Obscure_Trash

Cave Feedback

Back to the "erase" option for lineages- What if they were marked, like the offspring of a dead dragon, but instead of "Deceased" the mother and father were listed as "Unknown"?

It still cuts it off, for those of us who want to be able to see further back... I'm fine with tombstones, but I would like to be able to see by clicking.

Perhaps there could be an option for the owner to be able to see? Viewing past a tombstone rather defeats the purpose of a dead gen, though, and would be the same for a lost lineage.

Edited by Scrac

About the sickness thing, I was just a little worried, cause I have a Gold Tinsel egg and it got sick after 139 views last night, and I REALLY want to shove it in another person's face. The eggI got my Geode from got sick at first after 79. I just think it's a little...ridiculous.

thats how it goes, though. the sickness if meant to make the users actually take CARE of their eggs. to get around it, don't add your eggs to any hatcheries until they're at 6 days left or less. when eggs or hatchies new and fresh, they're very delicate. also keep in mind that adding them to fan sites immediately after they're made won't make them hatch any faster.

its a game of patience :3

Back to the "erase" option for lineages- What if they were marked, like the offspring of a dead dragon, but instead of "Deceased" the mother and father were listed as "Unknown"?

That would drive me batty. A tombstone at least offers closure.

I just think it should be like Wild dragons. The wild dragons don't have interrupted ancestry, so why should dead dragons?

My mother died before my grandmother - I still know my family members (unfortunately rolleyes.gif).

I would like it if things were left as they are. A lot of people have killed some really valuable dragons to get their "doctored" lineages. It wouldn't be fair to them if all that information was suddenly visible after they'd already sacrificed dragons to get those doctored lineages.

Of course, some people might suggest that lineages show past the tombstones only for dragons killed starting now, but I'd really like for the ability to make these doctored lineages to remain. Some dragons are very rare and the only way for many players to get a seemingly low-gen dragon is to kill something. I don't think doctoring lineages is disingenuous, because anyone can see from looking at the tombstones that there used to be other dragons there.

As long as DC doesn't give us an official way to "erase" lineages, then lineages should remain doctor-able.

If there is some sort of option to have the lineage past the tombstone appear or not appear, that choice should go to the person who killed the dragon and not to every user who has progeny.

That would drive me batty. A tombstone at least offers closure.

I just think it should be like Wild dragons. The wild dragons don't have interrupted ancestry, so why should dead dragons?

My mother died before my grandmother - I still know my family members (unfortunately rolleyes.gif).

Yes, but your family members raised you- you weren't abandoned for a stranger to pick up (or, at least, I'm assuming you weren't). Why AP eggs retain lineage and the 'caveborn' stolen eggs from wild dragons don't still makes no sense.

I would like it if things were left as they are. A lot of people have killed some really valuable dragons to get their "doctored" lineages. It wouldn't be fair to them if all that information was suddenly visible after they'd already sacrificed dragons to get those doctored lineages.

Of course, some people might suggest that lineages show past the tombstones only for dragons killed starting now, but I'd really like for the ability to make these doctored lineages to remain. Some dragons are very rare and the only way for many players to get a seemingly low-gen dragon is to kill something. I don't think doctoring lineages is disingenuous, because anyone can see from looking at the tombstones that there used to be other dragons there.

As long as DC doesn't give us an official way to "erase" lineages, then lineages should remain doctor-able.

If there is some sort of option to have the lineage past the tombstone appear or not appear, that choice should go to the person who killed the dragon and not to every user who has progeny.

I actually agree with you totally, but for sake of compromise would (albeit reluctantly) agree to the 'all choose to have the tombstones show or not' option.

I'm pretty sure that information is now gone for good if you've already killed them, and had their lineage disappear.

As said before, I would prefer nothing to change at all, I like the tombstone system as it is now.

I do understand the issue of having your lineages ruined by sudden cut-offs, though. Which is why I do not kill dragons that have offspring on other people's pages at the moment.

