RheaZen

Q&A: Questions and Answers

I can see no picture and have absolutely no idea what animal you're talking about, but just as a first and foremost precaution, I sure hope the tupperware container has holes in it or some way for it to get fresh oxygen.

I can see no picture and have absolutely no idea what animal you're talking about, but just as a first and foremost precaution, I sure hope the tupperware container has holes in it or some way for it to get fresh oxygen.

sorry, just got some pictures. and the tupperware top is really loose on there. just enough that the cats wont top it over. i am also taking it off a lot. trying to give him a bath without touching him right now.

user posted image

Some sort of salamander. i wouldn't keep it, they need it cold, wet, and can't be handled because the oils in your skin hurt them.

Is it still wet out? i'd put it back outside somewhere moist with hiding spots and etc.

I saw someone had posted a CD on tumblr and a sample of the music. I was wondering is there's someone here who can translate Hebrew (assuming it's Hebrew and not something more obscure)so I can find out who makes this music:

user posted image

Can anyone provide some insight, or perhaps some good links on the subject of, raves and rave culture? I'm writing a character who attends raves in San Antonio, TX in 2003 and I'd like to try to get the details as accurate as possible.

(If it helps, he doesn't do drugs and he's asexual, so he's strictly there for the dancing, the trancing, and perhaps a bit of a contact high...) smile.gif

Thanks to anyone who can help out!

Guys don't kill me, but what the hell is homestuck? I keep hearing the name like everywhere.

Edited by Ninetails

Homestuck is a weird webcomic/Flash animation hybrid monstrosity with a needlessly convoluted plotline. The Wikipedia article sums it up far better than any fan ever could.

I have a series of questions, heh.

Which language is easier to learn for an English speaker- Swedish or Norwegian?

Which country is generally better to live in (I can handle the cold xd.png)- Sweden or Norway?

And finally, which would it be better to go to college in of the aforementioned countries?

I'm trying to decide whether I should start planning to go to Sweden or Norway, obviously.

Not sure, if anyone here can answer this and I probably don't know how to define this properly for Google to give sensible results, but (molecular biology talk ahead) - does anyone know how fast do PCR reagents spoil in the fridge? On Monday at work I found that I had left a rack with some PCR buffer, magnesium chloride and 10 mM dNTP mix (the latter irks me the most, because it's expensive and it was a relatively new tube :S) over the weekend in the fridge at 4C instead of -20C in the freezer because it had been so horribly busy last week and I just... lost my censorkip.gif at some point, which I'm not proud of. Would the reagents still be usable after 4 days in the fridge?

I'm wondering because I put an experimental PCR with these earlier today and got some weird results with smears/vague products at ~100-200 base pair length, which couldn't have been a primer band (way too long). I used a single DNA sample for multiple repeats and the smears were present in all but one of the samples. I did, however, get my desired product at ~1100 bp, though, in addition to the smears. Could this result be because of the reagents having gone bad because of the relatively high storage temperature, or could it mean that there was contamination present in the pipet or the test tubes I used?

Edited by lightbird

Not sure, if anyone here can answer this and I probably don't know how to define this properly for Google to give sensible results, but (molecular biology talk ahead) - does anyone know how fast do PCR reagents spoil in the fridge? On Monday at work I found that I had left a rack with some PCR buffer, magnesium chloride and 10 mM dNTP mix (the latter irks me the most, because it's expensive and it was a relatively new tube :S) over the weekend in the fridge at 4C instead of -20C in the freezer because it had been so horribly busy last week and I just... lost my censorkip.gif at some point, which I'm not proud of. Would the reagents still be usable after 4 days in the fridge?

I'm wondering because I put an experimental PCR with these earlier today and got some weird results with smears/vague products at ~100-200 base pair length, which couldn't have been a primer band (way too long). I used a single DNA sample for multiple repeats and the smears were present in all but one of the samples. I did, however, get my desired product at ~1100 bp, though, in addition to the smears. Could this result be because of the reagents having gone bad because of the relatively high storage temperature, or could it mean that there was contamination present in the pipet or the test tubes I used?

www.qiagen.com/hb/taqpcr

http://www.protocol-online.org/biology-for...osts/12187.html

I think these might be relevant.

www.qiagen.com/hb/taqpcr

http://www.protocol-online.org/biology-for...osts/12187.html

I think these might be relevant.

Thanks, but not really. ;D

Well, I DID find one PCR reagent company's FAQ (not the company from which we buy, though), and it says that dNTPs, which are the most unstable, can be stored in the fridge for roughly a week, although it's much better to store them in the freezer. So... IDK, I think it's something else.

Thanks, but not really. ;D

Well, I DID find one PCR reagent company's FAQ (not the company from which we buy, though), and it says that dNTPs, which are the most unstable, can be stored in the fridge for roughly a week, although it's much better to store them in the freezer. So... IDK, I think it's something else.

Yeah, If I start typing"dNTP storage", google already puts in "4 c" and they'll say a few days or weeks.

Yeah, If I start typing"dNTP storage", google already puts in "4 c" and they'll say a few days or weeks.

Aha, so apparently derp on my part when it came to defining my problem in Google. So I think those aren't the dNTPs, but some kind of a contamination. I'll have to find out what exactly was contaminated when I have the time, meanwhile we'll use a different chemical set for next week's practical lessons.

I have a series of questions, heh.

Which language is easier to learn for an English speaker- Swedish or Norwegian?

Which country is generally better to live in (I can handle the cold xd.png)- Sweden or Norway?

