RheaZen

Q&A: Questions and Answers

I'm pretty sure you mean collateral~

Yes! Thank you so much, that is exactly what I was looking for.

I hate it when you forget a word but you know it exists and what it means. Ah, months of racking my brain, finally solved xd.png

Why do we call icing "icing" if it's thinner than frosting? Icing should be thicker because ice is thicker, frosting is merely a thin coat. I suppose both are just layers of delicious sugar and butter and it doesn't matter, but this is really getting to me.

Why do we call icing "icing" if it's thinner than frosting? Icing should be thicker because ice is thicker, frosting is merely a thin coat. I suppose both are just layers of delicious sugar and butter and it doesn't matter, but this is really getting to me.

The non-baking definitions of icing and frosting actually both involve the formation/covering of small ice crystals. Icing just specifically refers to an ice covering on vehicles, while frosting can occur on anything.

Besides, there's no required thickness for ice to be ice. =p

Okay I need a word or phrase to sort of sum up and explain what I'm trying to convey in a bit of world-building I'm doing that doesn't take a paragraph to explain. I don't know if there is a word, but I feel like there is and I'm just blanking on it.

Essentially the world has magical spirits of nature and these spirits can interact with people through the channeling of energy through their totems. Some people protect these and others simply help mediate between humans and these spirits. There's an entire global group of people who are "in the know" about these spirits and how to work with them, etc.

It's not a religious thing, and it's not really a belief system, so I can't really refer to them as a "faith" or even a "cult", it's multi-cultural so it's not like it's one "culture", and I just have no idea if there's a word to try to describe this.

I'm probably not even explaining it well...

Okay I need a word or phrase to sort of sum up and explain what I'm trying to convey in a bit of world-building I'm doing that doesn't take a paragraph to explain.  I don't know if there is a word, but I feel like there is and I'm just blanking on it.

Essentially the world has magical spirits of nature and these spirits can interact with people through the channeling of energy through their totems.  Some people protect these and others simply help mediate between humans and these spirits.  There's an entire global group of people who are "in the know" about these spirits and how to work with them, etc.

It's not a religious thing, and it's not really a belief system, so I can't really refer to them as a "faith" or even a "cult", it's multi-cultural so it's not like it's one "culture", and I just have no idea if there's a word to try to describe this.

I'm probably not even explaining it well...

Are you looking for a word to describe this group? Perhaps "league" is a word you could use, since it refers to a collection of people or groups that work together for one reason or towards one specific goal. Or it could be called a syndicate, which is similar in meaning (a large group that promotes a common cause). Or even something like "the spirit fellowship/society."

That's probably not what you're looking for, but good luck! It's a really interesting idea.

Edited by Niyaka

Are you looking for a word to describe this group? Perhaps "league" is a word you could use, since it refers to a collection of people or groups that work together for one reason or towards one specific goal. Or it could be called a syndicate, which is similar in meaning (a large group that promotes a common cause). Or even something like "the spirit fellowship/society."

That's probably not what you're looking for, but good luck! It's a really interesting idea.

!!!!!

Oh! Thanks!

Syndicate is actually a really close term to what I'm trying to express! Thank you! I can't believe I forgot that word.

Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?

wink.gif

Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?

wink.gif

Why call it a building if it is already built?

I love these little one liners.

I think they show how difficult and funny the English language can be. biggrin.gif

ok so i have this problem i woke up few hours ago and couldnt turn on my phone screen and i was like ok it went censorkip.gif** so i turned it off and on but it got stuck on the loading screen(that one that shows the model of the phone and stuff) and it's been there for like 4 hours now and idk what to do. went to my comptuer and googled ways to restore from factory and did the volume up+menu+power button thing but it's still stuck on the loading screen like wtf do i do now? any advice? phone is Samsung Galaxy Core Plus(SM-G350L).

before that problem i had it plugged to the charger and didnt even touch it until i woke up.

ok so i have this problem i woke up few hours ago and couldnt turn on my phone screen and i was like ok it went censorkip.gif** so i turned it off and on but it got stuck on the loading screen(that one that shows the model of the phone and stuff) and it's been there for like 4 hours now and idk what to do. went to my comptuer and googled ways to restore from factory and did the volume up+menu+power button thing but it's still stuck on the loading screen like wtf do i do now? any advice? phone is Samsung Galaxy Core Plus(SM-G350L).

before that problem i had it plugged to the charger and didnt even touch it until i woke up.

Usually in that situation I'd pull the battery (I know that's not the exact model but it should be roughly the same) and restart it.

