TJ09

2012-01-23 - Chinese New Year

Yes. Yes it does. But omg jeez, I think being politically correct in artwork is such an unneeded restraint on creativity.

However, I have to agree with you and about stereotyping one culture... even if it's in the form of a dragon. However, if we just have Eastern dragons that weren't called "Chinese" dragons, wouldn't it be fine?

(also, I love the new dragon eggs and hatchlings. I think they'll be wonderful when they grow up and whether or not others want them Eastern I don't care. Having pretty dragons is more than good enough for me.)

The dragon in question was literally named Chinese. The sprite itself also had multiple issues, once of which included size.

I also know that these two sprites have been marked for release for months. TJ had plans to use them, and he finally put them in.

again, we have two finished eatern dragons, and according to ...i forgot who mentioned it, there is an eastern dragon that is waiting 3 years for release. TJ could use them.

Well, dunno about that 3-years one, but the other two are quite normal, just two eastern dragon-like dragons.

Simple? Simple.

As I explained before, that sprite had multiple issues, one of which was being a blatant cultural reference that goes against the section rules. There was also size, color, and the project was never finished. I was around during its creation.

That dragon was not waiting for release. Any dragon on the completed list simply sits there, ready for use. that does not mean it has been marked for use and actually coded into the site.

I believe it was because it had a Chinese character right on the egg. In other words, the chinese culture reference was extremely obvious.

http://browse.deviantart.com/digitalart/pi...dragon#/d19y9dx

Crap, oops. Now that I could actually see the image (they wouldn't load for me for whatever reason before,) that is rather blatant. I'm happy with having one set of eastern dragons though (the silvers.)

...censorkip.gif, you guys keep missing the point completly, don't you?

I'm not whining about celebrating the chinese new year, but about celebrating it with western dragons. I'm too tired to look for my first post, but I just said that I'm dissaponted that they are not eastern, thats all.

And:

again, we have two finished eatern dragons, and according to ...i forgot who mentioned it, there is an eastern dragon that is waiting 3 years for release. TJ could use them.

Well, dunno about that 3-years one, but the other two are quite normal, just two eastern dragon-like dragons.

Simple? Simple.

smile.gif that was a chinese eastern dragon that was created specifically for a chinese new year release. I think some folks were sad we didn't make the deadline that year for it to be ready to be released. I was happy and thought wee! it's finally gonna be released but instead I find myself disappointed by the release.

Has ANYone in the know - any mods or artists - confirmed that the new eggs will drop tomorrow too?

Has ANYone in the know - any mods or artists - confirmed that the new eggs will drop tomorrow too?

Yes. Rubyshoes has confirmed it.

We can only hope for now. I won't be able to catch them today, unless I want to get late for university. >_>

I don't think anyone has confirmed it, but we're all guessing that they will drop for another day at least. The dragons usually drop until they reach their targeted ratio, so common dragons will drop for a while, and rares will drop for less time.

Edit: Just saw that TJ was here. *waves* I've been a very good little dragon caver this year! tongue.gif

Edited by HollyTheColliegirl

Not sure. But these aren't dragons that are specialized to the holiday. They're just normal dragons. There's no reason for them to NOT keep dropping.

They will drop tomorrow, and likely ever day to come excepting holidays (as those days are restricted to their own eggs). The question is whether they will continue to drop en masse tomorrow, that I do not know, as it's solely up to TJ on that.

That dragon was not waiting for release. Any dragon on the completed list simply sits there, ready for use. that does not mean it has been marked for use and actually coded into the site.

But the other two ( this and this) are pretty much normal dragons, no references to any culture. And it's not like Chinese choose which animal will be the patron of the year a week or two before. Everything is set, the 12-years cycle won't suddenly change.

For those of you who are having trouble catching eggs in the cave, try the AP. I just got my second gold there, and I've seen two blues, too.

As I explained before, that sprite had multiple issues, one of which was being a blatant cultural reference that goes against the section rules.

not trying to stir trouble, as i rather like the hatchlings and am grateful for the release, but isn't the "holiday" being celebrated in reference to a specific culture? i think that may be where the confusion is coming from - because the reference here is Chinese new year, so i think it's easy to see why some people would expect an eastern dragon. Not so much a 'chinese' dragon, but an eastern one because the "holiday" being celebrated is of eastern influence.

