Obscure_Trash

Cave Feedback

We have always had to deal with this problem. I think that with the introduction of the biomes and the temporary disabling of the cave blocking, people got a little spoiled.

I have mentioned that I am not sure if there are more eggs dropped (at least potentially) in the biomes than in the old cave. If there are, perhaps the AP should be enlarged - that is, maybe another row or two added before blocking kicks in.

**FYI-Right now it appears that cave blocking kicks in when there are five full rows of eggs in the AP. It then kicks OFF when there are four full rows or less, and doesn't kick back in until five rows fill AGAIN.**

Another possibility would be an different AP for each biome, but that is probably not plausible. Sounds like a coders nightmare to me.

In fairness, I don't think that today, with me haunting two biomes, was any worse than it was on a weekend on the old system.

EDIT - to add FYI

Edited by FosterMom

For that glorious post, I will give you the next alt black that hatches on my scroll.

c:

If I concur, can I have the one after that if it's sitting ??? wink.gif

Cos I do.

Returns to haunting 4 biomes and trawling between them....

(and honestly - I caught good stuff on a 28 k connection for a while. So... I don't even know how fast my current one is (it is radio and hard to tell) but I know many in the homes of people I visit are FAR faster.)

I have mentioned that I am not sure if there are more eggs dropped (at least potentially) in the biomes than in the old cave.

No.. same amount of eggs.. just spread out amongst the different biomes. Since there are so few "desert" species that is why the desert biome always appears to run out of eggs so quickly.

At least the new release helps add more breeds to that section =)

What I'd really like to see is an automated ratio-adjustment of the commons in comparison to each other. (Same amount of commons overall, but no fixed ratios of each common.) This way, more people will get what they want, and fewer people will have to take the breeds they don't want.

What I'd really like to see is an automated ratio-adjustment of the commons in comparison to each other. (Same amount of commons overall, but no fixed ratios of each common.) This way, more people will get what they want, and fewer people will have to take the breeds they don't want.

I'd like that too.

I am not sure but I think something like this was in place for a while, and then got disabled. I think if an egg sits in the cave too long (while the cave is not blocked by the AP), it should poof to the wilderness to grow up. That way the dragon still exists and still counts towards the ratios but no one has to waste a slot raising it, and the different biomes would be constantly moving as long as the AP isn't blocking the cave. One of the things that I don't really understand about DC is that it sometimes feels like its trying to shove undesirable commons down our throats. I don't want or need anymore commons for the most part. I want and need rares. The cave can keep shoving the same few unwanted breeds at me, but I. will. not. take. those. eggs. Nobody can make me want them and if I don't want them I'm not going to pick them up. I've rather have no eggs on my scroll at all than a bunch of eggs that I don't actually need. I would love for the eggs in the cave to move a bit faster rather than just sitting there for such long periods. I feel like having a place for those eggs to go if no one wants to take them makes so much more sense than just letting them sit there for ages. That's one of the reasons the desert is my favorite biome because stuff actually MOVES pretty quickly, though I don't know how long this will remain true, because sooner or later most people will probably have all the moonstone and sunstones they want.

If this isn't a possibility then I support someone else's suggestion of having the eggs poof to a "cave scroll" where they are released to the AP once they are ER-able. An ER egg is basically a hatchling. While I don't feel like picking up common eggs with 7 days left I wouldn't mind picking up common hatchlings because I can have a lot more hatchlings than eggs.

I think if an egg sits in the cave too long (while the cave is not blocked by the AP), it should poof to the wilderness to grow up. That way the dragon still exists and still counts towards the ratios but no one has to waste a slot raising it, and the different biomes would be constantly moving as long as the AP isn't blocking the cave.

I am told that wilderness and / or released dragons no longer count toward ratios. Anyone (like TJ??) who knows for sure what does and doesn't feel free to accept or correct this premise.

I am told that wilderness and / or released dragons no longer count toward ratios. Anyone (like TJ??) who knows for sure what does and doesn't feel free to accept or correct this premise.

I'm also curious. I never got that memo to be sure, and releasing unwanted dragons was a very popular way to add to the ratios for unwanted breeds that you didn't want cluttering up your scroll. If they no longer count towards the ratios, that raising of dragons is for naught, and I'd like to know. I'm sure other people would too. Since it has been explicitly said before that wilderness do count toward the ratios (those recent enough to still be counted, anyway).

I'd like to toss in some feedback. Please please please please PLEASE do not add a bunch of breeds to the desert. I've already noticed some concerns the breeds just released will become blockers there in short time. The desert is the *only* cave that actually moves with some frequency. I for one will stop hunting completely and probably stop playing when that dies for the most part if there is never any motion in any of the biomes. Maybe I'm the only person who feels that way, but I feel like a lot of people like that the desert moves quickly and dislike that the other caves are always blocked. So maybe I'm not the only person feels the game would be killed if we keep adding breeds to the desert.

Not to say that if a dragon fits in the desert it shouldn't be put there, just that I hope those in charge don't feel like the desert is too empty and want to try to stuff it up artificially.

I have to second the liking of how quickly the desert moves. My only hope for the day that it does slow down is that maybe more people will hunt the other biomes, making them move faster if they can't count on the desert moving quickly enough. I know from personal example that with the desert moving so fast, I rarely bother hunting at all between the hour drops.

The Volcano area moves a little faster than the others, if that makes any difference. It's often empty by the time ten of the hour comes around.

I'd like to toss in some feedback. Please please please please PLEASE do not add a bunch of breeds to the desert. I've already noticed some concerns the breeds just released will become blockers there in short time. The desert is the *only* cave that actually moves with some frequency. I for one will stop hunting completely and probably stop playing when that dies for the most part if there is never any motion in any of the biomes. Maybe I'm the only person who feels that way, but I feel like a lot of people like that the desert moves quickly and dislike that the other caves are always blocked. So maybe I'm not the only person feels the game would be killed if we keep adding breeds to the desert.