And finally, which would it be better to go to college in of the aforementioned countries?

I'm trying to decide whether I should start planning to go to Sweden or Norway, obviously.

Hmmm both languges are Not difficult, Maybe the best Start Would be to learn your Own Language. Ok that Sounds Strange, if its Said so blutly. I mean learning the grammar and the Syntax of a Strange Language is much rasier if you are already familiar with the Concept. And the easierst Way to learn that Concept is to learn the structure of your Own Language.

Most People that understand the One Language seem to understand the other too, in both countries Most People are fluent in english. I think the pronounciation and grammar of Norway is supposed to be a Little Bit more archaic than that of swedish. For Me swedish Sounds softer more melodic, but Sommerhow i think norwaygian more: come to the Point

What so you mean by better? The Social Standards are very High in both, the universities are also very Good in both. Norway has more mountains and sweden more flat Lands. Norwy is not a member of eu sweden is. Hmmm and the Options to Pay for university are different.

Hey guys.

So I've gotten back into DnD, and I want to play an Avenger, who is based off Paladin Anderson from the Hellsing series. Basically, I want intimidating quotes about religion and whatnot. They don't have to be direct quotes from any religion, they just have to be intimidating and religious in some way.

Here's an example:"

Serve the lord with fear and rejoice with trembling. Kiss the son lest he be angry and you perish from the way when his wrath is kindled but a little."

It is your corrupt I claim, it is your evil that will be sought by me with every breath.

You could also think Boondock Saints if you don't know Hellsing.

I'd appreciate any help you all could give me.

Got a question for the Brits on the board!

I'm working on a fanfiction at the moment (an AU Harry Potter, if anyone cares) and I have a question about titles. As I understand it, when a hereditary knight dies, his son then takes up the title and would be Sir Whomever. Would that be the case if the heir is still a minor, or would the heir be called something like the Honourable Whomever until he reaches his majority? I mean, it seems a little silly calling a nine year old kid Sir Whomever (say, in a Muggle news blurb) but if that's what's correct, that's what I'll be using.

*grins* I prefer to get as much detail as possible correct, which is why I'm asking. I've already been gently corrected once for making a comment about university courses that would be correct for the US but wrong for Great Britain. So I'd like to not screw this one up if at all possible.

Thanks!

Got a question for the Brits on the board!

I'm working on a fanfiction at the moment (an AU Harry Potter, if anyone cares) and I have a question about titles. As I understand it, when a hereditary knight dies, his son then takes up the title and would be Sir Whomever. Would that be the case if the heir is still a minor, or would the heir be called something like the Honourable Whomever until he reaches his majority? I mean, it seems a little silly calling a nine year old kid Sir Whomever (say, in a Muggle news blurb) but if that's what's correct, that's what I'll be using.

*grins* I prefer to get as much detail as possible correct, which is why I'm asking. I've already been gently corrected once for making a comment about university courses that would be correct for the US but wrong for Great Britain. So I'd like to not screw this one up if at all possible.

Thanks!

You can inherit a hereditary peerage if you are under the age of 21, though you have to wait till you are 21 to decline it. So I assume you can use the title. You can certainly inherit the baronetcy at any age.

Here are a few in one family:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acland_baronets

NB a knighthood in the UK is NOT hereditary. Ever. It is a title/honour conferred by the monarch and does not outlive the person who gets it.

But a baronet is a Sir. However - you call a BARON Lord, not sir - and if addressing mail to a baron: Sir Albert Catstaff, Bart.

(I have just been consulting with my SO, who knew a couple of Sirs at school and assures me that they were sirs even when they were 12 !)

Edited by fuzzbucket

You can inherit a hereditary peerage if you are under the age of 21, though you have to wait till you are 21 to decline it. So I assume you can use the title. You can certainly inherit the baronetcy at any age.

Ere are a few in one family:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acland_baronets

NB a knighthood in the UK is NOT hereditary. Ever. It is a title/honour conferred by the monarch and does not outlive the person who gets it.

But a baron is a Sir.

Thank you!

I guess I must have gotten baronetcies and knighthoods confused in my mind somehow. Eh, no real big deal, I can fudge things easily enough to fit in with what I've already written, and thank goodness I try to keep things vague for the most part. laugh.gif

Cough. Check my edit. Him knows more than I do ! You can have little Baronet Sirs all over your storyline ! And as I just recalled myself - what about little LORD Fauntleroy - who was about 9 when he inherited.... He was the son of an Earl.... and became a LORD...

Hot damn let's stick with Baronets and Sir....

Edit checked, and thanks once again!

Random question time! Does touch typing count as touch typing even if you don't use the 'f' or 'j' keys as reference points at all?

I'm asking this because my friend and I tested our typing speeds. I clocked in at 129 words or 646 characters per minute and she asked how I typed so fast. I assumed it was because I touch type but she says I'm not really touch typing since I move my hands too much. My understanding of touch typing has been challenged. .n.

Random question time! Does touch typing count as touch typing even if you don't use the 'f' or 'j' keys as reference points at all?

I'm asking this because my friend and I tested our typing speeds. I clocked in at 129 words or 646 characters per minute and she asked how I typed so fast. I assumed it was because I touch type but she says I'm not really touch typing since I move my hands too much. My understanding of touch typing has been challenged. .n.

Touch typing is any typing where you aren't looking at the keys while you type. Just because you don't touch-type in a professionally trained manner doesn't mean that's not what you are doing. Would she say a blind person wasn't touch-typing if they didn't use the f & j keys as reference points?