RheaZen

Q&A: Questions and Answers

What movie is this image from? (Guy in colored shirt pointing at guy with hat and sunglasses.)

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/2d27461d5e22bb08dda4bc66d0fff896db48c07f8f09f7de363c45dcb4f2b525.jpg

I saw it in a random comment thread with no context and it's really not important at all, but I'm sure I should know where it's from, and so my silly brain thinks this is important. :lol:

Edit:

Ha! TinEye and Know Your Meme solved the mystery. It's from Jurassic Park.

Edited by Confused Cat

7 hours ago, Confused Cat said:

What movie is this image from? (Guy in colored shirt pointing at guy with hat and sunglasses.)

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/2d27461d5e22bb08dda4bc66d0fff896db48c07f8f09f7de363c45dcb4f2b525.jpg

I saw it in a random comment thread with no context and it's really not important at all, but I'm sure I should know where it's from, and so my silly brain thinks this is important. :lol:

Edit:

Ha! TinEye and Know Your Meme solved the mystery. It's from Jurassic Park.

Aw, I knew it, but I'm very late... XD

The guy on the right also voiced Al in Toy Story 2. Funny stuff.

Edit (because problem was "solved" more or less, and it only took 9 hours):

Apparently, the newest Firefox version(s) just don't work with my very old Linux version. I had to install an older version, restore the profiles (at least I had copied those before mindlessly experimenting), and tell Firefox that I would really really really like to use those profiles with the newly-installed old Firefox version, please. And make sure Firefox doesn't upgrade automatically.

Of course I'll need to fix this mess someday.

Also, today I learned: I'm mentally stable... as long as my browser works exactly as expected. -_-

-----------------------

Original post:

Where do I go to ask about problems with Firefox on Linux?

Is Reddit good for that? It looks complicated, but I guess it has a lot of users?

... In case someone here is an expert:

Firefox crashed when trying to play a video. The other two Firefox profiles (instances?) that were running did not crash. When I tried to restart Firefox to continue using the profile that crashed, it did not start anymore. Stupidly, I closed the other two profiles and tried again. It did not work, all I got was the "sorry, Firefox had a problem and closed" window. It doesn't even open the profile manager.

I found an old folder named "firefox.esr" and started the "firefox" that was in there. It worked. Stupidly (again), I closed it and tried to open it again, and it didn't work anymore.

I suspect both versions (the one I normally use and the ESR) automatically updated to some newer version that is broken somehow.

(My first thought was that the initial crash caused something to go wrong with the update, but then why would the ESR version be broken, too? So the initial crash might not have caused the problem, but only made it visible because it made me restart Firefox, which made it update to the non-working version.)

There was another old folder named "firefox.quantum" with another "firefox" in it, which I'm using now. (It says it's version 57.0.4, with a button "Restart to update Firefox", which probably means it will update automatically if I restart it, so I'm never ever closing this window. Great plan. Also of course I don't have my bookmarks, tabs, cookies, history and everything.)

All I could find so far on problems with the newest Firefox (73) is something named 0patch, but I think that's something on Windows. https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/73.0/releasenotes/

Edited by Confused Cat

For those taking part in the Dragon Cave Q&A that was happening in this thread, I've moved it to Tiny Little Questions over in Help. General Discussion is the place for all non-Dragon Cave discussions.

The Vulcan Science Directorate has concluded that time travel is impossible. I think they're right. (It's sad, though. I would really like to see a live triceratops.)

5 minutes ago, Confused Cat said:

The Vulcan Science Directorate has concluded that time travel is impossible.

The Time Lords of Gallifrey beg to differ :P

How do I use "reveal hidden text" (or whatever it's called) on the mobile site?

I've just been switching to desktop site to do it, but if there's some secret like "just type [hidden]... [/hidden]" that would be so much easier. 

Also how do I erase quotes, etc? I can erase the text in them but not the quote itself.

On 4/11/2020 at 12:44 PM, Merciless_Medic said:

How do you unhide an accidental hiding of a post? I can't find it to unhide it.

I guess it is a bit late for an answer, but the short answer is that you can't. The mods can see and restore them, though, if it is something important.

2 hours ago, dragoncat1207 said:

funny thing i got... the most common problem is, you have AAA batteries and you put some aluminium foil wih them to work in a AA device. But doing it inversed. Anyone has ideas about how to use an AA battery in an AAA device? (its a graphic tablet pen, besides i cant go out to buy new AAAs for it when i already have a bunch of AAs :/)

Since AAs are bigger than AAAs, I don't think there is anyway to make an AA work in an AAA device.   

