christmawolf

Accents

I have an Australian accent and I think it's boring. tongue.gif I like anything European. They're all interesting.

My husband has an Australian accent. He grew up in Australia, but his parents are British so they have a British accent.

My kids tend to pick up on his accent and certain phrases, so they often call home from school and go, 'so-and-so laughed at me for telling so-and-so to bugger off!' |D It amuses me greatly.

Now, I myself am from Jersey. I haven't much of an accent, really, at least I can't describe it. I'll tell you we are lazy with Ts in the middle our words (tinton, winter) and we don't pronounce the Ls in walk and talk. People who do are silly.

Lol, I've lived in New Zealand my whole life, but almost every time I meet someone new they ask if I'm from Australia. xd.png I guess I have a mixed accent.

I am usually intrigued with people with an English accent. A few times, I imitate why they are saying, but normally, I make a good imitation.

I can't see why'd you'd like the London accent either. It also has several accents depending on what class you are/where you live, but I'm personally not a fan of them.

Seconding this - I've always found that London accents grate. Although not half as badly as Essex ones do. Or Crawley, which for some reason has a different accent to the rest of Sussex.

Personaly I actualy like the Yorkshire accent. But than I *love* the Lancashire accents. So many of my family are from Lancashire that that kind of accent just means home to me.

I'm English, live near London so I guess I have a 'typical' posh London. Even my friends say I am posh... I can speak very posh if I want though.

I love accents though, and tend to end up copying them, mainly Scottish and Southern-American.

Seconding this - I've always found that London accents grate. Although not half as badly as Essex ones do.

Aw, I love Essex accents ^^

i have an Australian accent and i find other accents highly amusing at times

I live in the south but i can turn my accent off. Depending on the situation, I've had people ask me "where are you from?" and think I was from Canada xd.png On the other hand when I turn on the southern charm, the locals (which I am one, lol) eat that up and usually make a comment about being grateful that "some of us are still around". I live in a place that is heavily visited by tourist and we get a lot of people from the north - and canada - come here for our weather.

i think it's hilarious when people try to copy or make fun of a southern accent. doesn't sound like one at all but people who don't live in the area don't know the difference.

I'm sucker for a main with a British (English or Scottish) accent or an Aussie accent. It's sexy like you don't know what. laugh.gif

I have no idea what accent I have. o.o; My two other brothers and I are always asked "where are you from?" when we tell them that we've lived south for all of our life, they don't believe it.

When go east, people ask "where are you from?" and we tell them the south, yet they still look skeptical. When we go west and north, same thing. xd.png We travel a LOT in the USA. We've been everywhere more than twice, I assure you. (and to some other countries, as well.)

It's become like a mystery to me - trying to find someone who can actually explain what my accent sounds like. Does it sound foreign like another language or something? Idek. xd.png; We were taught to speak very proper, so all the words we say are slow and full, but people also speak that way in the north, hrm.

Currently, I live up north, in Yorkshire. For non-UK residents, if you've read Wuthering Heights, Joseph, the servant at the house speaks with this accent.

Personally, I try to keep to received pronunciation; posh, BBC English (as do the majority of the younger people from here) but generally, my accent leaks through when I'm panicking/stressing etc.

The people I know down south (the posh Southern part of the UK who pronounce bath as baaaaaahth) find Northern accents irritating. Having lived here, I find it a very reassuring accent.

Edited by glass_kisses

I grew up in Connecticut, so my "original" accent is pretty much the bland "stereotypical American" accent of Hollywood movies. I did live in rural North Carolina for a couple of years, so I incorporated a bit of a southern accent during that time, but it's mostly faded since I moved back to New England over a decade ago.

However, I'm another of those unconscious mimics, who starts to sound like anyone I talk to for any length of time. This made for some fun times at my wedding, lol, talking to my Bostonian mother in law and my cousins from "Lawn Guyland"! I've also been known to speak with varying British accents when watching Dr. Who, Harry Potter, or Kitchen Nightmares for too many hours in a row. (Tikindi, please note I do mean British in this case, as I'm very aware at least one of the accents in question is Scottish rather than English and I'm not sure where a couple of them are from! All I know is, they're not all RP.)

Probably the funniest thing that happens to me, though, is that when I'm IMing with one of my friends from North Carolina, even though I'm reading their words rather than hearing them aloud, I'll start talking with a southern accent just as I did when I lived there.

A wee bit scottish (the home of my heart) mixed up with Northern Irish where I live now

I've lived in NC most of my life. I have a good ol' southern drawl, ya'll. smile.gif

Idk about my accent, I'm a Kiwi, but I don't really notice anything though...

Edited by creepado

Idk about my accent, I'm a Kiwi, but I don't really notice anything though...

You've got a funny accent. tongue.gif

As an Australian though, one thing I often notice is that when people who aren't very good at accents try to mimic Aussie accents, they end up doing a New Zealand one. And our accents couldn't be more different. xd.png

Also, I wonder if anyone here has a Transatlantic accent. I can't stand those. tongue.gif Even when they're 100% legit, they always sound to me as though it's someone really poorly trying to emulate another accent! Hahahaha.

Currently, I live up north, in Yorkshire. For non-UK residents, if you've read Wuthering Heights, Joseph, the servant at the house speaks with this accent.

Personally, I try to keep to received pronunciation; posh, BBC English (as do the majority of the younger people from here) but generally, my accent leaks through when I'm panicking/stressing etc.

The people I know down south (the posh Southern part of the UK who pronounce bath as baaaaaahth) find Northern accents irritating. Having lived here, I find it a very reassuring accent.

Eh, most people I know down here find the Geordie and Brummie accents more annoying than the Lancashire/Yorkshire ones. And I may have grown up down here in the south, but the whole family is Lancashire - so I, likewise, find those accents very homely and reassuring.

It's also been noted that the 'North' in my accent gets noteably broader the longer I spend around Northeners. Most noteably my father, although it also happens with anyone else. My other half says that if my Dad and I are left alone together for too long we become unitelligable to his Sussex ears wink.gif

@ catstaff - Ramsay is Scottish, as is the actress that plays McGonagall and David Tennant. Can't pull locations for any of the others off the top of my head at the moment. But, yes, if you're talking mimicing them as a group then it would be various British accents. I'm so glad there's someone that can use that word in it's proper context biggrin.gif