You try that yet?

Usually in that situation I'd pull the battery (I know that's not the exact model but it should be roughly the same) and restart it.

You try that yet?

several times, and still got that problem

several times, and still got that problem

Oh.

Um.. Sounds like it's soft-bricked. Since you were already planning on resetting it anyway, I'd suggest you use Odin to reflash your stock firmware. You'll need to get your phone into Download mode as opposed to Recovery, but I don't think that should be a problem.

It's a bit of a complicated process if you've never done it before, but I have plenty and I'll be more than happy to try to walk you through anything. :P

How do I watch a horror movie without being scared? I'm going to watch one with a friend later this week. I need help keeping calm, hahah.

Don't watch it.

I kinda have to, though! It's like a challenge for me, so if anyone really has a recommendation, it's definitely welcome smile.gif

I kinda have to, though! It's like a challenge for me, so if anyone really has a recommendation, it's definitely welcome smile.gif

Watch it critically. Pick out flaws in the plot and laugh at the protagonists' actions. I don't watch a lot of horror movies, but I think it's fun to look at them and raise your eyebrows at the way things unfold. It's not as scary if you don't take it seriously.

How do I watch a horror movie without being scared? I'm going to watch one with a friend later this week. I need help keeping calm, hahah.

Accept that you're scared. Take deep breathes (and focus on them!) and make tight fists to help control your reactions to being scared. Start getting too scared? Tell yourself a joke in your head, something that takes you away from the movie for a moment to regain your bearings.

Thanks guys~ I'll do my best to keep my cool. I'm going to be watching it at the movie theatre so, yeah, it'll be intense, in the dark, full volume and stuff tongue.gif I'm going with a friend who scares as easily as me, so it will be kind of fun since I won't be the only scaredy cat.

Watch it critically. Pick out flaws in the plot and laugh at the protagonists' actions. I don't watch a lot of horror movies, but I think it's fun to look at them and raise your eyebrows at the way things unfold. It's not as scary if you don't take it seriously.

Pretend you're Steve Irwin on the search of the elusive phantom crocodile.

For Horror Movies, it kinda depends if you are watching them alone or with another person/group of people. I'm the kinda person who is still terrified if someone plays the theme song from Unsolved Mysteries (you can go find it on YouTube) and that is NOT a scary show. It's a childhood thing. I also don't deal well with really "gross" things, super "scary" things, or violence that doesn't seem to there for any sake to further the story line unless its done in a way that is meant to be goofy or overthetop and not serious. I also don't like to watch anything I would classify as "negative energy". Not for universal energy reasons. I just find that with my body not paralyzing me very well at night and my normal thrashing, screaming, cursing, and sometimes physical abuse of my S/O, who is very nice about all of this and has never hit me back once in 20 years and finds it amusing, I tend to find watching this kinda stuff makes my sleep that night a lot worse. So it depends on you.

But if I had to, I would do the following:

1. If you are a female who, when having over the top reactions has slight urinary leaks or discharge, where a good size feminine product so its not an issue. (There are good sides to this issue, don't think you need medication.) Also don't have food or drink in a way where you can spill or throw or spit it everywhere.

2. Try starting off with some campy funny "horror" or mock-horror movies. The Scream Franchise, the other movies that made fun of that, Sean of the Dead, I'm sure some people can give you a good list. Generally watching goofy versions are a lot more fun and can put you a bit more at ease or at least let you ease yourself into it a bit. For example, I cannot watch the crime scenes from Bones or CSI, but I can watch American Horror Story and that never bothers me. But S/O is the reverse. I guess it just depends on what you can stomach, but AHS has never been something that really bothered me and I like their stories.

3. Don't watch horror movies that are reported or plainly state they use that ultra low frequency bass sound (forgetting what it is called right now) that we as humans can't "hear" but our brains sense and forces us to become completely irrational and scared. The stuff that makes animals freak out before earthquakes and storms and such. Not only is that not fair, its cheating, and if that is what it takes to get people to be "scared" of your movie, then you need to go back to film school. I don't care what "artistic excuse" you are using. Unless you advertise it up front and your movie is still good enough to stand alone without it and people want that experience. But you don't sound like that type and I would avoid those.

