TJ09

2011-12-25 - Happy Holidays

Since I missed out on last year's tree decorating, I'm quite confused how this raffle in going to work. Will there be a seperate thread saying who won what (and if so...where?) or does a random egg just pop up on the scroll if we've won something or what?

By the by, looking forward to the grown adults of the Christmas dragons! My eggs have holes and the hatchies look really cute!~

The more I look at those hatchlings, the more I wish their little tushies were silver-colored instead of gold-colored. 'Cause then I could name mine "Old Saint Nickel-Arse". laugh.gif

Well now you can him "Old 'Aint Nickle-Arse". wink.gif

Is is just me, or does Christmas seem a little quiet this year? There's no usual epic wave o' manic, no-one screaming for catchers, and the cave has been deserted for days. Surely it's not all Biomic?

I loved the event this year- caught my first Holly since first missing out in 07 and even caught a CB Gold (hadn't caught a CB Metallic for 3 years). All in all, a very wonderful Christmas indeed! Thank you to all involved! smile.gif

Must say though, that I do go back to the cave in hopes of finding a surprise Chocolate dragon thrown in for good measure... just in case... smile.gif

Since I missed out on last year's tree decorating, I'm quite confused how this raffle in going to work. Will there be a seperate thread saying who won what (and if so...where?) or does a random egg just pop up on the scroll if we've won something or what?

By the by, looking forward to the grown adults of the Christmas dragons! My eggs have holes and the hatchies look really cute!~

The drawing is New Year's Day, and the winners will be E-mailed. The E-mail will be sent to whatever E-mail you signed up for the cave with.

3. Have next year's prizes be given out based on skill or effort or something, rather than just being given out randomly. I don't mind the system of having users obtain tickets to be entered in a raffle for the prizes, but have the attainment of those tickets be based on some factor other than just logging in and reading. Earning each ticket could be based on something different. One day's ticket could be earned by being one of the quickest 100 people to complete a puzzle (with the timer starting for each individual the moment they start the puzzle, rather than starting the moment the puzzle becomes available, so everyone has a fair shot). One day's ticket could be earned by receiving one of the top 500 scores in a [insert Christmas-themed item] decorating contest. One could be earned by completing a quest like the Halloween event. Perhaps even some of them could be earned in an easy way like simply logging in and reading something, but I think most of them should be earned because you did something better/faster/prettier than everyone else. Truth is, I just feel really helpless right now. I have my 12 raffle tickets, but so do thousands of other people. I wish that giving out the tickets had been based on effort or skill or something, so I could have won more tickets than other users and thus increased my chances. It shouldn't be so...random.

So what about everyone who just doesn't really have the time to do that? I pretty much only had the time and energy to read through a story for the last few days because real life was starting to get to me.

You know DC, you know there's always that small (in comparison to the overall number of people) group that completes everything a little bit after midnight. Plenty of people can't do that. So if the majority of entries were based on 'skill', you'd be screwing a HUGE portion of the DC population out of all but a few entries, and pretty much handing those few midnight people the eggs. And that's not even getting to those in DC who may be disabled in some way and thus be at a major disadvantage, or little kids, or those traveling and have little to no internet access...

Yes, the raffle is very random. But it's also much fairer than any other method.

Hmm.. Means I only miss the Holly's lol!

Wow, didn't think I'd be here this long smile.gif

Happy Holidays all!!(eventhough a tad late wink.gif )

I only have a problem that last year and this year, the Christmas dragons were overdecorated. I don't /like/ the overbearing demeanor these dragons elude, and it gives me a headache to even look at them. I only caught them to catch them. :/. I wish the artists would just stop making the dragons over complicated, and so staticky. It's so boring and bright, almost forced.

So what about everyone who just doesn't really have the time to do that? I pretty much only had the time and energy to read through a story for the last few days because real life was starting to get to me.

You know DC, you know there's always that small (in comparison to the overall number of people) group that completes everything a little bit after midnight. Plenty of people can't do that. So if the majority of entries were based on 'skill', you'd be screwing a HUGE portion of the DC population out of all but a few entries, and pretty much handing those few midnight people the eggs. And that's not even getting to those in DC who may be disabled in some way and thus be at a major disadvantage, or little kids, or those traveling and have little to no internet access...

Yes, the raffle is very random. But it's also much fairer than any other method.

^ THIS, this, a thousand times this.

Not everyone is good at decorating or puzzles or what have you either.

