RheaZen

Q&A: Questions and Answers

I have two math tests coming up. One tomorrow, and one in a month or a few weeks. I usually do well on them, since I know the material I've learned, but I have trouble getting myself to study. I know I should, but I can't get myself to properly study. On math, or other subjects. So does anyone have any tips?

Just sit down and make yourself study. For math, do practice problems, and reward yourself periodically, like, "for every ten problems in I row that I complete correctly, I can have a sweet." You can do the same thing for other subjects, practice quizzes or just read the textbook.

I have two math tests coming up. One tomorrow, and one in a month or a few weeks. I usually do well on them, since I know the material I've learned, but I have trouble getting myself to study. I know I should, but I can't get myself to properly study. On math, or other subjects. So does anyone have any tips?

One thing to do is set yourself up where there are minimal distractions, for example, don't study in a room with a TV or a gaming console set up. I have also heard that you should avoid studying in your room if at all possible.

I've found that some of the diurnal beats help me to study. There's a bunch on youtube (it's helpful to put the one you like on youtuberepeat, especially for shorter ones). Some are just grating to me, but some are pleasant and they're repetitive without lyrics, so it helps me focus and stay focused.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

What's with the vampires in Tom Petty's "Free Fallin'"? Seriously. I'm all, "Well, I guess it could be a metaphor for bad boys coming after the girl? Maybe?" and CaduceusCade's all "But then he mentions bad boys! Maybe it's for anyone awake at night and asleep during the day?" But that's so random.

Thoughts?

Edited by vintageandroid

What is the specific intended use of powerpoints?

Like, I always thought they were support for an oral presentation, a prompter or shorthand, but in college all I see is people throwing up a bullet point list and reading off the slide in presentations and it's just generally sucky. Tone is all wrong and I feel like it's not the most effective communication. I can read a summary on a freaking slide, you should be speaking more in-depth and eloquently.

Like, I always thought they were support for an oral presentation, a prompter or shorthand, but in college all I see is people throwing up a bullet point list and reading off the slide in presentations and it's just generally sucky. Tone is all wrong and I feel like it's not the most effective communication. I can read a summary on a freaking slide, you should be speaking more in-depth and eloquently.

They're supposed to be used your way. Everyone else is just a ****ty public speaker.

There are a few general rules of thumb:

• Slide background should be a light color with minimal design elements.
  • Text should be a dark color that is at least size 18 or 20 and easy to read on the background. It should be a simple, plain, font.
  • Titles should be uniform in size and should be a bolded easy to read font.
  • No more than about 15 words on a slide. No more than 2-3 pictures.
  • If you can include pictures instead of words (diagrams, charts, etc) do so.
  • In general 1 slide per minute is an accepted amount. I do about 2 slides per minute. If you have a 15 minute presentation, have 15 slides (I will typically have 25-30).
  • Do NOT read off of the slides. You also shouldn't need palm cards or notes. This isn't a speech. Engage your audience.
  • No animations (font, slide changes) are necessary.
In college I see so many presentations where people ignore all of that. Messy backgrounds, hard to read font, giant blocks of text, reading the text to us off the presentation. It's like come on, I can read. I've known how to read since I was in the first grade. Edited by kiffren

Ok, it's not just me then. I was feeling a bit snobby judging people for that but it feels a little justified now lol. Thanks :3

I've always taught people to use powerpoints, and used them myself, as supporting a talk as opposed to replacing a talk. The powerpoint is such that it could be printed off and given out and the audience could understand it just as well simply reading the powerpoint then it's been done wrong. At least 90% of the presentation should come from the speaker, not the slides.

Powerpoints should have brief bullet points which you expand upon. Important quotes, full definitions etc are okay, but generally no more than about four bullet points with short sentences is my preference. As opposed to Kiffren I'll say notes/cue cards are actually the most important thing to have to hand, but they should be prompts/aids to yourself, not your whole speech written down. No matter how well you know your topic it's best to have those prompts so that you don't forget any points/topics you have to cover. Bear in mind I use Powerpoints for teaching more than public speaking/debates/etc, so my style of use is more towards teaching, but the same applies really; speaking publicly to get across your point(s). However the rest of Kiffren's points are spot-on; don't make them cluttered, make them easy to read, etc.

Edited by Kestra15

What's the best way to deal with an anxiety attack?

