Obscure_Trash

Cave Feedback

That's kind of the long and smart version of what I was trying to say. I am really pissed about my lineages though sad.gif

I have to say that I don't remember seeing a huge overflow of Winters. Yes, there were a lot of them, but it didn't seem like there were more than, say, Albinos or Balloons or Nocturnes. And I certainly don't remember the fansites being awash with them. I'm not saying that there might not have been more than usual, but it really didn't seem like enough to make them disappear to this extent. Also, it's not as if just the Seasonals were affected; look at the glut of Harvets all of a sudden.

Warning, random speculation ahead: Sometimes I wonder if breed ratios are set by all the breeds in the cave, or according to similar breeds, or both. Meaning that breeds that use similar resources would most be affected by a population shift in one or the other - so that if the Harvests somehow needed a population boost, the Seasonal population would go down in relation to that. But, like I said, that's just random musings.

I was easily able to collect 30 while they were dropping. Not to mention the other 30 or so i recieved as hatchlings after the new release. They were dropping very well, but i wasnt able to breed them when they grew because within a week of moving to alpine, i wasnt getting eggs when breeding. Not even when paired with holidays and rares.

Also: ratios include everything: whats grown, what exists as hatchys, what exists as eggs. If the users are breeding a lot of something (blacks) then the cave doesnt spit as many out. Blacks arent breeding as well, so more are dropping in cave now than were before. Having more commons spitting out means more rares in the long run. Rares were being overbred for awhile, which makes sense for why they arent breeding now (but I see more people complaining about missing cb metals in cave now since they arent breeding as well. Irc is great for general "whats dropping today" information)

My 5 year old caught a cb spring. She missed the two that dropped immediately (within 4 refreshes) before it and the one immediately after. That was the most i had seen in a drop in quite some time. They are still dropping, and i have managed some while breeding. I dont think they are nearly as rare as people think, but demand does make them more rare. Demand has not made them rare enough for me to have any luck trading them as second gens though tongue.gif

I have managed to breed two springs. Out of (just a sec;I keep records...) 37 tries... I hope to try the four SPECIALLY important ones twice more before Armageddon (June 21)

And annoyingly - I think no-one can even help me out here (many have offered, and thanks !) as they are mid lineage ones sad.gif

Also: ratios include everything: whats grown, what exists as hatchys, what exists as eggs. If the users are breeding a lot of something (blacks) then the cave doesnt spit as many out. Blacks arent breeding as well, so more are dropping in cave now than were before. Having more commons spitting out means more rares in the long run. Rares were being overbred for awhile, which makes sense for why they arent breeding now (but I see more people complaining about missing cb metals in cave now since they arent breeding as well. Irc is great for general "whats dropping today" information)
I thought only grown dragons of less than a year of age count? I think that's what TJ once stated. Making all dragons count results in the problem of the Midwinter Madness release, where we didn't see anything but the new dragons for a month or so - which was when TJ changed the max age. Making dragons count for shorter amounts of time, however, makes new dragons very rare, as happened with the Mod Mayhem release, where you could hardly get any of the new eggs at all.

I had already clarified in an earlier post that only this years dragon counted. I saw no reason to repeat that information again in my very next post.

I've just had a thought about the cave cooldown that's mildly worrysome to me (though I see no surefire way to fix it, and thus don't mean to sound like I'm demanding it be fixed - just want to make the observation in case it helps):

We have an incentive system against picking up caveblockers from the cave itself with it.

I don't mean that in the traditional sense that it's often brought up as; of letting people pick them up and then dump them in the AP. But the thing is... you can get essentially all caveblocker species caveborn off the AP. And I've caught myself more often than not just camping on the AP picking up eggs in turn to find caveborn eggs, instead of actually going to the cave to clear the backlog there. Part of that is learned behaviour because the AP sometimes prevents access to the cave. But another part of that is a desire to be flexible - even if I really want to raise a CB caveblocker or three, I'm more inclined to try and nab them from the AP because if someone wants to gift me something, I can toss that back into the AP.

It's given me a bit of a crazy idea that may not be workable at all (I really assume it isn't), but I wanted to at least toss it out there: Would it make sense to have abandoned caveborn eggs dump back into the cave - without readopting the cooldown? Then people who clear caveblockers from the cave would occasionally be rewarded with flexibility, and there'd be no picking up caveborn eggs from the AP at all.