X-mas is about GIVING not Competition.

I think a raffle fits the spirit of the holiday perfectly.

Not only that but as was already mentioned lots of users don't have tons of time over the holidays to be on Dc :/

3. Have next year's prizes be given out based on skill or effort or something, rather than just being given out randomly. I don't mind the system of having users obtain tickets to be entered in a raffle for the prizes, but have the attainment of those tickets be based on some factor other than just logging in and reading. Earning each ticket could be based on something different. One day's ticket could be earned by being one of the quickest 100 people to complete a puzzle (with the timer starting for each individual the moment they start the puzzle, rather than starting the moment the puzzle becomes available, so everyone has a fair shot). One day's ticket could be earned by receiving one of the top 500 scores in a [insert Christmas-themed item] decorating contest. One could be earned by completing a quest like the Halloween event. Perhaps even some of them could be earned in an easy way like simply logging in and reading something, but I think most of them should be earned because you did something better/faster/prettier than everyone else. Truth is, I just feel really helpless right now. I have my 12 raffle tickets, but so do thousands of other people. I wish that giving out the tickets had been based on effort or skill or something, so I could have won more tickets than other users and thus increased my chances. It shouldn't be so...random.

You are probably one of those people who are creative and fast and could win something like that. But there are people like me who are slow, have slow Internet connections, limited time that is usually spent on a mobile device so they can't decorate anything, or just not that creative.

There are just a small percentage of people here on DC that could spend forever doing things like what you are saying. But everyone else doesn't have that kind of time during the holidays. There is also just a small percentage of very skilled people. Now those people would win everything. Some people might not even get ONE entry with what are suggesting.

So yes, if you would win what you are suggesting, it benefits you with less people. But what about other people? Like me or a whole bunch more? That is one of the reasons why I didn't like the tree decorating contest and was so happy to see just a random raffle this year.

Have next year's prizes be given out based on skill or effort or something, rather than just being given out randomly. I don't mind the system of having users obtain tickets to be entered in a raffle for the prizes, but have the attainment of those tickets be based on some factor other than just logging in and reading.

The previous contest was received quite negatively. I think some of the complaining has been removed, but there was a /lot/ of complaining about the Tree Decorating contest giving artistic/creative people an unfair advantage. Thus, the contest is now based on sheer and pure luck.

One day's ticket could be earned by receiving one of the top 500 scores in a [insert Christmas-themed item] decorating contest.

Artistic merit is highly debatable. And if you check the last Tree decorating even thread, the most highly scored tree received a 6.23 overall. And why would you vote somebody 10/10 or give them a high score when it would give YOU an advantage to score everybody 1/10? Human nature. That is simply why a decorating contest would NOT work. And having a puzzle completing contest in a set time limit... that is fanning the flames. So many things could go wrong with a timer. Somebody might be interrupted by parents when completing it, somebody's browser might crash. Some people might be able to inject a script into the site to freeze the clock/time limit. And before you state that only a few hackers would be capable of such a feat, my /brother/ learned how to accomplish that exact feat on a flash game by Googling (for personal use only.)

Truth is, I just feel really helpless right now. I have my 12 raffle tickets, but so do thousands of other people. I wish that giving out the tickets had been based on effort or skill or something, so I could have won more tickets than other users and thus increased my chances. It shouldn't be so...random.

It's funny how opinions change... Just a year ago everybody wished that the selection system would be more arbitrary tongue.gif

I actually hope there will be a new prize dragon. It will be more "unique" because almost everyone has at least one tinsel now.

Their eggs won't be worth as much in trades as the tinsels of last year.

But before I sound to negative: I would absolutely LOVE to get a cb tinsel or any other kind of prize dragon!  biggrin.gif

TJ said something along the lines of, we have a set of prize dragons as contest prizes, why would we need another set of prize dragons? on the IRC. So the prizes are definitely Tinsels.

Yah, speaking on behalf of those DC players -- such as myself -- who have all the artistic talent and skill of a three-toed tree sloth with only two toes, the raffle idea is brilliant. laugh.gif

It will also be wonderful to have more CB tinsels "in play", so that those of us who crave and covet 2nd or 3rd gen eggs from the elusive little critters have a greater chance of realizing that goal. All in all, I'm extremely happy with this year's contest!

Figures that day for everyone to get ornaments and stuff would have got tickets again, i should have known my prey that they didn't; did not come true....