4. Don't let people to try and make you play stupid "scary games" afterwards. I would also avoid doing anything that super scares you after it. Like if you hate walking into the bathroom with the shower curtain pulled shut because you are irrationally convinced someone is hiding in there, don't leave them shut. Keep the lights on, and put on some fun music, and go do something fun afterwards. Unless that's part of the experience too. But making people go into the dark bathroom and chant into a mirror or pulling out Ouija Boards where someone fakes communications from beyond the grave by pushing the thing around just to scare you more is dumb. And if you have any superstitions or fears, just do whatever you can to counteract or lessen their effect as much as you can. Don't stay in your house alone. See if some friends want to go out to eat. Watch it during day hours. I don't know how much control you have over that, but you should be able to have SOME control of the after effects.

Ice Cream + Sprinkles or something. And annoying Pop Music.

5. I'm not saying that you should do anything illegal, but if you are of legal age to drink or take OTC sleeping aids and things of that nature that make you a bit sleepy, it might take the edge off a bit. Just don't fall asleep during the movie. There are things that relax you that are perfectly fine and within the law of wherever you fall and you shouldn't feel bad about taking the edge off of anything that makes you uncomfortable but you need to get thru. Just be smart about where you apply that idea. Don't do that in situations where you need your full cognitive abilities or you could do something you regret or get into trouble or something bad. I don't feel I need to expand any further on that subject.

Hope that helps a little bit! And to be fair, if any of those movies ever even violate your spiritual or energy or moral or even just "I sleep horribly after" code, it's ok to say no. I understand you don't feel this way on this matter, and I don't think it impacts you that badly, but if it does, say no in the future. Even if it seems dumb to others. Worry about you first!

5. I'm not saying that you should do anything illegal, but if you are of legal age to drink or take OTC sleeping aids and things of that nature that make you a bit sleepy, it might take the edge off a bit. Just don't fall asleep during the movie. There are things that relax you that are perfectly fine and within the law of wherever you fall and you shouldn't feel bad about taking the edge off of anything that makes you uncomfortable but you need to get thru. Just be smart about where you apply that idea. Don't do that in situations where you need your full cognitive abilities or you could do something you regret or get into trouble or something bad. I don't feel I need to expand any further on that subject.
    I don't think drugging yourself for the sake of being able to get through what is essentially supposed to be entertainment is an acceptable solution in *any* instance...

Thanks to everyone that has been so helpful to me! To be precise, I'll be watching the Conjuring 2. I'm not an avid horror movie watcher, but strangely enough, I enjoy reading horror. For more of a background on why I was worried about watching a scary movie, it's just that I can be a very nervous person, and unfortunately, a little superstitious. I'm quite sensitive to my environment, and usually after scary movies I don't sleep very well. But I really wanted to conquer whatever I was fearing. I have always wanted to remove, understand or face negative instances in my life and I consider this to be one of them.

Just a heads up on the Sculpey - the Sculpey Original and Sculpey III are extremely brittle after baking. Sculpey Firm and Super Sculpey are both very durable, and can be mixed together to create a nice medium if Firm is too hard and Super is too soft. Those work well for figures and such, due to the durability, though they'll need to be painted since neither comes in colors.

Premo has some flexibility after being baked (but not ridiculously so), and won't shatter like III will. Souffle is similar as well.

Fimo Soft is a good all-around as well, as far as making small jewelry pieces. I've looked into Fimo Professional, and have found it to be too soft for my tastes. Oddly enough, if you buy Premo and -that's- too soft, you can make it more firm by Fimo Mix Quick Clay softener.

There's also strategies for baking that make the clay more durable, involving baking for twice the length at -20 degrees of the recommended bake time, as well as quenching the clay when it comes out of the over.

let me know, and I can send you some links to some handy resources  smile.gif

The clay I bought is Sculpey III and so far I haven't had a problem with baking really small pieces in the oven, but I'll keep the brittleness in mind. I also just recently bought Sculpey bake-and-bend to try out an idea I had that involves wrapping it around a gemstone after baking, but it's a little harder to work with it being so soft.

My local art store only carries Sculpey and the other types are harder to find, so any resources you have regarding those are appreciated. happy.gif

Any suggestions for job hunting? My current job's a sinking ship, and I'd rather get out while there's still lifeboats, but I've been at this for almost 5 years now so I'm.. Kinda out of practice lol.

Hm, job hunting or job applying? =p

There's plenty of really good sites out there where you can look for job openings - linkedin, monster, specific group sites (ie Geological Society of America hosts geology positions). Utilize those!

You can also go searching for sites of places in your area you'd be willing to work, as they usually have job apps/status available there.

I'm sure others out here have to have some more helpful advice than me, lol. Good luck!

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler