TJ09

2011-12-25 - Happy Holidays

@Dark Eternity: Yes, true, but I'd have to wait until next year for unsuccesful breeding attempt with an Holly, so truly, I have to think on this if I even got an HM.....

Edited by White-Sword-Master

^ THIS, this, a thousand times this.

Not everyone is good at decorating or puzzles or what have you either.

X-mas is about GIVING not Competition.

I think a raffle fits the spirit of the holiday perfectly.

Not only that but as was already mentioned lots of users don't have tons of time over the holidays to be on Dc :/

Exactly. It fits the holiday spirit, it's fair, and it's also really fun.

I know I had a better time decorating my wreath this year because I didn't have to worry about it being the best or most unique one in all od DC. I much rather enjoyed decorating it how I wished to, even though it might be a bit common or boring, I like my wreath.

Also, last year I didn't go anywhere during the holidays, which made it a lot easier to get all the ornaments and spend time putting them on the tree. This year, I was out of town, and I was lucky to get on for a few minutes to read the stories and get the ornaments, let alone spend time testing them out in different places and moving them around and trying different things. I just had time to look at them and think they would look good somewhere and put it there. And I know I'm not the only one who travels during this season.

You'd be able to trade the common offspring of a CB Holly alone for a vampire :/

I'd recommend getting dragons that you can't get any other way from a HM..

Agreed. I understand the allure of a CB metal, but as you pointed out earlier, a 2nd gen Holly could easily command CB metallics in trade. Especially if you let the person pick the breed of the parent. So, personally, metallics wouldn't be on my list.

So ITA with your recommendation and, for me, it would be down to a Holly, or something completely unattainable in the cave - CB alts, CB colored stripes, etc. I know that a lot of people would like a Frill for scroll completion, but with so many CB Frills around, it wouldn't be that unique of a prize (but, admittedly, I'm biased because I have a bunch of Frills - <3 them). And I can also see why people would want a CB vampire - because you can't get/make them anymore, but that wouldn't be all that unique either, given how many were caught and those that could be made early on.

I don't trade a lot, but I do think that I would keep potential trade values in mind when choosing.

I don't suppose an HM would allow you to request an spriters alt as in essence it ws for the spriter only.....

But Again, if I got something that valuable, it wouldn't breed for me until 10 christmas's are up, litterally.....It would proly give refusals to every dragon i tried to breed it with, so I guess I'll go with CB silver.....

I asked in Help last year whether I could have a Spriter's alt. Socky said no sad.gif

I don't suppose an HM would allow you to request an spriters alt as in essence it ws for the spriter only.....

But Again, if I got something that valuable, it wouldn't breed for me until 10 christmas's are up, litterally.....It would proly give refusals to every dragon i tried to breed it with, so I guess I'll go with CB silver.....

refusals are turned off for christmas dragons during holidays

@Dark Eternity: Yes, true, but I'd have to wait until next year for unsuccesful breeding attempt with an Holly, so truly, I have to think on this if I even got an HM.....

Actually, there are a lot of people who would trade for a common offspring from a CB Holly, and they can breed those all year round.

I'd probably be willing to trade anything from 2nd gen metallics to neglecteds for White mates to these Hollies:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/T2vi

http://dragcave.net/lineage/Yannp

From non-related CB Holly x CB White.

But, yeah, I think a lot depends on people's scrolls, so what's important to one player won't be another's goals, and that's what makes the game fun (and trading values confusing lol).

Well, either way, I'll never win an HM, maybe a Tinsel Prize which I'd give to someone else and if I did win an HM, I'd either get a CB Vampire or CB Silver, Hollies are nice, but they can still produce an "no egg" sign (Which would still be no egg sign for 10 or more christmas's as I'm a very very unlucky guy) and you can only have 2 Hollies, as you can rather own many Vampires or Silvers(Non-Tinsels).....

So, I'd still choose an worthy HM other then a Holly, but thats just me.......Besides, Holly Dragons are not my favorite dragon anyhow.....

But glad we'll see these new dragons become adult here right directly.....

And I know my 12 raffles will never get me one, I'm the most unluckiest person in the world when it comes to gambling/winning stuff but lucky in surviving every day....

The only thing I'd consider taking instead of a CB holly would be a CB alt sweetling (the gothy black one.) I love that sprite and I love using its offspring for lineages, but it's hard to find suppliers of those offspring (especially the tougher-to-breed ones like red dorsals.) But I'm pretty sure that the way it's coded, it's impossible to have both alt sweetlings and normal sweetlings on the same scroll, so I don't think that's going to be a feasible request.

Of all my Holiday breedings, I have never once gotten a 'no egg' message (even though I /did/ worry about it this year) :/ It's incredibly rare. If you're worried about a 'no egg' message, you can use Fertility to make egg production more likely.

And in my opinion, to an extent a CB Holly is more valuable than a CB Tinsel, precisely because of their breeding patterns.

Edited by DarkEternity

4. Give out a different prize dragon every year. I might have to put my foot in my mouth for this one, because I don't know if this year's prizes are tinsels or something different. I'm really hoping it's something different. If you just give out tinsels every year, then each year's tinsels' eggs will be less valuable than those from the year before, whereas if you give out a different dragon each year, then each year's dragons' eggs are equally special and unique and valuable, as well as being equally lucrative for the owners.

Oh, I don't think that will be a problem, because the population of CB tinsels will still be so small. It'd be like saying the worth of a CB holly will go down if all the honorable mention winners pick CB hollies. A little, maybe, but not enough to matter. :-)

If they're different prize dragons, though, I really hope they're pygmies or drakes. I'd like to see some different dragon breeds get in on the rare lineage breeding game for a change. :-)

@Darketernity: 've used that 10 times, all of them failed, literally used it and it was succesful, but still produced an no egg sign, so it don't help at all.....

