kadoatie

Do you have a Dorkface? (v2)

Let's hope this all gets fixed soon

@ sheppardkid Cielatal's owner's scroll is simply empty, not burned. He/she just has adult dragons hidden and no eggs. If it was burned it'd say something about it being charred. There would be no tophies etc at the top smile.gif Perhaps they no longer wanted the name? Or perhaps they also went inactive and lost it.

Edited by fanficlover09

I really hope that ladiefare is well and healthy and that nothing serious has happened sad.gif

I feel like I'm opening myself to some serious lynching, but since people seem to be so distraught over this I figure I can help put some minds at ease. Or not =P

Yes, I have the names Midas Dorkface and Shallyna'ar. No, I'm not looking for bribes or any sort of trade, not looking for recognition, not looking to destroy the market value of the Dorkface name (lol?). I'm not into the whole famous-named-lineages thing-- it's not something that particularly interests me-- which is why I picked up the names in the first place. Because I won't have any trouble giving them up should the original owner return and ask for them.

So yeah, if/when ladiefare returns and wants them back, sure why not? I know I'd be bummed if I lost my dragons' names, so when I saw they were available I figured I'd hold them. No biggy, right?

By the way, you all are crazy. BBW and Flamingos are boss >=o

I feel like I'm opening myself to some serious lynching, but since people seem to be so distraught over this I figure I can help put some minds at ease. Or not =P

Yes, I have the names Midas Dorkface and Shallyna'ar. No, I'm not looking for bribes or any sort of trade, not looking for recognition, not looking to destroy the market value of the Dorkface name (lol?). I'm not into the whole famous-named-lineages thing-- it's not something that particularly interests me-- which is why I picked up the names in the first place. Because I won't have any trouble giving them up should the original owner return and ask for them.

So yeah, if/when ladiefare returns and wants them back, sure why not? I know I'd be bummed if I lost my dragons' names, so when I saw they were available I figured I'd hold them. No biggy, right?

Thank you! *gives brownies*

Thank you so much for explaining! I'm sure this will quiet a lot of the worries people have had over this.

Okay, you win the internet for thinking that far ahead. I'm very glad someone thought to grab the names to hold, so that someone with less scruples couldn't do unflattering things with them.

Also? Has anyone poked the DC Wiki? We could slap it up on the Wiki what the Codes for Midas Dorkface and Shallyna'ar are? (Unless they are already there.) It's a pain to have to check for the codes rather than the names, but the codes can't really be faked.

(And if someone has already suggested as much, please ignore my babble. xd.png)

::Edit::

Suddenly remembered my other point. . .

If ladiefare is too busy, is there anyone she/he could just hand over the account to for watching? Back before teleport, my RL friends would hand over their accounts, with temp passwords, for a few hours so I could catch for them, then I'd hand them back. The practice might have gone out with the times, but as long as ladiefare has a friend they can count on. . .

All the person would need to do is just rename the two dragons, and then just pop onto the scroll once a month for 5 minutes.

Again, just asking if there's a person who can help ladiefare out, already in their life. @w@ If people know ways of contacting ladiefare, you don't need to out yourselves. . . . I'm gonna stop talking, and actually read up on what's happening now.

Edited by Happy Dragon

I put Midas' code on there and I also attached the code in the name for one of my dragons as a reminder...gonna come up with a good story when she grows up! (she's not a dorkface her self but she has a tombstone so you never know >.> but I'm not going to say she's related to be safe tongue.gif )

I'm really glad to hear that! When I saw that the names had been taken, I was a little disappointed because I thought it was someone who was doing it for all the wrong reasons (wanting to claim that Dorkface was originally their lineage or something like that). So I'm glad you're doing it just to hold onto them with the intention of giving them back, so no one else can take them for the wrong reasons. smile.gif

Anyway, I have a fair few Dorkfaces, a few of which are golds like their great-great-great-etc-grandpa. But all have really messy lineages. I don't think I have any that actually have proper, nice lineages. tongue.gif A fair few are inbred too, but I'm not all that fussed about that. It just means their offspring doesn't make very good trade fodder.