Sort of like Christmas Dragons - they are all "holiday" dragons but they have references to Christmas more so than any other holiday and are released on Dec 25th.

But the other two ( this and this) are pretty much normal dragons, no references to any culture. And it's not like Chinese choose which animal will be the patron of the year a week or two before. Everything is set, the 12-years cycle won't suddenly change.

Those are significantly more recent completions.

The dragons in this release have been completed well before those other two were even finished.

When dragons are worked on in the public eye, they have to be removed from the list so that the members can forget about them so as not to spoil the release. That's how it always goes.

The only spur of the moment releases (to my knowledge) have been Valentine 09's and Leetle Trees. Everything else has been planned, with sprites removed well before the fact.

Thiefofhearts: Christmas has become a blanket term for the December holiday season. The dragons aren't celebrating the birth of Christ. I mean, plenty of non religious people celebrate Christmas. Christmas has become more than just celebrating the birth of Christ.

Edited by Kila

Not sure. But these aren't dragons that are specialized to the holiday. They're just normal dragons. There's no reason for them to NOT keep dropping.

Ahh, that clears it up. Thank you very much!

Nobody said anything about the Chinese changing their lunar calendar; the 12 year cycles are all written and pre-determined. The two are distinctly Eastern, yes, and don't directly scream Chinese, but again, this isn't a holiday release, this is apparently a coincidental release.

True, the title is "Chinese New Year", but I guess they just felt like releasing a dragon at this particular time, without actually alluding to the onset of the year of the water dragon (in which case I would actually ask for a temp water dragon sprite change; that would've actually been apt, but I won't complain since we have new dragons.)

Not to mention, Asians on this site (more so Asians who actually live in Asia) are a mere minority, from what I assume. At the very least, majority of the site users SEEM to be from the US of A, from all those "Where are you from?" threads.

They have their own reasons for not releasing them; as mentioned, the dragons released yesterday are NOT specialized for a holiday.

if tj had to term it chinese new year he could have at least made it more chinese like.

OR eastern, in that respect. I could also complain over how he used "Chinese New Year," when "Lunar New Year" could've been more apt.

It's not only the Chinese New Year anyway. Other places in Asia celebrate it too.

But it's still not a release to celebrate the holiday, per se.

Edited by Hoar

if tj had to term it chinese new year he could have at least made it more chinese like.

But that's the thing, it can't be a cultural reference.

This release has been walking a very fine line, with people pushing it on both sides.

Well, China is a hugely massive continent. And there are many different 'perceptions' of what is actually Chinese. For example, in my mother's background, blue does not symbolise death and we don't hang blue lanterns anywhere after someone dies.

It's just a dragon release on a pixel site rolleyes.gif

Edited by DarkEternity

Well, China is a hugely massive continent. And there are many different 'perceptions' of what is actually Chinese. For example, in my mother's background, blue does not symbolise death and we don't hang blue lanterns anywhere after someone dies.

It's just a dragon release on a pixel site rolleyes.gif

...Continent? (Kidding! xd.png)

But you're right about your last statement. Sorry for being all pissy on you earlier. 3: A sick girl shouldn't be arguing.

I have two moonies now. \ o3o/

But no goldies. </3

I want a goldie. It looks Eastern-esque to me.

Well - I got two of each egg...I influenced the Blues because they seem to have a confirmed dimorphism. Only took me waiting 3 hours and through many drops but I got them.

I don't know why - but I like the blue ones better than the Gold...Maybe it's because I like blue and the fact that they are going along with the Moon is making me sing 'Blue Moon' in my head.

Seriously thinking of doing a Moonstone/New Blue dragon line...

It's just a dragon release on a pixel site :rolleyes:

China is a country -shot- I don't know if it's considered a subcontinent like India or not...

I finally snagged a gold, though XD thank the powers that be!

Again, guys, TJ released dragons that have been ready for release for months. Maybe even almost a year. That's how it works. Don't get your undies in a bunch over a release that happens to fall on the lunar new year (Chinese new year).

Wow after clicking about a bazillion times I've managed to get ONE Glimmery Gold egg. Hopefully they'll still be dropping tomorrow too. Good luck to all hunters!

It's just a dragon release on a pixel site

My thoughts exactly! xd.png