Oh well, and prizes are tinsels, then I hope I just get an honorable mention, at least I can pick an egg from a list that way....If I even win b/c another 1000 people got 12 raffles the day ornaments were back up......

Oh well, even then I'd know I wouldn't get a runner up even if I got all 12 raffles (which I did)

Anyhow....

I love the new dragons, i hope one becomes an adult here shortly.....

Yah, speaking on behalf of those DC players -- such as myself -- who have all the artistic talent and skill of a three-toed tree sloth with only two toes, the raffle idea is brilliant. laugh.gif

It will also be wonderful to have more CB tinsels "in play", so that those of us who crave and covet 2nd or 3rd gen eggs from the elusive little critters have a greater chance of realizing that goal. All in all, I'm extremely happy with this year's contest!

I HEARTILY AGREE!!!!! Hurray for randomness smile.gif

I only have a problem that last year and this year, the Christmas dragons were overdecorated. I don't /like/ the overbearing demeanor these dragons elude, and it gives me a headache to even look at them. I only caught them to catch them. :/. I wish the artists would just stop making the dragons over complicated, and so staticky. It's so boring and bright, almost forced.

I can't help but agree a little. Although I adore the hatchies of this year's Christmas dragons and I don't think they're staticky or overbearing, I don't like the trend of super bright, super sparkly Christmas dragons. :/

If there are honorable mentions this year, I wonder what they would pick. A lot more people got hollies this year, so I think more people would go for a CB alt black/vine and the like...

Edited by Saloiq

CB Hollies have inherent trading value. CB alts and unobtainables.. look nice in lineages?

If I win an HM this year (again) I think I may go for CB Black stripe... :/

16 hoooouuuuurs...

I'm so curious!

I know! I can't wait to see the new adult sprites. biggrin.gif I really like the look of the hatchlings and even if some people might complain, I love the ribbon dancers from last year too. Yes they're bright and loud, but most Christmas decorations are. tongue.gif

So I can't wait to see what we're getting this year. smile.gif I have no idea what it's going to look like, since hatchlings and adults usually look quite different. But I'm excited to find out!

Well I would love to win an egg of choice with my raffles cause it would be a Holly that I would choose. lol I still have not been able to get one myself

I enjoyed the stories and the decorations. Thank you TJ and Spriters

Not only that but as was already mentioned lots of users don't have tons of time over the holidays to be on Dc :/

^This! :0)

If I won the raffle and got to pick a dragon I would totally go with CB Holly! *Crosses fingers* I missed out on them this year. sad.gif

While a Holly would be nice (read: Awesome), I think I'd go for something breedable all year around. A Metallic or a CB (coloured) stripe.

You'll be able to get /at least/ two CB metals from the offspring alone of a CB Holly...

I would go for a Holly in a heartbeat but a black stripe would be pretty darn awesome as well. ....not that I have a snowball's chance but one can dream. rolleyes.gif

I have a feeling that anyone who spent time trying to catch Hollies would say that some of Christmas here is definitely still competition oriented. lol

Honestly, I spent way more time on my tree, last year, than on my wreath, this year, even though both were fun and the ornaments are just gorgeous. So, in that respect, the contest kept me more engaged. That being said, I'm glad we're having a raffle this year. Not because I didn't like the contest - I actually liked it more, even though I didn't come close to winning. It's just that I know that a lot of people were unhappy with that setup, and so I think it's nice that we're trying a new way to see if that works better.

Who knows, maybe there's a third way to try it next year. But I do agree that in this, unlike dragon catching, it's good to consider options that are minimally stressful for most players.

I'm actually really torn about what dragon I'd pick if I won that choice. I can't see choosing anything but a Holly, but that would mean that I'd have to release one of the Hollies I have now, and that feels so wrong. I wonder if it would breed in the wild.

@Skable: I personally agree on what dragon I'd pick like you said, it would be hard if I got n honorable mention even though my chances are 12/165473219805458976.89 chances of getting it (I did all 12 days of reading on the exact day each story came out so I have 12 entries i think, I'm not positive, hope so anyhow..........

But if i did get it, I'd have to choose between these tings

CB Silver, Holly, or Vampire

I got a Higher win, I wonder if I could transfer it to someone else that deserves it....

Edited by White-Sword-Master

You'd be able to trade the common offspring of a CB Holly alone for a vampire :/

I'd recommend getting dragons that you can't get any other way from a HM..

Edited by DarkEternity