TJ09

2012-01-23 - Chinese New Year

I really, really wish the "TJ said so" thing wasn't so widely used around here.

Seriously. If we all were just expected to sit here and be happy because someone else said so, the world would be a boring place.

This would have be the PERFECT opportunity to release some new Easterns, considering we only have one out of all the dragon breeds and heaps of Westerns. And that's after--how long has this game been around?--years. Seems unlikely we'll be getting more if this release, out of all of them, didn't introduce some.

Don't know why Teej even allows Eastern dragon requests if he never intends to release any of them. If he doesn't like them, and we won't be getting any more, at least make an addendum to the dragon requests rules so that spriters and conceptors don't waste their time making dragons that will never get released based on their body style.

...then why are we celebrating it 24 days too late?

That's my point. DC doesn't really celebrate the new year with a release. But TJ celebrated the Chinese one. It's still a new year. Why is it being celebrated suddenly? Because it's the year of the dragon.

And btw, this release was celebrating the Chinese new year. Which happened on the 23rd. It isn't a belated celebration of the new year.

Hehe, I think I had a similar preference for the male too. XD Influenced my two male and female for the sprites, but if I trade for more, I'm highly tempted to influence them mostly male. o3o But that would make things difficult if I want to make a PB lineage with them. x)

Haha, I could never do a PB lineage precisely because I end up influencing them all the same gender. Only after the initial excitement do I realize I have 20 males and no females, or vice versa! =T

I'm wondering if female Hellfires and Nocturnes will look nice with the blues =o Male Silvers might also look snazzy, but pfft to CB metallics...

I managed to snag a blue one last night, I'll try for some more after I summon tonight. Thank you TJ and spriters, for the new release.

Yay! New babies to love! Adore the hatchie sprites, and can't wait to see the adults!

Thank you TJ and spriters!

That's my point. DC doesn't really celebrate the new year with a release. But TJ celebrated the Chinese one. It's still a new year. Why is it being celebrated suddenly? Because it's the year of the dragon.

And btw, this release was celebrating the Chinese new year. Which happened on the 23rd. It isn't a belated celebration of the new year.

I'm certain it's so we don't have one release after another release after another release after... etc.

I'm guessing that Chinese New Year was the closest holiday.

Edited by DarkEternity

For those of you having trouble catching these eggs, here's my technique:

1) get an auto refresher

2) depending on how slow or fast your computer is, set it to auto refresh the alpine page ever 2-5 seconds (fiddle with this to find best interval, all computers are different)

3)wait until x:59 (set a watch)

4)once you have 30second or so until hourly drop, put on auto refresher(maybe auto clicker if you have a good one too)

5) CLICK LIKE YOUR FREAKING LIFE DEPENDS ON IT where the eggs are going to appear(be sure to do this while holding the cntrl key so it goes in a new tab so you don't have to go back and forth)

6)check your scroll

7)????

8) SUCCESS!

Haha, I could never do a PB lineage precisely because I end up influencing them all the same gender. Only after the initial excitement do I realize I have 20 males and no females, or vice versa! =T

I'm wondering if female Hellfires and Nocturnes will look nice with the blues =o Male Silvers might also look snazzy, but pfft to CB metallics...

I'm voting for Hellfires.

I don't think it's to mock Chinese New Year's (at least, I hope not), I think it's in part because of ignorance.

And I will be looking back in the other posts... because, what's wrong with cultural influences? Unless this site is just totally for "American"-esque dragons? :|

It's to avoid making a dragon that screams the stereotypes of one culture. It's an attempt to be PC.

It's not because of "Americanized" dragons (there's really no such thing), but because some things do lend the risk of seriously offending someone, like an Angel dragon, for instance. There have been dragons suggested that have been blatant countries, and I denied those.

Taking elements from a culture, like the Tinsel dragon's laurel leaves, and applying them to a prize concept (because Olympic winners wore crowns of laurel leaves) works better than making a Greek dragon that contains stereotypical ancient Greek properties.

Does that make sense?

1) get an auto refresher

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought Auto Refreshers were against Site Rules.

Gender bias, woo! I know what you mean though. @_@ The blue males would look lovely in some checkers anyway. :P Wish I could mate them with male flamingos or marrows. I like how they all have similar crests on their heads. XD

Oooh, I wonder if the females will look nice with male moonstones.

