Obscure_Trash

Cave Feedback

I guess i just don't see it that way.

Am I "forced" to pick up eggs from the cave if I want a CB? Sure. Am I "forced" to pick up AP eggs I might not want if I want the cave to not be blocked? Sure.

But I'm not *really* forced to do any of those things. No one is. If no one picked up those AP eggs, DC wouldn't cease to exist or anything. The DC-world wouldn't explode. It would just take a lot longer for the cave to unclog because people weren't picking up AP-eggs they didn't want. That's all.

Saying people are "forced" to play a certain way is like saying that I'm "forced" to put my eggs into fansites so they don't die. If I don't want them to die, then yes, that's the best option, but I'm not being forced into it.

All right, I guess I'll admit that it's not really forcing since the cave is never blocked within the first five minutes of the hour. (Also, I'd say that whether someone is OK with doing something or not doesn't have any bearing on whether they're being forced to do it. If I literally had no choice in whether or not I took an egg from the AP, like it would randomly appear on my scroll or something, it would still be forcing even if it were an egg I wanted all along.)

You all are misinterpreting what I said.

I meant that we shouldn't have to GO to the abandoned page. Maybe it could be suggested, like,

"You see a massive pile of eggs. The pile looks enticing, do you choose to go there instead?"

You could say yes or no.

Also, I'm annoyed that al that cone from the desert drops are like, 3 stones. Nothing else. And the clock of that place is always spotless. You wonder why it's so hard to get a GoN, it's because one of the necessary dragons can only be found in the desert.

I meant that we shouldn't have to GO to the abandoned page. Maybe it could be suggested, like,

"You see a massive pile of eggs. The pile looks enticing, do you choose to go there instead?"

You could say yes or no.

Well, you don't have to go to the AP. You could just sit staring at the cave that isn't giving you eggs, or you could (*gasp*) do something else entirely.

You could say yes or no.

Also, I'm annoyed that al that cone from the desert drops are like, 3 stones. Nothing else. And the clock of that place is always spotless. You wonder why it's so hard to get a GoN, it's because one of the necessary dragons can only be found in the desert.

It 'forces' us because otherwise the AP would just get more and more clogged. It's one of the way the game balances itself, and it's unlikely to change.

If you're only seeing 3 stones whenever you look at the Desert, you're not staying long enough, in my opinion. You have to be patient to play this game xd.png

Not sure if this is the right place, but I wanted to say, LOVE the new "decline" option for teleport. Thank you! <3

You could say yes or no.

Um.... It doesn't automatically take us to the AP. We don't *have* to go there. It says, and I quote,

"As you head off to the (Biome), you see a huge pile of eggs. You decide that there are plenty of eggs there, and traveling is unnecesary."

And it links to the AP. It doesn't *force* you to go there. You can just as easily sit there refreshing and waiting for the cave to be unblocked.

As for the biome drops... Dragons were split into what "biomes" they live in when biomes were introduced. I doubt that will change. Some biomes have more "wanted" dragons then others, which is why we often see one biome completely empty while another one is still clogged.

Just to clear this up - the lineage aka CB-status of a Summoning Trio member does not matter one bit. Same as with the other BSAs Incubate, Influence, Teleport, and Earthquake.

Any magma + any ice + any thunder = Summoning trio. You can Summon just as well with 15th generation inbred trio members as with CBs. You don't *have* to have a CB, fresh from the desert, in order to get your GoN. You can do just fine with a gifted or traded-for bred trio member. No need to spend nights refreshing the Desert screen and cussing the AP. The CBs are nice to have, but not necessary.

Anyhow, back to the ongoing argument ...

Conversely, what do people think about me making the site store the lost linage information so that the lineage can continue past the tombstones, preventing people from "doctoring" lineages. To me, it seems disingenuous to try to misrepresent dragons, so...

Please leave it as it is. Many of us put a lot of effort into making tombstone or 'doctored' lineages like the Tombstone X Rosebud silver tinsel project. It'll be very unfair to undo their hard work because some people are against the idea.

I have made Tombstones for consistency's sake as well, as I rather have a clean Tombstone than a messy inbred 24th gen.

