The Fifth Element

The Fifth Element Lineage

Edit: would you all like to do a 5ummer 5ecret 5anta the last week of June?  I'm thinking that it should be after the season changes on 6/22 and before people in the US disappear over 4th of July weekend.  I could organize with that timing.  If there are at least 5-6 actively interested participants, I'll set up a signup.

Sounds great! I'd love to participate

Milestone gifted!

GIFTER: BlueCanary1

RECEIVER: airaani

GIFT: CB nebula

MILESTONE: 15 bronze shimmers

Edited by airaani

I'm in for a gifting, I have plenty of dragons, I just haven't completed their namings and entry yet. I am working on that now, and will do this over the weekend. I hope to make a good amount of progress!

I'm in, provided all Gifting gets done before July 4th (not an American, but I still leave for 2 weeks of vacation that weekend. :-P).

I don't think I'll be able to participate in the gifting unless all of it can be done after July 2. I'm leaving for a week long road trip near the end of June and won't get home until then. I'll have very limited internet access while gone. (though July 2 - 4th is pretty short timeframe...)

and New Eggs! Yay!

Edited by Fiona BlueFire

I suppose we could be a bit flexible about timings? If things get set up early enough, everyone could know who they're Santa'ing for, and if everyone states their availability around the 5ecret 5anta timeframe, giftings could be adjusted? (I.e., if I knew ahead I was Fiona's 5anta, I would try to have any gift ready on July 3rd, and there would be no problem. Just an example. tongue.gif)

On the Milestones topic:

Does anyone have any opinions about the points reordering subcategories (i.e., changing the order of milestones within catgeories to be consistent) and keeping/reintroducing the "X milestones gifted" milestones?

(Details see the quote in airaani's post on the top of this page)

Edited by Lastalda

On the Milestones topic:

Does anyone have any opinions about the points reordering subcategories (i.e., changing the order of milestones within catgeories to be consistent) and keeping/reintroducing the "X milestones gifted" milestones?

(Details see the quote in airaani's post on the top of this page)

I have never gifted or received any milestones (yet), but I think the "X milestones gifted" milestones are just generally feel-good milestones and I like them.

Changing the order of milestones within categories to be consistent seems to have no downside, so let's do it.

5ummer 5ecret 5anta timing can definitely be discussed. Possible options include:

• mid June and someone else organizes (I'll be very busy scrambling to reach my seasonal goals - help/new blood for my seasonal lines always appreciated if anyone wants to help out *hint hint* wink.gif )
  • late June - July 3rd (as currently planned)
  • mid-July
  • Timeframes vary between gifting pairs but I match gifters/giftees who have overlapping time they are available (I actually kind of like this, not have us ALL locked trying to gift and locked trying to take gifts to us all at once)
  • late June - July 3rd, big party on IRC on July 3rd with lots of things to raffle off, people not available for the event can still join in the fun at the party
  • Only one big party on IRC where everyone brings elemental gifts to raffle, poll to determine when the most people are available to take part (and not really have it be a secret santa event, just a summer party)
  • maybe others?
Speaking of IRC, I'm almost always in #FifthElement. It gets lonely in there, feel free to stop by and chat!

Edit: my seasonal needs list is here and kept up to date (also linked from the first line of my sig).

Edited by Lavinia

On the milestones for gifting and the reordering question, I'm all for them.

As for the 5ummer 5ecret 5anta, I would be in favor of any of Lavinia's suggestions.

and Lavinia, if you need seasonals bred, I have quite a few cb of all seasons. Just let me know what you're looking for.

On the milestones for gifting and the reordering question, I'm all for them.

As for the 5ummer 5ecret 5anta, I would be in favor of any of Lavinia's suggestions.

and Lavinia, if you need seasonals bred, I have quite a few cb of all seasons. Just let me know what you're looking for.

What Fiona said. All of it. tongue.gif

(Except the "Just a chat party" thing, perhaps. I.e., I would not begrudge you guys that, but I wouldn't be able to participate. My usual online times are weekdays daytime in central Europe, so they usually don't really overlap much with most of you guys. Hence, no 5E chat for me. xd.png)

About the "X Milestones gifted" milestone: the current gifts are a 4th gen from Thuwed (10 Milestoned gifted) and a 3rd gen from Thuwed (25 Milestones gifted). Would we keep these, or rather exchange them for something rarer/an existing category? (I'm not in the Thuwed business myself, so have no real idea how valuable these are..)

