christmawolf

Accents

(14) *pokes St. Jimmy*

I've always been told I have a very posh accent, despite having grown up in the rougher area of my birth city lol

I'm pretty sure I have some california-georgia hybrid accent (half redneck, half valley girl)

I have to say, I'm a sucker for a guy w/ a boston/newyork accent. You know what I'm talking about? That nice 'mobster' kinda accent? :3 And russian accents /heart melts

Apparently, I have a New Jersey accent. My mom was raised in Queens (part of NYC), and she's got a pretty distinctive accent. I don't really notice it in my mom, but my Grandma is hilarious. She's got the really stereotypical "New Yawk" accent. Also she has awful grammar, but that's not really a part of it...

Well the only Astoria I know of in England was a music venue that was demolished by the government in 2009 (sadly - it was a blinder of a place for gigs) to make way for a new rail project dry.gif I think there may also be a couple of London hotels with 'Astoria' in their name, but I'm not sure about that.

If you are talking about someone from that general area of London... accents in London can vary greatly, even in the sapce of just a couple of miles, so it's impossible to give a blanket statement about them. I would think it unlikely that the general population around there sound terribly posh, though. With the possible exception of people from nearby Chelsea of West Kensington.

Ah, I see. It's just because I was watching 'Have I got news for you' one time and the host was mocking the poshness of someone while his accent was extremely posh as well and one of the other people was calling him out on it and the name Astoria came up. I'm like 95% sure the host actually comes from London. Yeah, I know about the different areas of London producing different accents and it honestly confuses the hell outta me biggrin.gif

Well, I'm originally from Chesterfield, which is a town in Derbyshire England. But when I was 5 we moved to the US (family and what not) and so I've picked up on the spelling and grammar. I still have an accent and spell kinda the same, but try to use the common rules of spelling (like the 'colour is color' thing) I'm not completely fluent but I have enough knowledge to get good grades xd.png

Edited by TheComingUp

I've got a Long Island accent, which gets quite a bit of attention down here in the South. I "tawk" just like the lady in this video. tongue.gif

Also, I love listening to strong accents. My favorites accents that I've heard so far are German, Russian, Finnish, Czech, British, Southern, and of course New York accents.

Edited by AngelKitty

I probably have a bit of a southern accent seeing as that's where I've lived my whole life, but I do my best to destroy any trace of an accent because people often mistakenly associate a southern accent with uneducated people. In fact I've been asked if I'm British by a few southerners. Guess that means I'm doing a pretty good job at hiding my southern roots. laugh.gif

I live in Michigan, so I have the whole nasally fast talk thing going on, apparently. ;P

I love French accents. No idea why, they just appeal to me. Last year there was an exchange student from France in my history class and her voice was like LOVE.

I'm an chinese-indonesian who some people mistake for korean. Some also said that I speak like a singaporean whenever I speak english and my parents said I speak like a bullet train with massive sirens...

I'm British, and I normally just have a generic British accent, although I turn into a heavy Bristolian accent at times. My friend though lives in Yorkshire, which is'nt too far away, and his accent is so different to mine, we just laugh at each other's voices. Another friend went to Oxford for a few years, and has picked up a strong Oxford accent. It's really weird in a way, seeing as our accents are so different despite us not living too far away, at least not when compared to the size of America or Australia or somewhere like that.

I have a slightly Californian accent, I guess, since I lived there for twelve years. None of that Valley Girl garbage, though. Uptalk is rather annoying.

I love British accents. My nan is from England and I've gotten pretty good at mimicking her over the years.

I love Scottish accents. I want to go to Scotland so I can just sit around all day and listen to people talk.

I've lived in California my entire life, so I'm not really sure what my accent would be. I've been told I have a generic Hollywood American accent, but I've also been told I have a very distinct "Californian" accent by some foreigners. Sooo I dunno. Accents are fabulous though, even if I can't for the life of me impersonate them.

Heh, I've already posted my story here most likely, but oh well.

People ask about my accent all the time. In fact, it's one of the first things people meeting me ask. They say "where is your accent from" and I usually start laughing.

The thing is, I don't know where my accent comes from. I am America, and have lived in the same general area my whole life. My parents are from New Jersey, and they don't have that accent anymore, not to mention my accent isn't a New Jersey accent.

Most people guess that it is English (which I know isn't specific.) Everyone asks about my accent, and I always reply that I have no idea where it came from. It's just there.

I have had it for as long as I remember, probably as long as I could speak xd.png. I have no reason to have an accent, and it doesn't seem "normal" to me. It's actually really odd.

I have a sort of general western Canadian accent, with someting strange and European thrown in. I also sometimes say things in a more British way ("room" is more like "rum"). I don't say aboot, and bagel is bay-gul, not bah-gul to me.

I really love those gangster film-type Boston/New York accents. And the posh Georgia accents from the old movies :3

My favourite accents have to be the British ones, though. They are just so diverse, especially for such a small country (compared to Canada). I love soft Welsh valley accents, soft Scottish, Northern Irish, and general London ones. Yorkshire accents appeal to me for some crazy reason. So do the super-posh ones you hear in movies xd.png Cockney, Black Country, and Brummie accents make me laugh. And Glaswegian and Scouse accents annoy me so much. I HATE BBC-type RP. Don't even know why.

My favourite accents have to be the British ones, though. They are just so diverse, especially for such a small country (compared to Canada). I love soft Welsh valley accents, soft Scottish, Northern Irish, and general London ones. Yorkshire accents appeal to me for some crazy reason. So do the super-posh ones you hear in movies xd.png Cockney, Black Country, and Brummie accents make me laugh. And Glaswegian and Scouse accents annoy me so much. I HATE BBC-type RP. Don't even know why.

Ha! This made me laugh! I'm from Yorkshire and currently live in the welsh valleys and I can tell you, neither is pleasant to be around for long tongue.gif

Though I'm strangely proud that I can tell which valley someone is from just from their accent.

I'm not sure about my accent, the Welsh say I sound English and the English say I sound Welsh so I guess I'm a bit of both

I just realized that my accent is that really slow, ignorant-sounding Iowan accent, only x10 sped up. And even more unrecognizable.

Accents in general are neat. Nice to hear variation.

Ha! This made me laugh! I'm from Yorkshire and currently live in the welsh valleys and I can tell you, neither is pleasant to be around for long tongue.gif

Though I'm strangely proud that I can tell which valley someone is from just from their accent.

I'm not sure about my accent, the Welsh say I sound English and the English say I sound Welsh so I guess I'm a bit of both

I'm so jealous of you. I'd rather listen to Welsh accents all my life than our boring Americany ones tongue.gif

Seriously, though, accents in Canada are so boring. You have your generic Canadian/American accent, you have your annoying (to me) Eastern Canadian accent, and you have your various immigrant-type accents.

I can't see why'd you'd like the London accent either. It also has several accents depending on what class you are/where you live, but I'm personally not a fan of them.

Though I am a fan of the soft Scottish accent ^^

I really love British accents, I can't really say what accent I have and its definatly not a generic Aussie accent