RheaZen

Q&A: Questions and Answers

Hey people! I urgently need help. I was ironing my pastel pink trousers and the iron left some persistent black stains because it was filthy and they got stuck onto the fabric. Does anyone know how to remove those stains? Please, I need help to salvage these. :'(

Hey people! I urgently need help. I was ironing my pastel pink trousers and the iron left some persistent black stains because it was filthy and they got stuck onto the fabric. Does anyone know how to remove those stains? Please, I need help to salvage these. :'(

I'm no expert, but my mom once managed to get this awful wine stain out of her pure white jeans by using cat litter. I know it sounds really, really strange! But it worked out for her, so I don't know if you'd want to try that? It's the only tip I know to get harsh stains out of light clothing.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good place to host an art portfolio? I kind of have one set up with wordpress, but I'm finding it really confusing to arrange and set up my portfolio how I'd like it. I'm also not really liking the format of tumblr and of course can't use deviantart.

If possible I'd like to find a site that's pretty intuitive.

I need some help with English...

Situation: Anne is at Bob's door talking to him and is wondering why he doesn't invite her inside.

Anne: "Do you have visitors?" / "Are you having visitors?" / "Do you have guests?" / ...or something different...?

What is grammatically correct and would be said in real life?

7 hours ago, Confused Cat said:

I need some help with English...

Situation: Anne is at Bob's door talking to him and is wondering why he doesn't invite her inside.

Anne: "Do you have visitors?" / "Are you having visitors?" / "Do you have guests?" / ...or something different...?

What is grammatically correct and would be said in real life?

I'm no expert, but the third option flows the best and sounds the most realistic in my opinion. The tense isn't very clear to me with the second option, which makes it sound...off. 

49 minutes ago, The Dragoness said:

I'm no expert, but the third option flows the best and sounds the most realistic in my opinion. The tense isn't very clear to me with the second option, which makes it sound...off. 

Thank you! :) I wasn't sure because it's supposed to be something that's happening right at that moment (not "do you generally sometimes have people in your house"), but it really looked weird...

And now I need help with Greek. ^^ ... Not with the language, but with a song.

It is called "Δέν υπάρχει ευτυχία" ("Den iparhi eftihia") and apparently it was originally sung by a female singer named Litsa Diamanti. Question: Is there also a male singer who sings this song? *

(I just came back from a holiday in Greece and a singer/musician at one hotel sang some songs in Greek, and I liked this one and googled it afterwards. Now I'm definitely getting the Litsa Diamanti version, but I usually prefer male singers and so I hope someone can recommend one. All I found so far were other female singers.)

(* Edit: preferably one who has CDs available on Amazon or another international shop.)

Edited by Confused Cat

It would seem not. Even if you follow up the writer (Giorgos Katsaros) and lyricist (Pythagoras) it doesn't come up anywhere.

I've tried cover versions - nothing :(

Thanks for searching, @fuzzbucket! I haven't found anything either. So if I ever return to that hotel I guess I'll have to ask the singer if he could please record a CD. :D

Ok, I have tried to find it in the questions and answers, but have been unable to do so, thusly I will post it and hope for the best.  It is a serious question and I will ask one thing of the people who answer it.  Please DO NOT look up the answer online.  I want to see how many people get the correct answer strictly on their own...

Here goes:

A ship has 26 sheep and 10 goats on board.  How old is the Captain?   

This is an old question and math students may have seen it before...  If you know the answer offhand, please don't give it away for a few days to give people a chance to solve it...

Good Luck...

OK, the CORRECT answer is:  There is not enough information to give an answer...

It was developed to get students to not try and fit an answer to meet the known information.  EX: The Captain must be old enough to be responsible enough the operate a ship, so his age MAY be 25...  or  Add the number of animals and then add the age of an adult (18).  18+26+10= 54...  But to realize that there WASN'T enough information to solve the problem. 

Don't give just any answer just to answer the question...  Break that mindset, not all problems have an answer, even if someone in authority asks for an answer...

Another Brit-query!

What sort of chain ice cream shops operated in England in the late 1980s, early 1990s time-frame? Like, in the US, there are Baskin-Robbins and Dairy Queen stores all over the place... as opposed to little local "mom-and-pop" type ice cream parlors. My Google-fu has failed me in this; all I can find are lists of the top-ten gourmet ice cream parlors in 2017. Asking with regards to getting the little details right in a story.

And if chains weren't a thing in that time frame, that's fine too, I just need to know so I can adjust my story accordingly. Thanks!

You could buy Walls icecream everywhere. Also Mr Whippy icecream vans were HUGE - still are.

At the Glastonbury Festival the queues for the Mr Whippy vans exceeded those for the lavatories.

Mostly we'd buy from one of them. But not shops, so much. You'd generally buy your icecreams in somewhere that sold other stuff too.Either a corner store with a freezer, or some sit down place like a Wimpy bar or a snack bar - and we weren't that big on chains in those days.. (Or a posh place, which you seem to want to avoid.) If you are talking some young people in a story, on the street use a Mr Whippy van, and for sit down a Wimpy bar - in the 80s at least - should be safe. But Burger King took them over and there aren't as many as there were.. https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/feb/01/britishidentity.paulmacinnes

In SCOTLAND, Nardini's. If you want to set your thing there ;)

Edited by Fuzzbucket

On 8/3/2017 at 5:52 AM, Daydreamer09 said:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good place to host an art portfolio? I kind of have one set up with wordpress, but I'm finding it really confusing to arrange and set up my portfolio how I'd like it. I'm also not really liking the format of tumblr and of course can't use deviantart.

