bbik

The Allure of Neglected Dragons

I was in the chat last night and I think bbik was suspecting the sudden surge of four day old eggs and the sharp increase in traffic. It's working for me today, but a bit slowly.

Wasn't me! I wasn't even on (or awake) at midnight, when timestamps indicate your guys were having trouble. The site upgrade we did a while back was intended to solve overloading problems, since back then, the site was getting more traffic than the host would support. So I would hope that wasn't the problem this time, but it's possible. I'm glad it fixed itself, though, because I barely have time to be online right now, much less track down random website problems -- stupid power outage! I'm hoping we have power back by this weekend...

Which part? The homepage gives views to dragons, the Daycare lets you add your dragons so they can get views, the ER saves your low-time dragons, the Extras page has a whole ton of tools and goodies for assorted purposes (take a look to see what they are), and the Help page gives you some general DC information, some AoND-specific information, site banners, etc.

If you don't understand how to use any part of the site, please let me know where you had trouble. If you have any suggestions for how to make that part clearer, I'd love to hear those as well. Anything that improves the site is good, and I don't always catch all the problems by myself!

Love the Allure. Hatched every single dragon egg I've had there. It hatched my (failed) ND experiment in literally five minutes biggrin.gif

Yes, I'm double-posting. I want to be able to link this specific chunk of text directly, though, and a separate post is the easiest way to do it.

For the Breed Tracker:

• 1: Do you want to see the gender of the adult you're tracking?

So far, I have one vote sure, one vote don't bother, and one vote neutral. That's not much to go on.

• 2A: Do you want to see only a list of which mates refused?

2B: Or a list of refusals, plus the current mate and the result of their latest breeding attempt?

2C: Or do you want a list of all mates?

• 3: If you want a list of all mates (2C), how should the result be shown?
    • 3A: Only the most recent outcome with each mate?
    • 3B: Save all results, giving you a running list of each recorded breeding attempt?
    • 3C: Or with a sliding scale where you work up to having an egg eventually?

For example: Attempt 1, you get no interest, so that result is saved. Attempt 2, they breed, but don't produce an egg. That is closer to an egg than no interest, so it overwrites the previous result. Attempt 3, they again show no interest, but since they bred once, this latest result is ignored in favor of Attempt 2's result. Attempt 4, they finally breed an egg, so that result is saved, and from now on, that's what those two dragons will show, since it has happened at least once.

• 3D: Some other way entirely? If you have other ideas/preferences, let me know that as well, and maybe I'll be able to work them into one ideal solution.
  • 4A: If you want to track whether or not an egg was produced, do you only want to know that one was/wasn't?

4B: Or do you also want to know the breed and/or code?

• 5A: Do you want to have all of your recorded dragons showing at once? Depending on the choices for questions 2 and 3, this could quickly grow very long.

5B: Or would you rather be able to pull up each individual dragon's info as you need it, one at a time?

• 6+: Is there anything else a breeding tracker should have?
Please share your ideas and desires! I need to know what you would like to see, what you would find useful! The more details you give me, the better the resulting tracker will be.

I would like to see the gender of the dragon (1)

I would like option 2B

I would like option 3b

I would like option 4a

I would like option 5b

And i would also like to see a cool down timer if possible

For the breed tracker questions:

1) yes, I would.

2) 2C

3) 3B

4) 4B, the breed.

5) 5B

Definately a timer, like Panther788 said.

Breeding Checker Answers:

1) Yes

2) C

3) B

4) A & B

5) B

6) An option for simple results, to be able to just view when the dragon will be breedable next.

-egg spam removed- you need to go to the actual site and post your eggs/hatchlings there, not on this thread. Edited by rubyshoes

Just something I've noticed over the past few days- I'm one of those people who likes to click the little stars to clean things up, but there seems to be a "blank" hatchling in the ER section. Clicking on the star has no effect. I remember seeing something about these LONG ago on another fan site... just thought I'd toss a note up here to see if someone feels like scraping it loose on the code side of things smile.gif

Edit for picture: Big orange circle for the "invisible" hatchling. Also, HI NEGLECTED! Grats to THAT person!

user posted image

Edited by Erinalia

Breeding tracker votes

1: Do you want to see the gender of the adult you're tracking? Yes

2A: Do you want to see only a list of which mates refused?I wouldn't find this necessary

2B: Or a list of refusals, plus the current mate and the result of their latest breeding attempt? Again, no need for refusal lists but I would love to see the last mate+ last breeding result.

