Snowytoshi

Vegetarianism/ Veganism

Well then I didn't read all of his posts.

I'll admit with all of the peta2 junk I pick up, it makes it a little easier to accidentally drop some judgmental sounding things.

disclaimer: not a peta person. Just pick up their flyers because I'm addicted to flyers.

Oh okay but yeah the way he is saying things is either coming off entirely wrong or he is actually meaning it so.

I would never say someone eating a vegetarian/vegan diet by choice or by force is wrong and I would hate having the same thing done to me at any time.

Edited by demonicvampiregirl

I've found that being passionate about something is hard to do when you're surrounded by so many people who don't care about the same thing, and is why a lot of vegans may sound preachy or holier-than-thou. But I don't know. That's why I often say things that aren't exactly polite.

I've found that being passionate about something is hard to do when you're surrounded by so many people who don't care about the same thing, and is why a lot of vegans may sound preachy or holier-than-thou. But I don't know. That's why I often say things that aren't exactly polite.

Yeah I can understand.

I just don't like seeing all the condescension or demonizing for either side.

It is all choice and whether it is right or wrong is up to the person alone. I would hope people would understand that instead of being narrow minded.

But then again we'd have to live in a fantasy world where nothing is ever wrong and everyone is happy. :/

Yeah I can understand.

I just don't like seeing all the condescension or demonizing for either side.

It is all choice and whether it is right or wrong is up to the person alone. I would hope people would understand that instead of being narrow minded.

But then again we'd have to live in a fantasy world where nothing is ever wrong and everyone is happy. :/

Yeah, I'm usually OK with people eating meat in my day to day life. I know it's not my choice what they eat, so I get used to having different opinions.

Yeah, I'm usually OK with people eating meat in my day to day life. I know it's not my choice what they eat, so I get used to having different opinions.

Yeah same here. I have a friend who ate like 3 plates of salad once at a all you can eat buffet. I was entirely shocked over it but amused too. -lol- I've never seen someone eat that much salad in a day. -lol-

No one here is from what I can see.

I think people are having issues with how he's either phrasing things or he is actually looking down at people.

When you are saying things like that that makes people see you in a holier than thou attitude.

I don't appreciate that Severus seems to think that if you are not on a vegan or vegetarian diet by nature you are in the wrong for being a omnivore. His post right here seems to make it sound like that if you are not one or the other and are a meat eater that they feel sorry for you and it is immoral. 

I eat meat by a choice and choose not to be vegan/vegetarian. I don't need someone feeling sorry for me because I do not eat the way they do.

Be a vegetarian/vegan all you want but I don't need pity over it either. I chose this life style just as others do and see nothing wrong with it just as you don't see anything wrong with yours. I'm not going to say you are either and I don't need to be pitied.

Edit: I had to edit the quote as I didn't see you edited it before hand so I had the wrong one in. >_<

I simply tried to express that I am sorry that Kagesora has issues with eating and cannot eat anything she likes or might want to try.

THats about all I wanted to say with that sentence, nothing else.

And You will have to excuse me now, ist close to 4 in the morning and I'll go to bed.

ps: I'd really appreciate if You people would read what I wrote and not what You think I wrote. I did not call anyone a murderer or immoral.

Edited by Severus_S

I simply tried to express that I am sorry that Kagesora has issues with eating and cannot eat anything she likes or might want to try.

And You will have to excuse me now, ist close to 4 in the morning and I'll go to bed.

ps: I'd really appreciate if You people would read what I wrote and not what You think I wrote. I did not call anyone a murderer or immoral.

If this is the case where people are not understanding what you are saying maybe you need to clear it up a bit more before posting?

The way your posts are coming off is the opposite of what you explain later on and it's just confusing.

When you are saying things like that that makes people see you in a holier than thou attitude.

I don't appreciate that Severus seems to think that if you are not on a vegan or vegetarian diet by nature you are in the wrong for being a omnivore. His post right here seems to make it sound like that if you are not one or the other and are a meat eater that they feel sorry for you and it is immoral. 

I eat meat by a choice and choose not to be vegan/vegetarian. I don't need someone feeling sorry for me because I do not eat the way they do.

This is why I'm getting the "holier-than-thou" vibe from their posts.

Even if I did have a proper medical condition that made me physically ill if I ate certain foods... I wouldn't want their pity. Pity is something I just don't want.

I simply tried to express that I am sorry that Kagesora has issues with eating and cannot eat anything he likes or might want to try.

I don't need you to feel sorry for me. I'm perfectly capable of feeling sorry for myself, if I feel the need. Especially since I wasn't actually asking for sympathy or empathy. Otherwise it just comes off as pity, and I don't want that, either.

