Rorschach

Tattoos

I'm lucky enough to be training to be a body piercer, so after spending a lot of time in a tattoo parlour, I have a few tattoo's of my own already.

On my left calf I have some dead snapdragons (if you've seen them when they die, they look beautifully like skulls)

On my right bicep I have a small Sally and Zero (from Nightmare Before Christmas) It needs Jack adding in, but I'm hoping to have a Tim Burton inspired section on that part of my arm, or perhaps the entire sleeve.

On my shoulder, I have a fallen angel with the latin text "a gratia excidistis" which apparantly means "Fallen From Grace"

But, as I don't know Latin, I guess I can't really be sure it doesn't say something entirely different. xd.png

That's it for now, But I'm hoping to get many more soon. wink.gif

Been wanting to get my second pair of tats for a while. Finally, about a year after my first pair and needing something good right now, I got my second pair today. It's a yucca moth and yucca flower on my chest up near my shoulders. They're to match the first set I got - a sunflower and bee on the front of my hips. ^^

I plan to have a five-scratch tattoo on my right forearm. Our pet dog plays rough and he left me with that neat set. Once it's fully healed I may have the scars enhanced to stand out more, I think it'd be a pretty neat sight.

i do want a tattoo but i dont know which to get..... im also afriad of the tattoo artist mucking up the picture once i find one i like......... does getting a tattoo hurt much?

i do want a tattoo but i dont know which to get..... im also afriad of the tattoo artist mucking up the picture once i find one i like......... does getting a tattoo hurt much?

It depends on the location of the body. Some areas are more tender then others. The one I got on my arm, nothing ... didn't bother me ... just got irritated after a while. The one on my calf I thought I was going to destroy that tattoo table.

If you really want a tattoo, decide what you want, where you want and then think about it ... for a while, like six months at least. Do not walk into a tattoo place, look at the pictures on the wall and just say, gimmie that one. Tattoos are permanent. Make sure the one(s) you get have a meaning and a personal connection. That way, ten to fifteen years down the road, after it has faded and settled in, it will always be beautiful because there is a personal connection with it instead of something done on a whim as a fad.

It depends on the location of the body. Some areas are more tender then others. The one I got on my arm, nothing ... didn't bother me ... just got irritated after a while. The one on my calf I thought I was going to destroy that tattoo table.

If you really want a tattoo, decide what you want, where you want and then think about it ... for a while, like six months at least. Do not walk into a tattoo place, look at the pictures on the wall and just say, gimmie that one. Tattoos are permanent. Make sure the one(s) you get have a meaning and a personal connection. That way, ten to fifteen years down the road, after it has faded and settled in, it will always be beautiful because there is a personal connection with it instead of something done on a whim as a fad.

It also depends on your own pain tolerance level. I was internally laughing the other day on the chair because the tattoo artist who was working on me said she hadn't been brave enough yet to try getting a tattoo in the place where I got my first tattoos. x3

But my tattoo artist was talking about getting this question about pain from a lot of people, and as she says: there's always some level of pain/discomfort in getting a tattoo just because of how they're done, but it's hard to describe it. Mostly, you can compare how bad different places are too each other. Really bony places (like your foot, for example) are going to hurt more.

I have to disagree with getting a meaningful tattoo, though. My mom has a cute baby bear on her hip. It's one she got by picking one of the stock options the parlor offered. It's had to have been... three or four decades now and she doesn't regret it at all. Still thinks it's adorable.

My sister's first tattoo was carefully crafted by her own hand to get the meaning she wanted, but her second was a sale the parlor was offering where between certain hours, the artists were offering to do a small stock option tattoo for just $20. My sister really wanted another tat and that price is unbeatable. She chose a small little stock bird on a branch that's very cute to put on her hip. It doesn't have the meaning her first one does, but it's still very cute and fitting for her. She likes it, and that's what matters.

My roommate has a griffin that was a stock option on her lower back. It was something she did with a group of friends when they were out having fun. It was done on a whim and in the rush of adrenaline of a bunch of friends running around not fully knowing what they're doing. Even though it's not personal, she does like griffins and she loves having one tattoo'd on her. And she's had it for about a decade now.

