christmawolf

Accents

Do you know your accent? =3 There's always a different one depending on the country, but it really varies from area to area. You can probably tell visiting other places in your native country. For example, my aunt and cousins are only a state over and have a distinct accent. They live up in Maryland. And when someone out-of-state comes to our school, they always sound just a bit different.

Anyway, I checked up on all the accents around my area to see which sounded the most familiar- aka: the accent that I can't pick up. Apparently it's a (North?) Virginian accent. Anyone who's heard that care to tell me what that sounds like? O.o Because I honestly can't tell.

Butanyway, what accent do you have? And do you know what it sounds like to others?~ ^.^

(Please tell me if this was already made. I did a check and nothing showed up, but I could be wrong. >.>)

Well I live down in southern LA and I have a Cajun-Country accent like most of my family...though I mostly speak English. We always know when there's someone from outta town or outta state by the way they flap their lips in speach. lol.

I don't know how I know, I just know, you know? /shot

I know exactly what I sound like to others. I sound like a country hick to foreigners and northerners. To some people down here, they think I'm from Michigan or something. Weird. blink.gif

I hate my accent. It actually makes my voice sound like I'm about ten years old (and I'm 45).

We've got a huge number of accents packed into what people in the States would regard as a pretty small area here in the UK. Myself I sound predominantly Sussex, with an undercurrent of Lancashire.

I live in Kentucky, so my accent can sound pretty Southern at times (especially when I talk real fast), but for the most part I try to bury that down to say certain words properly with no real diction. So usually people say I have no "accent" but sound more like some girl who pronounces words for dictionary sites for a living.

..I dunno. That's what other people say. I don't pay attention to my accent all that much. That is, until my Southern comes out, which I hate. :[

There's this new teacher at our school who has a certain British accent.. don't know which exactly, but I looooove it. It kinda sounds like the one that TotalHalibut on YouTube/Blue Plz has.. but for real. It sounds so much better than these silly Southern accents that we have around here. Such a nice change.

Some kind of mingled Estonian accent over here...

Though, since I largely properly learned to speak it in foreign countries it might have Finnish, Swedish, German, Italian, Indian and several other influences, such as those common in the actual English-speaking countries. (Mainly Australia, Canada, USA)

(Seeing that I developed my English out in many places I adapted to nuances uncommon for the usual pure Estonian accent.)

I live in Kentucky

Ohey, me too. I also try to keep the Southern-ey stuff down, just because it always sounded silly and makes me feel like the kind of person I'm not. ._.

It's kind of hard to explain... I guess I just don't want to be associated with the "country girl" stereotype or something, and my accent adds to that association?

Ohey, me too. I also try to keep the Southern-ey stuff down, just because it always sounded silly and makes me feel like the kind of person I'm not. ._.

It's kind of hard to explain... I guess I just don't want to be associated with the "country girl" stereotype or something, and my accent adds to that association?

Yes! Exactly the same for me. =w=

I don't exactly have an accent.... Well, I live in Toronto, Canada and .. yeah. Toronto doesn't really have a specific accent since the place is incredibly multicultural.

I have no idea what my accent is called... northern midwest, maybe? I live in Indiana, there's really no distinct accent here.

Y'know it's funny - most people don't consider the accent of their home area to be an accent. In my case it's the Sussex 'accent', I just don't hear it as accented. On the other hand pretty much *everyone* from the US sounds to me like they have an accent, even if it's just 'generic American'.

So, yeah. You *do* all have accents people, even if you don't think you sound like it, because to someone from out of area, or a native to a different english-speaking country, you'll sound like you do.

Well, I'm a Texan with some Cajun blood runnin through me. I can sound like a real hick at times, but I actually try to enunciate and say things correctly to avoid being the stereotypical Texan.... Though I'll admit, you can tell I'm Texan my by similes and metaphors. (Ever watch Spongebob? "I'll be there faster than a jackrabbit on a hot greasy griddle in the middle of summertime!")

Though my friends here and family say I don't have much of an accent myself, chatting with my friend in England is always fun because we get a kick out of each other's accents. :b

I think when people say they don't have an accent, they are talking about having the same accent as what you would commonly see in hollywood movies and some american tv shows. They don't sound like they have any accent to me.

EDIT: My brother lives in australia, and my parents went there to visit him recently. My brother's australian friends commented on their accents, saying that my mom had a canadian accent while my dad had only a tiny bit of a canadian accent but he mostly sounded like your typical hollywood american accent. But it's silly, they grew up and have lived in the same province their whole lives.

Edited by Syaoransbear

I live in the south east U.S, but no Cajan/Country/Cuban accent for me. My voice is bland. So I have 'Generic American', I think.

I adore British and Australian accents so much biggrin.gif British accents have actually slightly influenced my own since I don't hear American accents nearly as much as I used to and I watch too much BBCA.

I got a south Jersey accent. |D And the only reason I know that is because of a video.

I like impersonating Russian and Romanian accents.

Damn those are kick ass.

Oh, and Austrailian. I used to be able to do a British accent but I can't anymore. o3o

Since my parents were English but I was raised in Scotland, I sometimes slip into a Scot's accent. But I can also impersonate a Queen's English (or what you guys probably call "British") accent. I am terrible at French accents, but I think I managed to do a good impression of an American accent once tongue.gif

Edited by Sparkeycat

I used to have a New England accent since much of my family is from that area. I had it until the school I went to decided I had a speech impediment and "fixed" me.

xd.png I had no idea that there were so many people from all around the world on here.

But anyway, my friends and I can do epic English and British accents; but they're overexaggerated quite a bit. xd.png

My favorite accent is a Jamacian accent. 8D They just sound so cool.

I can also do a Spanish accent, 'cause I've been taking Spanish since fourth grade. =3 Good thing, too, because of the increasing amounts of Spanish-speaking people cropping up here. O.o

I have no accent that I can tell but I wish I had an Irish accent. I LOVE THEM xd.png

But anyway, my friends and I can do epic English and British accents; but they're overexaggerated quite a bit. xd.png

Which reigon?

I have to ask, because most of the Americans I've known that have claimed to be able to do 'British' accents don't actualy sound like any Brit I've ever known, but more an over-hyped comedy version of said. I am, thus, cynical. It's great if you can approximate and actual reigonal British accent, but there is no such thing as a single 'British' accent.

Edit: stray '

Edited by TikindiDragon

Which reigon?

I have to ask, because most of the Americans I've known that have claimed to be able to do 'British' accents don't actualy sound like any Brit I've ever known.

I find it a bit annoying when people say "I love British accents!" and I'm like:

"You mean that Posh English accent? The Cockney one? Welsh? Scots?"

There's a lot of accents in Britain, but I guess the Americans can get annoyed at us too for saying "American accent" since they have like, New York and Texas etc... >.<