RheaZen

Q&A: Questions and Answers

ohmy.gif I did not know that castor oil is a laxative. Thanks, Sock for that info! I only know its common use in paints, and brake fluids, so I thought it unsafe. But after research, it is considered by the FDA as generally safe.

(That's what castor oil functions as, so that was pretty much what they were already asking.)

I was thinking more along the lines of Lactulose, much more effective in my experience wink.gif

I have a weird problem with my ears. Does anyone know how to stop them from being "locked" most of the time? They feel the same as I would've been in an airplane, and I have to pop them constantly by blocking my nose and mouth and blowing air out, which "levels" the pressure in my ears. I had a flu last week, and it got worse during that time. It feels like I'm constantly living in fog or wearing earmuffs, all sounds are a bit muffled if I'm not constantly popping my ears. Does anyone have any tips?

Don't block your nose and mouth then blow, it will damage your ears. Try chewing gum or yawning. It helps balance the air out. If the problem persists, then consult an ear doctor.

Don't block your nose and mouth then blow, it will damage your ears. Try chewing gum or yawning. It helps balance the air out. If the problem persists, then consult an ear doctor.

Don't BLOW, no. But as one who has the same problem - Eustachian tube dysfunction - holding your nostrils and just gently "popping" your ears is safe and recommended by my otolaryngologist.

Also steam your head regularly. Breathe the steam WELL in up your nose, and blow out through your mouth.

When mine is VERY bad, I have a steroid spray that I am to use.

Also steam your head regularly. Breathe the steam WELL in up your nose, and blow out through your mouth.

Thanks, I have to try that! I have a regular doctor's appointment coming soon, so if this problem hasn't vanished till that, I'll get their opinion.

Okay so I'm having trouble. I have an HP Omen laptop (brand new) with windows 10. I can't find the option to disable the touchpad. Can someone help me..?

Re: HeDy's Ear Query

It's strange that I am to encounter this same situation after Holy Week Saturday. We went to the northern regions and the change in altitude affected my ears. It didn't vanish when we returned on Easter. I tried the gum treatment and gentle blowing treatment, however that didn't help. I tried the steam treatment and that worked. laugh.gif

How can you get tittles on here?

This is off-topic. For future reference, questions like these belong in Help, as this is regarding the forum.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Anyone have a good advice/trick of how to cut your nails in a perfect straight line like this?

I'm having a very hard time and I never do it correctly :/ My nails grow very long and if I cut them in circular shape they easily break from sides across ~ I think with straight cut they possibly won't break so often ~? smile.gif

Anyone have a good advice/trick of how to cut your nails in a perfect straight line like this?

I'm having a very hard time and I never do it correctly :/ My nails grow very long and if I cut them in circular shape they easily break from sides across ~ I think with straight cut they possibly won't break so often ~? smile.gif

Use a nail file to shape your nails into the square shape after you trim (just barely trim) your nails. :3

Apparently there's also a shaping clipper that allows you to cut square, as seen in

. The vid also says you can use a toenail clipper, as they tend to be less curved than regular fingernail clippers.

Uh, does anyone have any good, last-minute ideas for a birthday gift for a father? My dad is turning 56 this weekend and I'd like to give something more that just a card, but still nothing major. He loves all electronic gadgets and movies, so if you guys have any ideas, go ahead, any helpwould be appreciated!

Uh, does anyone have any good, last-minute ideas for a birthday gift for a father? My dad is turning 56 this weekend and I'd like to give something more that just a card, but still nothing major. He loves all electronic gadgets and movies, so if you guys have any ideas, go ahead, any helpwould be appreciated!

How about any of the Marvel or Avenger movies? They're all really good. Or Fast and the Furious movies.

I've had a horrible cold for a few days and I have to go back to work on Saturday. My last temp taken an hour ago was 101.8 F. I wotk around both food and people. How do I get rid of this by Saturday?

Oh, sorry, I never saw this! D: What'd you end up getting him?

I've had a horrible cold for a few days and I have to go back to work on Saturday. My last temp taken an hour ago was 101.8 F. I wotk around both food and people. How do I get rid of this by Saturday?

If our society handled jobs better in allowing people to actually take sick days...

Of course, there's no surefire way to get rid of a cold by the guaranteed time, but the usual advice applies:

Drink plenty of fluids. Water is always good. Herbal tea (especially chamomile, ginger, peppermint, or elder flower) is excellent, too (helps promote circulation and sweating while also hydrating you). Honey in your tea is also good.

Eat hot chicken soup (has a lot of the nutrients you need!). If there's someone around who can make you homemade chicken soup, that's even better, or you can order out from someplace.

Scrambled eggs or cinnamon-sugar toast is good for breakfast.

Apparently fermented cod liver oil (come in capsules) helps reduce the duration of illnesses as it promotes immune activity.