Nine, this post right here? Rock on, and...I think I love you. xd.png

You rock. My belief that you should always think the best of people until they prove you wrong feels validated. Thank you for grabbing them when you did.

Very cool! *does a quick happy dance!* I worked with a group that managed to get the names for another lineage restored, the Peppermint Effect, and it took six months to complete. Hopefully, this rename will happen faster, but thank you for making sure the names didn't fall into less scrupulous hands! <3

You know, this now makes you officially part of the Midas Dorkface and Shallyna'ar history! lol

YES, YES, YES!

now, does anyone else think that we should start a poll petition part thing to send to TJ?

YES, YES, YES!

now, does anyone else think that we should start a poll petition part thing to send to TJ?

I pm'd rubyshoes earlier, and, after a little discussion with a couple of our global mods, she said that a petition should be posted in the Suggestions Forum. The thought seemed to be that it would be fruitless for one pair, but with Nine's compliance, and the reach of Midas and Shally on the Internet, maybe TJ will make a honorary exception for this very special pair.

Google hits:

Midas Dorkface - About 144,000 results

Shallyna'ar - About 89,700 results

Dorkfaces dragon - About 334,000 results

and

dorkface dragcave - About 8,610,000 results

ETA: by the way, all by itself:

dragcave - About 69,200 results

(and I really ought to be sleeping!) lol

Edited by dragongrrl

Hopefully if we get enough people TJ will return Midas and Shallyna'ar's names,and make them permament so every body vote for the returnal!

I will not forward this to TJ if ladiefare says no.

This is the proposed text we send to TJ, written by dragongrrl and taken from the "do you have a dorkface Thread"

We, the undersigned, respectfully request that our honored Adminstrator and site owner, TJ09, please consider our request for the renaming of Midas Dorkface and his beloved mate, Shallyna'ar.

We base our request on their service to Dragcave, the extent and love of their lineage throughout the Cave, and the willingness of the current nameholder to allow the return of their names.

We present Nine's post from the Do you have a Dorkface? thread:

(Nine @ Apr 19 2012, 07:27 PM)

So yeah, if/when ladiefare returns and wants them back, sure why not? I know I'd be bummed if I lost my dragons' names, so when I saw they were available I figured I'd hold them. No biggy, right?...

dragongrrl's Google results, also posted in the Do you have a Dorkface? thread, establishing the fame of the Dorkface pair as the single most important contribution to Dragcave's success:

(dragongrrl @ Apr 20 2012, 01:57 AM)

Google hits:

and

ETA:  by the way, all by itself:

dragcave - About 69,200 results...

and from The Book of Dc Records:

DRAGONS - GENERAL

Dragon with Most DC Records: Shallyna'ar - 3

The most famous dragon: Midas Dorkface

DRAGONS - OFFSPRING

Dragon with the most descendants: Shallyna'ar - (precise number unknown, in need of progeny tool)

DRAGONS - LINEAGE

The Largest Lineage (most dragons overall): Dorkface Lineage - 1873 Dragons

It is also generally considered that the lineage reported is a small fraction of the actual number of descendants. One possible estimate includes over 146,000 dragons.

Together with the names of the undersigned members of Dragcave, we ask that Midas Dorkface and Shallyna'ar be permanently named, freeing them from the obligatory logins if ladiefare is not available due to rl circumstances, and showing forever the love and respect earned by this outstanding Dragcave couple.

Edited by Panther788

I pm'd rubyshoes earlier, and, with a little discussion she said that a petition should be post in the Suggestions Forum.  The thought seemed to be that it would be fruitless for one pair, but with Nine's compliance, and the reach of Midas and Shally on the Internet, maybe TJ will make a honorary exception for this exceptional pair.

