Obscure_Trash

Cave Feedback

This was suggested before (and had lots of support), but the short answer was no. I don't recall the long answer, or I would give that to you, too. x3

Probably because its treated as an egg and you can't name eggs under normal circumstances. Heck, you can't name eggs period. I think TJ has the only named egg.

Actually, a friend of mine showed me one named egg once. It was obviously a joke egg, its parents being a pygmy and a stone dragon. The egg was actually frozen, too. (The name was something like "This would be hilarious", but I cannot find the egg any more.) So, yes, it must be possible to name eggs somehow.

To be fair, that would be hilarious. laugh.gif

I actually like the idea that eggs can't be named. It usually takes me a few days after a release or event to think of a good naming scheme for the new dragon type, so I appreciate the fact that there's still a chance all the good ones won't be taken until everything hatches, heh.

Call it a handicap for slow thinkers. biggrin.gif

(EDITED for stoopid typo.)

Edited by Evilminion

Would there be a way, that if there were two of the same species of egg already sitting there in a given Biome - say Lush Green Hued ones - that the NEXT egg would NOT be of the same species?

Is coding that sort of thing really difficult?

I don't know about the rest of you, but sitting in front of the same three eggs, sometimes for ten bleeping minutes, is just extremely off-putting.

Would there be a way, that if there were two of the same species of egg already sitting there in a given Biome - say Lush Green Hued ones - that the NEXT egg would NOT be of the same species?

I don't know about the rest of you, but sitting in front of the same three eggs, sometimes for ten bleeping minutes, is just extremely off-putting.

It would not work because eventually you get to the end of the egg pile and have all of the same type next to each other.

The types of eggs produced for the egg drop is random and then they get divided up between the biomes...so for each drop, the biomes don't all get exactly the same number of eggs or equal division of species or anything like that.

The 'Cave Scroll' sugestion made elsewhere a while ago would help with this, because then any egg sitting on the far left for whatever period of time (I believe one minute was the time suggested) would (I imagine) sorta roll off the pile, pushed over by incoming eggs from the other side, and sit in the sun until it became ER and, in its futile struggles to hatch without Views, would then frantically roll onto the AP to be snatched up as a suddenly far more desirable catch...

The cave works so that a bunch of eggs are generated and then allocated to the proper place. So in the queue, there may not be so many similar eggs together, but when they get allocated that's how they end up.

(Which, I suppose doesn't really answer the question, but may give some more insight/understanding.) :3

Just tossing in my two cents here tongue.gif

When it comes to biomes, whether or not they become emptied faster or not, I love them smile.gif If it weren't for the seperate biomes, I wouldn't have the dragons I have now (after the changes I mean) For example, I've seen more trio, paper, chicken, etc. eggs now than I would have if the cave were still a whole. Plus, knowing what breeds will drop in which biome (thanks to the DC Wiki) helps in trying to complete my collection. I know metallics are hardly seen, but I've managed to see a few CB golds (and managed to catch one) and a couple CB silvers, which I can never catch. To make a long story short, the biomes in my opinion, are awesome happy.gif Sure, some empty quicker than others, but that's what makes DC fun to play biggrin.gif

Hey... I just had an idea and I figured it would be dumb to make a thread about it, so here goes:

Amphipteres and wyverns being unable to breed outside those categories. Current lineages would be unchanged, only future breedings. (It makes logical sense, and it would encourage people to make more of them in the DR department.)

Hey... I just had an idea and I figured it would be dumb to make a thread about it, so here goes:

Amphipteres and wyverns being unable to breed outside those categories.  Current lineages would be unchanged, only future breedings.  (It makes logical sense, and it would encourage people to make more of them in the DR department.)

But what about existing lineages where the final pair is dragon/amphiptere or dragon/wyvern? They wouldn't be able to breed anymore, so all the work people have put into their lineages would be to waste.

But what about existing lineages where the final pair is dragon/amphiptere or dragon/wyvern? They wouldn't be able to breed anymore, so all the work people have put into their lineages would be to waste.

Well, I mean, there'd still be the existing lineages. And the offspring of those dragons would be even more valuable.

There are five species of Wyvern and five that could be considered Amphipteres (or, at least, are completely legless--and since this is based on leg count I would guess all legless breeds would be able to breed), and some of them are pretty gorgeous dragons, so I suppose it's rather probable that there are lineages based on them.

Well, I mean, there'd still be the existing lineages.  And the offspring of those dragons would be even more valuable.