If possible I'd like to find a site that's pretty intuitive.

Artstation is the new deviantart (aka where all the amazing art profiles are now) but some of the pros advise artists to avoid hosting on a site where a lot of artists are better than you and advise selfhosting . If you selfhost it costs money although you can buy super cheap servers (15 USD/yr for ramnode about $10ish/yr for a domain name). 

Artstation and pixiv have a major security issue where they don't strip the metadata of images out. What this means is that any artist who takes a photo and uploads that, I can see the exact GPS location of where the phone photo was taken. Deviantart and tumblr iirc both remove that. Tumblr auto removes it. Wordpress I don't know but if you use a secondary imagehost like imgur it will. Selfhosting - obviously you would have to remove that yourself. 

So in my opinion tumblr, artstation, your personal site hosted by you or deviantart whatever their folio is called are the only decent options. 

16 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

You could buy Walls icecream everywhere. Also Mr Whippy icecream vans were HUGE - still are.

Mostly we'd buy from one of them. But not shops, so much. You'd generally buy your icecreams in somewhere that sold other stuff too.Either a corner store with a freezer, or some sit down place like a Wimpy bar or a snack bar - and we weren't that big on chains in those days.. (Or a posh place, which you seem to want to avoid.) If you are talking some young people in a story, on the street use a Mr Whippy van, and for sit down a Wimpy bar - in the 80s at least - should be safe. But Burger King took them over and there aren't as many as there were.. https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/feb/01/britishidentity.paulmacinnes

In SCOTLAND, Nardini's. If you want to set your thing there ;)

Thank you!

It's a couple of older kids, along with an older cousin riding herd on them. So I think they'll head off to the park and find a Mr. Whippy van; I would guess those made a regular round of the parks the way the Good Humor vendors did where I grew up. 🙂

On 7/14/2018 at 7:39 AM, DarkEternity said:

Artstation is the new deviantart (aka where all the amazing art profiles are now) but some of the pros advise artists to avoid hosting on a site where a lot of artists are better than you and advise selfhosting . If you selfhost it costs money although you can buy super cheap servers (15 USD/yr for ramnode about $10ish/yr for a domain name). 

Artstation and pixiv have a major security issue where they don't strip the metadata of images out. What this means is that any artist who takes a photo and uploads that, I can see the exact GPS location of where the phone photo was taken. Deviantart and tumblr iirc both remove that. Tumblr auto removes it. Wordpress I don't know but if you use a secondary imagehost like imgur it will. Selfhosting - obviously you would have to remove that yourself. 

So in my opinion tumblr, artstation, your personal site hosted by you or deviantart whatever their folio is called are the only decent options. 

Ok. So I'm not a photographer, and I'm assuming that only relates to photos taken on phones and not digital art. Right?

This is for a professional portfolio for job hunting, so Deviantart is definitely a no. I'll look into Artstation as I've never heard of it before.

1 hour ago, Daydreamer09 said:

Ok. So I'm not a photographer, and I'm assuming that only relates to photos taken on phones and not digital art. Right?

This is for a professional portfolio for job hunting, so Deviantart is definitely a no. I'll look into Artstation as I've never heard of it before.

Any photos

3 minutes ago, DarkEternity said:

Any photos

Does 'any photos' include non photography images? Wording it as photos is throwing me for a loop.

Say I make something in photoshop on a desktop/laptop and uploaded it? Would there be GPS showing where the image was created then?

37 minutes ago, Daydreamer09 said:

Does 'any photos' include non photography images? Wording it as photos is throwing me for a loop.

Say I make something in photoshop on a desktop/laptop and uploaded it? Would there be GPS showing where the image was created then?

Specifically it's only a problem with photos taken from phones since phones are massive stalker devices that embed GPS when taking photos, if you don't trust the image, copy and pasting it into ms paint and saving it as a different image file will remove the EXIF metadata. Or you can use tools like exiftool to remove it https://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/. With art and stuff the most they reveal is what programs were used to create the files, although adobe is a bit of a massive stalker and will list every adobe tool the image has been processed in and a lot of other identifying info which no one except adobe can probably interpret, although there is this one field I think relates to how often you've opened up the image and how long and when you were working on it. 

Does it actually bother anyone when someone quotes or tags you in a post on here, giving you a notification? I can't get this thought out of my head that I'm annoying anyone I quote/tag, even though it doesn't bother me at all when I log in and have notifications. :unsure:

@Aqub I can only answer for myself, but I personally don't mind at all! I'm quite happy when people quote or tag me, because that means they react to something I've said (which is always nice, even if the response is "negative"). I do hate unread notifications so I have to take care of it as soon as I see them, though :P

People who object can block them. I have XD . You tag me - I will never know ! 

This forum is for NON dragon questions, but still - or do you need it with PICTURES ?:

WE SOLVED THE CHART ON THE DISCORD CHAT! 

A Siyat's color depends on their natural time left when hatched. If you incubated, add a day to the egg's timer to find the window they are in.

7d 0h - 4d 1h: green (this means you must incubate, earthquake, or try to force with kill for green)

4d 0h - 2d 1h: blue

2d 0h - 0d 0h: purple

I THINK this is right: 

siyats.jpg.c21a9dfaa664688db560580220f014cb.jpg

Edited by Fuzzbucket