RheaZen

Q&A: Questions and Answers

Does anyone remember the game Order of the Griffin?

I played this a long while ago and now that my kid is studying genetics I went to show it to him (I'd actually worked out the genetics/math behind it) but it's gone. Does anyone know if it's somewhere else, or of another game that also uses heredity?

Edited by egwenna

This is kinda weird but... anyone else think gemstones look good enough to eat? Obviously I wouldn't actually eat any but sometimes I'll be looking at jewelry online and come across something that makes me crave biting into it.

Haha, i know what you mean. But if you ever actually try eating Jewelry, you get to go to the dentist... Which is why i like eating rock candy. It's shiny and looks like Jewelry.... mmmm mmm. So, no, i don't really think your weird at all biggrin.gif

Well glad I'm not alone then. smile.gif The fact they sometimes look like hard candy probably has something to do with it. I guess I should start investing in some sugary rocks.

I'm back with a longer question and I'm hoping there's at least one person here who knows a thing or two about pc gaming. It seems wherever I go I run into whiny pc elitists, but I trust the DC community.

There's a few games I really want to play on pc, but unfortunately my current hardware isn't powerful enough. I've been planning to buy a new rig once I have the money (which might not be for another few years) and lately I've been playing most of my games on pc anyway, so I figured it would be a smart investment rather than buy a game console (and it's apparently cheaper in the long run). HOWEVER I've read a lot of complaints that these games are poorly optimized for pc. I initially ignored them, thinking all the bugs will be squashed once I buy them, but now I'm not sure. I don't mind upgrading pc parts every couple of years if I have to, but I don't want to buy a thousand dollar computer and then find out that I need a better video card just so I can play 1 or 2 finicky games that run better on a NVidia model vs my Intel i7 for whatever reason. I should also mention that I don't mind tinkering around with settings, as long as it dosn't take hours to get a game working properly.

So basically what I'm asking is if I should buy a console to play these games on instead to avoid potential hassle, or if it's still worth getting a gaming pc. I've never compared console and pc games so I don't know if a 'bad pc port' really degrades the quality of the game, or if it's unlikely I'll experience any problems if I have decent hardware. And no, google hasn't helped.

Edited by Booo

Hey guys,

What is your preferred way/most effective way to get down to work and focus? How do you stop procrastination from running its course?

I am buying gifts for people and I found what I would like to get for someone: Game of thrones beanie. I think I know what characters he likes (the little person and the blonde lady?) but I am unfamiliar with the series.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ipjr/?srp=38

can someone tell me which if those I should get?

the sale ends at 11pm today so I got to order everything today (lol procrastination, ubbydubby, I need to know that too)

I am buying gifts for people and I found what I would like to get for someone: Game of thrones beanie. I think I know what characters he likes (the little person and the blonde lady?) but I am unfamiliar with the series.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ipjr/?srp=38

can someone tell me which if those I should get?

the sale ends at 11pm today so I got to order everything today (lol procrastination, ubbydubby, I need to know that too)

I'm guessing that the little person is Tyrion and not one of the younger Stark kids. If it is him, then the red one with the golden lion (House Lannister).

If the blonde lady is Cersei, then it's the same house. If your friend means the lady with the very pale blonde hair (the one that has three dragons), then it's the black beanie with the three-headed red dragon (House Targaryen).

I hope this helps you.

Edited by Raistlin24

I'm guessing that the little person is Tyrion and not one of the younger Stark kids. If it is him, then the red one with the golden lion (House Lannister).

If the blonde lady is Cersei, then it's the same house. If your friend means the lady with the very pale blonde hair (the one that has three dragons), then it's the black beanie with the three-headed red dragon (House Targaryen).

I hope this helps you.

Yes, this was perfect, thank you. I went with the red one with the lion (despite how cool the three headed dragon looked on the beanie though)

Hey guys,

What is your preferred way/most effective way to get down to work and focus? How do you stop procrastination from running its course?

I know this isn't very helpful, but I sit down and do it.

I give myself five more minutes of internet/snackage/whatever, then I stop making excuses. I turn off netflix, I settle in, and I do it. If I still stare at the screen (when writing) for an hour before anything really happens, that's fine - frustrating but fine - because at least I'm trying. And eventually I'm going to start working, even if it needs redone, because eventually I will get annoyed at wasting too much time.

Hey guys,

By remembering that when I leave it to the last minute I hand in shoddy work during a stress-filled overnight, while doing it earlier means less stress, less worry on my mind, a better grade, and a sense of satisfaction and smug pride at not giving in to my procrastinating ways.

And making sure I do all the housework before I start the homework so I don't have a convenient excuse tongue.gif

I'm back with a longer question and I'm hoping there's at least one person here who knows a thing or two about pc gaming. It seems wherever I go I run into whiny pc elitists, but I trust the DC community.