It's not the same as getting rid of the cooldown, because you're playing Russian cooldown roulette (if you pick up an egg that's often dumped back into the AP as CB, it might have a cooldown or it might not); but I think it might open an interesting dynamic.

But... I have no idea what else that would entail. It's probably all kinds of rubbish. All of it. */shot for meme*

But I have a policy of sharing my crazy ideas, however crazy. Maybe something can be gleaned from it.

[ Edit: Some extra wordswordswords for clarity. ]

Edited by pinkgothic

I'm not sure how possible that is, but it's an intriguing idea. (Although, not sure how happy it would really make cave hunters to feel that the commons just get dumped back into their lap while more are being generated, anyway.)

I'm not sure how possible that is, but it's an intriguing idea. (Although, not sure how happy it would really make cave hunters to feel that the commons just get dumped back into their lap while more are being generated, anyway.)

I was thinking about that, too - and I reckon it depends on how much the change would speed things up. It might be net-neutral (just as many blockers tossed into the cave as are being more-speedily picked up), net-positive (more blockers picked up), or even some form of net-negative (less blockers picked up? though I'm not sure how/why this c/would happen (maybe people don't want to play roulette and get angry that they have to play it?); or the idea falls flat entirely as an incentive system and nothing changes, but people subjectively lose the ability to get cooldown-free caveborns).

I haven't the foggiest how to figure out which of those it would be. sad.gif I think that's the really rubbish part. laugh.gif Having no idea what would happen.

Another issue I thought up was "but then no one will look at the AP anymore". I'm not sure if that's a problem, because I don't know how many people go to the AP at first set on only picking up caveborns, but then ending up picking up lineaged dragons anyway (and holding onto them).

And of course there's the problem of "things just don't work that way", in the sense that the 'abandoned page' is called 'abandoned page' for a reason. laugh.gif

I have to admit The Rubbish Idea [TM] is growing on me, though. Mostly because it seems so perplexingly impervious to at least the most obvious rebuttals for something so unabashedly crazy.

...should I make a dedicated thread for this? D: (Or do you maybe want to split these three posts off the Cave Feedback thread?)

Id say, maybe an egg that stays an egg throughout its life and is known as a canvas dragon. It never hatches, at norm hatching time if its received enough views it grows a patern and so on. It would be an egg that is totally untextured, and when it hits the time of what would be adulthood, you could sprite it.

Edited by Oidia

Id say, maybe an egg that stays an egg throughout its life and is known as a canvas dragon. It never hatches, at norm hatching time if its received enough views it grows a patern and so on. It would be an egg that is totally untextured, and when it hits the time of what would be adulthood, you could sprite it.

That would probably go into 'dragon requests'.

The total dump of seasonals needs to be explained, at least, in my eyes.

Can description mods please not modify descriptions if they think a description needs to be changed to be accepted? I don't like when descriptions I write are getting changed. I'd rather have them rejected with an explanation rather then a desc mod changing and then accepting them.

Huh? What happened? Can you tell us?

I mean, if it was just a minor thing like a typo or editing out a swear word, I wouldn't mind. But if the content got altered in more significant ways, I most definitely would.

It was kind of a minor edit - yet not to my liking.

I made a description about a hatchling which was screaming a lot and I added elongated screaming noises (like Graaaaaaaaaaawr!) to the description. Basically it went Scentence 1. Scream noise 1. Scentence 2. Scream noise 2. Scentence 3. Scream noise 3. Scentence 4. Scream noise 4.

It's a silly description, but it fits my humor. Anyway, when I saw the (approved) description, it went:

Scentence 1. "Scream noise 1." Scentence 2. "Scream noise 2. Scentence 3. Scream noise 3". Scentence 4. "Scream noise 4".

So, the desc mod put the screaming noises into quotation marks, but then again didn't put a " after screaming noise 2/ before screaming noise 3, which destroyed the sequence and made scentence 3 become part of the screaming (which it wasn't). And it didn't look good, which is why I didn't include quotation marks from the beginning.

I'd like to decide myself if I put things into quotation marks or rather not bother to (re)submit the description.

I just noticed the breeding habits of geodes changed and they can now drop geode eggs with non-stone-type dragons. Blast, their not breeding true was the reason I wanted some in the first place! Oh well.

In the "Sort By" drop down box, it lists "Age" as an option. Can this be changed to "Stage," please? Because age isn't as clear- it makes me think it'll sort them by which has been longest in existence. (If a filter like that could be implemented, though, that would be awesome.)

