Pixxelation

Holiday Rereleases

It's been made clear by the shop thread that a lot of people want a way to obtain CB holidays in the years after their releases. It will definitely become necessary eventually, if we want to keep second gens in circulation, and it would be more encouraging to new players if all dragons are available to be obtained as CBs.

So, if we need some sort of solution, why not simply release them as uncommon drops in all biomes during the holiday breeding week three-or-so years after their original release? No complicated point-earning system. No need to invoke rapid change to DC's economy by assigning official values to things. It's a quick, easy solution that fits within the canon of when holidays breed.

Two-CBs-per-scroll would be maintained, should TJ be able to code for that in (which I'm sure he can, given how awesome he is with programming).

Thoughts?

Edited by PieMaster

As long as the 2 per scroll limit is maintained, I have no objections for the Winter and Valentine eggs. Not sure about Halloween tho, since that's a grab as many as you can thing.

Two-CBs-per-scroll would be maintained, should TJ be able to program that in (which I'm sure he can, given how awesome he is with programming). Not sure how Halloweens would work, but I'm sure something could be figured out.

(added this to the OP)

I can't think of any real objections to it, especially for Christmas/Valentine breeds due to the hard CB limit in place. happy.gif The Halloweens will probably be a bit difficult for people on slower connections to catch, but things might calm down a bit after a couple years of doing this.

Halloweens could work the same way, except with no catch limit. The catch limit would be imposed by the sheer variety of Halloweens available - including the inevitable new breed for each yet! If you want all the breeds, that limits you to very few of each breed. And if you want a lot of one or two breeds - including the brand-new one - that keeps you from also stocking up on huge amounts of the other breeds. So I don't see it as a problem. While I like some versions of the store idea, I would also be perfectly fine with this as an alternative proposal, at least for the holidays part of the idea.

Some of the pressure to get the new breed would of course be alleviated by the knowledge that you might be able to get it next year, same as the other older breeds, but still, I for one would be scrambling to figure out how to get as many of all of them as possible, and I know I wouldn't be alone. Because even though it's better than having no chance at them ever again, waiting a whole year is still a long time. Plus, since the drops will be uncommon and mixed in with other eggs, with heavy competition for them, there's no guarantee you'd necessarily be able to catch as many of all the breeds as you'd want anyway. So I think all in all it's already well balanced without need for further limits.

Edited by Lurhstaap

Halloweens could work the same way, except with no catch limit. The catch limit would be imposed by the sheer variety of Halloweens available - including the inevitable new breed for each yet! If you want all the breeds, that limits you to very few of each breed. And if you want a lot of one or two breeds - including the brand-new one - that keeps you from also stocking up on huge amounts of the other breeds. So I don't see it as a problem. While I like some versions of the store idea, I would also be perfectly fine with this as an alternative proposal, at least for the holidays part of the idea.

Halloweens definitely need to be limited. It's not that hard to trade for extra Halloweens and it's not unheard of either that people have gotten past 100 CBs of a single Halloween breed. So yes there needs to be a limit and I propose at max 7 as the limit.

I totally support this idea, especially if the 2 per breed limit for CBs is enforced (only for Vday & Xmas, for Halloweens = no limit). I very much love the idea of people who join now or later can obtain what all of us have. Then they can breed 2Gs and create the lineages they would like without having to purely trade for it. Which in the long run supports more players returning for the Holidays & more pretty eggs circulating around. :3

For me personally, it would allow me to obtain CB Sweetlings 'n' Pumpkins, which I missed out on. I would enjoy working with my own CB Sweets ^^ It's just so limiting what I can do with those lineages because I can't breed 2Gs myself. I'm sure other people run into this same problem and it's such a shame because I (and others, with other holidays) adore their sprites <3

tldr;

Love it. +1

Halloweens definitely need to be limited. It's not that hard to trade for extra Halloweens and it's not unheard of either that people have gotten past 100 CBs of a single Halloween breed. So yes there needs to be a limit and I propose at max 7 as the limit.

How about 8 as a hard cap on old Halloweens instead? It'll let people get 4 pairs for lineage building. smile.gif

Some of the pressure to get the new breed would of course be alleviated by the knowledge that you might be able to get it next year, same as the other older breeds, but still, I for one would be scrambling to figure out how to get as many of all of them as possible, and I know I wouldn't be alone. Because even though it's better than having no chance at them ever again, waiting a whole year is still a long time. Plus, since the drops will be uncommon and mixed in with other eggs, with heavy competition for them, there's no guarantee you'd necessarily be able to catch as many of all the breeds as you'd want anyway. So I think all in all it's already well balanced without need for further limits.

Sounds reasonable to me - and would make life much better for those missing out on older Holiday lineages as well as the CBs themselves.

Saynna does have a valid point, though: it certainly wouldn't take all that many people mass-collecting/trading to wind up with all of the previous Halloween sprites Dropped at unCommon rates... perhaps an annual limit of the previous sprites, if that could be worked out? Even a(nother) pair of each a year would be better than none, if the coding worked better like that, although I've no idea if that would work for those already having adults?

I don't see the point of limtiing people during halloween rereleases

I have to agree.

