment because I'm sleepy) you can always make a more soybean-paste centered one like this:

user posted image

Not sure if it'll work, though, because I don't know how "strong" or "flavored" soybean paste is in the West, but here's the recipe anyways, it's from here: http://www.beyondkimchee.com/doenjang-jjigae/

2 cups rice starch water*

6-7 dried anchovies (you can opt to take this one out, but it doesn't taste as yummy if you do, you can use clams or dried shrimps instead, but I'm not sure if vegetarians eat those)

1 piece (3") dried sea kelp

2 generous Tbsp soybean paste

1/2 package (4 oz) tofu, cut into 1" cubes

1/2 onion diced

1/2 zucchini diced

1 garlic clove chopped

1 green or red chili sliced (again, you can take this one out)

1/2 package enoki mushrooms or one handful of any mushrooms sliced

1/2 Asian leek or 1 green onion sliced

* rice starch water : rinse rice once with water and drain. Add a 1/2 cup of water again, toss and swirl around the rice for 30 seconds. You will see the water turning into milk-like. Add 2 cups of water and swirl to collect all the starch from the rice. Drain to save the starch water in a bowl.

Directions

Bring small 1 qt stone or heavy bottom pot over medium-high heat. Toast the anchovies for 1 minute and pour the rice starch water to the pot. Add the sea kelp and bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the anchovies and sea kelp, discard them.

Using a coarse mesh strainer, mash the paste into the pot so it gets incorporated with stock. Add onion, zucchini, chili flakes and let them boil. Add tofu, garlic, chili and cook for 2 minutes.

Lastly add Enoki mushrooms and green onion. Remove the pot from heat and serve hot with rice.

Anyways, there's lots more recipes for non-vegetarian tofu dishes, but I won't get into them here.

Edited by ylangylang

SPS: Well, my peskitarian (still can't spell it) friend mainly eats pizza and fake meat, yes pathetic. I don't see the purpose of it. Not even he knows the purpose.

The purpose of what? What is pathetic?

They even have their own stupid little nickname for us: bloodmouths.

I've gotten called this by a person in real-life before, but that was a pair of vegans who were harassing the wife and I because the wife had to put their child in the system because they refused to change her diet on medical advice from multiple doctors and nutritionists.

Unfortunately I've RL met a few of the preachy types. They tend to congregate around certain kinds of animal rescue shelter. Incidental note - my sister is 2 years younger than I, and I'm still pretty convinced it was the same experiences with the same people that convinced her to go veggie. She's not the preachy type, though, and will actually prepare meat dishes for her husband (she just won't eat them herself, and gets terribly finnicky about cross contamination).

I'm an omnivore.

Bloodmouth is a stupid term and every vegan I've seen using that term uninronically has been militant and overbearing (like many people on tumblr).

Militant vegans, in my opinion, make other vegans look bad. They certainly aren't convincing ME I need to change my eating habits.

I agree with you, jackal. I am an omnivore, my SO is veggie. I have vegan friends. I don't give them rubbish info about how unhealthy they all are (my raised veggie since birth grandchildren are in excellent health, healthier than most of their mates). None of them preaches at me. But I have SO often come across people - on line are worst, but plenty in real life, who are extremely offensive and a couple have even said isn't your partner ashamed of you. Of course he isn't. He will even cook dead things for me ! He is a great believer in live and let live - as everyone should be.

I have also come across people who say that all vegetarians are skinny weeds who can barely lift a pencil because they are all undernourished (tell that to a herbivorous dinosaur... Or to my daughter who is WAY stronger than I am...)

Diet fascism is as vile as any other kind.

But don't knock "fake meat". One reason my veggie friends like it is NOT that it is pretending to be anything that it isn't, but for the texture; they just like a variety of textures on their plates, and it isn't like any veg you can get.

Edited by fuzzbucket

I have nothing against vegetarians so long as they don't pressure for me to change. Although I may joke about how they are missing out on bacon, I don't pressure for them to convert, and I expect them to treat me with the same respect.

I have nothing against vegetarians so long as they don't pressure for me to change. Although I may joke about how they are missing out on bacon, I don't pressure for them to convert, and I expect them to treat me with the same respect.

Then please don't tease them about the bacon. It's rude, and it is effectively pressure.

Then please don't tease them about the bacon. It's rude, and it is effectively pressure.

I tease everyone about everything, I treat them no different than I do everyone else. Also, bacon is the only thing man made worth worshiping.

And thats just the thing, that makes vegans and vegetarians really angry. Teasing about bacon, stupid jokes about how vegans take your foods food away, kids come in, dinner's wilting.... ..etc etc..

That IS pressuring...

And people are wondering why we get aggressive now and then... *shakeshead*.

Edited by Severus_S

I tease everyone about everything, I treat them no different than I do everyone else. Also, bacon is the only thing man made worth worshiping.

OK, fair enough. You are REALLY missing out on my veggie Moussaka, though - and on Quorn Sticky Fillets biggrin.gif

Sorry, but if there's no mean, I ain't gonna eat it. If I could survive on only meat, I would. But alas, we need a "balanced" diet.