bbik

The Allure of Neglected Dragons

WARNING: This site is much busier during holiday events.

It will give your dragons many more views than usual, in a much shorter time.  Be careful that your dragons do not get sick, especially when they are less than a day old.

Just to spread this around a bit to try and help more people see it before it's too late.

ive seen that too! any comments? ive clicked it ten times and its done nothing.

The answer is a few posts above yours. smile.gif

Oh my goodness. Congratulations to whoever got that neglected!

I did see a blank hatchling a day or two ago myself, and I started clicking the star, to no avail. :C

I thought it was a AoND only bug though.

And thanks for the warning too, bbik!

Edited by Hoar

A question regarding manual removal: should we be removing hatchlings that are in the daycare's egg section, or will they get transferred over to the hatchlings section on their own? (I'm watching movies waiting on family and need something to do with my hands; may as well clean out the site of grown and fogged dragons.)

A question regarding manual removal: should we be removing hatchlings that are in the daycare's egg section, or will they get transferred over to the hatchlings section on their own? (I'm watching movies waiting on family and need something to do with my hands; may as well clean out the site of grown and fogged dragons.)

If you clean the daycare manually, hatchlings will be updated from the nest to the nursery. If you don't, the auto-cleaner will get to them within about half an hour anyhow (unless lag is extreme, then it might have trouble). So it's entirely up to you whether you want to help clean it sooner, or leave it to the auto-cleaner.

Ah, goodie. As I said, gives me something mildly constructive to do... thanks!

Have an oddity to report on the inbred checker. It doesn't like this dragon of mine, (VBrZp). The last couple of nights I have gotten "No inbreeding was found, but the check was incomplete (due to DC lag or downtime). Please try again to confirm the results." when I try. Tonight I also had a new egg (2D6Ld) with I think a more extensive lineage but the checker seems to work fine and tells me with full scan there are 22 dragons repeated in the lineage. So I am really scratching my head why it doesn't like (VBrZp) at any scan setting.

Have an oddity to report on the inbred checker.  It doesn't like this dragon of mine, (VBrZp).  The last couple of nights I have gotten "No inbreeding was found, but the check was incomplete (due to DC lag or downtime). Please try again to confirm the results." when I try.  Tonight I also had a new egg (2D6Ld) with I think a more extensive lineage but the checker seems to work fine and tells me with full scan there are 22 dragons repeated in the lineage.  So I am really scratching my head why it doesn't like (VBrZp) at any scan setting.

This is actually an API problem, more than a site problem. There may be a way to work around it, but I haven't come up with anything that would work, reliably.

The cause of the problem is how DC used to handle dead dragons -- the API still records a code for one of the Silver's deceased parents, and obviously that dragon doesn't exist, so when the inbred checker tries to get its info to see if it's inbred, it fails (and the non-existent fail should be differentiable from a lag-fail, but frustratingly, I'm pretty sure I've periodically had the non-existent error code from existing dragons when DC is very laggy). I can't remember off-hand if the check aborts right then, or continues with the rest of the lineage before returning the error. The best long-term solution, though, would be to PM/e-mail TJ about fixing the Silver's parent records.

Quick question - Would it be offensive if I put a custom static addition to the scroll stats square? Like this:

- Images moved to sig -

And if it's okay, do you mind sharing what font is used? xd.png

Edited by AlternateMew

Go for it. Though you'll lose the automatic updating with it saved somewhere else -- just in case you hadn't considered that yet.

It's some version of ProFont, but heck if I know which or from where, anymore. It very well may have come with the OS, or maybe found somewhere online? On a small scale like you have, anything monospace will probably look pretty similar.

Is there some special step I've missed in the three or four tries at making my sig/incu/banner? I've clicked on all the clickable things, chosen the colors, picked the type I wanted and then told it to Go Ahead, Make My Banner. Is there a place to go retrieve it now? How do I get it in my sig? Sorry for stoopishness.

Edited by oddsoxdi

Is there some special step I've missed in the three or four tries at making my sig/incu/banner? I've clicked on all the clickable things, chosen the colors, picked the type I wanted and then told it to Go Ahead, Make My Banner. Is there a place to go retrieve it now? How do I get it in my sig? Sorry for stoopishness.