I didn't get any tattoos for a long time because I really wanted to have a very meaningful tat with a personal connection. That's how I ended up not getting any tattoos for so long. Having it be so meaningful really put the pressure on. I felt like I had nothing in my life that was really, super meaningful - and even more than that, I couldn't figure out how to best represent any of the things I could think of that were meaningful to me. I finally decided to give up on that and leave it for when something more meaningful pops out at me, and I just went with things I liked (such as flowers from my home state and corresponding insects that go with them). And I love how they turned out!

So I don't think a tattoo has to be personal or have some deep meaning. I think it just needs to be something you like and want, whether it's your own design, something you request, or even a stock option. What you like and what you want is really going to depend on you yourself and how you feel. =)

And zorua, tattoo artists are professionals. They're not likely to mess up your design. Just make sure you're communicating with them what you want and where. It's your body, it's good to be specific. It is a good idea to both look through their personal design books (to get an idea of their art style) and reviews of the parlor to make sure that they follow standards and tattoo with proper equipment. Probably plenty of places have some place like a facebook, website, yelp, etc., so you can check out what others who have worked with the artists think of their tattoos. That way you can make sure the place you pick is a good fit for you. =)

I plan to have a five-scratch tattoo on my right forearm. Our pet dog plays rough and he left me with that neat set. Once it's fully healed I may have the scars enhanced to stand out more, I think it'd be a pretty neat sight.

Oooh, that sounds really cool! I don't care how long it takes, if you're still around here when you get this done, I would love to see a picture. =o

i do want to get some tattoos but honestly, it seems too costly and a big commitment because it's there and you can't just wash it off with water. Also it hurts a lot, and I know that depends on where you get it but... i dont think the cost will be too bad (im really good with money) it's just I'm also afraid

I found this really cool website which has temporary tattoos but they look like real ones. It helps with deciding where you want it, and even if you want one at all. https://www.momentaryink.com/ i will definitely be using this.

I'm going in for tattoo number 5 next week, after having already waited a month for a slot. .-.

well, technically it's my fourth, but I had my cheshire cat revamped a while back, and also got some playing cards featuring the red and white queens happy.gif

I think with the pain associated with getting tattoo's - it really depends on your personal pain tolerance, and also - how you deal with pain.

My playing card tattoo's hurt the most so far, and that was on the underside of my forearm but it still wasn't too bad, I tend to say "ow" a lot but just laugh through it xd.png

Though I have heard a story once about a man who projectile vomited all over the tattooist before passing out... I don't mean to frighten you out of getting a tattoo, I'm just being honest.

But the general idea is - tattoo's closer to the bone, or on muscle, would hurt more than tattoo's on more "fatty" areas, like the top of your forearm, as opposed to under your forearm, ect.

Plus, you could always ask your tattooist if they would be willing to let you do a little "pain tolerance" test - ask them if they would be willing to do a few strokes with just water, and not ink. That way you can get a feel for the pain.

A decent tattooist won't object to you chickening out. I did so twice before I got my first one. (I didn't get a pain tolerance test the first 2 times though xd.png)

Also, in regards to your design - whilst yes, it's ok to go in and take a look at designs on the wall, and choose from them, it is always much nicer and more personal to come up with a design on your own. If you can't draw, simply explain to your tattoo artist what you want, and they will come up with something for you.

Just remember, for the most part, tattoo's are for life.

Even after tattoo removal, you can still be left with a hefty scar. So if it's your first one:

1. be absolutely, positively 100% sure on your design.

2. think about possibly getting it somewhere it is easily covered (I tended to wear a lot of long sleeves when I got mine on my forearm, but now I have tattoo's I love them and tend to show them off more xd.png)

3. don't worry about it at all! Don't be anxious about what people think about your tattoo's. If you like them, then that's all that counts. It's your body, so don't be shamed by your ink!

And also, another final tip:

Once you find a good tattoo artist (which I hope for many of you, comes as your first) I'd reccomend sticking with them if you're going for a "sleeve" piece, as some don't like working on another tattooists work. If you're going for seperate, individual pieces, it would be ok, but if you plan to merge them into a sleeve, it's best to stick with the one artist, imo.

After all, hypothetically speaking, if you were Monet, you wouldn't like if Van Gogh come along and add his twist to your work very much, would you?

Plus, if you stick with the one artist, they will be able to see the vision of the finished sleeve clearer, and can be more helpful in designing the next pieces, ect.

Wow that was a long post o.o

Edited by Trickseh

i do want to get some tattoos but honestly, it seems too costly and a big commitment because it's there and you can't just wash it off with water. Also it hurts a lot, and I know that depends on where you get it but... i dont think the cost will be too bad (im really good with money) it's just I'm also afraid

If you're worried about price, go small and without color or without much color.