There are five species of Wyvern and five that could be considered Amphipteres (or, at least, are completely legless--and since this is based on leg count I would guess all legless breeds would be able to breed), and some of them are pretty gorgeous dragons, so I suppose it's rather probable that there are lineages based on them.

But if you have a Thunder/Sunsong checker, you wouldn't be able to breed your final pair of Nebula/Sunsong because Nebulas aren't amphipteres. There wouldn't be any offspring.

Edited by Saloiq

No, please don't change that. I like that dragons are able to breed with (almost) all other dragons (save special categories), and I absolutely don't want it to change.

What would happen to people who tried their hands at things like a gold/sunsong checkerboard lineage? Or a nebula/ember lineage? You couldn't even breed black stripes from nebulas any more.

On another note, I did a little bit of reminiscing about the cave and its changes since I started playing (when I saw one of those "I saw the cave before the change" banners). Let me make a little list of things and give my opinion on them.

1. Egg/hatchling limits: I love the increase, and I'm especially happy that we can still pick up eggs if we have 4 or more hatchies on our scrolls. (For those who don't know this: We could catch 4 eggs and breed a 5th - but we could only catch if we didn't have 4 (or more) hatchlings, and we couldn't even keep bred eggs if we had 5 hatchies.)
  2. Hatching time / growing up time: When I started, young dragons took a random amount of time between 3 and 4 days to hatch/grow up, which usually meant something between 3.75 and 4 days. Now, dragons hatch/grow up after only 3 days, and you can count on it. Another big improvement IMHO.
  3. CB metallics were as good as non-existent, yet breeding was about as bad as it is now. At least we get to see some more CBs nowadays, so it's a plus in my book.
  4. Gender-dimorphism existed only for pinks, silvers and splits. (Okay, that was a change way before The Change, but still.) I love the sprites that we got from the La Femme project, and I'm also very happy about the gorgeous male purple. (Back then, purples were an all-female breed.)
  5. Holiday breeding season was not announced beforehand, so people had to guess when they could breed their holidays. This meant that they were only bred when the new holidays dropped. Now, we know in advance, and can plan accordingly. (If someone needs 4 different kinds of Christmas dragons this year (not counting hollies), he can get them with a little luck - and a little help from other players. Two years ago, this would have been unthinkable. Another plus.
  6. We didn't have teleport, only AP-trading. Quite often, this meant that an egg you wanted to send to someone got lost. Because someone else was just a tad faster. (I lost several rares this way - about half of what I have on my scroll.) So, yes, another definite plus.
  7. A strange markings egg was like Kinder Surprise: You never knew what you'd get. And most often, it was not what you wanted, leading to walls of strange markings eggs in the AP - many of which were CB. Now, we have the remaining three strange markings eggs spread over different biomes. Thank goodness.
  8. When I started, vampires couldn't bite yet. When they could, they would succeed in giving *you* a vampire egg 50% of the time. (A definite improvement.) Now, you usually get only broken shells from biting. (The worst change that I've witnessed so far.)
  9. Pygmies and orchedrakes could only mate within their species. Then we got the pumpkin dragons and the glory drakes - and, recently, a number of new pygmy breeds. Cool.
  10. Rare x rare breeding was passé. I'm glad it's back. (It's one of the many things I supported over time.)
  11. Little trees didn't drop at all, and had only one sprite (the Christmas tree sprite). Now, everybody has a chance of grabbing one. Perfect.
  12. Breeding could result in multi-clutches for each breeding. I'm neutral on this one, though, because we could only keep one egg anyway. (And from the one two-egg clutch of regular eggs that I ever bred, the twin of my kept egg was not taken care of properly, and it died. Seeing this, maybe it is a good thing we only get one egg out of breeding.)
  13. We had only one cave, where (usually) 200+ people competed for 3 eggs. Most of the time, there were three blockers in the cave. (Sounds familiar?) On holidays, you could often see 1000+ or even 2000+ people in the cave, all of them trying for the same three eggs. I don't know what will happen on our next holiday release, but it stands to reason that either one of two things will happen: We'll get the holiday release in all biomes (giving us 6 "caves" to split up to), or we'll get a holiday biome and be able to catch regular dragons in the other biomes. Either way, it's an improvement.
  14. Since I started, there were 33 non-holiday breeds introduced to DC (if I counted correctly), and one breed got retired. We also got one more color of stripes. I think this is a good thing, and I'm looking forward to the next release.
  15. We didn't have any of the following BSAs: Fertility, Teleport (already mentioned), Splash and Summon. We also didn't have any badges yet, and fun events for holidays (Easter eggs, trick or treating, tree decorating) didn't exist, either.
All in all, I like the way the cave has changed over the last two years. (Okay, 1 year and 10 months...) So, yes, good work.