Probiotics (dietary supplement pills) can also help immune health.

Unless your fever gets high enough to be dangerous or it's so uncomfortable that you're not getting any sleep, let the fever run its course. Taking advil and other pills to suppress the fever can make the illness last longer, although that does mean a few days where you feel really extra bad. D:

Plenty of rest and lounging around. You can cat nap throughout the day and try to get a good night's rest. If you are so uncomfortable you can't get a good night's rest, go ahead and take something for it.

Warm epsom salt baths can relieve acheyness.

Maybe the night before you go back to work, try this sweet potato stir fry. I had a cold a few months ago (and with asthma, I really get knocked down for a long time) and got tired of soup. Ginger and cinnamon are both supposed to be good for general cold-symptoms relief and good for your immune system, so I was looking for something still lightish on my stomach but more interesting and a little more filling than soup and came across this recipe. I thought it seemed kinda dry, so I also made this sweet and sour stir fry sauce (just the sauce) to go with it with some rice, of course. I actually also added some pork (from a pork loin) to mine, as I thought it needed some meat. I have to say, I don't even like sweet potatoes, and this was really good! I'd definitely make it again. Plus, you don't have to use coconut oil (whatever oil you have is fine), but some coconut oil in your food is supposed to also help you recover from a cold faster, so if you can afford it, might as well.

When you go back to work Saturday, just make sure you regularly wash your hands, try to limit touch as much as you can, wear gloves, and if you have to sneeze, make sure you cover your mouth well!

I hope you're up and feeling better soon!

Oh, sorry, I never saw this! D: What'd you end up getting him?

No problem! I realized that he didn't have Rogue One on Blu-ray yet, so I bought him that, he was very pleased biggrin.gif

And to Syrien, I would advice taking a zinc and a vitamin C supplement. Zinc has been scientifically proven to reduce the length of the flu and vitamin C is all in all great for you immune system. And definitely fluids as Sock said, water, juice, tea, just anything you feel like drinking! Rest well, try not to strain yourself too much before your work. It's really sucky, and dangerous for both the people you work with, customers and most definitely yourself, that you have to go to work.

I would advice you to take some paracetamol before you get to work, so it can reduce the fever and you will be able to work better. It may make the flu last longer, but at least you can survive your work day, and the risk of getting complications from having a fever and exercising is not as high. Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks for the advuce guys. I have been drinking plenty of fluids, but the vitamins have really been helping. I'll definitely have the try that recipe tonight Sock. It sounds delicious. Chicken soup is great, but after three days I'm getting a bit tired of it.

I'll see if I have any zinc in the medicine cabinet. I took some nyquil last night which really helped. I slept so deep I was pretty much dead to the world. xd.png

I don't have to clock in tomorrow until 6pm which is even better I found out. Hopefully I'll be feeling better by then.

What are the answers to the following? And why?

user posted image

user posted image

How do I make an avatar gallery here? I want mine to circle around my ocs like how Ky's does.

So we got a new dog last Tuesday! He's a sweetheart, an adorable 2 1/2 year old boxer brindle purebred, and he's a great companion. However, despite this, he's also a great chewer. He never touches anything around the house the house that aren't his toys, but whenever we do get him toys, they only last him about a day before they're totally destroyed. Just two days ago we got him another toy- a large red ball about a foot in diameter, about an inch and a half of rubber (its hollow), with two holes across from each other on opposite ends, with a rope running through it for tug of war. The lady at the pet store said she got the same exact toy for her horse, and he had it for 4 years before needing a new one, and someone else standing nearby also said she got it for her dog and she had it for years before it was broken. Our dog had it for 5 minutes and he tore a hole into it. By the end of day 1 he had torn the rope out of it, and ripped a gaping hole into the ball. At this point I will appreciate any and ALL tips on how to help him not destroy his toys so fast, or on what kinds of toys we should be getting him.

My yellow Lab has a destructive streak too. He once chewed through a tire as a puppy. Have you tried a jolly ball yet? My neighbor has four horses and they have yet to destroy theirs. My dog has two, one of which has survived being run over by accident, so they're pretty durable laugh.gif

Dog bones like this one can stand some pretty intense chewing too. My dog has had a similar one since he was a puppy and he's barely made a dent in it (he's turning 8 years old this Christmas). Large rope toys might work for your Boxer too, but my dog tends to shred them within a few days if they're not almost wrist thick.

I hope this helps smile.gif

Edited by The Dragoness

These ones are pretty sturdy, too!

Kong toys also - you can fill them with peanut butter and treats, then freeze, then give to your dog.

Ooo- these toys look really nice! I'll see about getting him a couple biggrin.gif thanks for the great advice! We did get him a tug rope, but he doesn't play with it nearly as much as he plays with the kong balls lol