So what if people have a 100 CB Shadow Walkers?

What stops people from trading for 100 of any other new release CB Halloween?

If that's what they want to use their Halloween slots for, then more power to them. I'll be snatching the CB Marrow or Graves lol. Or using my slots for bred items, for lineages. Why limit people when there is no cap in the first place, just because they are CB??

I love the release on past Christmas/V-day but the Halloween seems un-needed . Unless its the CB marrow/Graves those are seemingly less common with 2nd gens then pumpkins and the last two releases.

100% support. For Halloweens, maybe limit to obtaining only a certain amount (4, 5, 7, 8?) of CB past Halloweens each year. That'll keep them limitless while helping to slightly reduce insanity. Because, trust me, uncommons + limited drop + unlimited collecting is going to turn into a price gouging blood bath real fast.

I'm all for this with Christmas/Valentine's dragons, but Halloweens would need a cap put on the old CBs out of fairness without putting caps on the new ones (which could complicate matters).

I don't like the fact that you can grab as many Halloweens as you want even during normal holiday releases, but I don't think imposing a limit makes much sense here.

I support this. It's a good way of reintroducing CBs without interfering with new holiday releases. It'll be a little disappointing to be less special (more CBs = less trading fodder, whine whine whine), but it definitely is something that it seems the game will need at some point.

Any cons I can think of are purely selfish, so this has my support.

As one who was unable to catch even one CB Marrow during their original release, these are something I would love to have. I also missed the earlier releases of holiday dragons, but I wasn't active during those periods. CBs of the Pumpkins, early Christmas Holly, Snow Angel, Yulebuck) and Valentine, ('09 and Sweetlings) as well as the the chance to get the Desipis, Mistletoe and Heartstealing dragons that I missed would be a dream come true.

And since I was able to trade to pick up an eighth CB of both the Shadow Walkers and the Grave dragons, an 8 dragon limit for rereleased Halloweens is reasonable. I know there were people who managed trade for 20 to 30 or more CBs of some of the Halloween dragons, but that's way beyond the average player's ability to trade. If wishes were horses...

I don't think a limit should remove dragons from players who were able to make those trades, but I don't want to see anyone go through the frustration I felt with the Marrow release, either.

Edited by dragongrrl

This is my thoughts exactly! I don't want to see the limits on Halloween as there are no limits on current year. I think that a person would be limited enough by seven egg slots and the current release to have way to many in one shot.

Total +1

On limits:

Obviously the hard and fast rule on Valentine and Christmas dragons is two CBs per scroll. That's pretty easy to deal with. Now, Halloweens, that's a little harder.

My own thought is a limit of four CB Halloweens of each breed. That way you could, at most, have two pairs of each. Now, there is the (good) argument that we shouldn't limit the Halloweens. My take on this, is that a limit of four of each past CB breed, per year is a good way to go. And that is just in what you yourself can catch at any one time. This does not restrict trading, so it would still allow people to trade for other CBs.

Tldr: You can have four CB past Halloween eggs of each breed on your scroll at any one time. This does not apply to hatchlings or adults. Allowing for unlimited amounts.

Edit:

It's been years since most of the holidays, would that mean that every year we have yet more to choose from from the cave? Cause if this were to be enacted this year, we'd have a lot of catching up to do, and I don't think it'd be possible to catch all the ones one would need. Trading for Christmas and Valentines would boom exponentially.

Edited by shadowfighter

As someone who missed the Yulebuck release by only a few days and missed nearly half the halloween releases I would love to see this become a thing.

I wouldn't mind this. Most of the early holidays I missed because I didn't have internet access at home. I used the campus computers for getting my first dragons aaaand...that means it's closed on Holidays. I missed the Halloween dragons because of Halloween parties and such, so that's my fault.

Since unfreezing really hasn't moved as an idea, I support this. I would rather have my second CB sweetling unfrozen, but if I have to release it and get a new one, then I'll so that.

I have to agree.

So what if people have a 100 CB Shadow Walkers?

What stops people from trading for 100 of any other new release CB Halloween?

If that's what they want to use their Halloween slots for, then more power to them. I'll be snatching the CB Marrow or Graves lol. Or using my slots for bred items, for lineages. Why limit people when there is no cap in the first place, just because they are CB??

This.

The other thing having Halloweens UNlimited would do is put a premium on getting the amount you want in the year they are released. As for people being worried about not being able to catch the re-release.... It SHOULD be hard to get them! They were originally meant to be released at one time and one time only.... While I have no problems with them coming back like this, I feel that it does need to be hard, to encourage people to get what they want when they are first released.

I'll be blunt.... The Cavern Lurker, Grave, and Desipsis releases were dead easy. And trading for extras was quite easy. I have 20 CBs of each of those 3 breeds, and I didn't even extend much effort. Would I trade for more Cavern Lurkers, Graves, or Desipises? No, I would not, because why would I waste scroll space on a CB I already have huge numbers of, when I could be spending space on their babies, and building the lineages which I can work on only once a year?

