christmawolf

Accents

I am a Chinese born and raised in the Philippine Islands. In my honest opinion, I think I don't have an accent (is that possible?) or I do not know my accent when I speak English or Chinese. But as a Filipino citizen, I have a hard time coping up with pronouncing some Filipino words.

I am a Chinese born and raised in the Philippine Islands. In my honest opinion, I think I don't have an accent (is that possible?) or I do not know my accent when I speak English or Chinese. But as a Filipino citizen, I have a hard time coping up with pronouncing some Filipino words.

Funnily enough most people don't consider themselves to have an accent. Not unless they've moved to somewhere other than where they grew up (even then they might think that it's everyone around them that has the accent). It's because the voices we hear growing up are 'normal' to our ears, and we tend to think that anything that sounds different to our norm is an accent.

For instance the majority of people around where I am do not consider themselves to have an accent. They think I do (because I don't sound like someone Sussex born & bred), but if asked if they had an accent most would say "No.". Now if you took someone from where I live to, say, the States everyone there would say they *did* have an accent. Likewise if someone from the US that didn't think they had an accent came to England everyone here would insist that they did have one. It's perspective. Technically *everyone* has an accent, it's just we all think of accents based on how they deviate from our norm.

Man, up north I probably have a really strong southern drawl, but down here in the south I hear on accent. I'm sort of scared of finding out how redneck my voice might sound. x3

I have no idea if I have an accent. Do mid-Appalachian Mountain people have accents?

To anyone not from your region, yes. Remember what I said about people from England not thinking they have accents?

I live near Philadelphia, so I sort of have a Philly accent. Not as much as people who actually live in the city, though. People there pronounce "water" as "wooder". I do not do that. It annoys me xd.png

I was born in what was then, a little village in the north west of England called Hazel Grove just outside of Stockport Greater Manchester my accent in considered posh from the dialect of my family as they were from the district of Salford on the other side of Manchester

I guess something that's a blend between "Mexican street kid probably affiliated with a gang", "Texas drawl", and "hit my head too hard on something a few too many times". I don't sound too smart.

I have to admit, I have a pretty bad hick accent. I was born in West Virginia and have stayed here my whole life. My best friend makes fun of me because instead of saying "I told him", I say "I told eem". I also say "Come eer" instead of "Come here". I don't even realize I do it. laugh.gif

I'm from the mid-Eastern Seaboard region of the US on the far edge of the South. I have had several people tell me that I don't have an accent other than a normal American one, but several of my friends say (I don't know how true this is as I'm taking they're word for it) that those a few cities north in my state have northern accents, same with those a few west and south. Strange.

I myself can't really impersonate many other accents, unless I'm telling a story in which the main character has one. Then I tend to slip. And for some reason whenever I try to say diaper in an English accent it comes out sounding Irish.

I am forever "blessed" with a nightmarish mix of Philly and Minnesotan accents. I can't even begin to try to explain what it sounds like.

I myself can't really impersonate many other accents, unless I'm telling a story in which the main character has one. Then I tend to slip. And for some reason whenever I try to say diaper in an English accent it comes out sounding Irish.

*grins* may hae something to do with 'diaper' being a word we don't use very often. They're called 'nappies' in the UK.

I speak like most American people. Sometimes you can hear a tinge of Southern or British in there too.

It comes from a mother who is from up North in the US and a father who is a New Eglander

The fact that I was raised in the South and that I have a handful of British friends who I hang out with probably doesn't help. xd.png

I have a stockport Accent! as I am from Stockport Greater Manchester England laugh.gif not a lot more a can say really

I have this weird French-Canadian accent mixed with a 'regular' Canadian accent. I do actually say 'eh' occasionally. o.o

I have an extremely sexy Italian accent... nah, I'm just kidding. My voice is all-American. tongue.gif

Hmmmm. I have a central Florida accent, I guess? Sort of the accent that is in the US media, I suppose, as I've been told i have a fantastic voice for TV/radio.

Ahh, I have a central-American Texan accent. Upon inspecting it myself, I realize I do actually have some serious twang when I speak...and I even use words like, "y'all" and "ain't"....But I do try to avoid double negatives...

Hm. It's funny because I'm half Korean, but have lived all my life in Texas~ xd.png

I have a voice that faintly sounds like Vanille but with a Missourian accent. I'm half Korean so it's kinda weird.