Olympe's proposed solution:

If you kill a dragon, its ancestry vanishes for all of its descendants on your scroll.

However, in the lineages of its descendants on other scrolls, the lineage stays intact, but with an option for the new owner to "shorten" the lineage at the tombstones.

This way, your lineage cannot be affected (too badly) by the actions of another player. Yet, if you choose so, you can make use of the short-cut that has been taken by killing your dragon's ancestor(s).

is acceptable to me. Especially if that means that, if I breed something after the doctoring it will not have the history from before the tombstone, even if I trade/gift it to someone else later. That would mean the dragons I bred after I doctored the lineage will only ever appear as I intended them to be.

It does also make sense from a RP view: it is not logical for the things you recorded on your scroll to disappear if someone kills a dragon somewhere else, it is logical that you cannot record information that has not been given to you by your dragon's previous owner.

EDIT: I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to split off the tombstone discussion to its own seperate thread instead of leaving it here in the cave feedback thread? It seems the issue is big enough to have a dedicated thread, and I also feel we're making progress towards a possible solution that might be good for most people, and it would be good to get it 'out there' more, because I know I often skip general threads like this because they become so big...

Edited by Fengari

As said before, I would prefer nothing to change at all, I like the tombstone system as it is now.

I do understand the issue of having your lineages ruined by sudden cut-offs, though. Which is why I do not kill dragons that have offspring on other people's pages at the moment.

Olympe's proposed solution:

is acceptable to me. Especially if that means that, if I breed something after the doctoring it will not have the history from before the tombstone, even if I trade/gift it to someone else later. That would mean the dragons I bred after I doctored the lineage will only ever appear as I intended them to be.

It does also make sense from a RP view: it is not logical for the things you recorded on your scroll to disappear if someone kills a dragon somewhere else, it is logical that you cannot record information that has not been given to you by your dragon's previous owner.

EDIT: I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to split off the tombstone discussion to its own seperate thread instead of leaving it here in the cave feedback thread? It seems the issue is big enough to have a dedicated thread, and I also feel we're making progress towards a possible solution that might be good for most people, and it would be good to get it 'out there' more, because I know I often skip general threads like this because they become so big...

This topic was created: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=126919

"Is there a solution for destroyed lineages?"

Again, I wouldn't want anything to change either.

Yes, but your family members raised you- you weren't abandoned for a stranger to pick up (or, at least, I'm assuming you weren't). Why AP eggs retain lineage and the 'caveborn' stolen eggs from wild dragons don't still makes no sense.

Just wanted to mention that lineages are written on our scrolls, as is other pertinent info on each dragon, (such as day laid, hatched and that of adulthood) so that's why we can see the pedigrees of bred dragons.

CaveBorn dragons come pedigree-free and are therefore assumed to be 'fresh, pure' breeding stock on which we have no lineage information - which therefore cannot apply.

At least, that's my assumption...

I don't know if this has already been brought up, but here goes nothing...

When viewing a trade, only your own eggs/hatchlings can be clicked to get to their respective pages. What I would like to see is being able to do the same with the other person's offer, too.

I don't know if this has already been brought up, but here goes nothing...

When viewing a trade, only your own eggs/hatchlings can be clicked to get to their respective pages. What I would like to see is being able to do the same with the other person's offer, too.

I swear there's a thread for this somewhere...but YES. Please add this- it's really annoying without!

...ah, yup! First point here: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=117670

Just wanted to mention that lineages are written on our scrolls, as is other pertinent info on each dragon, (such as day laid, hatched and that of adulthood) so that's why we can see the pedigrees of bred dragons.

CaveBorn dragons come pedigree-free and are therefore assumed to be 'fresh, pure' breeding stock on which we have no lineage information - which therefore cannot apply.

At least, that's my assumption...

Yes, I know that. What I'm asking is why an abandoned eggs keep information. You shouldn't know anything more about them then the eggs from wild dragons.

Yes, I know that. What I'm asking is why an abandoned eggs keep information. You shouldn't know anything more about them then the eggs from wild dragons.