I think you would find that the trade market for those 3 would not be bad. And after the first year or two, the market for Shadow Walkers, Marrows, and Pumpkins wouldn't be bad, either, even if unlimited. Mind, I'd deff trade for at least 2 male Pumpkins (I managed to get 2 females but no males), but I probably wouldn't even trade for more Marrows, which I love.

And the reason I wouldn't be trading for CBs is the VERY short window in which I can breed the lineages that I want.

Lastly, the other thing you are failing to consider is how many people do not like or want the Holidays. During the last 2 events, I traded people rares for them to raise babies for me to hatchie status, and I found plenty of people who were happy to do so. I'll probably do so again this Halloween, and I'm sure I'll find plenty of such trades.

tl;dr

The market for the last 3 breeds will have low demand because of how common they were and the premium on space for breds during the event. The people who missed it and newbies or maybe a crazy collector or two are the only ones who will choose them over breds. And after a year or two, the market for the older breeds will settle out the same way. So in the long view of time, there is no reason to limit CB Halloweens.

Cheers!

C4.

Holidays are released at holidays. They were released on a certain date and never again. That's personally how I like it and hope it stays. Frankly, I don't give a flip about newer players. They aren't my problem. If they weren't here, they weren't here and that's how the ball bounces. I missed out on some dragons myself, because I wasn't here at the time. Too bad for me. I still don't support this. There isn't a site I'm on that brings everything back just so that new players/players that missed out can have everything. Thank God. Is this selfish? Yeah. And I don't care. At least I have something on this site that not everybody and their brother has 200 of already.

The idea of past holidays CBs dropping in the cave? Oh, no way. I hope this never happens.

In fact, I hope TJ has financial problems one day, needs money fast, has no other options and puts a uber rare dragon up for sale for $$$. I'd snap several of them up in a skinny second and the fact that others couldn't get them be damned. I know that's not happening, but I love it. I LIKE having things others don't. Simple as that.

Edited by MedievalMystic

I would love to have some way to collect the few CB holidays I'm missing, whether by this method or a store or both or some other way. I don't really think the Halloweens need limiting, but wouldn't mind either way.

Question, would the Holly dragons still be able to gender both ways, or would they be like the originals, all male? I feel this is something that's pretty important..

Holidays are released at holidays. They were released on a certain date and never again. That's personally how I like it and hope it stays. Frankly, I don't give a flip about newer players. They aren't my problem. If they weren't here, they weren't here and that's how the ball bounces. I missed out on some dragons myself, because I wasn't here at the time. Too bad for me. I still don't support this. There isn't a site I'm on that brings everything back just so that new players/players that missed out can have everything. Thank God. Is this selfish? Yeah. And I don't care. At least I have something on this site that not everybody and their brother has 200 of already.

The idea of past holidays CBs dropping in the cave? Oh, no way. I hope this never happens.

In fact, I hope TJ has financial problems one day, needs money fast, has no other options and puts a uber rare dragon up for sale for $$$. I'd snap several of them up in a skinny second and the fact that others couldn't get them be damned. I know that's not happening, but I love it. I LIKE having things others don't. Simple as that.

We all like feeling special, like we have something rare and valuable, and others don't have them or aren't able to get them, the human race is cruel in that respect. I honestly feel that it is people such as yourself who drive up the 'prices' of rarer dragons, simply because it's 'special'. But adding this into the cave would help a lot of newer users. Yes, some breeds are rarer than others, but giving people the chance is a great thing towards equality on scrolls. If I had even the chance to get a CB Holly, it'd sting a lot less than if I didn't because I was too late. The first come first served mentality is unneeded in this environment. I would LOVE to make some lineages with certain holidays, and many other people would too. But we can't because we weren't here. Adding this in would help DCs economy, and even out things across the player base. Scrooges aren't needed.

Edited by shadowfighter

We all like feeling special, like we have something rare and valuable, and others don't have them or aren't able to get them, the human race is cruel in that respect. I honestly feel that it is people such as yourself who drive up the 'prices' of rarer dragons, simply because it's 'special'. But adding this into the cave would help a lot of newer users. Yes, some breeds are rarer than others, but giving people the chance is a great thing towards equality on scrolls. If I had even the chance to get a CB Holly, it'd sting a lot less than if I didn't because I was too late. The first come first served mentality is unneeded in this environment. I would LOVE to make some lineages with certain holidays, and many other people would too. But we can't because we weren't here. Adding this in would help DCs economy, and even out things across the player base. Scrooges aren't needed.

Cruel? I call that life.

I breed all the dragons I have, including 2nd gen Golds and holidays, and give them away or toss them in the AP. I don't trade or ask for anything in return. Ever. Not even once. Well, that's a lie...maybe once or twice, years ago... Oh, and thanks to my lightening fast internet, I've also caught many eggs during releases and gave them to people with slow connections who couldn't get any. Scrooge. That's funny.

I'm not worried about 'equality' on an internet game. It's not something I lose any sleep over. Besides, where does it say you're going to be guaranteed equality around here?

The 'I want it so you better find a way to give it to me' mentality is unneeded in ANY environment.

I missed out on some dragons, too, because I wasn't here. That's just how it goes. I wouldn't change a thing, even if it meant I could have those missing CBs.

Edited by MedievalMystic