Mom was cleaning up stuff and found this. Any ideas what it could be? [I thought I could read it since it's Chinese. Unfortunately, it's Japanese]

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

@georgexu94

If I read the text on the pink ground correctly, it says "Japanese slippers"

Edited by Astreya

It does look like a slipper; though it only came as one and it's too big for anyone's foot.

Maybe you lost the other one?

The text definitely is 日本国 スリップ (nihon-koku surippa)

Edited by Astreya

It looks like those slippers they put in hotel rooms, so large that they are basically useless. There is even a picture on the packaging !

I have a question for those techies out there. Our PC has been displaying these everytime we start. Is it alright? It's not quite normal. Is there a way to stop having this showing every time?

Thanks in advance!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by georgexu94

Do you have the motherboard's manual somewhere? If yes, you might take a look at it and first try to reset it to the factory settings. If that doesn't help, it might be an idea to update the BIOS. With a little luck that should do the trick.

You can also take a look at the ASUS site for it (I assume you run Windows?): https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008276/

Edited by Astreya

I don't know where the manual is. I fear that if we reset, it might erase relelvant data.

I will take a look at the ASUS site, thank you! Yes, I run Windows [Windows 7]

That's indeed possible, thus I would suggest that you make a regular backup for your data in any case (you never know when your computer might decide to implode or stuff). If you don't want to risk things yourself, you could always get a technician to check your computer. But even in this case I would strongly suggest that you back up all relevant data first (and best at least twice). Personally I have a triple backup of my important data on removable hard disks.

Edited by Astreya

This is kind of an odd question, but since players here may have experienced the same issue, I thought maybe I would try asking here real quick...

I have a Dell laptop running Windows 10.  I want to be able to use the F5 key to refresh browser pages like you normally would.  However, all of my F1-12 keys require me to hit a "Fn" key beforehand (so I have to hit Fn + F5 instead of just F5).  This is not feasible for stalking the cave...my fingers can't stretch that far lol, and I need to have one hand on the mouse obviously to click on an egg.

Is it possible to disable having to hit the Fn key first, so the F5 key works normally?  I've tried googling this and am not getting a lot of help (maybe I'm just not using very good phrases to search...I don't know).  The only thing I was able to find on Google was to look for a lock icon on my keyboard to lock the Fn button...but my keyboard doesn't have that.  There is no lock icon anywhere.

2 minutes ago, Alphaeon said:

This is kind of an odd question, but since players here may have experienced the same issue, I thought maybe I would try asking here real quick...

I have a Dell laptop running Windows 10.  I want to be able to use the F5 key to refresh browser pages like you normally would.  However, all of my F1-12 keys require me to hit a "Fn" key beforehand (so I have to hit Fn + F5 instead of just F5).  This is not feasible for stalking the cave...my fingers can't stretch that far lol, and I need to have one hand on the mouse obviously to click on an egg.

Is it possible to disable having to hit the Fn key first, so the F5 key works normally?  I've tried googling this and am not getting a lot of help (maybe I'm just not using very good phrases to search...I don't know).  The only thing I was able to find on Google was to look for a lock icon on my keyboard to lock the Fn button...but my keyboard doesn't have that.  There is no lock icon anywhere.

There's a way to do it, at least on an HP Laptop, but unfortunately it involves going into the BIOS and it disables the rest of the Function keys. If anyone else has a better answer, I'd appreciate the answer too!

42 minutes ago, Alphaeon said:

Somewhere in the settings should be something about using/not using the function keys but its usually burried pretty deep and if you often use them to turn down volume or brightness it won't be helpful to you.

However, ctrl+r refreshes for most browsers.

2 hours ago, Paintra said:

There's a way to do it, at least on an HP Laptop, but unfortunately it involves going into the BIOS and it disables the rest of the Function keys. If anyone else has a better answer, I'd appreciate the answer too!

You know, I've managed to use computers my whole life without wading into the dreaded BIOS...guess it's time to get over that fear. :lol: Once I added BIOS to my search terms I did indeed find the steps to do it for Dells...so I will have to give it a shot.  Thank you for your help!

1 hour ago, Tinibree said:

Somewhere in the settings should be something about using/not using the function keys but its usually burried pretty deep and if you often use them to turn down volume or brightness it won't be helpful to you.

However, ctrl+r refreshes for most browsers.

I didn't want to have to do anything particularly fancy (like changing things in the computer's BIOS), so I had been using Ctrl + R for the time being...but that is not a particularly comfortable position on my keyboard either.  It's more doable than Fn + F5, but I still can't cave stalk for long holding my hand that way.

Thank you both. ❤️