Long post is long...

Edited to add splits to the gender dimorphism list.

Edited by olympe

[*]Gender-dimorphism existed only for pinks and silvers. (Okay, that was a change way before The Change, but still.) I love the sprites that we got from the La Femme project, and I'm also very happy about the gorgeous male purple. (Back then, purples were an all-female breed.)

False. You forgot Splits.

Also, I figured a suggestion that did nothing but restrict players wouldn't get much support. Sadface.

Pfft. Back in my day all the pinks were girls and they were really hard to get. BPs ftw? :V

Also, I figured a suggestion that did nothing but restrict players wouldn't get much support. Sadface.

If you had suggested this before any wyvern or amphiptere breeds got released, I would have supported it, because logically it does make sense. But I don't think it would be right to take away players' abilities to breed more offspring from dragons that they have already made lineages from.

If the restriction had already been in place from the start, I wouldn't have argued against it. But adding it now would totally mess up what I want for copper dragons, which are wyverns. If people hadn't already come in and said "no thanks" I would have.

Naturally, I have no guarantees that TJ will release coppers, or that he likes my ideas for them. (and I'd rather have them released without using my ideas than not released at all) But still. The plans were formed on the basis of them breeding with regular dragons.

Duh, you're right. Edited them in.

Pfft. Back in my day all the pinks were girls and they were really hard to get. BPs ftw? :V
Which only proves that you're playing DC longer than me. smile.gif I'd love to have a BP, btw, but I joined too late.

I don't think this thing I want really deserves its own topic, so imma post it here.

Can we please have a setting that allows us to view all the biomes on one page? It's understandable if no one shares my opinion, but I miss the days where I could poke my head in the cave and see what's dropping at the moment. It's slightly annoying to have to wait for my computer to refresh six times (seven, counting the AP) in order to see whats going on...

Sorry if the idea is stupid, I just wanted to throw my two cents in the ring. sleep.gif

actually, i completely agree with you. I enjoyed the cave a lot more when there was only one cave, and you didn't have to go through all of the different biomes. It was also more fun, because you didn't know what species of dragons would be dropped, and when. Now, we know exactly what is where, and there aren't any suprises any more. personally, i want to just have one cave again. it's more of a challenge, and who doesn't love challenges? even if they just added one main cave on the front page, along with the biomes, i'd be happy

Edited by SoulFang

actually, i completely agree with you. I enjoyed the cave a lot more when there was only one cave, and you didn't have to go through all of the different biomes. It was also more fun, because you didn't know what species of dragons would be dropped, and when. Now, we know exactly what is where, and there aren't any suprises any more. personally, i want to just have one cave again. it's more of a challenge, and who doesn't love challenges? even if they just added one main cave on the front page, along with the biomes, i'd be happy

Yeah, but what three eggs would it show? I guess the three newest of all fifteen eggs showing in the biomes makes sense. But then you'd have a decided advantage over all the other players, and everybody would just hunt there. But then it would get all blocked again, and some people would have to be hunting in the biomes for the "main cave" to move at all, but nobody would hunt in the biomes because you'd have a better chance of seeing a rare in the main cave.

It's a great idea, but I don't think it's really possible to have the main cave and the biomes.

Yeah, but what three eggs would it show? I guess the three newest of all fifteen eggs showing in the biomes makes sense. But then you'd have a decided advantage over all the other players, and everybody would just hunt there. But then it would get all blocked again, and some people would have to be hunting in the biomes for the "main cave" to move at all, but nobody would hunt in the biomes because you'd have a better chance of seeing a rare in the main cave.

It's a great idea, but I don't think it's really possible to have the main cave and the biomes.

ok.... i understand. i guess i got a little carried away. you're right. the whole reason the biomes were added was so there wouldn't be so many people crowding in just one cave

That's what we got the extra egg slots for: To make things move. It's really simple. Go to a biome where a breed you like is dropping. (Or go to a biome where only very few people are hunting.) Grab one random egg (or one that you are content with, whichever). Refresh at once. Look what the next egg is. Chances are, it's one you wanted. Or even a rare.

but if we had one cave and everyone did that, the cave would be moving so much faster. ._.

We did have one cave. Things do seem (to me anyway) to be moving faster with biomes....