TJ09

2012-01-23 - Chinese New Year

So far, I've managed to resist the temptation to dump all the eggs that are locking me... I've got just one of the blue eggs so far (I love that egg design).

I'm actually more curious about the official breed names of the new dragons than the appearance of the adult sprites. I've never yet seen a Dragon Cave sprite that struck me as "OMG, hideous, get it off my scroll!", so I'm not worried on that score. Can't wait for TJ's dragons to grow up!

Edited by alabaster_demon

Argh, still can't catch a gold...it's been hours. Got three moonshines though. These better drop for more than one day...

What a kill joy.  I came here to be happy about having two of each type of dragon and instead see people whining and complaining about a gift that was given to them.  How ungrateful!  I think we should all remember that nothing is owed to us, and that the mere fact that the staff did something so wonderful for us should be celebrated and not so deeply criticized.  I could see criticizing if it were something offensive, but it's not.  They're dragons celebrating the year of the dragon and the anniversary of dragon cave.  Be happy, eh?

Happy, happy.  Joy, joy.  Be thankful for such a wonderful event and the fact the staff cares to put on these community builders.  (Thank the spriters too for such beautiful artwork.)

Thanks all for doing this for me and others!

i disagree. no one is complaining (that i saw), in fact i believe everyone that has posted thus far likes the eggs. some people are just curious that given the circumstances, why another style wasn't chosen. no one is being 'ungrateful' as you put it - just asking questions. that is allowed, you know.

i LIKE the styles but i also encourage other people to speak up if they want to ask questions or have opinions - even if it's not with the majority or popular.

LOL, we haven't even seen them yet. Maybe they'll be super-duper awesome and I'll lurve them. :-)

The fact that I'm disappointed at the lack of Eastern style dragons on my scroll doesn't mean I'm going to start throwing Western style ones out the window. It just means I'll have to keep on hoping for the next release, that's all. :-D

I was just kidding =P

I really don't care if they are western or eastern, I'm always happy with a release, and i think they're already beautiful, but I understand what you said.

Also, the moon dragon egg just reminds me the Yin Yang.

guys by the way, there is also a chinese myth a bout 4 legendary dragons, the gold one being the guardian of heaven, and the blue one being the guardian of the underworld. so it does make sense for the coloring

Everybody is allowed an opinion. Let's please take a moment to calm down and enjoy a calm discussion. Remember to respect each other.

Well, I gifted two blue eggs to another user, who will in turn give them to a friend who needs them. **rubs hands together** Now I can snag...excuse me, can try to snag...a couple more golds. biggrin.gif I was going to go to bed, but not now. lol

Edited by MedievalMystic

Good luck medieval, and thanks again! I am positive that my friend will love them and give them a good home. smile.gif

Oo! Oo! Can I have an opinion too?

I like hats! laugh.gif

Also fairly fond of both of the new dragons. But mostly I like hats.

Good luck medieval, and thanks again! I am positive that my friend will love them and give them a good home.

You are most welcome, and I'm sure he/she will! **squish!** smile.gif

I like hats! laugh.gif

Hats are cool too xd.png

I wanna see the adult sprites so bad =/

I like hats! laugh.gif

"I wear a fez now. Fezzes are cool."

I've managed to swap ... well, a pretty ... for two moons that I'm gifting to someone I know hadn't any yet, so I've had a good egg day!

Thank you once again, TJ, for all that you do for us!

*leaves brownies for everyone and heads to bed* Good night!

yes but haven't all the dragons thus far referenced Christmas, instead of other Dec holidays? i think for the winter magi you can stretch it to be the more well rounded holiday dragon compared to the others, but hollies, reindeer, angels and ribbons are a pretty strong pointer to Christmas rather than other Dec holidays. Either way, the reason why someone celebrates Christmas, in this case, isn't important. The reference here is made for a specific holiday (Christmas) and not say, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, the winter solstice or boxing day. The previous dragons released have reflected this.

As this is the Chinese new year dragon, i think it's understandable that there would be some confusion that the dragons being released don't reflect this, simply because experience tells them otherwise. Not really arguing right or wrong here, just trying to see where people are coming from. I know that the site is trying to avoid stereotypes but i do think to take it to this extent is a little silly. Dragons can't make cultural references but other things on the website can - it's honestly confusing.

