RheaZen

Q&A: Questions and Answers

More applying than hunting, there's enough "help wanted" signs and places around me I'd be qualified for that I've plenty to apply at.

Unrelated, anybody know the maximum safe dosage of Diphenhydramine is? Google has been useless, all I get are results from people trying to get high. I just wanna sleep, and that's what my doctor has me using, but the normal dose (50mg) does nothing for me, I've got a tolerance to it...

More applying than hunting, there's enough "help wanted" signs and places around me I'd be qualified for that I've plenty to apply at.

Unrelated, anybody know the maximum safe dosage of Diphenhydramine is? Google has been useless, all I get are results from people trying to get high. I just wanna sleep, and that's what my doctor has me using, but the normal dose (50mg) does nothing for me, I've got a tolerance to it...

I asked my mum about the Diphenhydramine and from what she can tell it sounds like the Antihistamine we take just a different name, ours is Phenergan, it can also be used as a sedative

I told her your normal dose is 50mg, she says try a 100mg but No more than that

Yeah, it's an active ingredient in a lot of over the counter sleep aids, since it has the side effect of making you drowsy.

Thanks!

Oh good, I have a little better tips for applying than hunting, lol.

-Send in a resume even to places that just have applications.

-If you're applying to any place recovering a cover letter, put some time into it. A cover letter should be at least a paragraph on why you're interested in the job and what you can add into it.

-Don't just apply online. Walk into the place, as for a manager, introduce yourself and let them know you're interested and that you've filled out an app and hope to hear back from them.

-If it's been a week or two since you applied, do a follow-up with them. Call them or walk in and say you applied and just wanted to see if they were still looking for someone. (My sister got her job because she got very personal with them in making it clear she was interested in the job. She kept checking back so they gave her an interview and ended up hiring her.)

-No matter the job, after the interview, fill out a thank you card thanking them for their time (try to get your interviewers names so you can thank them personally), and send it in or drop it off soon after.

-Don't put things on your resume that don't make your skills clear. For example, a lot of people have an interests/hobbies section and include things like "enjoy listening to music" which doesn't really say anything about you, whereas being a part of a club or sport for or playing an instrument for a few years shows dedication, discipline, motivation, possibly teamwork.

-Make sure your contact info sounds professional. If you haven't yet, make an email with your name.

-When uploading resumes, cover letters, etc. know that the people who look at those can see your file names. The best file names to use include your full name, the position you're applying for or the company, and then CV/resume/CL (whatever you're submitting). This makes it easy to identify, professional, and easy to read in a sea of other applicants files. As well, use a PDF. It saves the formatting better and it won't show the person reading your file all the metadata such as when you created it.

-Use strong verbs to describe your experiences in jobs/volunteer work etc.

-Tailor describing your past work to what you're applying for now. For example, if the work you did won't apply much to what you're applying for, talk more about how you worked than what you did. (Ex. Enthusiastic teamworker, capable leader, etc.)

-If you're going for entry-level stuff, emphasize that you're excited to grow and learn in the job you're applying for.

-If you can find a name for who's hiring, address your cover letter and such specifically to them.

-Whether you use bullet points or sentences on your resume, make the first point/sentence your best attribute/quality. If it isn't interesting, it's likely the points after will get skipped (as your resume will be skimmed anyway).

-Take the time to triple check and spellcheck your applications, resume/CV, and/or cover letter! Have one or two other people help you proofread your resume/cover letter, then check it yourself again!

-For interviewing, look up some good questions to ask them (what do you enjoy best about this job? what kind of opportunities have you received working here? how is the work environment?). Asking questions when they offer to answer them shows an interest in the job on your part and that you've thought about working there.

-Don't be afraid to take pauses to think about your answers during an interview. Better to have a well-thought out answer than ramble on. I have said "that's a good question. Can I have a moment to think?" before in interviews. That's perfectly fine.

-In an interview, use real experiences to back up your answers. It shows you've handled situations like that before and are will handle them well. It doesn't have to be an exact situational match for you to use it. Just use what you have. (Ex. My job at the bureau of geology asked a lot of questions about coordinating work with others. As a student and a recreational worker, I didn't have much work experience doing this, so I talked about group projects I had worked in.)