If we change them, which categories (according to Pink's new suggestions) would you guys feel adequate for these milestones?

Edited by Lastalda

I'm up for any of those event types, although I do especially like actually being assigned to someone, it helps make sure everyone (even people who aren't after the usual shinies) get stuff they really want. And it's so much fun to surprise someone!

Edit: TJs dragons are grown! Descriptions:

Hooktalon Dragons are a two-headed breed named for the long, curved claw that grows on the first finger of each of their hands. Their skin is tough and covered in razor sharp, tooth-like scales, and as they age they grow a dense, keratinous club on the end of their tail. Wild Hooktalons live in migratory, matriarchal clans around deserts and hot scrublands, hunting and stealing kills from other dragons as they please. They are notoriously ill-tempered and the females, being the largest and most aggressive of their kind, will often lash out at their male counterparts in brief, explosive disputes over anything and everything. The only creature with which a Hooktalon will not fight is itself: though the dragon has two heads and thus two brains, a strong connection between its brains allows them to function as one.

Greater Spotted Drakes are found in open pine and oak forests. They are among the larger end of the spectrum, but are quite laid back and feed mostly on plant material. They are ambush predators and rely on their dappled markings for camouflage. Females are usually larger than males, though males are brighter in color. In the breeding season the male attracts a mate by making loud, low-pitched bugles, followed by an aerial courtship dance to as proof of his quality as a father to her offspring.

Magelight Pygmy Wyverns make their homes deep under the earth, and produce a flammable, oily secretion from the tips of their tails to make light. The substance is long-burning, and brooding mothers douse their eggs in the oil while they incubate. Hatchlings’ tails subsequently catch fire at birth after coming into contact with their burning shells. Magelights are useful to human miners, as they are docile and easily trained to alert to the presence of methane damps, caved sections of tunnel, and proximity of nearby dragons to ensure the safety of crews.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Edited by airaani

I don't see anything that looks especially elemental about any of them, but is there a way we could get more info? I would really like it if the drakes and the pygmys could be part of the lineage.

CATEGORY DEFINITIONS *huge thanks to beachbeagle for all his help with these!*

EARTH - Dragons comprised of, resembling, or able to control rock, metal, and/or dirt, POSSIBLY residing in the earth. For example, a stone dragon is made of stone-like material AND eats rocks. Green dragons live within the caves AND have control over the earth.

WIND - Dragons comprised of gas or with a strong connection to weather or the cosmos. POSSIBLY those that spend a majority of their time in the air. For example, grey dragons land only to rest and eat AND they have control of the weather. Thunder dragons land only to sleep and breed. They get moisture from the clouds and control the weather.

FIRE - Dragons who control or are comprised of fire or electricity. Also those that resemble fire or the sun or which are controlled by or strongly tied to the sun. For example, magma dragons are coated in magma, live in volcanic regions AND are capable of withstanding intense temperatures. Sunsongs control light AND are controlled by the light.

WATER - Dragons who control or are comprised of water in either it's liquid or solid state. Also those that live the entirety of their lives in the water. For example, ice dragons form icicles on their skin, and can freeze a predator with their cold breath.

LIFE - Dragons who rely on or are affected by a very specific part of nature, which must be different than the majority of other breeds. Dragons who possess mana pertaining to magical, mental or spiritual control or consisting of magic in a way that is different from other breeds, or having a significant positive role in the world that is different from other breeds, or having a significant effect on a very specific part of nature, which must be different than the majority of other breeds, including both positive and negative effects. For example, a qualifier can not be that the dragon depends on living in the trees alone. But Pumpkin dragons would qualify because they live specifically in pumpkins AND can only be bred during Harvest time.

Magelight pygmies 1. Are comprised of fire - their tails are on fire yet don't burn the dragon. 2. Control fire - they secret a substance that burns easily and deliberately set it on fire. 3. Spread the fire - mothers coating their eggs with the substance, setting them on fire so that the flame is passed on to their offspring.