Edited by stogucheme

I was thinking about that, too - and I reckon it depends on how much the change would speed things up. It might be net-neutral (just as many blockers tossed into the cave as are being more-speedily picked up), net-positive (more blockers picked up), or even some form of net-negative (less blockers picked up? though I'm not sure how/why this c/would happen (maybe people don't want to play roulette and get angry that they have to play it?); or the idea falls flat entirely as an incentive system and nothing changes, but people subjectively lose the ability to get cooldown-free caveborns).

I haven't the foggiest how to figure out which of those it would be. sad.gif I think that's the really rubbish part. laugh.gif Having no idea what would happen.

Another issue I thought up was "but then no one will look at the AP anymore". I'm not sure if that's a problem, because I don't know how many people go to the AP at first set on only picking up caveborns, but then ending up picking up lineaged dragons anyway (and holding onto them).

And of course there's the problem of "things just don't work that way", in the sense that the 'abandoned page' is called 'abandoned page' for a reason. laugh.gif

I have to admit The Rubbish Idea [TM] is growing on me, though. Mostly because it seems so perplexingly impervious to at least the most obvious rebuttals for something so unabashedly crazy.

...should I make a dedicated thread for this? D: (Or do you maybe want to split these three posts off the Cave Feedback thread?)

I pick up CB Spits from the AP for the fact that I can find more CBs in there than anywhere else. And they're going ot be frozen, anyway, so it really doesn't matter to me if I have a few that are messy, as long as it's kept at at that; a few.

Just my 2 cents.

Using the custom sort feature as I tend to do. But since the latest updates it doesn't work in IE, and I had to boot up firefox for this session (luckily it works in firefox). I hope this is fixed soon. It's only a minor annoyance but no-one likes bugs. (unless they are shiny shiny beetles but thats a different thing haha)

In the "Sort By" drop down box, it lists "Age" as an option. Can this be changed to "Stage," please? Because age isn't as clear- it makes me think it'll sort them by which has been longest in existence. (If a filter like that could be implemented, though, that would be awesome.)

For me it is how long they've been in existence. o.o My eggs and hatchies stay at top, since I have that option check, maybe?

I'm sure this might have been brought up before, but in case it's been forgotten.

While sexing my newly caught eggs, I just discovered I have over a thousand dragons. I think that makes me (and others who've hit that milestone of patience and being able to crank out enough adult/frozen dragons) expert dragonkeepers.

Could the reward for hitting a thousand dragons be an 8th egg slot? (NO OTHER CHANGES, Hatchling Limits stay right where they are).

While I love the added space we have now, because I remember the earlier limits. I like to breed/catch even numbers of dragon pairs. Considering this is Halloween, it's all been incredibly fun going through lineages through the AP and trying to match them up on my scroll. So I got lucky and have four Shadow Walkers to raise now, but I only have three Marrows, and two are going to end up being female by virtue of how their parentage is going.

I have to hope people are still breeding similar matching lines when this batch hatches and doubly hope I'm available to hunt for them (work's really unpredictable lately, it was just really lucky that I had the day off when this event started). I'd like to have just picked up whole pairs and be able to leave the AP alone for others quickly and early in the program, and be comfortable that I can match my potential mates up early.

Could the reward for hitting a thousand dragons be an 8th egg slot? (NO OTHER CHANGES, Hatchling Limits stay right where they are).

No, unfortunately not. TJ said himself that he'd be okay with higher trophies, but that the egg/hatchling limits would have to stay the same (7/21) no matter what.

Oh I am so so picky - BUT -

It would gladden my tidy little heart if the scroll page layout had the badges at the very top, then "if you want to show"

Like this:

user posted image

It looks so - LOVELY that way ! No ? It actually seems to me it USED to be that way - has it switched for the Events ?

Edited by fuzzbucket

My biggest suggestion for the cave, is new releases more often than once every couple months. I get a bit bored because 1) nothing that I want to breed for lineages or gifting - breeds very well, takes forever to get the eggs you want anymore. 2) I have tons of a lot of dragons that are prevalent in the cave these days, so hunting for something takes more time than I have.

Releases a bit more often would help that a lot. I know a lot of people on DC that have the same problem as I do. It's a great game, but it sometimes gets too slow.

It looks so - LOVELY that way ! No ? It actually seems to me it USED to be that way - has it switched for the Events ?

I would actually like the badges below all the boxes and the page numbers. That way all the fun stuff is together and not separated by boxes.