Then again, the year of the dragon (which is what we are celebrating, right?) is A YEAR LONG, so maybe we shouldn't put the cart before the horse. Maybe there is something else going on with this release that we don't know about. I mean, what if these dragons become super rares once the year of the dragon is over? Or what if these dragons are "lucky" or something?

Most of the colors associate with Christmas are red, gold, green, white, and occasionally blue and silver (I'm a little disappointed we don't have a blue and silver Christmas dragon).

Hollies are based on traditional Christmas colors, which do span a few holidays other than Christmas. Holly berries also grow around this time of year.

Yulebuck...santa's flying reindeer. There's absolutely no religious connotations there. They're colored like candy canes (which for the candy cane's origin I'll give you credit, but today it's just seen as a sweet, minty confection) and it has wings of holly leaves. See above.

The Snow Angels are well known for their singing. Yes, singing, as in carols. Several December holidays have carols. Snow Angels isn't really an accurate name for them, but it was the only ones the spriters really liked that the users came up with.

Ribbons is a stretch. Hanukkah has eight days of presents. Where are ribbons found? On presents.

Again, the Christmas dragons take colors and themes of the holidays without actually being related to any particular religion. They represent the blanket holiday moniker that Christmas has come to represent. The commercial side.

I wouldn't speculate too much. It's already been stated that this is just a regular release that happens to fall on the beginning of the year of the dragon.

At the risk of starting a poo-storm...

Why is everyone making such a big deal of the whys and wherefores of this release? There is no significance beyond a fun way to celebrate an event that, while based in a specific culture, is unofficially observed all over the world. There is no deep behind the scenes meaning to it, its just for fun.

Simply relax, everyone, and just enjoy the new dragons. Don't look for things behind this release that aren't really there. Because, if you look hard enough, you WILL find conspiracies behind EVERYTHING, whether they are real or not.

So, thank you TJ and all the spriters. I know this message will get buried and not make much of an impact, but I just thought it ought to be said.

Just have fun. That's all there really is to this. Just simple, plain fun.

tongue.gifcool.giflaugh.gif

WooHoo! New eggs! I really like the blue hatchling!

I hope that I can eventually get one of each.

Why are they only being released in the Alpine?

I love the blue dragons personally. I kinda want a couple more, but I think i'll wait until the dust settles.

WooHoo! New eggs! I really like the blue hatchling!

I hope that I can eventually get one of each.

Why are they only being released in the Alpine?

When the dragons grow up they'll probably have more info in their description as to why they live in the Alpine. (:

Yulebuck...santa's flying reindeer. There's absolutely no religious connotations there.

No, there's no >religious< connotations there, you're absolutely right; but certainly Santa's flying reindeer would have to be considered a >cultural< reference, wouldn't it?

Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you. I personally think cultural references are just fine as long as they don't venture into the realm of stereotype, which the Yulebuck dragons obviously do not. But arguing that "Santa's flying reindeer" isn't a cultural reference is... kind of strange. What else could it be?

It's scary how fast the eggs have gone. I'm on a relatively fast computer and I've been on for maybe 5 egg drops? But I only got one... I really hope we can breed them, though biggrin.gif

-Jubs

*too lazy for a signature*

Although I am a bit disappointed that these dragons aren't going to be easterns, I understand why TJ chose westerns to avoid culture referencing/stereotypicalness. I'm not saying I dislike the sprites, I just would have preferred TJ had use easterns on the first day of the year of the dragon and used these dragons on a different release. However, I am glad he did something to celebrate the Chinese new year, and I am still grateful for the release.

Who knows? Maybe this will show TJ will how much we wanted more eastern breeds and he will consider adding more to the site for later releases.

But that's just my 2 cents.

Edited by aangs-sister

Yay for a new release! Thanks for the event, TJ and spriters! =]

~Feathers

Who knows? Maybe this will show TJ will how much we wanted more eastern breeds and he will consider adding more to the site for later releases.

That would be awesome. I didn't need them to arrive today, but I really do hope to get some soon. :-)