I haven't read this thread and that's pretty much what I think about it. I don't care what people eat or do not eat. Depending on where you live and what foods are availabe, you can live perfectly healthy either way. Or one of the hundreds of ways people figure out are good for them personally.

What I do ask, is that you tell me before you sit at my dinner table, picking and pushing at the food and telling me "oh it's fine, don't worry".

This way, we'll both be unhappy. If you can't or won't eat something, be it because of medical or religious reasons, because you're a vegan or because you hate the taste of xyz - just let me know.

Yeah same here. I have a friend who ate like 3 plates of salad once at a all you can eat buffet. I was entirely shocked over it but amused too. -lol- I've never seen someone eat that much salad in a day. -lol-

Lol, just have to comment on this. I generally eat three plates of mashed potatoes, some form of chicken or fish, and a biscuit of some kind, as well as a bowl or two of a salad, at a buffet tongue.gif

My main reasoning for not being a vegetarian (or whatever the proper term for someone who eats fish too is) Is that there's no way I could get enough to eat. I already don't get enough of the right stuffs, so I doubt that would be much bigger of a problem. But I have a really fast metabolism, to the point where I feel sick if I don't eat enough food. My other reason is that, as long as I don't think about what's in it, meat generally tastes pretty good (And not all of it is made of intestine, so I don't need to think about that laugh.gif)

I love my meat, and vegetarians can eat whatever makes them happy.^-^ Though I am crazy over Sushi.

Unless I run into people like this: [ Link ] Safe! Promise! :]

Then, yes. I take issue with them. People, y u no research options for your pets!? >:[

Lol, just have to comment on this. I generally eat three plates of mashed potatoes, some form of chicken or fish, and a biscuit of some kind, as well as a bowl or two of a salad, at a buffet tongue.gif

My main reasoning for not being a vegetarian (or whatever the proper term for someone who eats fish too is) Is that there's no way I could get enough to eat. I already don't get enough of the right stuffs, so I doubt that would be much bigger of a problem. But I have a really fast metabolism, to the point where I feel sick if I don't eat enough food. My other reason is that, as long as I don't think about what's in it, meat generally tastes pretty good (And not all of it is made of intestine, so I don't need to think about that laugh.gif)

With the mashed potatoes bit you sound like my dad. -lol- He has said before he would love to be at the Great Hall in Harry Potter cuz of the big bowl of mashed potatoes there. xd.png

I think that's Vegan? I think they eat fish and poultry. I'm not overly 100% clear on the difference but I know one has a bit of meat in one while the other has 0 from what I have read.

To me as long as I don't know what is in meat I am fine. I am a very picky eater and don't really wanna know what is in what.

I love my meat, and vegetarians can eat whatever makes them happy.^-^ Though I am crazy over Sushi.

Unless I run into people like this: [ Link ] Safe! Promise! :]

Then, yes. I take issue with them. People, y u no research options for your pets!? >:[

Minus the sushi part I am pretty much the same way. I have heard about the kitten thing before. Made me so upset as I just love cats and putting them in danger like that is sickening. :/

My main reasoning for not being a vegetarian (or whatever the proper term for someone who eats fish too is) ...

I think that's Vegan? I think they eat fish and poultry. I'm not overly 100% clear on the difference but I know one has a bit of meat in one while the other has 0 from what I have read.

You're thinking of a pescetarian. Vegetarians don't eat fish and vegans are even stricter than vegetarians, so they definitely don't eat fish either.

Vegetarians usually just refrain from eating meats, while vegans go deeper and abstain from all animal-based products.

edited to add: I think someone that also eats poultry would be a pollo-vegetarian?

Edited by Dimar

I am out of this thread as it seems I can't get my points across in a way that are understood the way I mean them to be understood...

I won't go back on my views but I see no sense in continuing this.

Just one more thing:

@ Kagesora:I read Your posts in other threads with great interest, as You came across as a person who is interested in things like justice and tolerance. Seems this does not include everyone? I really have better things to do than being insulted by you.

Good bye.. I'm done with this board.

You're thinking of a pescetarian. Vegetarians don't eat fish and vegans are even stricter than vegetarians, so they definitely don't eat fish either.

Vegetarians usually just refrain from eating meats, while vegans go deeper and abstain from all animal-based products.

edited to add: I think someone that also eats poultry would be a pollo-vegetarian?

Ah, okay, thanks. Yeah, no way I could give up my fish. I absolutely love fish <3 But I could do without hamburgers and bacon. I also really dislike chicken, though I'll eat it ravenously if we have it because it's more filling than most of the other foods I get

EDIT: To put things in perspective real quick: The majority of my protein comes from peanut butter

Edited by MasterWeavile898

Isn't there like a 'vegetable' bacon that is a substitute for vegetarians?

