RheaZen

Q&A: Questions and Answers

My Sims 2 game disc has a few small cracks around the center. The longest is about 2 millimeters. Should I replace it or could it possibly still be used without shattering?

I am going to assume it couldn't be repaired.

Is there a store around you that has a repair machine? Our local video store has one, and my BF was able to fix a disc that got scratched when the dogs ran through his headset cord, and pulled his XBox forward.

It's worth a shot, and it only costs a couple dollars. I'm just not sure how many of those machines are around where you are.

My Sims 2 game disc has a few small cracks around the center. The longest is about 2 millimeters. Should I replace it or could it possibly still be used without shattering?

As long as the cracks don't reach the data part of the disc, I am pretty sure it should be fine. Those things don't shatter easily, it probably has scratches from being handled and spun around for hours on end for a long time.

I scalded my thigh with hot water(I was trying to pour water into my tea cup while watching TV and I completely missed the cup and poured it all over my bare thigh) and I have second degree burn wounds. It has blistered, the blisters turned into one super blister, that blister popped, the skin fell off and now it's an exposed wound. At this point would I want to still keep it moist and covered with polysporin and gauze, or do I want it to air out and dry?

Edited by Syaoransbear

Oh ow.

I'm no doctor but is it possible to alternate? Cover it during the day if you have to do things and let it breathe at night?

I scalded my thigh with hot water(I was trying to pour water into my tea cup while watching TV and I completely missed the cup and poured it all over my bare thigh) and I have second degree burn wounds. It has blistered, the blisters turned into one super blister, that blister popped, the skin fell off and now it's an exposed wound. At this point would I want to still keep it moist and covered with polysporin and gauze, or do I want it to air out and dry?

In reality you should probably see a doctor since it sounds like a fairly large burn, but this might help with treatment if you're averse/can't afford to go/whatever to the doctor:

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-tre...-topic-overview

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/first-aid-burns/FA00022

Since your blisters broke and it's now an open wound you need to bandage it. If you want to put polysporin on it the first link says that's fine to help prevent infection.

You talking scratches or actual cracks? Scratches can actually be fixed with toothpaste.

Partial-thickness burns of more than 1% of your body area (so if it's the size of your palm or bigger) require hospital attention. It's a massive infection risk and can scar if it isn't allowed to heal properly.

If you don't want to go or can't afford, I'd suggest using burns gels and keeping it under wraps - drying it out will not help the healing process as wounds need to be relatively moist in order to heal, and a dressing will add a physical barrier to prevent infection. Keep it clean and moist, if it starts to look infected then definitely go get help.

Edited by Kestra15

I live in Canada so not being able to afford it isn't an issue tongue.gif, I just usually only go to a doctor for treatment, not for advice. I feel bad like I'm wasting their time or something if I just want to ask questions.

It has shrunk a lot, so now it's not big enough to go to the hospital, it's about as wide as my palm but it's only about half the length of it.

Thanks, I'll continue keeping it moist. I've kept infection away so far, and the edges where it isn't so bad are starting to feel itchy so I think that's a good sign.

Edited by Syaoransbear

I was wondering if anyone knew how long it would take a wet tent to grow mould? I was looking around, and the general consensus was 48 hours, but if anyone has anything a bit more comforting I would really appreciate it tongue.gif When I say wet, I mean literally soaked through (It was broken at the time and the outer leaked right through to the inner). The tent has been kept wrapped up in a bundle for about 3 months now....

I forget which brand (I'm trying to find out now), but I know it costs @£60, (this problem is only with the inner, the outer has been cleaned, as have the pegs and poles), it's a 3 person tent, no porch. It's also one of those tents where the outer is larger than the inner...

So, would it have grown mould, would the fact it's covered in milky water change this, and how would should I try to clean it?

I was wondering if anyone knew how long it would take a wet tent to grow mould? I was looking around, and the general consensus was 48 hours, but if anyone has anything a bit more comforting I would really appreciate it tongue.gif When I say wet, I mean literally soaked through (It was broken at the time and the outer leaked right through to the inner). The tent has been kept wrapped up in a bundle for about 3 months now....

I forget which brand (I'm trying to find out now), but I know it costs @£60, (this problem is only with the inner, the outer has been cleaned, as have the pegs and poles), it's a 3 person tent, no porch. It's also one of those tents where the outer is larger than the inner...

So, would it have grown mould, would the fact it's covered in milky water change this, and how would should I try to clean it?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that tent is quite possibly beyond help at this point. Packed wet and left bundled for three months? You'll be lucky if the fabric, or at least the stitching, hasn't completely rotted through, especially as you say it's covered in milky water.

If you're determined to try to salvage it, you have to get it set up immediately, somewhere that it can be left up long enough to dry thoroughly. Is it a free-standing dome type tent? If so, you can set it up in a dry basement or other large room, as the pegs aren't necessary for support, only to keep it from blowing away in a stiff breeze.

Once it's dry, you can try cleaning it. Cleaning with bleach might work. Sierra Designs offers some suggestions on their tent FAQ page as well.

Good luck!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that tent is quite possibly beyond help at this point. Packed wet and left bundled for three months? You'll be lucky if the fabric, or at least the stitching, hasn't completely rotted through, especially as you say it's covered in milky water.

If you're determined to try to salvage it, you have to get it set up immediately, somewhere that it can be left up long enough to dry thoroughly. Is it a free-standing dome type tent? If so, you can set it up in a dry basement or other large room, as the pegs aren't necessary for support, only to keep it from blowing away in a stiff breeze.