Depends on the person, but I usually try to focus on something--for a long time it was reciting the Fibonacci Sequence, or scanning poetry I have memorized, or reciting said poetry. If you're religious, I imagine prayers would do the same thing. It just gives you something to concentrate on.

And of course, trying to find the root cause ("What am I feeling? What thoughts influenced this feeling? What prompted those thoughts?") is something the professionals recommend, but in the thick of an attack, is kind of useless, at least to me. But when you're spiraling down it can be a good way to prevent the next one.

Depends on the person, but I usually try to focus on something--for a long time it was reciting the Fibonacci Sequence, or scanning poetry I have memorized, or reciting said poetry. If you're religious, I imagine prayers would do the same thing. It just gives you something to concentrate on.

Aye, focusing on something seems to be a common thing people use to try and calm themselves when it comes to anxiety attacks. Like me, I tend to stalk the Cave when I have mine, since it gives me something I can really focus on. Video games and stuff help me too.

But anyways, having an idea of what makes you happy or calms you is the first step. Then trying out different things to see what helps the most. Reciting certain lines in your head like vintage said is a good one, maybe taking a walk, reading a book, writing in a journal...it all depends on the person.

This is driving me crazy.

Shirts like this:

user posted image

Light material, loose and baggy, buttons in front...

But NOT Aloha shirts. I know what I linked is an Aloha shirt, but that's the only name I know to go by. I've seen them in other colors, like checkered or black with flames, but I cannot find them for the life of me. Halp?

This is driving me crazy.

Shirts like this:

user posted image

Light material, loose and baggy, buttons in front...

But NOT Aloha shirts. I know what I linked is an Aloha shirt, but that's the only name I know to go by. I've seen them in other colors, like checkered or black with flames, but I cannot find them for the life of me. Halp?

Do you mean shirts like this?

I have a project for English class- I need to show how satire is used in Brave New World. It has to be creative, not just a lecture... but I'm not creative.

I've thought about something like the Colbert Report, but I'm not good at coming up with witty lines. I've also considered rewriting some of Weird Al Yankovic's songs to reflect Brave New World, but I can't sing or otherwise get farther than the lyrics. And finally, I've considered drawing caricatures but I don't have time to do that.

Any other ideas?

When I was suffering panic attacks I was taught to do breathing excercises. Focus solely on your breating, the in and out, and try to calm it.

The dude I have been crushing on since last year is no longer in the same class as me; separated into different classes. Even though I miss him; get to see him far less, dunno why, I just can't bring myself to click on his facebook page or check up on him during his lessons...

Edited by S9429183F

The other night I wore earplugs overnight. I've never had problems doing that before, but this time I got a bunch of ear wax jammed in my right ear and now I can't hear out of it. I've tried cleaning it out with peroxide but only a little came out. Does anyone else have ideas before I call my doctor?

The other night I wore earplugs overnight. I've never had problems doing that before, but this time I got a bunch of ear wax jammed in my right ear and now I can't hear out of it. I've tried cleaning it out with peroxide but only a little came out. Does anyone else have ideas before I call my doctor?

Mineral oil in that ear two to three times per day for a week, if it doesn't work go to the doctor and request an ear irrigation. You can try to irrigate your ears yourself but I find it easier to just have the doctor do it. Don't use Q-Tips either.

This might be a stupid question, but... Is it safe to keep a semi-large amount of money in a safe that has a plastic handle? The safe itself is thick and sturdy (metal, I think), but the handle is plastic, and I feel like if I tried to yank it open it might break. I don't know if I'd be able to get *into* it if it broke, but.... I just worry about burglary. And opening a bank account sorta isn't an option for me.

A chain's only as strong as its weakest link. It's possible that the handle would be an entry point / weak point in the safe, so I dunno. I think it'd be okay though, so long as no one knows about the safe and you hide it.

Why does my cat keep on pulling out his hair?

There are two other cats in the house, both girls, one his age and one nine years older than him. He is almost 8 months old right now.

Why does my cat keep on pulling out his hair?

There are two other cats in the house, both girls, one his age and one nine years older than him. He is almost 8 months old right now.

I'd have the vet double-check for diseases that can cause hair-loss first, but if he comes back clear then it can only be stress. Some cats just don't do well in multi-cat households - especially if it's a multi-indoor-cat household as they can't get away from each other as easily.