Maybe it's that the last owner abandons their records of the egg's ancestry alongside it? The records aren't much good to them if they aren't keeping the egg, so when they abandon the egg, they also leave behind their record of its ancestry.

I was just thinking if it would be possible to make an option to only show growing eggs/hatchlings on the first page - no matter how many dragons - and all the adults on the following pages - without having to hide them for not showing on the first page as for pageloading-time

(just a thought) *hops off*

I was just thinking if it would be possible to make an option to only show growing eggs/hatchlings on the first page - no matter how many dragons - and all the adults on the following pages - without having to hide them for not showing on the first page as for pageloading-time

(just a thought) *hops off*

That would be so awesome. <3

What I would also like to see is an easy way to sort individual dragons of a certain breed while still using the Sort Dragons by Breed option.

As an example: I have three CB Blacks - two are at the top of my Blacks, the third one is at the bottom, since the by Breed sorting uses the time they were laid (or grew up?). I would kill for an option to be able to bring the third one up to the other CBs without having to manually arrange everything on my scroll from then on.

And while we're at it, there should be an option to make eggs and growing hatchlings always stick to the top of the scroll, regardless of whether you use an automatic sorting on a manual one.

That would be so awesome. <3

What I would also like to see is an easy way to sort individual dragons of a certain breed while still using the Sort Dragons by Breed option.

As an example: I have three CB Blacks - two are at the top of my Blacks, the third one is at the bottom, since the by Breed sorting uses the time they were laid (or grew up?). I would kill for an option to be able to bring the third one up to the other CBs without having to manually arrange everything on my scroll from then on.

And while we're at it, there should be an option to make eggs and growing hatchlings always stick to the top of the scroll, regardless of whether you use an automatic sorting on a manual one.

There is that option. Account>Change Sort Order>Checkbox: Place Eggs and Unfrozen Hatchlings on top. Or for manual: Account>Change Sort Order>Pick a custom sort, any>Click Resort by: Growth.

More work in the manual, but y'know.

It would be ... *interesting* ... to see the impact of AP eggs being stripped of their lineages. No need to doctor lineages, just bounce that puppy across the AP* and presto-CB!

Being able to make CBs at will - with the cooperation of a couple of friends with fast connections and some luck? Hoooboy, talk about a radical shift in the cave economics structure!

*Yeah, there's a much higher risk of losing the egg than in the /code/-catching days, but we've done it many a time simply to strip off an Influence, or add an extra day, or just for the fun of the scramble.

It would be ... *interesting* ... to see the impact of AP eggs being stripped of their lineages. No need to doctor lineages, just bounce that puppy across the AP* and presto-CB!

Being able to make CBs at will - with the cooperation of a couple of friends with fast connections and some luck? Hoooboy, talk about a radical shift in the cave economics structure!

*Yeah, there's a much higher risk of losing the egg than in the /code/-catching days, but we've done it many a time simply to strip off an Influence, or add an extra day, or just for the fun of the scramble.

user posted image

No. Just...no. That...I mean...NO.

It would be ... *interesting* ... to see the impact of AP eggs being stripped of their lineages.  No need to doctor lineages, just bounce that puppy across the AP* and presto-CB!

Being able to make CBs at will - with the cooperation of a couple of friends with fast connections and some luck?  Hoooboy, talk about a radical shift in the cave economics structure!

Actually, that isn't a bad idea. But I'd want a way of telling between 'real' caveborns and stripped lineaged ones. Maybe real caveborns would keep the 'stolen on' date, while the stripped ones would keep the bred on date.

Then to keep things interesting, allow bred eggs to keep their lineage if they are Teleported. Bred eggs would probably become more valuable and Teleport much more important.. magi eggs might become as valuable as golds, lol.

Edited by Cinnamin Draconna

But as soon as they were in a lineage you'd have to click on them, to see if...

Noooo. Do NOT want.

So instead of tombstones the doctored lineages end up with huge questionmarks? huh.gif

I prefer tombstones. unsure.gif