My first tats (the sunflower and bee, just black outline and black shading) cost me $100 + tip and my second tats (yucca flower and yucca moth black outline with black and white shading) cost me $180 + tip. Which, yes, is still a bit out of pocket, but as I was leaving the parlor yesterday, there was a girl there planning to get a horseshoe much smaller than all my tats, so I'd guess her price was maybe $40 - $50 + tip. Stock options offered by the parlor might also be a bit cheaper.

Plus, getting something small would be a good way to test your tolerance of the pain and I doubt a small tat would bother you that much if you decided you didn't like it that much (plus it would be easier to expand on it later if you'd like it more that way). o3o

I am planning on getting my next one. I know what I want ( mostly ) and I think I know where I want it.

Been wanting to get my second pair of tats for a while. Finally, about a year after my first pair and needing something good right now, I got my second pair today. It's a yucca moth and yucca flower on my chest up near my shoulders. They're to match the first set I got - a sunflower and bee on the front of my hips. ^^

So the sunflower and bee are just black with black shading (I had originally planned on getting them colored yellow, but I actually really like them as is), but the artist offered to do the yucca moth and yucca flower in black and white shading. There was some post on tumblr going around a while ago about how not a lot of people got white tattoos but they can look really good, and I've been interested in a white tat since seeing that post. I was worried about how pale my skin is, but the artist asked, and I just couldn't say no. Now that I have a clean bandage on (I've got the new saniderm/dermalize kind), I can actually see how the white turned out. I really like it! The flower in particular looks great.

I actually really like both my flowers. Flowers are just great to get tattoo'd. They look wonderful. =o

I am planning on getting my next one. I know what I want ( mostly ) and I think I know where I want it.

Well, what do you want? =o

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

So the sunflower and bee are just black with black shading (I had originally planned on getting them colored yellow, but I actually really like them as is), but the artist offered to do the yucca moth and yucca flower in black and white shading. There was some post on tumblr going around a while ago about how not a lot of people got white tattoos but they can look really good, and I've been interested in a white tat since seeing that post. I was worried about how pale my skin is, but the artist asked, and I just couldn't say no. Now that I have a clean bandage on (I've got the new sanaderm/dermalize kind), I can actually see how the white turned out. I really like it! The flower in particular looks great.

I actually really like both my flowers. Flowers are just great to get tattoo'd. They look wonderful. =o

Well, what do you want? =o

Can we see please! It sounds so pretty. <3

(we is mostly me but I am sure other people want to see too tongue.gif)

It would be a remembrance tattoo.

It will be of a dog sitting next to an ox. The two animals will be tribal. The front paw of the dog and front hoof of the ox will cross, so that each animals "foot" is in the others instep.

I have no tattoos so far, but I've been thinking about getting one for a while.

I know it would definitely be a tortoise. smile.gif I've loved tortoises for all my life (that I can remember at least), and I'm quite sure I won't stop loving them.

I don't know what style I'd want it to be though. Stylized or realistic (or something in between)? Seen from the top (probably the easiest to design) or from the side?

And I used to think I'd only want b/w tattoos, but I've seen beautiful colored tattoos, too, so I'm not sure about that either.

And I also don't know 100% sure yet where I'd want it to be. Probably on my upper arm though. There I can see it, and it will also be "right side up" most of the time. (Tortoises don't like being upside down!)

I guess I should talk to my sister; she's got lots of tattoos. ^^

(She got the first one when she wasn't even 18, she made me write a letter that was supposed to be from our mother allowing her to get a tattoo. Me being only two years older than her, of course my handwriting didn't look very "adult" either. The tattoo artist said "aha, faked" and did it anyway. tongue.gif )

Turning 18 in February and I'm finally going to be getting my first tattoo! I'll be getting my cat's paw print on the left side of my chest. I've been planning this tattoo since I was 12 so I'm very excited to get it done. wub.gif

Can we see please! It sounds so pretty. <3

(we is mostly me but I am sure other people want to see too tongue.gif)

I'd love to! They look a bit dirty with the bandages on, though, so I wanna wait a few days until I can take the saniderm off. o3o

I have the Eye of Ra on my left shoulder. Sometime next year I want to get an Arabian horse outline to symbolize my first horse (the one in my avatar)