Er.... It's supposed to just show up, though it can take several seconds if DC is laggy. But you're right, something's being very odd now. I haven't changed anything, though, so I'm not sure why. Perhaps the host is glitching? If it's still around by tomorrow, I'll try to make some time to look into what could be causing it.

In the meantime, grab the URL from someone else's signature for the size you'd like, and substitute your scroll name for theirs. You won't be able to choose colors, but at least it'll be a banner until this gets sorted out.

bbik! You're messenger is full!! I've tried to pm you about a question I have ^^

Edit: Derp! Just saw your sig message smile.gif

Edited by SilverDragonTears

Go for it. Though you'll lose the automatic updating with it saved somewhere else -- just in case you hadn't considered that yet.

It's some version of ProFont, but heck if I know which or from where, anymore. It very well may have come with the OS, or maybe found somewhere online? On a small scale like you have, anything monospace will probably look pretty similar.

Okay, thanks. And yeah, I know about the update. What I've got there is just a tacked-on image that looks connected. xd.png

Has something changed on the site? I am getting very annoying timed out messages (Your request timed out. Please retry the request.) on the action tracker pages. Once I find which dragon is available for the action, it does not even give me enough time to go to my scroll, find that dragon, and perform the action. By the time I get back to the action page and try to update it, it has timed out! I used to be able to influence or incubate several dragons at a time without hitting update and never had it time out until just the last few days. Now, as I said, I cannot even complete the action on one dragon. Is it me or is it the site? The browser I am using is Chrome, if that matters.

Edited by purplehaze

Has something changed on the site? I am getting very annoying timed out messages (Your request timed out. Please retry the request.) on the action tracker pages. Once I find which dragon is available for the action, it does not even give me enough time to go to my scroll, find that dragon, and perform the action. By the time I get back to the action page and try to update it, it has timed out! I used to be able to influence or incubate several dragons at a time without hitting update and never had it time out until just the last few days. Now, as I said, I cannot even complete the action on one dragon. Is it me or is it the site? The browser I am using is Chrome, if that matters.

Well, the host has had problems in the past, so it's not impossible that they're acting up again... But, I'm a bit confused by what you're saying, as well. I'll do what I can to answer what I think I get, but let me know if I'm off-base somewhere.

First, there's no need to go to your scroll and find the dragon -- the code on all of the tracker pages is a link directly to that dragon already, so if you see it's available, just click the code.

Second, what do you mean by "it doesn't give you time"? Once you've loaded the specific tracker's page, you have all the time in the world to go to the dragon's page, use the BSA, and come back and submit it to the tracker -- which will then load a new page (it looks the same, but for all intents and purposes, it's a new page) to confirm the update. If you saw the list of BSA dragons, there is no reason for there to be a time out on that page; it's already finished loading -- or at worst, it's still waiting for laggy dragon images to load, but that shouldn't affect the rest of the page in any way.

If the time out error message is a default browser error, chances are it's because of a connection problem somewhere, rather than a problem with AoND specifically. Perhaps the host isn't sending out the data like it's supposed to, perhaps your ISP is being too slow to forward it to you, perhaps a server somewhere along the way is down and causing problems. If it's some other sort of error, I have no idea, without more information.

Is that any help?

I can see why I confused you -- at least part of it. I don't use Chrome for my scroll, just for the fansites. So when I click and it takes me to the dragon's page I can't perform the action from there, because I am not logged in on that browser. I use Firefox for my scroll. Don't ask me why I use Chrome for the fansites. I remember there was a reason, but it has been a long time and I don't remember what it was.

And I don't mark off the dragons on the action tracker until after I go to my scroll and perform the action -- especially on the influence tracker because of wanting to enter the code of the egg I influenced. But when I come back, check off the dragon I used, paste in the code and hit the update button I get the timed out message (on a blank white page). It was especially bad earlier today, but the last one I did worked okay.

You may be right that it is a default browser error, but I have never encountered it before, even when the cave was super laggy. And there was no noticeable lag in the cave or the site or anything when I was getting that message. And it popped up immediately when I hit the update button.

*shrugs* I can live with it if it continues. It is just irritating.

Love the site and the trackers. I could never keep track of the BSAs without them.

I don't use Chrome for my scroll, just for the fansites.