Yeah, there's various kinds of fake bacon, sausage, hamburger patties, hot dogs, etc. that are made with different non-meat products and vegetables. Some are tofu or soy, but there's also things like black bean burgers (which I LOVE).

@ Kagesora:I read Your posts in other threads with great interest, as You came across as a person  who is interested in things like justice and tolerance. Seems this does not include everyone?

There's a difference between being tolerant towards those who have different beliefs I disagree with and letting people get away with implying that they're a better person because of their beliefs and the lifestyle choices they make as a result.

And, you might wanna reconsider your word choices. Because that's what's making those implications.

Things like using "irrational" to describe a perfectly valid dietary choice given our physical nature as omnivores really tends to come off as "Well if you chose to eat meat, you're being irrational". And things like "I consider medical reasons to be rational exceptions" also go with the implying that it's not a good or okay choice to eat meat and that choosing not to eat meat is the superior choice.

That really comes off as "holier than thou".

Edited by KageSora

Isn't there like a 'vegetable' bacon that is a substitute for vegetarians?

Yes, but it doesn't taste like real bacon l0l. Which isn't a loss for me because I actually hate bacon.

The problem isn't that they're lacking in certain foods or even that you need to buy supplements. It's that too many people rush head first into a diet without doing proper research.

Ratio-wise, I know far more meat eaters who don't think at all about what they're eating (or worse get soooo caught up on something rather superfluous like how many carbs they're taking in and nothing else) than non-meat eaters who just jumped into cutting meat out. Are there vegans and vegetarians who jumped into it? Sure. Of course. My sister is certainly not more healthy than anybody in my family. She was eating well and eating more vegetables at first but it's not the reason she went vegetarian and has slowly just switched over mainly to microwavable chick'n nuggets and such. But! I know sooooo many more non-meat eaters who did research on proper eating and that's why they switched to non-meat. And I've watched them again and again get beat up by people who, for whatever silly reason, are defensive when they realize my non-meat friends don't eat burgers or bacon. rolleyes.gif In fact, I've watched my friends shrug and say "that's fine" and walked away because they didn't do their diet to preach to others. They simply decided to eat healthier and, after researching hours upon hours, decided on trying vegetarian (and then perhaps moving on to vegan). They felt healthier and that's why they kept going.

That's just my experience. When my friend went vegetarian in middle school she did become sick because she didn't like enough other foods with protein. After seeing her doctor, she did go back to meat. But that was a tween making what amounted to a snap decision. Cutting a food out of your diet is a big choice, yes, but I don't think really many people in the US have much to talk about to others making sure they're getting the right vitamins and etc. because most of us just eat the diet we were raised on. It just so happens that a lot of the time we end up with a good amount of vitamins but I don't think many of us plan specific dishes with specific foods in order to get a good intake of vitamin x, whereas many non-meat eaters do end up having to do that research and do fine. =p

I think there are crusaders on both sides (meat and non-meat) and tbh, it really just baffles me why we care so much about what other people eat. o_O

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I'm a vegetarian. Yeah.

Though not by choice, I have a weird intolerance to meat, and I can't eat it without being extremely sick. Which really sucks, because I love bacon and beef nachos.

I think there are crusaders on both sides (meat and non-meat) and tbh, it really just baffles me why we care so much about what other people eat. o_O

I can agree here. I don't get why it bothers so many people what another person eats. I also feel the same way about a few other things. It really shouldn't be our business at all on it period.

Vegans don't eat animals products, and try to avoid it as much as possible.

When I was vegan, this meant no dairy, eggs, honey, lollies (gelatin), anything with anything derived from animals.

Beside the health fad vegans, it also means avoiding products tested on animals, wool, leather, feathers...

Edited by Legry

Vegans don't eat animals products, and try to avoid it as much as possible.

When I was vegan, this meant no dairy, eggs, honey, lollies (gelatin), anything with anything derived from animals.

Beside the health fad vegans, it also means avoiding products tested on animals, wool, leather, feathers...

Okay so what's the difference between the two then? I apparently have it backwards from my understanding of it. >_<

Okay so what's the difference between the two then? I apparently have it backwards from my understanding of it. >_<

Vegetarian: No eating flesh/meat of any kind. (Will eat eggs, cheese, milk, butter yoghurt and other animal products.)

Vegan: No eating animal products at all. No eggs, no butter, nothing. Sometimes extends to also not wearing any leather, using cosmetics containing animal fat, etc. Basically, "vegan" is the much stricter version.