Half of getting a job is standing out and personally checking up on the position is a good way to do that. Good luck!

Anyone know what to do with a pulled leg muscle? I think that's what it is. It feels super tight and tense, it's in my leg. And it hurts a ton to put weight on it. I recently returned to running track after literally half a year of doing nothing, so I think that's why I got hurt. I want it to heal asap, so if anyone has any tips I'd totally appreciate it. Oh, and I've only put ice on it, forgot to add that.

Edited by andromedae

Anyone know what to do with a pulled leg muscle? I think that's what it is. It feels super tight and tense, it's in my leg. And it hurts a ton to put weight on it. I recently returned to running track after literally half a year of doing nothing, so I think that's why I got hurt. I want it to heal asap, so if anyone has any tips I'd totally appreciate it. Oh, and I've only put ice on it, forgot to add that.

I have a damaged muscle in my left shoulder, I pulled it last year and had to do some physical therapy to get it to stop hurting so much.

when it starts hurting again I use heat and ice packs on it swapping every 30 minutes or I rub Flexall gel or Namman Muay Thai Boxing cream into it

Flexall costs a bit and I've never found a shop that sells Namman Muay Thai Boxing cream, I have to order it off of eBay from Thailand

Physical therapy sounds like a good option. Will do if it gets too bad. Thanks for your input!

Who do you address a cover letter to if you can't get the name of the hiring manager?

Who do you address a cover letter to if you can't get the name of the hiring manager?

You can call the company and see if you can get the info, or you can address it to the Hiring Professionals or Selection Committee.

I've always assumed that "Employer" was sufficient enough.

At what point does it go from "taking care of your own issues" to "being a bad friend"?

I have a friend who has a lot of issues, and is going through a rough time right now. There's only so much I can do, they definitely need medical help, but I feel bad that I'm not there as much as they need me to be.

But the thing is, I'm barely functioning due to my own issues these days. I'm sleeping worse again, and starting to have more and more times when I'm disoriented and trying to sort reality from what I dreamed/imagined happened (and it takes longer and longer when I wake up to reorient myself to what's actually real), and I've hit the point where I go hungry because it takes more energy than I have to even make a bowl of cereal.

I want to help, but I literally don't have the energy to deal with my own problems much less the serious amount of time and energy they need...

But at what point does it just become being a bad friend for not being there?

At what point does it go from "taking care of your own issues" to "being a bad friend"?

In my opinion, it's when you stop caring that you become a bad friend.

You're definitely still a good friend to this person just by the fact you want to be around to support them more than is physically possible for you. Let them know that; it's one of those instances where it's the thought that counts. You can still be a moral support. Maybe in those instances when you do have some energy to spare, call or text just to let them know you're there for them.

Edited by Daydreamer09

The problem is they're an online friend, so moral support is really all I can be. :<

And any messages tend to be latched on to, becoming a long, drawn-out interaction which takes more than i have right now. Which, I don't blame them for--it's part of what they need help with. But when they get into their worst point, they don't always take it well to have just moral support without being available 24/7. Again, this is part of their issues that they need professional help with, so I don't blame them for it.

It's just hard knowing that any attempts to help will take more than I have to give right now, when I want to help...

I'm trying to find something to host my DC information and I want opinions on what's the best "Free Website" website out there.

What do you use?

Edited by predatorfan4ever

I have an urgent question - please help (especially if you are English or American)!

I am trying to get a certain job but I have to apply for it in English (haven't done this before). One of the questions is this:

16. Landmark 1 for Current Address

17. Landmark 2 for Current Address

18. Landmark 3 for Current Address

What does it mean? Should I write my address here or should I name some landmarks that are near my home? Please, I need some enlightenment because if I fail to understand what they are asking me in the very application form, I'm never getting the job...

Hi Evinin. I think that you have to name landmarks near your home. happy.gif I suppose that the form already asked for your address in the earlier questions. (Did it?)

Hi Evinin. I think that you have to name landmarks near your home. happy.gif I suppose that the form already asked for your address in the earlier questions. (Did it?)

No, it hasn't asked for my address.

I have an urgent question - please help (especially if you are English or American)!