You put bandages on a new tattoo o.O

when I get a new tattoo it's wrapped in cellophane wrap for 3 days, and then nothing, i just keep putting cream on it (there's this cream in the uk called bepanthem or something like that and its really good to use, it's actually a nappy rash cream tho)

but.. if you put like.. fabric sort of bandages on, wouldn't that just soak up the ink and make it really faded...or so I was told anyway =P

Anyway, I got my newest a couple days ago, It's Alice (alice in wonderland) with an ornate frame thing around her happy.gif

I have finally decided to get my fourth tattoo! I'm in the middle of designing it; I know what it's gonna be. The Beatles have been my favorite band since I was 8 years old, and I've never been able to decide what to get without being basic and getting "Let it Be" on my wrist or "All you need is love" with a heart. I thought about getting this tat 2 years ago, but Bowie died and I decided to get my Bowie tat instead. 

So far I know it's going to be the outline of the Apple "logo" filled in with a watercolor rainbow. I also want script with it, but I can't really decide which lyric to get. I really want something trippy. I was thinking about a lyric from "It's All too Much" or something else from the Yellow Submarine/Magical Mystery Tour soundtrack. Something upbeat and positive. Something that makes sense with the piece. If anyone else is a Beatles fan, and you wanna PM me and help me decide, that would be wonderful. XD 

I'd probably be too scared to get a tattoo on my body (given my fear of needles), but if I had to get one I'd probably want one of some country flags, or of a nice flower, probably a bluebell.

I got my first tattoo just last week! I'm really happy with it. :D 

I thought I'd have more of a problem with the needle because I really hate getting shots, but it was different enough from, like, syringe type needles that it wasn't bad.

5a6619bc42bd9_harpoon5.thumb.jpg.f41d86b51fd07d1ef22d7dc41bdd771e.jpg

Question to all you tattoo enthusiasts:

How do you start looking for a place? Do you kind of browse what's nearby online and take a look? I've been thinking of getting something simple like a small filled-in star (that doesn't seem like it should matter who does it, since there's no room for "art style"), but I have no idea where to start or what to choose.

On 22/01/2018 at 12:06 PM, Stromboli said:

I got my first tattoo just last week! I'm really happy with it. :D 

I thought I'd have more of a problem with the needle because I really hate getting shots, but it was different enough from, like, syringe type needles that it wasn't bad.

5a6619bc42bd9_harpoon5.thumb.jpg.f41d86b51fd07d1ef22d7dc41bdd771e.jpg

I have a pair of replica whaling harpoons at home. I really dig this design.

My tattoo should be refreshed, its a Decepticon Insignia. (Go figure) on the front of the left shoulder.

17 hours ago, TehUltimateMage said:

Question to all you tattoo enthusiasts:

How do you start looking for a place? Do you kind of browse what's nearby online and take a look? I've been thinking of getting something simple like a small filled-in star (that doesn't seem like it should matter who does it, since there's no room for "art style"), but I have no idea where to start or what to choose.

I've only done this the one time, but this was my process:

- Ask people I know with tattoos about their experience and if they knew any artists/what they thought of them

- Check online reviews

- - Look for places that are clean first and foremost

- - Look for places with plenty of reviews

- - - Once you've found someone with a good rating from plenty of reviews, also read their bad reviews for any warning signs. Like, if a lot of people are saying the same bad things, that might be something to watch out for.

- Check studios portfolios (this might be less of a thing for you, since your design is small and simple, but finding an artist with work you like will still be good to start a relationship with if you ever do want bigger/more complex tattoos)

- Email the top choice to set up a consultation (I used this guide for Do's and Don't's of emailing a tattoo artist, my artist was very appreciative)

- - Visit the shop, talk with the artist, make sure the place is clean

- If everything checks out, make your appointment to get the tattoo done. If not, talk to the next shop on the list until you find someone you're comfortable with.

People with more experience will probably have more informed opinions, but this was what my brother (who's got a couple tattoos) recommended me to do.

I don't have any tattoos yet, but I think I might get one in a few years. Probably a small, blue watercolor butterfly on the inside of my wrist. My mom's nickname for me when I was little was "butterfly" because I kind of was a social butterfly. It was hard to push myself to move past my social anxiety and depression, but I'm a completely different person now. I actually talk to people and feel comfortable in my own skin most days. I feel like it would be a nice reminder of what I overcame in the past and the beauty of the future.

The only problem is that I despise needles XD