RheaZen

Q&A: Questions and Answers

Touch typing is any typing where you aren't looking at the keys while you type. Just because you don't touch-type in a professionally trained manner doesn't mean that's not what you are doing. Would she say a blind person wasn't touch-typing if they didn't use the f & j keys as reference points?

The point of the f and j keys is that they have raised markers on them, so - well, a blind person CAN use them...

Just saying. I agree about your definition though. Also though - I did take a touch typing course many moons ago. And we never DID use the f and j keys as reference points.

Touch typing is any typing where you aren't looking at the keys while you type.

This. How you do it doesn't matter.

Is there a name for that thing when you mix up some letters in words and...pff, I don't know how to describe it.

As an example, around Halloween I meant to ask someone if we were going to buy bags of candy to hand out and instead I said "cags of bandy". Is there a word for this? I tend to do it a lot.

Is there a name for that thing when you mix up some letters in words and...pff, I don't know how to describe it.

As an example, around Halloween I meant to ask someone if we were going to buy bags of candy to hand out and instead I said "cags of bandy".  Is there a word for this?  I tend to do it a lot.

Do you do it when you write, read, or are speaking? It sounds a little bit like dyslexia, but that's just an uneducated guess on my part.

Edited by sheppardkid

Do you do it when you write, read, or are speaking? It sounds a little bit like dyslexia, but that's just an uneducated guess on my part.

I don't do it when I read, but I do it once in a while when I speak and rarely when I think.

As an example, around Halloween I meant to ask someone if we were going to buy bags of candy to hand out and instead I said "cags of bandy". Is there a word for this? I tend to do it a lot.

That particular one (switching start letters) is a Spoonerism.

That particular one (switching start letters) is a Spoonerism.

Just the starting letters?

I've switched ending letters, too. I guess I don't do it as often, though, because I can't think of an example. I think I've switched chunks of words, too.

(Non-important) EDIT: Just googled it. I lol'd at some of the examples. |D

Edited by Ali'i Makani Pahili

@ TikindiDragon, fuzzbucket, Kestra15: Thanks guys for answering. ^^ That's what I thought but got a little confused when I remembered the touch typing program we used in primary school (unlike you, fuzz, we were taught over and over to keep our fingers on the 'f' and 'j' keys. I just didn't like doing that xP).

@ TikindiDragon, fuzzbucket, Kestra15: Thanks guys for answering. ^^ That's what I thought but got a little confused when I remembered the touch typing program we used in primary school (unlike you, fuzz, we were taught over and over to keep our fingers on the 'f' and 'j' keys. I just didn't like doing that xP).

Might be another US/UK difference? I was taught the home row way too.

Nope, I was never taught touch-type; I just picked it up from ten years of using computers. The way I touch-type is the heels of my hand sit on the table/laptop just either side of the space bar, which my thumbs use, and from there I've simply remembered where everything is - consciously or subconsciously.

I was taught to find the "f" and "j" keys too when I was younger. Once we had the home row keys learned, our teacher put cardboard over the keyboard so we couldn't see it and then we had to go by memory.

I just a a question about dentists, I have my first two holes in my teeth I am over 20 now and those are the first ones I have (and I don`t feel them), so my question is does theeth drill hurt? Both holes are between the molars.

I have to go to the dentist in an month. unsure.gif

Edited by Shajana

I just a a question about dentists, I have my first two holes in my teeth I am over 20 now and those are the first ones I have (and I don`t feel them), so my question is does theeth drill hurt? Both holes are between the molars.

I have to go to the dentist in an month. unsure.gif

Well, I can only talk considering my case xd.png You will feel it of course, especially if it's the teeth at the top, but it doesn't hurt. And if it does hurt, tell the dentist, you aren't supposed to feel pain I think xd.png Your mouth will be sore after that for a few hours, but not something you can't handle. It was like that for me 2 years ago at least, I don't know if it's different for the molars though but the results compensate

The dentist will give you a shot in your gums so that you won't feel any pain at all. They'll use a little bit of numbing gel on the area where they give you the shot, so you won't even feel the shot except as a weird pressure. The sound of the drill on your teeth will be strange and alarming, and apparently some people are tricked into thinking it hurts because it sounds so horrible, but it doesn't. Also it smells interesting, a little like... burning bone?

...I actually really enjoy having my teeth worked on. It's sort of relaxing and the anesthesia is amusing.

I just recently found out (yeah, I'm kinda slow), but I heard that the word "derpy" can actually mean "retarded" to some people....is this true? I thought it was just an internet thing to describe silliness or clumsiness in a oh-you're-such-a-klutsy-ditzy-person in an affectionate teasing way. I'm really starting to question how many really take it as "retarded" because I've used the word "derpy" many times...not intentionally to be mean of course. :|

To me 'derpy' can mean stupid, but defiantly not retarded. Or I can see it as being used as silly.

Blugh. So I wrote up this whole thing and then did a little more digging and found something more helpful. So, I'll spare you my ramblings and I'll leave you to take these as you will:

I am not exactly sure how much you know about what “derp” means— it is a word from a movie by the creators of South Park in 1998. It has only recently become an internet meme, however. Today, its use is generally to denote “stupidity” or “awkwardness”.

The problem with this is simple: “derp” is ableist. The “derp face” especially so. Some people with disabilities such as Down’s Syndrome, Autism, Cerebral Palsy, and even certain forms of social anxiety have trouble controlling their facial expressions. Some people with disabilities also have difficulty verbalizing clearly because they are not able to control the muscles in their face like other people.

