kadoatie

Do you have a Dorkface? (v2)

I voted no because I feel the rules should be applied on the same basis for everyone. If TJ does this now (not even sure if it's possible...), where will it stop?

This exactly. Yes, I'm disappointed that they've lost their names, but Nine has already said that he's taken them just to keep them safe and will give them back when he can. I don't think any exceptions should be made to the rules because if it's done to one person, then who else is it going to be done to? Anyone who has 'popular' names?

So yeah, I'm really against this. Hopefully we'll see the two restored to their full glory at some stage, but not by any kind of special permission or anything from TJ. smile.gif

I also agree with some of the people saying no, and will only go ahead if ladiefare gives permission, but i do not see what is wrong with creating this prior to her saying we can do it so we can go ahead as soon as possible.

Well, the original post makes it seem like the petition is about giving them back their names. Except, now that we know they're being held for ladiefare, then TJ doesn't have to do anything at all - because if ladiefare came here and gave her permission for having them renamed, then why couldn't she simply rename them herself?

If this is about making the names permanent, then that should probably be clarified. Because if this is just about the renaming, and if ladiefare's consent is necessary for this, TJ's a kind of unnecessary component.

Voted NO

They know the rules. They know this could happen..

Sry.

Voted NO

They know the rules. They know this could happen..

Sry.

I agree (also with Fengari).

I voted yes for one reason, Execptions can always be made to a rule but the rules are put in place to prevent any unfair leg ups.

I'll use a couple of real life examples

You need to graduate from college and the one you go to requires a certain amount of time spent studying a foreign language. You have a LD (learning disorder) that makes it difficult to learn other languages. You are excused from that requirement.

You're at a rabbit show and you're only allowed to show purebreds. But! your specific breed is now allowing a type of cross-bred to be breed back in for stabilities sake. You can now show your cross-bred.

In the case of Midas Dorkface and his mate Shallyna'ar, I deem they have become worthy of an exception due to the fact that they are the founders of their lineage which has touched almost every player in DC...some players may not notice that they have been touched at all (I thought I didn't have a Dorkface until I took a hard look at my Tinsel), it would add more history to this amazing long lasting lineage.

I request that TJ not bend the rules this once but instead write an exception and note that it was requested by players because of the impact the lineage has had...they will be the only two dragons permantly named making them more special.

Sorry if long spleel is long those two exceptions came from my life and I have plenty more to back it up. Sure its just a game but well *shrugs* I think it'd be a cool aspect to add to the game.

Edit: Wanted to add some ingame exceptions we have in game already. There is one Leetle Tree that has a lineage, and in that lineage its father and mother are the same Leetle Tree...also both of these Leetle Trees are named.

Missingno was a glich that was allowed to remain, not something you normally have happen on an interenet site making that 'dragon' unique!

We also have the Leetle Stack of Pancakes that is one of a kind...so if we have those exceptions to the rules why not add one here?

Edited by brairtrainer

Edit: Wanted to add some ingame exceptions we have in game already. There is one Leetle Tree that has a lineage, and in that lineage its father and mother are the same Leetle Tree...also both of these Leetle Trees are named.

Missingno was a glich that was allowed to remain, not something you normally have happen on an interenet site making that 'dragon' unique!

We also have the Leetle Stack of Pancakes that is one of a kind...so if we have those exceptions to the rules why not add one here?

My main reason for not wanting an exception is that it assumes that this will never happen again - that no other lineage will ever be as popular, or that no other lineage creators will leave the game.

Frankly, I think this situation is a good incentive for everyone to sit down and see if there isn't a workable solution to the more and more frequent concerns of lineage preservation. But whatever is decided, I think that it should definitely be a. something owners consent to, and b. available to any dragon that meets a given criteria.

Exceptions in these kind of matters are all too often temporary solutions to larger issues that I think are worth permenantly solving.

Voted no.

No user deserves special consideration. The argument listed here is, the lineage has 'touched' us all. Well, I argue that Midas and Shallyna'ar are still the same dragons they've always been, with a name or without a name.

The names are recognisably DC, yes, but aren't other names just as important?

For example, my real name and my username is 'taken' by another user who's not me. As you might imagine, I felt like I fully deserved that name, because it's... well mine.

Even though I don't 'own' my real name, I imagine reclaiming that name from someone else's scroll without their consent would make them feel disappointed, angry and furious even. Even if we somehow persuaded the owner to give up that name, that would be the result of peer pressure (if they didn't want the name, why would they otherwise claim it?)

Point is, names are fair game. You lose your name, anyone else can pick it up. Even if it's your real name. Even if you signed up for DC in 2007 you have absolutely no more right to that name than any other user if you go inactive.