Don't see anything particularly elemental about the other two, however.

before i opt in for the Secret Mid Summer gifting do all gift have to be Elemental? not that i can't do Elemental gifts its more on receiving non Elemental unsure.gif

The plant-related camouflage of the spotted drakes looks promising too, but that's only one aspect (plus being herbivorous which I think it s a shaky one at best).

I like the reasoning for the pygmies though.

Magelight pygmies 1. Are comprised of fire - their tails are on fire yet don't burn the dragon. 2. Control fire - they secret a substance that burns easily and deliberately set it on fire. 3. Spread the fire - mothers coating their eggs with the substance, setting them on fire so that the flame is passed on to their offspring.

Don't see anything particularly elemental about the other two, however.

Derp, you're right. I'm going to blame lack of sleep/just waking up on not being able to spot that tongue.gif

Absolutely voting Magelights in on FIRE, based on this reasoning.

I vote no on Hooktalons and the Greater Spotted Drakes unless further information proves to be ultra elemental.

I vote YES on Magelight Pygmy Wyverns.

1) a part of them is on fire from the moment they are born (and before as their shells burn too),

2) they control the fire because on a small portion of them is on fire,

3) They produce the flamable oil themselves and pass it on to future generations.

I don't see anything elemental about the Hooktalons and Greater Spotted Drakes, so I'm definitely voting NO on those. The Magelights have reasonable justification to be a FIRE elemental, although I'd like for their case to be stronger. Voting NO at the moment, but I'll vote YES on them as soon as we have any one other Fire-element justification, from either additional info or new insight into their current description.

2g Seasonal/Seasonal-fail needs are linked in the first line in my sig. Donations and new blood always appreciated! I also always want any gen EG season rotations (forwards or backwards), EG one-season PBs, and EG two-season alternating (such as this) unrelated to my current dragons of that line.

Edited by Lavinia

I'm voting the same, Greater Spotted Drakes and Hooktalons don't strike me as Elemental.

I vote Yes for Magelights in Fire.

Playing catch up...

Anagallis dragons will not be included in the lineage at this time.

Thank you for all the comments regarding milestone changes! I will try to go through and edit all the errors pointed out so far. I'm open to leaving the "gifting" milestone, will try to rearrange and post another mock up along with answers to questions asked next week. I'm aiming at having the new chart take effect August 1.

@Lastalda - thank you for adding striped rivers to the spreadsheet and generously offering to create one for milestones!

For those members who aren't sure which milestones they've already claimed, the front page contains them all before 8/18/13. Anything after that you would have to scroll through the thread to find.

I'm in for Christmas in June/July 5ecret 5anta, just tell me when/where/who to send stuff!

@Lavinia - I've stopped doing my Seasonal projects because it's just too much for my brain, but feel free to request breedings anytime! Mine are all even gen rotating all 4 seasons forward. If my available lineages aren't still listed over on the Seasonal thread let me know and I'll PM them to you.

~*~*~*~

Voting is now open for the new releases! All members are welcome to vote, but please read the following definitions carefully. Ideally I would like a breed to have 3 characteristics to qualify for an Elemental category, so if giving a YES vote please state your reasoning along with it. You may not compare a new release to an already eligible breed. They must be voted in on their own merit.

EARTH - Dragons comprised of, resembling, or able to control rock, metal, and/or dirt, POSSIBLY residing in the earth. For example, a stone dragon is made of stone-like material AND eats rocks. Green dragons live within the caves AND have control over the earth.

WIND - Dragons comprised of gas or with a strong connection to weather or the cosmos. POSSIBLY those that spend a majority of their time in the air. For example, grey dragons land only to rest and eat AND they have control of the weather. Thunder dragons land only to sleep and breed. They get moisture from the clouds and control the weather.

FIRE - Dragons who control or are comprised of fire or electricity. Also those that resemble fire or the sun or which are controlled by or strongly tied to the sun. For example, magma dragons are coated in magma, live in volcanic regions AND are capable of withstanding intense temperatures. Sunsongs control light AND are controlled by the light.

WATER - Dragons who control or are comprised of water in either it's liquid or solid state. Also those that live the entirety of their lives in the water. For example, ice dragons form icicles on their skin, and can freeze a predator with their cold breath.