Does anyone know why the egg sprite was changed in the middle of the release? I saw it on wiki and just wondered why.

Also: "Because TJ said so" is the rule because its his website. Without it, you wouldn't have Easterns, or ANY dragons at all for that matter. Then where would you be? Bored on Friday nights, for one thing.

This is the same as the Christmas release. Players are so picky about dragons, and I'm just happy to have them. Maybe that's the noobness coming out in me, but I personally don't like the "Ewwwwww! Its not exactly what I wanted, so I'll post negative comments" attitude I've seen around here.

@the void: Small drops every 5 minutes, big drops at the top of each hour.

@HollyTheColliegirl: Uhh, something about the spriter having a custom egg and then TJ re-uploading that. My knowledge on the matter is very hazy. Might want some clarification. :P

...censorkip.gif, you guys keep missing the point completly, don't you?

I'm not whining about celebrating the chinese new year, but about celebrating it with western dragons. I'm too tired to look for my first post, but I just said that I'm dissaponted that they are not eastern, thats all.

And:

It's to avoid making a dragon that screams the stereotypes of one culture. It's an attempt to be PC.

It's not because of "Americanized" dragons (there's really no such thing), but because some things do lend the risk of seriously offending someone, like an Angel dragon, for instance. There have been dragons suggested that have been blatant countries, and I denied those.

again, we have two finished eatern dragons, and according to ...i forgot who mentioned it, there is an eastern dragon that is waiting 3 years for release. TJ could use them.

Well, dunno about that 3-years one, but the other two are quite normal, just two eastern dragon-like dragons.

Simple? Simple.

Edited by Xatu

Does anyone know why the egg sprite was changed in the middle of the release? I saw it on wiki and just wondered why.

Aha, found the post:

the egg sprite was changed on my request to a custom-shaded one I made~ But it wasn't the Gold's egg. xd.png Not by a longshot, lol.

@Xatu - I'm sorry that this release disappointed you. Hopefully later releases will make up for it. ^^

Edited by Saloiq

Everyone says that TJ would've said something if the new eggs were only going to drop for one day - did he make a statement like that for the Trio release? It was a lot like this - a lot of people not getting eggs then they just quit dropping.

I'm hoping this is n't a repeat of that.

Taking elements from a culture, like the Tinsel dragon's laurel leaves, and applying them to a prize concept (because Olympic winners wore crowns of laurel leaves) works better than making a Greek dragon that contains stereotypical ancient Greek properties.

Does that make sense?

Yes. Yes it does. But omg jeez, I think being politically correct in artwork is such an unneeded restraint on creativity.

However, I have to agree with you and about stereotyping one culture... even if it's in the form of a dragon. However, if we just have Eastern dragons that weren't called "Chinese" dragons, wouldn't it be fine?

(also, I love the new dragon eggs and hatchlings. I think they'll be wonderful when they grow up and whether or not others want them Eastern I don't care. Having pretty dragons is more than good enough for me.)

again, we have two finished eatern dragons, and according to ...i forgot who mentioned it, there is an eastern dragon that is waiting 3 years for release. TJ could use them.

Simple? Simple.

I believe someone explained that there was a reason for that Eastern from 3 years ago that it couldn't be used. Graphics maybe?

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought Auto Refreshers were against Site Rules.

Ok I double checked on this, the site terms say no add-ons that CHANGE the site, it doesn't say anything about auto refreshers. Just in case I will stop using the auto refresher though

Ok I double checked on this, the site terms say no add-ons that CHANGE the site, it doesn't say anything about auto refreshers. Just in case I will stop using the auto refresher though

That's why I said I wasn't 100% sure.. I was hoping a Mod would pop in and confirm/deny but there seems to be none around. Maybe PM one of them and ask?

I believe someone explained that there was a reason for that Eastern from 3 years ago that it couldn't be used. Graphics maybe?

That's what I recall seeing. Apparently, the art style is slightly outdated but then again, so are a lot of other dragons on site.

Maybe because that old sprite has several issues and, let's not forget, is a direct cultural influence.

Found it, Kila talking about the Eastern waiting for 3 years.

Edited by HollyTheColliegirl

I believe it was because it had a Chinese character right on the egg. (I could be wrong though) In other words, the Chinese culture reference was extremely obvious.

Here is the adult => http://browse.deviantart.com/digitalart/pi...dragon#/d19y9dx

Edited by aangs-sister