Isn't the point of an online game to interact with people? Isn't half the point of interacting with people that you won't like everything they do, and they probably won't like everything you do? I zombied a Sunstone on Halloween, and it had a baby on someone else's scroll. Either they like it or they don't but they chose to grab an egg that someone else dropped in the AP. I've killed dragons I grabbed from the AP, and maybe some of their breeders were sad when the dragons vanished from their progeny page. Boohoo. Maybe if people didn't breed messy dragons or didn't mess up very nice tinsel lines we wouldn't kill so many. Grabbing an egg from the AP is a risk in any case, because you have no idea the history of the egg or if the owner has plans for zombies and deadlines. You have the right to breed something with a lineage that makes me cringe and I have the right to kill it, erase it from history. You have the right to breed heedlessly into the AP very common dragons with very ugly lineages, and I have the right to bite them, raise them and freeze them, or name it "My Breeder Hates Me".

No one here is complaining about the zombie feature or the neglect feature or the vampire feature, because they all make something that people want. A large number of people want zombies, lots of people want vampires (either for themselves or as trade fodder) and lots of people want neglected dragons (again, often for trade fodder). Why, then, can I not make a doctored 2nd gen tinsel for trade fodder? Most people have very common or very messy tinsel lines, and they have the right to want nicer lines, or shorter lines, or different colors. Just like the people with vampires or 6 days to kill watching an egg approach death, they have the right to create trade fodder. A doctored tinsel with lineage showing with be useless as trade fodder and will prevent lots of people from getting any more tinsels (and some of us like them a lot).

A doctored tinsel with lineage showing with be useless as trade fodder and will prevent lots of people from getting any more tinsels (and some of us like them a lot).

No it won't. I HAVE a doctored tinsel and I adore it. But I would also like to be able to know which CB it came from in the first place.

I know it is a bit uber-geeky, but I would rather not breed it to it's brother, even if I don't KNOW at the moment.

As a general rule I like to look at its even gen lineage. But I'd like to be ABLE to look past that occasionally. Heck - were it not for where it came from, it could even be a Dorkface ! I'd like to know that.

If the site begins storing lineage information, then currently existing 'doctored' lineages will become more valuable, as no more 'doctored' lineages can be made. This may create an unfair advantage for people who have already created 'doctored' lineages and even cause a sudden upsurge in 'doctored' lineages as the ability to create them will soon be lost.

I better knuckle down and work on my dead line tinsel project.

Doctored lineages can be seen to be doctored as it stands. All this would change would be that we would have the ability to see past the doctoring if we chose.

A good idea. The only problem is, what about lineages that have already been doctored? :s

Edited by DarkEternity

A good idea. The only problem is, what about lineages that have already been doctored? :s

Well - as I say - I would like to know the ur-parent of my doctored gold tinsel...

No it won't. I HAVE a doctored tinsel and I adore it. But I would also like to be able to know which CB it came from in the first place.

I know it is a bit uber-geeky, but I would rather not breed it to it's brother, even if I don't KNOW at the moment.

just ask the person you got it from :3

the people who doctor their tinsels know who the original CB parents are, because theyre likely to still have that tinsels (grand)parent. you could also ask them to show you the lineage it was cleaned from. doctored tinsels are usually made by purposefully breeding out a FODDER dragon, and making offspring from that one dragon and its FODDER mate. after a sufficient amount of shinies are made, th two parents are then killed

it takes a lot of work to even doctor a lineage

Edited by ParticleSoup

just ask the person you got it from :3

the people who doctor their tinsels know who the original CB parents are, because theyre likely to still have that tinsels (grand)parent. you could also ask them to show you the lineage it was cleaned from. doctored tinsels are usually made by purposefully breeding out a FODDER dragon, and making offspring from that one dragon and its FODDER mate. after a sufficient amount of shinies are made, th two parents are then killed

it takes a lot of work to even doctor a lineage

She wasn't the killer. biggrin.gif It was a few gens back. And both parents at that level are dead, so the owner's scroll doesn't show, even if it did (as in not name hidden !) biggrin.gif

But - yes I could try with that one. But some tombstones are WAY back in lineages, and the owners may have left or whatever.