LIFE - Dragons who rely on or are affected by a very specific part of nature, which must be different than the majority of other breeds. Dragons who possess mana pertaining to magical, mental or spiritual control or consisting of magic in a way that is different from other breeds, or having a significant positive role in the world that is different from other breeds, or having a significant effect on a very specific part of nature, which must be different than the majority of other breeds, including both positive and negative effects. For example, a qualifier can not be that the dragon depends on living in the trees alone. But Pumpkin dragons would qualify because they live specifically in pumpkins AND can only be bred during Harvest time.

Hooktalons:

yes

no - fiona, silver, cathie, phantom, lavinia, xoco

Greater Spotted Drakes:

yes

no - fiona, silver, cathie, phantom, lavinia, xoco

Magelight Pygmy Wyverns:

yes - fiona, silver, cathie, phantom, xoco

no - lavinia

Marri posted some additional info on magelights in the news thread:

Magelights detect methane and other flammable gases in the air in the low parts per million, and extinguish their tails quickly to prevent catastrophic fire by comically shoving the ends in their mouths to smother the flame.

Magelights honk a bit like peafowl, and while capable of telepathic communication like other dragons, don't usually have a lot to say.

Their pointed beaks are used as a dexterous appendage, due to their lack of hands or wing thumbs. This specialized tool doesn't develop until near adulthood, and Magelights are particularly awkward and vulnerable in adolescence due to the lengthening of their phalanges and the sudden absence of manipulatable hands. Puberty sucks.

The oily, resinous secretion they produce as a firestarter can be harvested and used by humans, but its smell when inert and unburnt is particularly foul. Its odor is remnicient of a mixture of rotting oysters and low quality grain liquor. It can be condensed into an oleoresin block, which can be stored for a time and kept in emergency kits, but only in a metal cannister sealed with wax, as it tends to oxidize quickly and smell all the worse. It should be noted that pursuading a Magelight pygmy to produce extra oil for collection usually involves extensive bribery and begging on the part of the poor fool who assumed it'd be a good idea.

Magelight pygmies are opportunistic feeders and will eat just about anything.

They are social by nature, and seek out the company of other individuals of their species, other dragons, and humans.

I think the new info just enforces that they should be part of the lineage.

Magelights detect methane and other flammable gases in the air in the low parts per million

Not only do they set their tails on fire and are able to withstand burning, but they can detect other flammable gasses outside themselves.

The oily, resinous secretion they produce as a firestarter can be harvested and used by humans

I believe this was stated before, but it's worth repeating that they generate this substance themselves, which they then use to set their own tails on fire.

My vote is still yes, definitely, in FIRE.

I agree with the reasonings stated before, voting Yes for Magelight Pygmys in Fire:

- they deliberatly set themselves (and their offspring) on fire

- they produce a substance specifically meant to catch fire

- they are highly attuned to specifically detecting flammable gases

Also, Marionetta posted:

They can probably breathe fire and relight themselves if the flame goes out. I assume the purple flame is caused by the chemical composition of their oily goo, but the fact that it's cool to the touch is probably caused by mana interference.

which adds

- they breathe fire

Voting No for the others.

Edited by Lastalda

I'm voting Yes to include the Magelight pygmies into Fire because:

-they produce the oil especially to catch fire

-their tails are almost always on fire from the time they hatch and show no damage from the flames

-they can detect flammable gas

Hooktalons and Greater Spotted Drakes get a No vote from me.

I'm also going to be voting Yes for Magelight Pygmies for Fire, for reasons that have been listed prior to my posting.

Voting no on the other two.

Also: Airaani, I just caught a CB nebula in the cave, which is yours for whatever milestone you want to use it for. I'll PM you a teleport when it's off cooldown.

And if anyone was interested in a CB male blueheaded lindwurm as a milestone gift, please let me know, and I can get him sent over.

Also: Airaani, I just caught a CB nebula in the cave, which is yours for whatever milestone you want to use it for. I'll PM you a teleport when it's off cooldown.

ohmy.gif yay! Thank you!

Milestone gifted!

GIFTER: BlueCanary1

RECEIVER: airaani

GIFT: CB nebula

MILESTONE: 5th gen element