christmawolf

Accents

...I have a tankero English accent. poptartFINALTINY.gif

Sorry, that was a Finnish inside joke. Tankero-English is this stereotypical English accent that Finns tend to have - very stiff, choppy and unwieldy. Mine isn't actually that bad, but it's by no means a pretty accent.

I'd say mine is a mix between the general American accent and the general British one, as in I pronounce some words the American way and some the British way.

I once recorded myself re-enacting one of Hatsuharu's lines from Fruits Basket's English dub. This is that clip - feel free to try and place my accent. It's somewhat American, but I'm not sure which region.

I have an upper Midwest (American) accent.

I sent a short voice clip to my Irish friend the other day - his internet's too unstable to Skype or anything, but we discovered we can do that at least - and he says that I sound "really American".

But you know, I've always wondered what every accent in the world combined would sound like coming out of one person speaking one language smile.gif As in one fluid accent with every accent combined!

Edited by ViperSwan

Scottish. Specifically a Perthshire accent heavily overlaid with Glaswegian as I grew up in Perthshire but have spent nearly half my life living in Glasgow.

I have an Australian accent, but it's the slightly "upper-crust" accent which I'm told sounds a bit british, rather than the stronger, slightly drawling "outback" accent. The difference between the two probably isn't very obvious to anyone who isn't Australian though.

I don't have an accent.

But I can do a fairly good imitation at a Ukrainian accent, although I have to talk somewhat slower than normal because I have to think of how the word would be pronounced with the accent before I speak it.

...I have a tankero English accent.  poptartFINALTINY.gif

Sorry, that was a Finnish inside joke. Tankero-English is this stereotypical English accent that Finns tend to have - very stiff, choppy and unwieldy. Mine isn't actually that bad, but it's by no means a pretty accent.

I'd say mine is a mix between the general American accent and the general British one, as in I pronounce some words the American way and some the British way.

I once recorded myself re-enacting one of Hatsuharu's lines from Fruits Basket's English dub. This is that clip - feel free to try and place my accent. It's somewhat American, but I'm not sure which region.

Link's not working for me... I can go to the page but I can't download or play it.

Edited by Mew_1

@ Natpur, I'm the same way!

I'm a Kiwi, but people constantly ask me if I'm English. I guess once you get rid of the drawl both our accents sound a lot more like the Queen's English...

Link's not working for me... I can go to the page but I can't download or play it.

Do you have Adblock or any other ad-blocking program active? 4shared doesn't let anyone who blocks ads play any files.

Does this work better? (Yes, people. This is me. Just trying to pinpoint my accent.) http://www.mediafire.com/listen/4vvdqt11s8...-_Hatsuharu.WAV

PS. When I re-enacted that line, I did NOT expect to end up sounding like a sassy wench at that final "huh".

Edited by Beldarius

My parents are both Chinese with their Chinese accent clear when they speak English. I was born and raised in Canada so I have no accent, but since French is my 3rd language (learned in school and still learning), my french teacher(s) say I have a good french accent.

Before I was born, my parents were deciding on whether or not to move to Canada or Australia from China. They decided on Canada, but I still wonder if I would have an Australian accent if I was born and raised in Australia o.o

A very horrible North London accent sad.gif

Seen the film Kingsmen... Yeah like that

Well,I'm from Romania,living in Bucharest,but I have relatives in Transylvania and they really sound different.Also,they speak way faster there,sometimes not finishing words,or mixing them together.I grew up at the countryside and I also have a bit of their accent sometimes.

Uh, I live in Texas, and I talk like a stereotypical Texan (to those who have never actually been, some thing we're all cowboys and stuff), you know, like ya'll, howdy, etc... but that's not really accent. o.o

I wish I had a German accent and a Spanish one, cause it sounds really cool.

(Also, I knew a Hetalia fan would come up with the accent idea. ^-^)

I have an east coast American accent. I love to hear guys talk with Scottish accents. I could listen to David Tennant all day long xd.png

Can anyone who's familiar with British accents tell me what part of Britain the 9th Doctor's accent is from?

Edited by Dewdropmon

Can anyone who's familiar with British accents tell me what part of Britain the 9th Doctor's accent is from?

Also the ninth incarnation of the titular character of Doctor Who, played by actor Christopher Eccleston, speaks with a Lancashire accent.

I have the north-eastern US accent. I don't have the typical Bostonian accent but I do talk softly at times and have a slight drawl that doesn't quite match the Boston accent. Curiously enough the drawl seems to be either something else entirely that I can't place, OR at times I will slip into a British accent.

(I blame watching the BBC channel way too much lol.)

I adore the British accent, and when I talk in Spanish I have a good one there too. :3 For my ASL (American Sign Language) I'm slower than a lot of the native signers, and know signs in the North-Eastern area with some new signs that have been developing in the LGBT usage too.

Yes Sign Language has dialects, "accents" based on where you're from along with which generation you grew up in, and entirely separate language bases across the world. ASL is more similar to French Sign Language than it is to the British Sign Language, because the one here in America came over from the French interpreters and signers and that's how it grew from. Still different from French SL, like American English is different from the Queen's English.

That was your sign language mini history lesson there. xd.png Thank you. *bows*

when people hear me they say im british but im born in canada.the reason i sound britihs is because my mom is british and i picked up on her accent.now,with my words,the way that i pronounce words,its a mix of british and american.

i have nothing against the american accent,but when people learn english as a second language they need to speak with a british accent.if english is your second language,the only time you can learn american english is if you live in america,otherwise you will just sound wacky trying to be american.when iranians here try to talk american they sound terrible,my aunt on the other hand talks perfectly because she learned british(original english)english as a second language.

bottom line :british english and american english,i have not prejudice(but my preference is british).but if your native language isnt english,then learn british,for american go and live in america to learn properly.

im done tongue.gif

I am Sri Lankan, but people here in the USA tell me that I have a British accent. Weirdly, when I go back home, people now tell me that I have an American accent! blink.gif

I have noticed though that, after 7 years of marriage, I have unconsciously adopted some of my husband's pronunciations for certain words..once in a while I'd say something and then think, "wait a minute, you just pronounced that funny" but then realize that that is how my husband pronounces it. So maybe that accounts for the "American accent". xd.png

Wish I had an accent dry.gif .

Flat American midwest talk over here.

I have a horrible Singaporean accent. xd.png

I lived in England from when I was one and a half to when I was five, and I had the accent. However, once I returned to Singapore the accent disappeared.

Edited by Tomato_Juice

Wish I had an accent dry.gif .

Flat American midwest talk over here.

I find midwest accents funny (not in a mean way). My husband's family is from Wisconsin, but we live in Texas, so when we visit I notice the accent... the long drawn our "a" sound is what I notice the most - for example, "bag" is pronounced "bay-g". After over a decade in Texas, my husband doesn't have the midwestern accent anymore. I LOVE the Texas drawls though...so sexy!

I also love Scottish accents. They are so lilting and musically beautiful to my ear.