TJ09

2012-01-23 - Chinese New Year

@ Xatu - From all I hear, TJ just doen't particularly like pure eastern-style dragons in general. Since which dragons get released is generally (primarily) based on what he thinks fits for the game and what he likes in dragons, that would mean that eastern dragons in general may have a lower chance of being released, since they have a lower chance of striking his fancy. (Not zero chance, obviously - see Silvers - but.) These dragons were not made for a holiday-specific release, but were designed some time ago - therefore, they were not designed to fit with the holiday as much as possible. They're just dragons, and he thought it'd be fun to release a couple dragons on this date to mark the occasion.

I'm sorry you're disappointed by the fact that some of the more obviously easern-style dragons weren't picked for this time around, but I hope it's not enough to spoil the release for you. Because it is supposed to just be a general release that coincidentally celebrates the date. :3

It's not that the gold's aren't dropping, it's just that they get snatched up so fontin' fast. OTL

Five moonlight's and egglocked, things look pretty bleak for me.

lol another hour gone and i still couldn't snag a single one unsure.gif congrats to those who got theirs! smile.gif

I wonder if people with slower connections like mine (understandable, as pinging to your servers from Asia will take longer) would be able to snag these. I love these dragons too much, but come on 288 people on the Alpine page is CRAZY.

I miss the times when I could freely get pillow dragons for whoever on there, because not too many people stalked the Alpine page, but now, xAx

@Xatu.

For the Chinese who celebrate Chinese New Year, it has everything to do with Dragons. This is infact the Year of the Dragon for them. So yes, these holiday's do have "something" to do with Dragons.

I think his point is that the other holidays (Christmas, Halloween and Valentine's Day) have nothing to do with dragons, so there shouldn't be events for them. In which case *facepalm*

So, TJ just woke up this morning and thought it would be fun to release a new dragon and, oh my, it happened to be a chinses new year? + the name of the thread

Probably more like "oh hey, it's about time for a new (non-special) release. Oh hey. Chinese new year is soon. And it's year of the dragon. So why not have them coincide?" You're making this out to be way more complicated than it is.

Well, you have a point, but right now there are people who know how the adults look anyway, so what's the difference?

A few people != most of the site.

Edited by DarkLadyNyara

I think DC (or at least these dragons) have some sort of vendetta against me ._. They won't let me catch 'em! *cracks knuckles and puts on her determined face* Okay you eggies.... it's catching time! And you're gonna be on my scroll whether you like it or not! xd.png

So, TJ just woke up this morning and thought it would be fun to release a new dragon and, oh my, it happened to be a chinses new year? + the name of the thread

Tbh, I think it was nice of TJ to acknowledge the Chinese New Year, but to get into an argument about the style of the dragons released is a bit unnecessary. ._. If you look at the title of the image in his post, it says "Year of the Dragon". To me, that seems more like the theme of the release, if there even is one to begin with. Everyone (well, mostly :P) loves celebrating the start of a new year. There wasn't a release for the new year, was there? Why would TJ mention the Chinese new year specifically when he hasn't in the past? Because it's the year of the dragon.

Both of the dragons are beautiful. Let's just enjoy the fact we got some new dragons to commemorate the occasion, no? :3

obviously, that's the problem

Thing is, DC has always been and will always be primarily a collectors site. Grabbing things is all part of gameplay, even though it can be very frustrating at times. >< I totally relate - I suck at grabbing things 99% of the time but even I finally managed to grab three eggs from this release. Don't give up! It's possible to grab some eggs. :)

sigh, what happened to the chinese new year dragon that has been sitting in the wings for 3 years waiting for this very release? I like that dragon better, it's more of an eastern style dragon and if it's a chinese new year release why is tj releasing a dark blue dragon? Blue in chinese culture means death. We are not celebrating death. This release should have some new red dragons like the greater red dragon i saw on the completed list being released not blue dragons.

In chinese culture, people put up dark blue lanturns quite like the colour of the new blue dragon in front of their house to annouce they had a death in the family.

I'm offended by this release. Chinese new year is a happy time of celebration. We are not mourning a death. I'm disappointed.

Edited by bluebell_rose

thats only because others like you don't want to be considerate. And that's a problem.

That’s rather harsh, don’t you think? Just because you like something and therefore want to keep it doesn’t make you inconsiderate. So why should keeping something you like suddenly be inconsiderate when other people want it too?