2C: Or do you want a list of all mates? I'm not sure I need a list of all mates since I usually breed with the same mates but I can see this as being useful.

3: If you want a list of all mates (2C), how should the result be shown?

3A: Only the most recent outcome with each mate? This seems to be the most useful

3B: Save all results, giving you a running list of each recorded breeding attempt?I could see the use for this as well but I am not sure I would ever use it.

3C: Or with a sliding scale where you work up to having an egg eventually?This doesn't seem as useful as the last result

For example: Attempt 1, you get no interest, so that result is saved. Attempt 2, they breed, but don't produce an egg. That is closer to an egg than no interest, so it overwrites the previous result. Attempt 3, they again show no interest, but since they bred once, this latest result is ignored in favor of Attempt 2's result. Attempt 4, they finally breed an egg, so that result is saved, and from now on, that's what those two dragons will show, since it has happened at least once.

3D: Some other way entirely? If you have other ideas/preferences, let me know that as well, and maybe I'll be able to work them into one ideal solution.

4A: If you want to track whether or not an egg was produced, do you only want to know that one was/wasn't?Not needed for me

4B: Or do you also want to know the breed and/or code?If it is listed I think the code or a link for the code would be most useful

5A: Do you want to have all of your recorded dragons showing at once? Depending on the choices for questions 2 and 3, this could quickly grow very long. I would rather have pages I think with the most recent mates first. Otherwise I might crash out my computer when it tries to load all of them.

5B: Or would you rather be able to pull up each individual dragon's info as you need it, one at a time?

6+: Is there anything else a breeding tracker should have?

For rares it might be cool to have a ratio for eggs. eg. I am breeding a silver x black... they've produced one silver, 3 blacks and had 4 breedings where nothing was produced. I think this might be useful when comparing the success of various mates to produce rares. ALso with things like black/vine/pebble/stone/neb/etc.. alt to non-alt ratios might be interesting. I am not sure if that is possible but I could see that as being interesting to people as well.

Ah'm in ur fansite, cleanin' ur daycarez. ninja.gif

I'm getting that blank space with a star as well, but not on every refresh and only among the ER hatchlings.

I have never gotten the star with nothing next to them in this site.

Anyone having trouble with getting onto the site? I was able to get on it a few hours ago and now I get this:

Not Found

The requested URL /NDER/ was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache Server at www.coup-detat.info Port 80

I think the site fell down and went boom. Was swapping dragons around on the lineage viewer and then nada.

edit: Must have been a hiccup, site is back for me now.

Edited by Dracaena

Fallen over for me now - I was using it earlier. But downforeveryone says it's just me - but all other sites are fine. I tried three browsers in case the power outages I'm getting had corrupted a cookie - nothing sad.gif

It's working fine for me.

edit: May be try clearing cookies, closing all browsers, turn off computer and turn it back on.

Edited by rubyshoes

It's working fine for me.

edit: May be try clearing cookies, closing all browsers, turn off computer and turn it back on.

(

But I did try three browsers....

ETA cleared and all - Oh rats - it still isn't - and the computer and router have been off all night And I cleared again.... sad.gif

ETA - OK - on firefox I get a black page. IN CHROME I now get:

Unable to load the webpage because the server sent no data.

and also

Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.

iE just says currently unavailable.

Any suggestions from anyone welcome.

Edited by fuzzbucket

I have the same probolem

Oh - well, not good - but at least it isn't some GHASTLY issue on my machine !

ETA well now - for variety - I am getting:

Connection closed by remote server

Yes I have contacted my ISP. They can't see anything yet but are trying.

Edited by fuzzbucket

I'm not dead! I promise!

Blank star in the ER: This is a known issue. The star has been popping in and out for quite a while now, I'm still not sure how, but it doesn't seem to be hurting anything. When I get a chance, I will find the problem and fix it, but it's pretty low priority.

Breed Tracker: Still very much in the plans, and very high priority (I need it for myself, whether or not anyone else uses it, so it will happen!), but also a significant project. I've been hoping to work on it once finals are over, but it's looking like some other RL stuff might be taking over on me... I'll still try to get it up as a Christmas present, but I don't know if that'll actually work.

Downtime problems: The site's host has been contacted, and as usual they claim there is nothing wrong, but we will continue pestering them. Meanwhile, if anything changes for any of you (if you can't access the site anymore but previously could, or if you were having trouble but now it works perfectly), please post to let us know!

Does that cover the main topics?

Good luck to all the students out there! We're almost done!

