RheaZen

Q&A: Questions and Answers

ahhh okay thank you so much!! <33 i'll try that, thank you so much ; v ;

dressed for an interview as in fancy suits and everything??? i feel like i'm a little too young for that though ahh

unless you mean just generally nice clothes then yes that sounds good!!

ahh yeah i'm a little sad unnatural hair kinda throws people off but i guess it's just the way things are; still ahh thank you so much!!! <33 you've helped a lot omg crosses fingers like off we go ; v ;

You'd be surprised how many entry-level jobs don't bother looking at online applications, at least here in the US. Where I work, pretty much no one looks at the online apps, except for maybe area managers looking to hire store managers and ASMs. Your best bet is to go in-person and get applications from the places you want to apply to. All you do is go in and ask if they're hiring, and request an app if they are. It's bad form to stand at the counter and fill the app out right there - I had a manager that would automatically throw out the app of someone who'd take up our very-limited counter space to fill out an app, especially when we were trying to help customers. Go out, do your gathering of apps, fill them out at home, and bring them back with your resume attached to the front with a paperclip. Again, I'm in the states, so maybe Canada's more with it with online applications. Just because you fill out a paper one, doesn't mean you can't also fill out one for the same place online, just to be on the safe side.

I found this little bit pretty interesting, since here in Europe (or at least the little corner of it that I live in) it's pretty much the other way around. The whole application process is done online.

With the exception of job fairs (several companies presenting their job offers, you can have a chat with reps from each of them and if you're interested leave a CV), other applications are processed through e-mail. There's either special websites for companies to post their job openings and you just have to upload a CV and complete a form or even from the company's website directly they have a section dedicated to job listings with an address to HR where you can send your application directly to them without using a third party website. (and from what I've seen companies tend to prefer people who use the later method to apply)

Sorry if this was slightly off-topic, just wanted to add my two cents.

Edited by Isuzu

Lady Lunevis, not a full on suit. A pair of dress pants/khakis and a button-down shirt or polo will work fine. No need to go overboard :-p

Isuzu, I admit it could also just be the area I'm in, too. Bigger cities might have more of a preference for digital applications than we do here. I'm in a city, but it's admittedly not a large one.

1. Why is Germany known as Deutschland?

2. Is there a way I can screen capture on a computer and it automatically saves in a folder?

3. Is there a way to record sounds on a PC much like a screen capture (print screen)?

1. Why is Germany known as Deutschland?

2. Is there a way I can screen capture on a computer and it automatically saves in a folder?

3. Is there a way to record sounds on a PC much like a screen capture (print screen)?

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany

Germany (Listeni/ˈdʒɜrməni/; German: Deutschland)

The English word Germany derives from the Latin Germania, which came into use after Julius Caesar adopted it for the peoples east of the Rhine.[10] The German term Deutschland (originally diutisciu land, "the German lands") is derived from deutsch, descended from Old High German diutisc "popular" (i.e. belonging to the diot or diota "people"), originally used to distinguish the language of the common people from Latin and its Romance descendants.

2. http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how...reenshot-on-pc/

If using Windows 8 or Windows 10, simply click the Windows Key + Print Screen to automatically save a full-screen screenshot within the Screenshots folder of your picture directory.

3. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...-sound-recorder

It may help to specify what OS x version you are actually using. ;3

happy.gif Thanks, Sock. You're awesome.

I'm using Winows 7 by the way. Will there be a way to do that Windows + Print Screen?

ahhh okay thank you so much!! <33 i'll try that, thank you so much ; v ;

dressed for an interview as in fancy suits and everything??? i feel like i'm a little too young for that though ahh

unless you mean just generally nice clothes then yes that sounds good!!

ahh yeah i'm a little sad unnatural hair kinda throws people off but i guess it's just the way things are; still ahh thank you so much!!! <33 you've helped a lot omg crosses fingers like off we go ; v ;

Chiming in a little late here, Lady Lunevis, but one other suggestion for the job application process... make sure you have your own pen with you to fill out any paper job applications you might get when you're out looking.

My own personal experience with job-hunting has been that the majority of job applications are online these days. I can't tell you how many stores and fast-food places with "now hiring" signs up would tell me to go apply at their corporate website. But, and this is a big one, the place that did have paper applications did not hire anyone who asked to borrow a pen to fill out the application. Management considered that a bit of a test of the applicant's level of responsibility and preparedness, the idea being that if they weren't responsible enough to carry a pen when looking to fill out paperwork, they probably wouldn't handle the job responsibilities either.

Also, if you're applying at fast-food places, go ask for the application between 3 and 5 pm. Never ask for an application between 11 am and 2 pm, as that is the lunch rush. Apply during lunch, at best you'll be handed the application and told to fill it out (or told to go online to apply) and no one will have time to talk to you or answer any questions you might have regarding the application. Apply later in the afternoon when the rush is over and everything's been cleaned and prepped for the evening meal and it's quite probable that you'll have the chance to speak to the manager at least briefly, even if you don't get an immediate interview.

(And in case you couldn't tell, I do work in a fast-food place.)

Any laundry gurus here? I'm having an issue with some jeans. The dye is bleeding like crazy, and not just in the wash. Like if I rest my arms on my knees I end up scrubbing blue dye off them in the shower. And it's definitely noticeable. My mom has asked me why my hands look blue. My bag that rybs against my side when I carry it now has a blue tint. I smhave to scrub blue dye off my thighs when I shower. It's driving me crazy!

At first I hoped with time it would stop. But at this pointive had these jeans for months. They've been washed in hot water. A lot of dye ran off in the wash. I threw in two Tide color catcher sheets and both were completely saturated with dye.