As for TJ writing an exception. The forum was very quick to argue against the following proposition in Suggestions (which I by the way supported): which went along the lines of making multiple dragons capable of having the same name. i.e. this suggestion

The main argument was basically composed of 'our names are special', 'we earned the right to them', 'we collect them so it's part of the game'.

So what's so different about Midas and Shallyna'ar? If I were to put it in a very oversimplified way, a very large percentage of the forums shot down the very suggestion that could possibly 'save' the names now. The vindictive part of me is telling me that you guys should have taken the opportunity to think about the suggestion carefully before condemning it.

I remember how many people condemned that suggestion.

Suddenly everyone seems to be changing their mind about these two dragon. The vindictive part of me is again laughing at the irony that an argument that 'fake' thuweds and 'fake' Midas Dorkfaces (which would occur if the suggestion was implemented) are really no more genuine the 'real' Midas and Shallyna'ar are now that they've lost their names. Evidently the 'name' has become more genuine than the dragon itself if restoring their names is being suggested.

Remember that we can always identify the dragon by their code, anyway. The name is merely an aesthetic.

Perhaps if we are so willing to make exceptions for names, we should not be so quick to condemn propositions that would prevent these sort of situations happening in the future.

Multiple edits for spelling/word usage fails.

Edited by DarkEternity

I think "returning" names or not is not our buisness. blink.gif

The dragons are on ladiefare's scroll, it's up to her to name or rename her dragons or have them unnamed. Now that the names got lost without purpose on ladiefare's side (as far as I understood) it's very generous that someone picked up the names and is willing to return them if ladiefare wants them back. But that's it.

A thought experiment: What would you do if ladiefare should want the golden dragon and the white one to be without name/some other name? What would you do? Run to TJ to have the "correct" names forced back on the dragons"? blink.gif

The whole ado is absurd. blink.gif

Wow - did I miss something?

I don't see what the big deal is, since the names are being held for ladiefare should she return and want them back.

Didn't vote because I'm waiting for an official petition, rather than a poll, if it goes forward... but if it does, I will vote 'yes' for permanently establishing Midas Dorkface and Shallyna'ar's names.

The loss of the names isn't a punishment for ladiefare. It's a punishment for every user who collects Dorkfaces (I'm not one of them) and it's a loss of a piece of Dragon Cave history. Major props to Nine for collecting the names for holding, since if the petition goes nowhere but ladiefare comes back, there will be an easy solution.

It's not an exception for one user so much as a preservation of an important part of DC lore.

That said, I agree that there is a lot about the name loss policy that is difficult - I would support a petition to TJ to up the time to a year of inactivity before names are lost, and encourage users who have become founders of famous and popular lineages to entrust their scrolls to someone for safekeeping when real life intervenes. Perhaps this unexpected little fiasco will encourage some sort of reform in the way names and scrolls are managed by users.

Edited by LibbyLishly

There's an interesting amount of animosity to the idea of permanently restoring the names over in the poll thread. I must admit that I wasn't anticipating that.

EDIT: Picked up the vine, Ramica. Thanks. smile.gif

DOUBLE EDIT: Awkward double post due to merge...

Edited by LibbyLishly

A thought experiment: What would you do if ladiefare should want the golden dragon and the white one to be without name/some other name? What would you do? Run to TJ to have the "correct" names forced back on the dragons"?

I think that's the only thing that's made me smile in this whole thread, haha. XD "But I don't wan-" "YOU WILL CALL THEM THAT, SOME MEMBERS OF THE COMMUNITY WANT IT. D8<" "Okay... ;n;"

So what's so different about Midas and Shallyna'ar? If I were to put it in a very oversimplified way, a very large percentage of the forums shot down the very suggestion that could possibly 'save' the names now. The vindictive part of me is telling me that you guys should have taken the opportunity to think about the suggestion carefully before condemning it.

Thankfully my stance seems solid then. I condemned the suggestion and I voted no for this petition. I don't see how the suggestion would have any impact anyway - people would still need to petition TJ to add the name back despite user inactivity which is still favoring the two dragons.

The loss of the names isn't a punishment for ladiefare. It's a punishment for every user who collects Dorkfaces (I'm not one of them) and it's a loss of a piece of Dragon Cave history.

How is it a punishment? We know the codes of the dragons - they technically still embody the Dorkface lineage... just without the name. It's not like all our Dorkface related dragons have been set to the wild or something. We still have them - they still exist. I have a handful of Dorkfaces and I certainly don't feel as though they're no longer Dorkfaces anymore because their CB ancestors lost their names.

The way I see it, it's in the rules that so and so happens once you go inactive. So it's down in ToM and should apply to all users, regardless of how "famous" their dragons are. Yeah, there's obviously something exclusive going on with the unique sprites/spriter badges/anything else that is not available to the general public, but there's nothing in the rules to say that unique additions are not allowed. Yes, I see them as additions, not exceptions.