I was led to this topic (actually, this post, so I'm going to answer with my votes. If this is terribly outdated (the date seems to be almost exactly a year ago) then feel free to ignore me.

1: Do you want to see the gender of the adult you're tracking?

Yes, please. Even with different sprites in most breeds, it's still nice to have the gender listed.

2A: Do you want to see only a list of which mates refused?

2B: Or a list of refusals, plus the current mate and the result of their latest breeding attempt?

2C: Or do you want a list of all mates?

I would like a list of all mates. It'd be nice to see which mates refused, but I'd prefer seeing everything laid out.

3: If you want a list of all mates (2C), how should the result be shown?

3A: Only the most recent outcome with each mate?

3B: Save all results, giving you a running list of each recorded breeding attempt?

3C: Or with a sliding scale where you work up to having an egg eventually?

I like 3C of those three, though I think there might be a few who would like the others. I'd almost say have an option that lets you pick between the options, but if you're asking for an absolute vote, I vote 3C.

3D: Some other way entirely? If you have other ideas/preferences, let me know that as well, and maybe I'll be able to work them into one ideal solution.

I guess this is where I say a lot of the options are good, and you should do a multiple choice form for a breeder to fill out before showing the results. But I don't know how much coding would be involved in that, so I guess it's up to you how much time you want to put into it.

4A: If you want to track whether or not an egg was produced, do you only want to know that one was/wasn't?

4B: Or do you also want to know the breed and/or code?

If an egg wasn't produced, specify if it was a refusal or not. If an egg was produced, show the breed/link. That's my vote.

5A: Do you want to have all of your recorded dragons showing at once? Depending on the choices for questions 2 and 3, this could quickly grow very long.

Ugh. Forgot about that. Um... well, for me it'd be no problem, but for larger scrolls, you might give the option of showing only a specific lineage (and all dragons who have bred with dragons in this family), a certain breed, or portions of the scrolls instead of the entire thing. Or maybe even just one dragon at a time.

6+: Is there anything else a breeding tracker should have?

An option to just show dragons and how much time they have left before they can breed again. That's what I initially came for.

Okay, so that's my vote. Take it or leave it. smile.gif

Breed Tracker:  Still very much in the plans, and very high priority (I need it for myself, whether or not anyone else uses it, so it will happen!), but also a significant project.  I've been hoping to work on it once finals are over, but it's looking like some other RL stuff might be taking over on me...  I'll still try to get it up as a Christmas present, but I don't know if that'll actually work.

It would be great!!

Even if, it would be enough for me to have a method like the BSA tracker, that indicate when the week expired.

I have a complaint to make...why is the NDER in the url not case sensitive? My parents have web blockers that make it so they must approve sites i am on and for some reason the program won't accept a url with capitol letters. I'm pretty sure everything online is supposed to be case sensitive but whenever i type http://coup-detat.info/nder it doesn't work tongue.gif

I have a complaint to make...why is the NDER in the url not case sensitive? My parents have web blockers that make it so they must approve sites i am on and for some reason the program won't accept a url with capitol letters. I'm pretty sure everything online is supposed to be case sensitive but whenever i type http://coup-detat.info/nder it doesn't work tongue.gif

I think you mean case insensitive, first of all. Right now the URL is case sensitive, your parents' program needs it to be case insensitive.

As for why it's case sensitive -- the technical reason, the site is on a *nix server, and those are case sensitive. There is no rule that URLs must be lowercase, nor that they be case insensitive, though I agree, it's often easier when they are. When I first made the site, purely as an experiment, I wasn't even thinking about upper/lowercase issues. By the time it became an issue, everything was already linking to the uppercase version, so changing it to lowercase would have broken all those links. There is supposedly a way to work around that and allow both upper and lowercase to work, but it's not playing nicely right now.

In the meantime, your parents should be able to allow http://coup-detat.info and leave off the NDER part. Depending on how the program works, it may very well have exactly the same result anyhow. I'll keep fighting with the case sensitivity stuff, but that's an option until I get it working.

Just something I've noticed over the past few days- I'm one of those people who likes to click the little stars to clean things up, but there seems to be a "blank" hatchling in the ER section. Clicking on the star has no effect. I remember seeing something about these LONG ago on another fan site... just thought I'd toss a note up here to see if someone feels like scraping it loose on the code side of things smile.gif

Edit for picture: Big orange circle for the "invisible" hatchling. Also, HI NEGLECTED! Grats to THAT person!

user posted image

ive seen that too! any comments? ive clicked it ten times and its done nothing.