But excess dye is still gettibg all over me when I wear them.

Any thoughts on how to keep my pants from staining everything that comes into contact with them blue?

I'm in a situation similar to Lady Lunevis here. I'm 18 yr old Canadian here and I have been looking for jobs so I can pay for my university courses. I've had no prior job experience but have done some volunteering...but even then my resume seems lacking and it's been an incredible struggle trying to find work. I've come to a point where I'm doing as much as I can but still not much luck.

However, I did finally get a call this morning for an interview! I'm so excited but also incredibly scared since it's my first and I really can't afford to mess it up and go for any longer being unemployed. I feel like I have a good chance of getting the job if I can pull off the interview well.

So I've come here to ask people what I should expect for this interview. It's at a grocery store chain. I want to know what kinds of questions they may ask me so I can be prepared (I tend to panic if I don't know what to expect in situations). Do I need to bring anything to the interview?

Also, what should I be wearing? My parents suggested I wear my black blazer and a nice skirt. I think it should be fine but I'm worried the blazer might make me look like I'm trying too hard (considering it is just a grocery store) but my parents said it would be fine. I'm wondering if it's bad to be overdressed in this situation but I don't know if wearing a blazer even is or not so any opinions on that would be great too!

Edited by XDragon52

A blazer and skirt is perfectly acceptable - it's better to be overdressed, and show that you really care about this interview, than to dress as though you don't really care.

As for the interview, just try and be confident, even if you don't feel it. Just relax, and you'll do fine :-)

Edited by Omega Entity

I'm trying to find a hose-to-faucet adapter so I can connect the garden hose to my kitchen sink. I looked on the Home Depot website and I ended up confused. I'm going to go to HD and ask an employee for help, but I figured I might as well ask here in advance. What specific type am I looking for? I have a standard sink and a regular hose. All the ones online have complicated technical terms and none seem to be what I need. Any help is appreciated!

Does your faucet have an aerator? It usually looks like a nub where the where the water comes out of the faucet, maybe a quarter to half an inch thick and just shy of an inch in diameter. If so, that bugger unscrews, and one of these bad boys will likely work for you:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/NEOPERL-Solid-B...09-98/202243060

You can take the aerator in with you, and just make note of how big the screw-part of the hose is - 3/4" seems to be a pretty standard size for your everyday garden hose.

If you have a sprayer attachment that you want to use on the end of the hose, then you'll want a male output, and you'll just need the size of the female end of your hose to fit.

Edited by Omega Entity

Is one swallowtail caterpillar a danger to my parsley plant? I discovered it today and wouldn't mind sharing with the little one, but not if it's likely to eat it all up on its own.

Is one swallowtail caterpillar a danger to my parsley plant? I discovered it today and wouldn't mind sharing with the little one, but not if it's likely to eat it all up on its own.

If they're anywhere near as destructive as a tomato hornworm (which usually terrorizes tomato plants - you can actually hear them chewing on the leaves if they're big enough), then you'll probably want to get rid of it. I have no experience with those, however.

I'm getting pretty mixed reports about that on Google. It seems like most people end up having to deal with several of them, but I checked the plant over and there's just the one. The recommended solution to swallowtail infestations is to spread them out over several parsley plants to allow for their huge appetites, so...1 for 1 should be okay? I'm planning on keeping an eye on the plant just in case, I just wanted to see if anyone could gauge the danger value for me.

Edit: Well, one page said that they prefer to eat the flowers and seeds of the plant. My parsley is currently flowering, so at least I shouldn't have to worry about it actually damaging the plant until all of those are gone.

Update: The caterpillar has grown huge in just a short period of time! We've been keeping a close eye on it for the safety of the plant, and today we found the caterpillar crawling around the brim of the pot. I helped it down to a nearby bush where it can hopefully find a nice place to pupate, and our parsley is still looking well. Everything worked out great for everybody, and it was pretty awesome watching that little guy grow from a teeny little thing all the way up to the 5th instar. smile.gif

Edited by Tehya Faye

I was watching some tv on the interwebs and this commercial for a book kept popping up. I should have wrote down the name, but I just didn't thinking I'd remember the title. All I remember is that it seems like it has something to do with an aquatic intelligent species (merpeople?) and the discrimination against them. The cover had a theme park near the water with a not wanted sign featuring what I remember to be a mer person. If anyone can tell me what book this is I would be grateful.

I was watching some tv on the interwebs and this commercial for a book kept popping up. I should have wrote down the name, but I just didn't thinking I'd remember the title. All I remember is that it seems like it has something to do with an aquatic intelligent species (merpeople?) and the discrimination against them. The cover had a theme park near the water with a not wanted sign featuring what I remember to be a mer person. If anyone can tell me what book this is I would be grateful.

Is it Undertow? What you describe reminded me a lot of this book and the cover is similar, but it's missing the not wanted sign. The sign is in the book trailer though.

I have a class project for a philosophy class where I need answers to a Socratic question from 10 people. What better place to ask than a Q&A thread!

How do you determine what is considered art?

I have a class project for a philosophy class where I need answers to a Socratic question from 10 people. What better place to ask than a Q&A thread!

How do you determine what is considered art?

Hmm, good question.

For me, it's art if someone took time and used a little creativity to make something for the purpose of entertainment (no matter which sense you use to take in the work) either for the creator and/or the viewer/s.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I don't think art has a definition. Anything can be called art, and defining "true" art merely cheapens the concept.

What is art.

Art is something that moves you. Causes an emotional response, either positive or negative.

My definition of art:

Art is a creative expression of one's feelings that makes other people appreciate an aspect of life.