~

Kudos to Nine for putting his hand up about the whole situation. Looking at his post though, it looks like he's happy to give them back to Ladiefare if she requests - but he doesn't specify anything about agreeing to everyone petitioning TJ to auto rename the original Dorkfaces. Has anyone actually asked him about that? o.O

I pm'd rubyshoes earlier, and, after a little discussion with a couple of our global mods, she said that a petition should be posted in the Suggestions Forum.  The thought seemed to be that it would be fruitless for one pair, but with Nine's compliance, and the reach of Midas and Shally on the Internet, maybe TJ will make a honorary exception for this very special pair.

Google hits:

Midas Dorkface - About 144,000 results

Shallyna'ar - About 89,700 results

Dorkfaces dragon - About 334,000 results

and

dorkface dragcave - About 8,610,000 results

ETA:  by the way, all by itself:

dragcave - About 69,200 results

(and I really ought to be sleeping!) lol

Actually, Sock said that those supporting this should use the existing threads in suggestion such as

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=93738 or

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=135517

edit: Threads started in SD concerning Dorkface will be closed (or merged) as a duplicate of this thread since we already have a discussion of the Dorkface lineage here.

-threads merged-

Edited by rubyshoes

I've written an article about the whole Dorkface situation(which can be found here:The Glacier Post) for the Dragon Cave Newsletter this month.

So since April's article is about the Dorkface situation, I thought I'd post a link to it here. smile.gif However, please don't comment about the Dorkface situation there, only here in this thread. You may post critique about my writing style, etc. there though. happy.gif

Edited by Tyra-Ice

>_> The original pair are regular dragons, just like all the others--it doesn't matter if they're "famous". They do not deserve special treatment.

I mean, how many people get pissed off when a celebrity gets special treatment when normal people would be screwed over IRL? This is like the DC version--you're asking for dragons to be allowed to exist outside of the rules that apply to the general userbase, just because you somehow think that they need a name to be proper lineage starters?

They're the same dragons, as has been pointed out--it doesn't matter if they have the names or not, we all know they're the original pair.

So why should they be allowed to exist outside of the rules that are designed to govern all dragons? Why are they so "special" when, honestly, there's actually probably a decent chunk of the playing population that doesn't give a **** about the Dorkface lineage? Sure, it may be popular among lineage collectors and in various DC-based communities, but there are plenty of people who either don't care at all about lineages or who aren't bothered by the pair losing their names and THEY wouldn't care if the names were restored against the normal ruling.

Besides, if we make an exception here, other people will want that special treatment for their lineage starters or maybe even just for a dragon that has a name that has very special, very personal meaning for that player.

Just suggest or support the suggestions for altering the current naming system rather than supporting bending the rules/making a special exception for the Dorkface lineage. I personally am against those, too, because I like the current system--and if the lineages take a hit now and then, well, that's just how the game works.

Hello everyone !

Sorry for all the confusion and the panic.

I was unaware they had changed the timeline on losing names.

Midas and Shally are now properly named, The Original Midas Dorkface and The Original Shallina'ar.

Sincerely,

Ladiefare

Long story short, life got in the way.

Company sold, relocated and then I was laid off, so I've had higher priorities and yes it's my fault for not knowing the timeline for losing names was shortened but hey now they are "The Originals"....which I kinda like better, what do you all think?

Edited by ladiefare

Hello everyone !

Midas and Shally are now properly named, The Original Midas Dorkface and The Original Shallina'ar.

Sincerely,

Ladiefare

Company sold, relocated and then I was laid off, so I've had higher priorities and yes it's my fault for not knowing the timeline for losing names was shortened but hey now they are "The Originals"....which I kinda like better, what do you all think?

Hooray! Glad to hear you're okay (though sorry about the layoff).

*gives ladiefare brownies and then goes to check on her many Dorkfaces*

(You changed Shallyna'ar's spelling?)

Edited by Lagie

Hello everyone !

Sincerely,

Ladiefare

Hugs to you! Sorry life handed you such a rough patch but glad to see you back. smile.gif

Hello everyone !

Sincerely,

Ladiefare

Good to know! I hope you were able to get through the hard times.

Hello everyone !

Sincerely,

Ladiefare

Hello ladiefare, glad to see you're back! I hope you are doing okay, those are some rough real-life issues to be hit with.

I still think that 2 months is too short. Real Life can easily eat up 2 months. Is there a poll (or history thread) to extend the inactivity span to 3 or 6months.

I know I've had my own "life got in the way" moments where things didn't settle for 3 or 4 where I could monitor much beyond my 2 main email accounts.

Hello everyone !

Sincerely,

Ladiefare

Welcome back ladiefare! Sorry to hear about all the real life stuff, but glad to see you're all right. ^^ I personally like the new version of the names. Adds a little something more to 'em. smile.gif