Also, I'm a pessimist, and dad wonders why, well, i should say there is nothing in this life that would be looking forward for when you know everything that is going to happen is for someone else's good and I don't care even though I would like to earn money enough to help everyone I can...........

Trust me, and odd thing is, I'm a gemini, proly the first ever pessimistic gemini in the world, but I guess thats who I am.....

--------

So, if I do get an HM, its DEFINITLEY NOT GOING TO BE A HOLLY.....

I'm sorry, but I already know I'm not going to win this years raffle as I already know someone in my family is going to get in a wreck and all I can do is warn them.....

-------------

So, other then that, this is the holiday dragon thread, so I might as lurk to wait for the inevitable dragon coming at our foot steps, the NEW HOLIDAY DRAGON which everything so far looks Awesome....

Since I missed out on last year's tree decorating, I'm quite confused how this raffle in going to work. Will there be a seperate thread saying who won what (and if so...where?) or does a random egg just pop up on the scroll if we've won something or what?

By the by, looking forward to the grown adults of the Christmas dragons! My eggs have holes and the hatchies look really cute!~

The winners will get an email sent to them.. it is the email addy you used to set up your SCROLL - not your forum account (unless that happens to be the same email address that is). Chances are the email will contain a "Claim link" that you then click on to have the egg transferred to your scroll.

Edited by WraithZephyr

The only thing I'd consider taking instead of a CB holly would be a CB alt sweetling (the gothy black one.) I love that sprite and I love using its offspring for lineages, but it's hard to find suppliers of those offspring (especially the tougher-to-breed ones like red dorsals.) But I'm pretty sure that the way it's coded, it's impossible to have both alt sweetlings and normal sweetlings on the same scroll, so I don't think that's going to be a feasible request.

If I recall correctly, last year, winners could only request the closest holiday dragons, which were the Christmas ones. Those of other holidays were not able to be picked.

Also hoping that my new dragons gender faster than the expected 5 day and however many hours. My holly should gender soon. :3

Edited by Jazeki

Agreed. I understand the allure of a CB metal, but as you pointed out earlier, a 2nd gen Holly could easily command CB metallics in trade. Especially if you let the person pick the breed of the parent. So, personally, metallics wouldn't be on my list.

While I would LOVE a CB holly... you can only trade ONE egg from a holly ONCE per year. Whereas with a CB Tinsel.. you can trade multiple offspring all year long. Their 2nd gen offspring command as good a value as the 2nd gen hollies do...probably better since the "gene pool" for tinsels is smaller than that of the hollies I think.

Well the one on the right is frozen. tongue.gif

And YAY 4d 13h left till it grows up and we get to see the adult! biggrin.gif

I agree. Prepare to get commented on negatively tongue.gif

I wish they went with just gold or just silver. I'm not big on the half and half coloring the hatchlings have. They're good, just a bit overdecorated.

Last year we just got an email containing a link to Dragcave allowing us to type in what we wanted as a prize. It also contained a box to type in the code we wanted (if someone wants the same code, then I think it goes to the person who got a better prize). Finally, TJ makes the egg simply appear on your scroll (once you get the prize). Last year, the prizes were distributed about two months after the contest ended. (In february tongue.gif)

Cannot wait for the hatchies to grow up :3

Edited by DarkEternity

While I would LOVE a CB holly... you can only trade ONE egg from a holly ONCE per year.  Whereas with a CB Tinsel.. you can trade multiple offspring all year long. Their 2nd gen offspring command as good a value as the 2nd gen hollies do...probably better since the "gene pool" for tinsels is smaller than that of the hollies I think.

Definitely agree. But the question was CB Golds and Silvers (non-Tinsel) vs Holly, as far as HM choices go. But, yeah, I'm with you that CB Tinsels are the most valuable of all the dragons up for grabs here.

Although, again, I would trade for 2nd gen commons from Hollies, and I know I'm not completely alone in that. Still, nowhere near as valuable as 2nd gen tinsels will be.

I know that a user here was offering CB Golds/CB Silvers for alt blacks from Hollies, as well. Tinsels devalue from 3rd gen onwards.

Though I'd be curious as to how well all the dragons hold onto their trading value if Contest prizes are released each and every year :>

Edited by DarkEternity

Though I'd be curious as to how well all the dragons hold onto their trading value if Contest prizes are released each and every year :>

That's assuming they get released every year, which they might not.

From a collecting point of view, i should really have gone for a Frill, and should i win a raffle ticket and have that option available, then i would probably again think of picking that as a prize..

on the other hand, i said that this time last year, on the premise that i would not win...

afterall

i'm not part of the "in crowd" " i am rarely on the forums or IRC" "have little time" (work 50+hour weeks this time of year) "have a bad connection" (live in a field) & "am not one of the ~creative one's~"

nor did i decorate for viewers, or make pretty pictures, or hidden symbols, i did it to how i liked it to look.. i fact i was so sure i would not have won that i nearly missed the last day for claiming, just from not checking..

and in the event, i went for Holly.. and yes.. it was chosen from a trading perspective.. don't get me wrong, i do love the holly sprite.. but.. her value is not in what she is as such, but what she creates.. which i guess won the christmas spirit vote for me.. a holly i can share with people who may have been the ones who voted for my tree.. a frill, would have been the selfish option, and pleased me, but not so many others..

She is the only one there is a list for and the only one I breed on a fairly regular basis.. 11 babies so far, all now adults smile.gif

so you guys who don't think it can't happen, sometimes it just does..

and when you don't expect it, its far more fun than when you think you *deserve* it !!

smile.gif

Nerys

by the way, skauble, it turns out you have one of HM Nerys' Holi's babies.... lmao... ironic considering your inbox blink.gif