Google hits:

and

ETA:  by the way, all by itself:

dragcave - About 69,200 results

Ok, i made one. Dorkface name returnal = merged with this thread as it is a dupilcate=

Edited by rubyshoes

I have to admit that I'm slightly uncomfortable with doing something to someone's scroll that, given the rules of the game, they won't be expecting, even if I think they might want it done. Since the names are being held by someone who has already declared their intention to return them, why not just have someone contact ladiefare and then she can rename them?

What I'd rather see is one of the current suggestions about this matter implemented so that there's a plan in place when this happens again (and it will, with some dragons, eventually), and so people who create, participate in, or collect lineages will be aware, beforehand, of what measures are in place regarding things like this.

But, yeah, really not fond of doing anything to someone's scroll without their explicit consent - especially when it's something they could in no way anticipate, and when it's not really critical given that the names are being held.

Skauble is right, every attempt should be made to reach ladiefare first. However, if she is willing, we can petition for the permanent renaming of this pair. I have something in the works, and will present it after we get word from ladiefare.

I voted no because I feel the rules should be applied on the same basis for everyone. If TJ does this now (not even sure if it's possible...), where will it stop? Every lineage with a specific starting pair (or a few starting pairs) is vulnerable to losing those names and can request them to be returned, people who name their AP eggs after their parents might want those parents' names retunred if they get lost, etc...

I realise Midas and Shallyna'ar are (were?) really special to a lot of people and I do sympathise with the feeling of loss, but who is to decide which dragons (or players) 'deserve' a special treatment like this and which don't in the future?

I'd rather see some of the other suggestions making it less likely for something like this to happen than a 'bending of the rules'.

I agree, this isn't really necessary as other have pointed out, the names are being held and should Ladiefare return, she will get their names back.

And I highly doubt TJ would do this anyway. If my memory serves me correctly, TJ has one of his Thuweds is unnamed because someone else took that name already. So if he wouldn't bend the rules for himself, why should he do it for someone else?

I could be wrong about that though...

I also agree with some of the people saying no, and will only go ahead if ladiefare gives permission, but i do not see what is wrong with creating this prior to her saying we can do it so we can go ahead as soon as possible.

Edited by Panther788

I hadn't noticed o: It's a pity.

I personally wouldn't mind if an exception was made for permanently naming this pair, I would really like it if it was done, of course with the scroll owners permission.

It is one of the most prominent pairs when it comes to lineages apart from the Thuwed dragons. Most users like the lineages that come from the pair, they continue it and collect them. I myself kept a few eggs just because they came from Midas Dorkface. They even have a whole thread dedicated to this two dragons happy.gif

What's the harm in making this exception, it would be just this pair, not the whole scroll. Not everyone can continuously play a game forever, unlike me most people have lives sleep.gif and making the names permanent would keep something like this from happening in the future.

That's my opinion, but it really comes down to being able to contact the scroll owner and what TJ decides, he has the last word so if he doesn't agree there's nothing that can be done o:

sounds quite good, i will put it on the petition page, for if ladiefare says we can do it. can you put it in a code box so i can get the quotes, not very good at posting.

Edited by Panther788

I voted no because I feel the rules should be applied on the same basis for everyone. If TJ does this now (not even sure if it's possible...), where will it stop? Every lineage with a specific starting pair (or a few starting pairs) is vulnerable to losing those names and can request them to be returned, people who name their AP eggs after their parents might want those parents' names retunred if they get lost, etc...

I realise Midas and Shallyna'ar are (were?) really special to a lot of people and I do sympathise with the feeling of loss, but who is to decide which dragons (or players) 'deserve' a special treatment like this and which don't in the future?

I'd rather see some of the other suggestions making it less likely for something like this to happen than a 'bending of the rules'.

^ this.

I'd much rather see something done about the current system of name purges (like a once proposed suggestion whereby dragons keep their names until someone else tries it using the rename feature - and not only for this, imaging returning to rename 1,000+ dragons @_@) than making one exception.