Ah, ok. That makes a bit more sense. You should still be able to right click the link and copy/paste it into Firefox, but that's a minor preference thing, how you want to get to the dragon's page once you have the code.

And I don't mark off the dragons on the action tracker until after I go to my scroll and perform the action -- especially on the influence tracker because of wanting to enter the code of the egg I influenced. But when I come back, check off the dragon I used, paste in the code and hit the update button I get the timed out message (on a blank white page). It was especially bad earlier today, but the last one I did worked okay.

You may be right that it is a default browser error, but I have never encountered it before, even when the cave was super laggy. And there was no noticeable lag in the cave or the site or anything when I was getting that message. And it popped up immediately when I hit the update button.

I do it in exactly the same order, just in case I change my mind or get distracted halfway through, so the cooldown times stay accurate. So it definitely works that way. That aside, I'm still not sure why you're seeing the white page, but it doesn't surprise me that DC isn't lagging for you when it happens. If it's based on some middle server along the route, it's entirely possible DC uses a different route, so doesn't come across the problem. Plus, the trackers don't actually access DC at all, so any lag or lack thereof with the trackers is unrelated to the amount of lag on DC (aka the trackers should work even when DC is completely down -- not that it would do any good, since you can't use BSAs then).

It doesn't sound like this is a problem I can do anything about, but I do hope it gets/stays better for you! I know how much I hate it when websites don't work properly, even when I know it's not the site's fault.

Thanks for the info. I have more eggs to influence soon, so we will see if it is back to normal.

Excuse me if this has been brought up, but would it be possible to add a timer to the viewer? I try to stay on near the amount of time that it will 'roughly take to show each dragon once' but I lose track of time really easily. x3

It would be REALLY nice if - when you know your egg has hit 4 hours, and you updated, it immediately showed that ER box, instead of you having to go back to the add scroll button... I may be doing something wrong - but when I hit update - nothing actually changes except the images blink.gif Views, time remaining etc stay the same (i.e. out of date !!), and no ER boxes pop in.

I don't mean when the info itself is out of date and you have to start over - but I have the page running now - just loaded it, to ER one - and if I update - the view numbers won't change.

(yup - just did - and even tried a hard refresh after - all views stayed the same etc - but the hatchie has (FINALLY !!!!) gendered - and the gender box hasn't changed either... but the hatchie image is a gendered one.)

Edited by fuzzbucket

I could add some sort of timer, but I certainly won't be making any promises for it coming any time soon. I'd like to get the big major feature additions out first, before adding something small that can be worked around by just leaving the viewer open. I'm not against the idea, it's just not a priority right now.

I may be doing something wrong - but when I hit update - nothing actually changes except the images

The reason for that is because once AoND gets the information, it doesn't actually call DC again. (The images do, because they're actually on DC and there's no way around that, but the data is stored on-site otherwise.) It's a bit of a trade-off:

1. Call DC every time you load a dragon image (aka, when you check the scroll, update the scroll, re-update the scroll, whatever) -- and suffer more lag, because calling DC is slower than staying on-site

2. Call DC only at the start (aka when you check the scroll) -- and have speedy updates if all you want to do is come in and add/remove a dragon

With 1, you'll never have to go back to the start, and there will be no need for an "outdated, start over" message. But if DC is laggy, you may not be able to add dragons, either, if the scroll check makes it through but then it times out on the re-check when you try to update (This always drove me insane when it happened).

With 2, you'll be able to more quickly do the (I'm guessing) more common activities of adding/removing non-ER dragons, where precise stats are less important, and it's easier/faster to realize you missed part of the update and fix that at the same time, with only a message about being outdated once every hour, if you actually keep the tab open that long.

I felt that the single DC call at the start was the better method, and on the rarer occasions where it's not good enough, starting over is still an option. If people disagree, though, I can see about changing it.

Fair enough. I can live with that ! How long is it till it calls again (i.e. says the info is out of date ?)

It calls every time you start from scratch -- so if you want to check once, then again a minute later, go for it.

It says it's out of date if you leave the tab open and try to update more than an hour after submitting your scroll name.

I just discovered that if I add an egg to the ER, I can't remove it. I added one then thought I'd end up making it sick, but I couldn't remove it.