If you search for images of “derp” on google, you’ll find people with their eyes rolling opposite ways, and videos of people saying things like “hurr hurr, derp derp”.These portrayals, whether intentionally malicious or not, contribute to the image that people with disabilities are “abnormal” or “wrong” in some way. I doubt that these images are a simple coincidence— stupidity, lack of intelligence, and other similar ideas have always been cast on people with disabilities.

I don’t often tell people this, but I’ve dealt with crippling social anxiety and depression my entire life. I can’t count the number of times I have been made to feel different or wrong because my anxiety literally affected my body’s ability to relax, to make “normal” facial expressions or even speak coherently. Regardless of intention, there is this social expectation of normalcy that a lot of people like me have to navigate. It is not a minor inconvenience or a simple annoyance; it is often downright terrifying. And every day, there are people out there who are beaten, sexually abused, or driven to depression and suicide because they look and sound “different”.

With the meme itself— I have seen people being bullied for having a “derp face”, back before it had a name. I have heard of people with disabilities being harassed, in public, on multiple occasions, with the “derp” meme (or similar “sounds”). I’m sure that we’ve all seen it happen, long before the meme labeled it— the obviously disabled kid in high school whom everyone picked on for how their face looked or how they spoke. It wasn’t okay then, and it’s not okay now, not even under a different name.

I’ve seen some fans excuse the character [MLP] by saying that “derpy” means “socially awkward”, but that is only one interpretation. It may not be offensive or hurtful to some people, but it certainly is to a lot of others. The “you’re too sensitive” argument doesn’t apply here when, as I’ve said, the word’s basic use is itself steeped in this idea that looking different and speaking differently is somehow wrong (and, as I’ve noted, there’s plenty of real life examples one could find of this). Making fun of people for not being able to interact and express themselves in the same way as the rest of us is ableist and extremely hurtful for those of us who deal with it every day. It doesn’t matter if it came from South Park or started out in some innocent way— what matters is how it is actually used now.

I will say though is a lot of people with disabilities, including myself, find “derp” and “herp derp” to be ableist and hurtful. Words like “derp” and “herp derp” are used in a offensive way. These words originated from a meme of people on wheelchairs and people making lopsided expressions.

so yeah. if anyone reads this, please keep it in mind. it may sound funny but this meme originated from captioning pictures of people in wheelchairs, or people with lopsided expressions. not cool.

Thank you very much SPF, for being very thorough with the explanation. Its funny how you mentioned Derpy Hooves from My Little Pony because thats exactly the reason why I asked; because I just came from a "Save Derpy Hooves!" website and was confused. Know that I don't advocate bullying or making fun of people who look different though.

Hah, that was part of my original explanation, as that's when the outrage over 'derp' became popular. x3 I'll admit, it's why I looked into it, too. :3

Well, I can only talk considering my case xd.png You will feel it of course, especially if it's the teeth at the top, but it doesn't hurt. And if it does hurt, tell the dentist, you aren't supposed to feel pain I think xd.png Your mouth will be sore after that for a few hours, but not something you can't handle. It was like that for me 2 years ago at least, I don't know if it's different for the molars though but the results compensate

Ah ok thank you, it looks like I just have to wait and see what will happen on january. But It is good to know that it don`t hurt (much).

Re: the Derp thing - I'll just add my two pennith as someone who *is* autistic (and who has also been using a walking stick for the last couple of months, so getting down with the pysical issues too)... couldn't give two hoots about it. Doesn't bother me, not even faintly linked to my condition.

*Some* people may be offended by the word. *Some*. But there will always be people that take offense over your use of language about *something*. As far as I'm concenred, I'd say keep speaking the way you want to speak, and don't censor yourself, until or unless you actually meet someone that has a problem with it. Because if we all self-censored due to angry people on the internet we'd never say anything.

Wasn't really sure where else to ask this, but I need help with the game LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 for Wii. In the Divination classroom in Free Play (not any level), there's a vault in the far corner that Griphook should be able to unlock. But here's my issue: when I use the potion to turn into Griphook it won't let me open the vault. The floor is glowing like it should and I get a bit of the sound effects of the door opening but even though I press the button I keep getting pushed away. I have tried changing each of the three characters with the potion but that doesn't seem to be working. Anyone have any ideas on how to get it to open?

I attempted to dye my bleached(golden brown) hair black twice with semi permanent dye(comes out in 8-10 washes) for my clinical attachment but my hair turned greenish and has faded to light green with a blonde tint. I love my current hair color but my mother wants to bring me to the hair salon to get it coated glossy black. I'm strongly against coloring my hair black especially permanently and if i was unfortunate as to be dragged there to get it dyed I will try means to fade that colour out. How can I fade permanent black dye as quickly as possible?

I attempted to dye my bleached(golden brown) hair black twice with semi permanent dye(comes out in 8-10 washes) for my clinical attachment but my hair turned greenish and has faded to light green with a blonde tint. I love my current hair color but my mother wants to bring me to the hair salon to get it coated glossy black. I'm strongly against coloring my hair black especially permanently and if i was unfortunate as to be dragged there to get it dyed I will try means to fade that colour out. How can I fade permanent black dye as quickly as possible?

Permanent black dye is an incredibly strong pigment, as in it stains literally everything it comes into contact with. Thats why you need to be so careful with it, because it's so dark.

As far as I know only way to combat it is to go to the other extreme, which is bleaching it again.

You should probably talk it out with your mom since you don't like black hair so much, it's probably the safest bet and it is YOUR hair after all.

--

Also I've got a question of my own: does anyone know how long someone should wait after eating things with peanuts before they do anything like kiss someone who is severely allergic to them?

Attempting to acquire a new computer. Should I get a LCD or LED monitor?

It'll be used mostly for gaming and internet browsing.

Also, I'm sorry I can never seem to answer anyone's questions here. :C