Once it's dry, you can try cleaning it. Cleaning with bleach might work. Sierra Designs offers some suggestions on their tent FAQ page as well.

Good luck!

Aaah nao ohmy.gif It is free standing, so I guess I'll try that then :l I haven't seen it yet, it's coming in in Monday, but I'll prepare for the worst tongue.gif Thanks smile.gif

When I say wet, I mean literally soaked through (It was broken at the time and the outer leaked right through to the inner). The tent has been kept wrapped up in a bundle for about 3 months now....

Chuck it and get a new one.

Chuck it and get a new one.

That's not an option tongue.gif

We got it for a camping expedition at school, so it's tagged and we need to return it to the teacher before the expedition, as we had someone new join our group so need a 4 person tent. The outer/poles for some reason didn't work with the inner, even though the teacher could find no problems...

Thanks though, but I think we're just going to let the twit who didn't clean it get yelled at tongue.gif

What could cause excessive hiccuping? I don't mean after eating- I get hiccups (sometimes a lot at once, other times just one or two) every day whether I've eaten or not. It happens less at school or in public than it does at home. A lot of times I'll walk into my house and spontaneously hiccup.

My mom thinks its due to stress, so now whenever I hiccup she jumps on me to ask why I'm stressed. dry.gif She's probably right, but does anyone know of any other possibilities?

What could cause excessive hiccuping? I don't mean after eating- I get hiccups (sometimes a lot at once, other times just one or two) every day whether I've eaten or not. It happens less at school or in public than it does at home. A lot of times I'll walk into my house and spontaneously hiccup.

My mom thinks its due to stress, so now whenever I hiccup she jumps on me to ask why I'm stressed. dry.gif She's probably right, but does anyone know of any other possibilities?

The scientific reasoning for hiccups is that you have too much oxygen in your system. Your body is trying to get rid of it and hiccuping is how it does that. Conversely, the reason why you yawn is because your body needs more oxygen. At least, these were the reasons given to me.

The scientific reasoning for hiccups is that you have too much oxygen in your system. Your body is trying to get rid of it and hiccuping is how it does that. Conversely, the reason why you yawn is because your body needs more oxygen. At least, these were the reasons given to me.

Neither of which are proven reasons. We're not sure why yawning and hiccuping came about to be honest.

Neither of which are proven reasons. We're not sure why yawning and hiccuping came about to be honest.

Vsauce has an interesting video concerning the subject of yawning. Quite interesting. They're quite contagious in animals as well as humans.

Why do teachers assign an insane amount of hw on ones birthday??

Vsauce has an interesting video concerning the subject of yawning. Quite interesting. They're quite contagious in animals as well as humans.

On yawning being contagious in animals: I've found that yawning seems to be contagious between my horses and I. They yawn, I yawn back. It's cute. laugh.gif

On homework: Its a conspiracy! Teachers plan it all out.

Why do students never consider that we end up marking that insane amount of homework on our own birthdays? wink.gif

Why do students never consider that we end up marking that insane amount of homework on our own birthdays?  wink.gif

Touche. laugh.gif I've never looked at that from the point of view of a teacher.

Edited by Dimar

DC, I would really love your opinion; for this is quite a serious inquiry tongue.gif!

I had originally planned to drop an anonymous valentines card in someone's mailbox on Thursday. Its a hand-made book-like card that would've said:

(each with an small illustration drawn underneath it)

Stars without the Sky

Nachos without Cheese

Peanutbutter without Jelly

Sun without the Moon

Me without You

Apparently after asking around and talking with friends, that just may be borderline creepy and stalkerish (which is totally not my intention sad.gif), so instead, the final plan after putting our heads together will be me dropping a very plain white card that just says:

You remind me of bacon.

(TINY TINY red heart underneath it, smaller than half your pinky nail)

on it.

Thoughts? xd.png Would you be flattered or would you be creeped out?

Either way, when the time comes, I'm going to do either or.

After all, YOLO!

I'm going to shoot myself for saying that...

I would say it depends on your age and the person you're giving it to. I still have the note that says I'm hot with a number to call that was stuffed in my locker in HS. I'm sure it was just some people messing around and they had no idea whose locker it was, but it makes me feel good anyway. =p

I am 21 and the person Im giving it to is...either 20 going on 21 or 21.

My real point is not to creep anyone out or ask anyone out, just wanted to do something nice for a person I admire and make their day.

And sock, that is absolutely awesome. Im guessing you never called, but it still made you feel good to get a compliment, right? Thats just precisely what Im attempting, just to make a point of complimenting. tongue.gif

@Xythus: I think that it depends on the person. I don't eat meat, so at first I would be a bit put off (why do I remind you of dead, processed animals!?) but then I would see the humor and laugh- it wouldn't bother me any more. But someone without a sense of humor would just be annoyed.

It also depends on whether you're genuinely trying to make them feel loved or if its all in fun. Because if you're serious, that card doesn't convey the message. It's just a good laugh.

I hope this helps! biggrin.gif

Edit: drat, I was ninja'ed by BOTH of you! Oh well.

Edited by Dimar

Yep, I was a coward and never called. x3 It did definitely make my day. :>

I'd say that if the person you have in mind is more like you than your friends, go for it! Since it sounds like a sillier card, I think it could easily come across more silly than 'holy crap I should call the cops'. ^^

Lol, Dimar. x3 I'm guessing any input is welcome. <3