bbik

The Allure of Neglected Dragons

Apparently the Inbred Checker has some glitches...even when the generations are as low as 3rd/4th/5th

Default and Full settings will show a dragon as clean even when it is obviously inbred. Only the Recent setting showed dragons as inbred.

Blah. That's not supposed to happen. Codes?

Nevermind. Try now. I made a last-minute fix to the code for lineage inbred highlighting, and was too tired to realize it would also affect the inbred checker.

Edited by bbik

Blah. That's not supposed to happen. Codes?

Nevermind. Try now. I made a last-minute fix to the code for lineage inbred highlighting, and was too tired to realize it would also affect the inbred checker.

Retested, and the inbreds came back as inbred this time. biggrin.gif

To everyone:

Now that we've all had some time to adjust and settle, what is the preference for how to handle TJ's frame-busting? When I asked a group before updating the site, most (even several popup-haters) voted for the popup. When I asked in this thread just after updating the site, the overwhelming opinion was for new tabs. Have opinions shifted? Are they still evenly split? Does anyone else want to share their thoughts/preferences?

ER - *idiot asks silly question*

What is this frame-busting thing ?

What is this frame-busting thing ?

This whole fiasco, with giving clicks redirecting the entire page instead of just opening in the designated box on the fansites.

This...this is getting really annoying. I hate having to close extra windows so I pretty much don't click anything anymore.

Me, too.

I pretty much just give Views now.

I am having a lot of trouble trying to use the site this morning. I keep getting this message "Could not connect to the database. Please try again later." and this one "Sorry, something went wrong while preparing the dragons for display. Please refresh the page to try again." when I try to give views, remove eggs, or add my scroll. I guess I will try later as this is getting very frustrating. Is anyone else having trouble?

I am having a lot of trouble trying to use the site this morning. I keep getting this message "Could not connect to the database. Please try again later." and this one "Sorry, something went wrong while preparing the dragons for display. Please refresh the page to try again." when I try to give views, remove eggs, or add my scroll. I guess I will try later as this is getting very frustrating. Is anyone else having trouble?

In addition to your messages, I'm also getting 500 Internal Server Error messages, but the site eventually comes up when I refresh. It's just extremely slow this morning.

Actually (and unfortunately), I'm surprised this has taken so long to come up. There have been problems with the database server ever since the site upgrade, and we keep reporting them to the host, and getting told that "everything seems fine." And to be fair, some days it has been fine. Other days, it's been failing literally hundreds of times an hour, sometimes hundreds of times a minute. But it only happens periodically, so by the time the host gets around to checking, it's behaving again. I believe Agrona submitted another report to the host a couple days ago, after the database spent 2 or 3 uninterrupted hours falling on its face, but I'm not sure yet about the outcome.

In short, I'm all too aware of the problem, but it's at the host's end, so other than cross my fingers and hope they finally acknowledge and fix the problem, there's not much I can do about it. sad.gif

As to the Internal Server Errors, those are almost certainly from the host's end as well, and I have even less of an idea what would be causing them (or the slowness). Perhaps they're doing unannounced maintenance? I'll let you guys know, if/when I ever figure anything out.

Something weird happening. I click an egg/hatchling and it's view page opens in the provided spot. However, I'm also getting a popup with the message "Are you sure you wish to navigate away from this page?" Click OK and it takes you to the view page on DC. So I have to click Cancel every time to make the popup go away. Seems redundant, because the view page in the frame is already open and working, so why would I even need to get the popup?

Something weird happening. I click an egg/hatchling and it's view page opens in the provided spot. However, I'm also getting a popup with the message "Are you sure you wish to navigate away from this page?" Click OK and it takes you to the view page on DC. So I have to click Cancel every time to make the popup go away. Seems redundant, because the view page in the frame is already open and working, so why would I even need to get the popup?

It's been like that since TJ stupidly decided that the dragon pages aren't visible enough in their frames. The popup is obnoxious (still debating other/better ways; have another new idea, but don't have time to try it right now), but unfortunately, not redundant. Without it, clicking a dragon will cause it to load in the frame, and then take over the whole tab, just like if you click ok on the popup. The popup allows you to prevent it from taking over the tab by offering the cancel option.

You're welcome to try and convince TJ to roll back his frame-breaking change, though. Especially since the reason he gave, if it is in fact the real reason, seems to be backfiring more than it's helping. The frame-breaking is causing people to mass-open and mass-close tabs without even looking at them, now. Which makes them considerably less visible than having them displayed in a "hard to find" iframe in the currently-focused fansite tab, I should think.

The banner making thing you have keeps telling me "there is a problem trying to connect to the sever" and various things like that... the images for them too also say that and have lost the custom colors I picked (except my avi seems to have just lost the custom colors...)

the one on my website can be a better example.

I have finally managed to make progress on the database errors. Our problem is currently being worked on, not sure how long it will take to get it fixed. But at least now the host sees, recognizes and is working on the problem.

Looks like the host is being problematic. rolleyes.gif Even I got the error about an hour ago/had custom colors missing. Better now, though. For me at least.

I hope you get every thing fixed with the host soon.

Can't find the neglected experiment thread. I have some "On death's door eggs" Feel free to toss those into other ERS.

Three hatched, 1 dead.

No neglecteds. I'll never get one.

Edited by skyie

Can't find the neglected experiment thread. I have some "On death's door eggs" Feel free to toss those into other ERS.

Three hatched, 1 dead.

No neglecteds. I'll never get one.

Come by the chat for some help. maybe you just need a few tips to succeed.

I'm not going to double post, but the lineage viewer doesn't seem to handle 13 gens well:

http://www.coup-detat.info/NDER/Lineage.ph...en=13&mate=FFBW

It looks fine until it gets to the magis, then it seems to be putting in the rest of the lineage beyond 13 gens.

Edited by Wookieinmashoo

After running into space issues on my own signature I have created a second button/banner for this site that everyone is welcome to use:

user posted image

Enjoy!

TJ removed th iframes restriction last night and I can click again, biggrin.gif but when I try to close the window I get the :

"DC is messing with you pop-up"

and have to click OK before that page will close--- blink.gif

Just to mention, I've still been asked if I'm sure I want to leave the page several times in the course of clicking one hatchery Viewer page.

Not that that's a big deal comparatively speaking, lol, since now I can Click through a page...

Edit: thanks, bbik, you are truly The Best!

(And one correction where the sentence tense was changed, but a word had been left relaxed, lol.)

Edited by Syphoneira

I'm still been asked if I'm sure I want to leave the page several times in the course of clicking one hatchery Viewer page.

It was a very fast update, but the popups *should* have stopped early this afternoon. You might have to hard refresh (Ctrl+F5) a time or three for it to take effect, though.

Beyond that, I finally have my new laptop up and running, aside from a few quirks. So once I get those sorted out and get caught up, I'll get back to fixing/improving/updating AoND. The long-awaited breeding tracker is still at the top of the list; hopefully I'll have that ready before the end of the semester, but we'll have to see what else comes up.