@HollyTheColliegirl - There was a custom egg sprite made for the golds but TJ didn't upload it until later when the spriter told him about it. There was a post about it earlier, but I don't really want to find it right now, sorry. x_x

Edited by Saloiq

after spazz clicking on a few moons and lots of golds... I nabbed two moons and one gold... and still have room for one more gold... which I will try to get so I have a pair of each and then can breed when they grow up. smile.gif

g'luck to everyone else... this is the hardest release for me in a while too to whoever said it...

@Xatu.

For the Chinese who celebrate Chinese New Year, it has everything to do with Dragons. This is infact the Year of the Dragon for them. So yes, these holiday's do have "something" to do with Dragons.

Ooookay, now I'm not sure if my English-fu failed or you guys are too angry to read the post correctly.

If other dragons actually look like they were released in order to celebrate some holiday, why these can't? It doesn't have to be anything special, just an eastern dragon so releasing them in the day of chinese new year, which starts a year of dragon, would make sense

Edited by Xatu

Probably more like "oh hey, it's about time for a new (non-special) release. Oh hey. Chinese new year is soon. And it's year of the dragon. So why not have them coincide?"

I thought we didn't usually get a release between Christmas and Valentines, though?

I don't remember...

And what happened to the hatchlings that TJ had to finish? I'm so lost! LOL

LOL, you didn't really miss anything there. *g* It was just a tiny inconsistency, because when the final sprites were being gathered for him an older version of the male S2 sprite got mixed in. :3

thats only because others like you don't want to be considerate. And that's a problem.

It has nothing to do with 'consideration'. Why in the world should anyone on this site deprive themselves of their quota...a quota that is theirs by RIGHT...on this game, just because other's are having a hard time? Hell, I'm having a hard time getting golds, but I don't blame other's for snagging what they can, or think of them as 'inconsiderate'! Sheesh! >_<

Righteo, because dragons don't have anything to do with the year of the dragon. Or even DC. .3.

Don't mind whoever posted the original complaint, that was very silly, imo.

sigh, what happened to the chinese new year dragon that has been sitting in the wings for 3 years waiting for this very release? I like that dragon better, it's more of an eastern style dragon and if it's a chinese new year release why is tj releasing a blue dragon? Blue in chinese culture means death. We are not celebrating death. This release should have some new red dragons being released not blue dragons.

Agreed somewhat. I am part-Chinese, but I haven't really heard of blue meaning death (for us, it's more of WHITE which we use in funerals,) but I guess tradition also differs between various Chinese groups.

I loved the actual Chinese New Year dragon though, it would've been more apt, as it's more eastern-styled, as you mentioned. I love the golden dragon. I would wish for red too though, and since this is the year of the WATER Dragon, oh goodness, we need a water dragon revamp. D:

Really? I just asked mummy and she said that I'd be dreaming on if blue meant death...

I have a Shanghainese background. White in funerals, indeed.

And personally, western dragons are more anatomically correct. Eastern dragons have short legs and no wings and are very long... how on earth do they survive Dx

LOL... Dragons are mystical creature, anatomy correct or not, how can we be really sure?

And personally, western dragons are more anatomically correct.  Eastern dragons have short legs and no wings and are very long... how on earth do they survive Dx

MAGIC

I wish TJ would freeze some of his hatchies already so I know which ones to bookmark. >_>

For all those complaining about this release not being Eastern Dragon...

~Image Removed~ TJ, did not post.~

Seriously, folks, get over it.

Arguing about it won't change anything. We got new dragons. That's all that matters.

Edited by _Z_

sigh, what happened to the chinese new year dragon that has been sitting in the wings for 3 years waiting for this very release? I like that dragon better, it's more of an eastern style dragon and if it's a chinese new year release why is tj releasing a blue dragon? Blue in chinese culture means death. We are not celebrating death. This release should have some new red dragons being released not blue dragons.

Maybe because that old sprite has several issues and, let's not forget, is a direct cultural influence.

The Egyptian dragon was scratched for the cultural reason (as was the Djin, and the Persian dragon had to get a rename, etc), and so was that old Chinese concept.

wait i just got home from work, where can i find these new dragons? all the biomes have the same old eggs ):

Alpine Biome. :)

Edited by MysticTiger