There's a few games I really want to play on pc, but unfortunately my current hardware isn't powerful enough. I've been planning to buy a new rig once I have the money (which might not be for another few years) and lately I've been playing most of my games on pc anyway, so I figured it would be a smart investment rather than buy a game console (and it's apparently cheaper in the long run). HOWEVER I've read a lot of complaints that these games are poorly optimized for pc. I initially ignored them, thinking all the bugs will be squashed once I buy them, but now I'm not sure. I don't mind upgrading pc parts every couple of years if I have to, but I don't want to buy a thousand dollar computer and then find out that I need a better video card just so I can play 1 or 2 finicky games that run better on a NVidia model vs my Intel i7 for whatever reason. I should also mention that I don't mind tinkering around with settings, as long as it dosn't take hours to get a game working properly.

So basically what I'm asking is if I should buy a console to play these games on instead to avoid potential hassle, or if it's still worth getting a gaming pc. I've never compared console and pc games so I don't know if a 'bad pc port' really degrades the quality of the game, or if it's unlikely I'll experience any problems if I have decent hardware. And no, google hasn't helped.

~Bump~

~Bump~

you might want to ask in the hardware thread? people there might have more insight. it really depends on your needs, but if your computer is new/good enough you should be able to run a majority of games with minimal performance issues. if there is a game that has issues on your pc, there's more than likely a mod or even just some settings you could change to make it run fine. (oh yeah if you want any kind of mods you'll want a pc)

ultimately its really just down to what u prefer. if you really want a pc over a console i think u should go for it.

Edited by Switch

It really depends on which games you want to buy. Based on my experience, games on console always worked better. Except Xbox 360. Avoid that. Consoles are designed to play games. Gaming PCs, from what I see, tend to get mixed receptions. They are kinda still a new thing, so there may be bugs and faulty parts here and there. If games you want are mostly on console, then I suggest you go for the console. But if you don't plan to buy a lot of games, then get a new PC instead with a good RAM # and video card. But it's really up to you to choose.

When people say a game is called "poorly optimized" it's not as bad as you'd think. In most cases I'd say a game "poorly optimized" for PC would still perform as well as a console. I've never had any problems myself. The biggest one you might run into is poor keyboard/mouse controls, but you could always buy a controller for your PC. Most console-ported PC games should support them. I built my gaming PC in 2012, and it still runs new games on high graphical settings at a great FPS. I'd never go back to consoles unless I was desperate for an exclusive. Plus you have Steam and modding which is a great thing to have.

you might want to ask in the hardware thread? people there might have more insight. it really depends on your needs, but if your computer is new/good enough you should be able to run a majority of games with minimal performance issues. if there is a game that has issues on your pc, there's more than likely a mod or even just some settings you could change to make it run fine. (oh yeah if you want any kind of mods you'll want a pc)

ultimately its really just down to what u prefer. if you really want a pc over a console i think u should go for it.

Didn't know there was a hardware thread, guess I'll have to check it out. :3 And I've never been interested in mods but I forgot that there were ones dedicated to fixing performance. Hm...

It really depends on which games you want to buy. Based on my experience, games on console always worked better. Except Xbox 360. Avoid that. Consoles are designed to play games. Gaming PCs, from what I see, tend to get mixed receptions. They are kinda still a new thing, so there may be bugs and faulty parts here and there. If games you want are mostly on console, then I suggest you go for the console. But if you don't plan to buy a lot of games, then get a new PC instead with a good RAM # and video card. But it's really up to you to choose.

Exactly. Choosing PC also brings up more questions, like whether or not I want to build my own and what parts do I want. Lately I've been eyeing the PS4 and it's exclusives, but the lack of backwards compatibility is a huge turn-off for me.

When people say a game is called "poorly optimized" it's not as bad as you'd think. In most cases I'd say a game "poorly optimized" for PC would still perform as well as a console. I've never had any problems myself. The biggest one you might run into is poor keyboard/mouse controls, but you could always buy a controller for your PC. Most console-ported PC games should support them. I built my gaming PC in 2012, and it still runs new games on high graphical settings at a great FPS. I'd never go back to consoles unless I was desperate for an exclusive. Plus you have Steam and modding which is a great thing to have.

That's good to hear, the huge amount of complaints got me worried. I do have a 360 controller which works great for the most part, except I had to download a button mapper for one particular game and I have to memorize the keys that each button corresponds to.

~~~

Thank you all for the replies. smile.gif

I use photoshop since I have it. You just have to use pencil mode and set your eraser to pencil as well, and turn off anti-alias whenever you see it.