AGREED 100%. PLEASE don't ruin the desert by filling it up with breeds and slowing down how quickly it moves.

If you absolutely must add more breeds to the desert to the point that it will start moving as slowly as the other biomes, then please add one additional biome--I don't know what you'd call it, but it would be a biome for metallics (and possibly also cheeses, papers, and dinos). This would not be the only place rares would appear, but the only breeds that would appear in this biome would be rares. That way those who like a fast-paced game would have at least one place where they could have a fast-paced hunt and possibly see a metallic. At the hourly drop there might only be a few eggs in this biome and they'd be snatched up in a few seconds flat, meaning that this biome would be empty 99% of the time. But at least we wouldn't have to stare at a bunch of blockers for 45 minutes with possibly nothing to show for it.

All biomes will get filled over time by approprite breeds. Desert will never get filled with dragons that just doesn't fit that climatev(aka artifical stuffing of the biome) more desert breeds WILL appear as time goes by, but so will the other biomes get new dragons. Infact one of my request dragons I submitted is a desert breed.

And a biome where only rares appear = auto no. I extreamlly doubt TJ would make such a place.

Now, a Biome that appears only three times a year... In three different locations would be sweet to have for holiday releases without effecting the other biomes.

Edited by Dolphinsong

Now, a Biome that appears only three times a year... In three different locations would be sweet to have for holiday releases without effecting the other biomes.

Oh, now that would be fun for holidays. I know there's always the conflict during that time, with some afraid they won't be able to get eggs in time, and not wanting anything else to drop, and others frustrated because they've long since gotten all they want/can, and wanting something else to hunt. A holiday biome might be very appealing as a solution to make the most people happy for the longest time.

I'd agree with the "no" on the rare-only biome, though. Yeah, it might be fun to hunt. But... realistically? Who wouldn't be hunting there? If there's a place with no danger of misclicks and a guaranteed rare if you're fast enough... Of course that's gonna be where 99% of users will hang out. If anything, only worsening the issue of cave blocking commons. I just don't see it being at all feasible, or something TJ's likely to go for.

If anything, only worsening the issue of cave blocking commons.

This is really the only reason I'd object to a "rares-only" area. A big reason people pick up blockers is to get to the rares underneath.

Absolutely, yes.

"While walking around, you slide down a slope you could swear hasn't been there before. Ending up in a large and scary cave full of cobwebs, you take a look around. Although you cannot see any dragons around, you see a pile of dragon eggs of a kind you haven't seen before. Three of these eggs catch your eye. Which do you take?" (Halloween?)

"Walking through a wintery landscape, you get imbued with holiday cheer and forget the time. Now, you're standing in front of a grove that seems to emanate cheerfulness. Although you cannot see any dragons around, you see a pile of dragon eggs of a kind you haven't seen before. Three of these eggs catch your eye. Which do you take?" (Christmas?)

"Walking through an almost wintery landscape, you keep an eye out for the first signs of springs. As you walk, you hear the first birds sing their love songs. Or are they really birds? Feeling overwhelmed with the pending season, you walk on when you happen upon a pile of eggs of a kind you haven't seen before. Three of these eggs catch your eye. Which do you take?" (Valentine's Day)

Sorry, couldn't resist. smile.gif

On another note, I'd really like to see two rows of eggs in the extra biome, or one extra row of eggs in each regular biome that only drops event eggs. Plus, a mechanism that puts holiday eggs on top of the AP would be perfect. (Yes, like Xmas 2009...)

On another note, I'd really like to see two rows of eggs in the extra biome, or one extra row of eggs in each regular biome that only drops event eggs.

Yes!

Plus, a mechanism that puts holiday eggs on top of the AP would be perfect. (Yes, like Xmas 2009...)

Very YES! No more fretting over where to leave my mouse while trying to catch a Holly.

Very YES! No more fretting over where to leave my mouse while trying to catch a Holly.

Also, this would be nice for people who breed, to make sure the eggs they abandon are grabbed in a timely fashion.

Yes, TJ has confirmed several times that Wilderness dragons do not factor into the ratios.

Neither do any dragons over one year of age.

I have a suggestion:

Have hatchlings show gender on the teleport screen.

Edit: For clarification, I'm talking on the screen where you pick which ones you are sending specifically. Its difficult when every hatchy on your scroll is one breed and you need to trade specific genders off tongue.gif

Edited by Thuban

*happiness*

So, just today I discovered something that was not there a few days ago (unless my computer's been glitching all this time), but which makes me very happy.

Going in to re-name dragons, it is so nice to have the current name now come up in the field. Most of the time I just want to edit the name that's already there, instead of changing it entirely, and it's been rather annoying to need to copy and paste the current name before changing a few letters or adding a suffix. This makes things so much easier. ^.^

Thank you for the switch, TJ!

I have a suggestion:

Have hatchlings show gender on the teleport screen.

Edit: For clarification, I'm talking on the screen where you pick which ones you are sending specifically. Its difficult when every hatchy on your scroll is one breed and you need to trade specific genders off tongue.gif

But but but - if they are gendered the gendered image shows (Just tested...)

But but but - if they are gendered the gendered image shows (Just tested...)

Yes, but many breeds don't have separate sprites for the male/female S2s. :3

Yes, but many breeds don't have separate sprites for the male/female S2s. :3

Ah. Good point ! Never thought of that !

Perhaps the wild red dragons can incubate the ap eggs to make ap eggs more appealing to people.