I really would like the doctored lineages and the ability to make them be left alone, yet I can understand why some people would be upset by them. It would be nice if we could find a way to please both sides. Many people work hard on their long lineages and many people work hard making doctored lineage. I have several of each myself. To me an erased name in a lineage is just as irritating as actually killing the dragon. I can't control who goes inactive even though I really hate it when it happens and ruins my lineages. I just deal with it.

This is pretty much the take I have on the topic of doctoring lineages. Yes, people work hard on EG lineages and such, but people also work hard on doctored lineages.

Why SHOULD ancestors *poof* into the bit bin when Great-Grandma dies.

Um, this happens in real life too.

I no longer exist in my family tree's genology. Only males are recorded in the family history, and my paternal grandfather didn't record us back in China. My paternal grandfather is dead for 6 years now.

Therefore, I'm now just like a tombstone dragon tongue.gif

In a nutshell, you DO lose your genology after your great grandmother dies in real life if you don't record it. Lots of orphans also don't have any family records either.

Uhm, why changing the system O.o

Why do the tombstones have to have a lineage behind them?

That would ruin the work of a LOT of people.

Srsly, this discussion is ... *shakes head*

Well, when the dragons involved have been incorporated into lineages, having a chunk of that carefully patterned lineage disappear from multiple people's dragons also ruins the work of a lot of people.

So trying to arrive at some form of work-around that will allow both groups of people to have/keep the results of all that time and effort only makes sense.

Re-edit: there was a suggestion about a switch that would allow people to show lineages past tombstones IF they chose, which would solve such problems marvelously well, if that wouldn't be something murderous to accomplish coding-wise.

Something in some respects like the coding that allows different Snow Angel wing patterns on different scrolls, perhaps? might work for scroll-wide choice, although doing this for individual dragons might be pretty tricky?

Since I know nothing of coding, I've no idea, of course...

Edit: just read back a bit on this thread and wondered a bit at a game that effectively tells us to go and do something else rather than play this game because the basic set-up often prevents peoples from playing when they have a chance, lol.

Doesn't seem very game-y, lol, does it?

Edited by Syphoneira

Conversely, what do people think about me making the site store the lost linage information so that the lineage can continue past the tombstones, preventing people from "doctoring" lineages. To me, it seems disingenuous to try to misrepresent dragons, so...

I would like to see this happen, yes.

Then the rare low gens from metalic and tins, will continue beeing as rare as they are supposed to...

Sure, you can see the tombs, and that way identify a doctored lineage, but i still feels like "cheating" in some way. A sec gen metalic/tin is supposed to be rare, not something you can get by killing half the tinsel-population on youre scroll...

And yes, i have also some doctored lineaes on my scroll, but i wouldnt mind "loosing" them, even if i would love them to be as low as they apear to be... (yes, this was eggs i traded for.)

If we who want to see them just to look at them - even though many of us value those doctored dragons - can view them and those who created the lineages don't have to - whose work is "ruined" ?

If you don't want to look - under the most popular suggestion in this thread - "look if you like" - you don't have to.

Then the rare low gens from metalic and tins, will continue beeing as rare as they are supposed to...

Sure, you can see the tombs, and that way identify a doctored lineage, but i still feels like "cheating" in some way. A sec gen metalic/tin is supposed to be rare, not something you can get by killing half the tinsel-population on youre scroll...

And yes, i have also some doctored lineaes on my scroll, but i wouldnt mind "loosing" them, even if i would love them to be as low as they apear to be... (yes, this was eggs i traded for.)

Anybody who looks at deadgens *knows* that they're not real 2nd gens, though. That's the part I don't get - people acting as though they're somehow devaluing the real 2nd gens. They're not, because people are still going to value the real ones over the fake... The thing is, for most people on DC the 2nd gens are unobtainable, so they make do with what they have. So I actually understand this argument less than I understand the frustration that people experience if their even gens or specific lineages are changed.

a doctored 2nd gen tinsel will never be as valuable as a real 2nd or 3rd gen. ever. the real ones are not losing any value being compared to doctored lines.. they are two different things, in two different ball parks. the only difference is that the tombstones are appealing to the people who want them, and are also easier to get. again, this doesnt make them more valuable.