I am trying to get a certain job but I have to apply for it in English (haven't done this before). One of the questions is this:

16. Landmark 1 for Current Address

17. Landmark 2 for Current Address

18. Landmark 3 for Current Address

What does it mean? Should I write my address here or should I name some landmarks that are near my home? Please, I need some enlightenment because if I fail to understand what they are asking me in the very application form, I'm never getting the job...

I have never seen a job application asking for landmarks...unless it pertains to the job....(?)

Any suggestions for job hunting, and filing for unemployment, if you've been fired?

(Before any "oh I'm sorry"--got enough from the family--this was the best dang thing to happen to me in a long time for my mental health. Happier and more stable than I've been in ages)

Any suggestions for job hunting, and filing for unemployment, if you've been fired?

(Before any "oh I'm sorry"--got enough from the family--this was the best dang thing to happen to me in a long time for my mental health. Happier and more stable than I've been in ages)

I got fired from my first job for a really stupid reason, but I still put them on my resume to show my experience and skills. Do you have a co-worker that you liked or were friends with that you can list as a reference? Some job applications will ask if they can contact that previous employer and you can select "no" if you feel your old manager will screw you over. (Most places that I've been hired at don't actually call previous managers, to my knowledge)

Hopefully that helps with the job hunting.

I got fired from my first job for a really stupid reason, but I still put them on my resume to show my experience and skills. Do you have a co-worker that you liked or were friends with that you can list as a reference? Some job applications will ask if they can contact that previous employer and you can select "no" if you feel your old manager will screw you over. (Most places that I've been hired at don't actually call previous managers, to my knowledge)

Hopefully that helps with the job hunting.

Yeah, since it's my only proper job I was gonna leave it on.

I'm actually asking the current manager for a letter of reference, because the call was over their head and they were really not happy about having to fire a few people, plus a few other ex-coworkers who left that I could use as references.

I've got a odd stupid question that's been bugging me for a while, every time I do a reread of Vampire Hunter D Novels since 2014 when vol. 22 was released in english

Vampire Hunter D comes from japan by the author Hideyuki Kikuchi, who is a big fan of old english horrors

well in Vampire Hunter D volume 22 White Devil Mountain on page 183 there is the line, "Return" Gilzen chanted before setting the summoning charm shaped like a reverse swastika on the table.

dose this mean the charm is shaped like a Manji or a swastika (todays english meaning of the word), when I get to this line I spend way too much time arguing with myself over which one it is

Various swastikas as symbols have been used in numerous religious and cultural contexts for millenia (standing for luck, sun, continuation, etc) before Nazis appropriated it. It does not hold the same negative connotations in east as some western countries still maintain (and, mind, I know a few Buddhists who have it in their symbolics even over here). Generally, it is safe to assume that unless it's the clockwise 45-degree tilted one, it definitely isn't the Nazi hakenkraus.

The word "swastika", btw, is from the Sanskrit "svastika".

Various swastikas as symbols have been used in numerous religious and cultural contexts for millenia (standing for luck, sun, continuation, etc) before Nazis appropriated it. It does not hold the same negative connotations in east as some western countries still maintain (and, mind, I know a few Buddhists who have it in their symbolics even over here). Generally, it is safe to assume that unless it's the clockwise 45-degree tilted one, it definitely isn't the Nazi hakenkraus.

The word "swastika", btw, is from the Sanskrit "svastika".

I am fully aware of this which is way I asked my question as "dose this mean the charm is shaped like a Manji or a swastika (todays english meaning of the word)"

my knowledge of this is also why I've been having this same argument with myself for the past two years

also thank you for the word hakenkraus/hakenkruis

I have always hated using the word swastika to describe the Stolen Symbol but I had never come across the words hakenkraus/hakenkruis until today, so thank you

Yeah, since it's my only proper job I was gonna leave it on.

I'm actually asking the current manager for a letter of reference, because the call was over their head and they were really not happy about having to fire a few people, plus a few other ex-coworkers who left that I could use as references.

By law, it's illegal for a former employer to say anything, good or bad, about a former employee. All they can tell a potential employer who calls them for a reference is whether you actually worked there or not.