Rorschach

Tattoos

No tattoos here . I'll stick with the piercings.

Any design I'd have picked 10 years ago I wouldn't want now and I doubt I'd want what I'd have now in 10 years time either.

Have two actually with plans for two more. One is just a stupid little mouse outline, more often than not i forget i have it (theres a story behind it).

The second: is a classic tiger cub flash that the artist personalized for me with a ribbon between its paws that has my kids names on it. Im rather proud of that one (and it has a story too tongue.gif)

To answer a few things i saw within the last two pages:

Yes tattoos hurt, but its a different hurt than you might think. Depending on the location it can be a simple annoying tickle or paper cut sensation or it can actually hurt. My tiger was a bit annoying/painful but didnt actually /hurt/. I opted for bloodlines and when they got back to the point of coloring it, that tingled. I decided I dont like white ink that day tongue.gif

user posted image

that pic was taken with a cell phone a few days after i did it. Its not what i went in to get tattood, but the kids played a huge part in that one. Daughter inssited it needed blue eyes like hers, son insisted i should have a tiger. Im happy with it, I giggle every time i look down and see it. Its not likely to change much in the spot i put it.

Edited by Thuban

I don't know how often Moeru checks this thread...but I would just like to say that if in fact that's the shop you work at: that is fantastic work >.> if I could ever have the money to fly to Japan and get tattoo work done, I'd be at that shop in a heartbeat.

But, in regards to the topic at hand, I have 4 so far (and plans for more at some point in the future).

I don't know how often Moeru checks this thread...but I would just like to say that if in fact that's the shop you work at: that is fantastic work >.> if I could ever have the money to fly to Japan and get tattoo work done, I'd be at that shop in a heartbeat.

But, in regards to the topic at hand, I have 4 so far (and plans for more at some point in the future).

Heyy! Since I recall you being local, where did you get yours done at? I'm just wondering if I choose to get one in the next couple years before I move away. biggrin.gif

Tattoos look good on some people, but I don't think I am one of them. I also don't like how it's permanent (unless you laser it off) and I don't like piercing and stuff at all. My math teacher has at least 2, one on the back of his neck, and one on his (bicep?) area.

Tattoos shouldn't be about how they look on you, but I will agree that some people do wear them a bit better than others. My personal opinion (not that it really matters much) is that they should be something you do for yourself that means something to you >.> and that can make all the difference in how you wear it.

As for permanence, it's really hard to figure out what would be something that you'll still be proud of when you're 60, and the way to still be happy with them when you've matured and changed that much from when you first get it (in most cases. I know some folks might not get their first tattoo until they're at least 30 or 40 lol). That's why people need to put a lot of thought into them, and be able to say to themselves, "Even if this doesn't hold the same meaning in 30 years, I will be able to look back on it and see how much I've grown."

But, I can totally see how some people wouldn't be into that, which is totally cool as well. I appreciate people who can say it's something they don't want because of it's permanence, because that means they know that in 5, 10, 20 years they might hate it, feel like it was a stupid/rash decision, etc.

Heyyyy hello there! I work at RYUJI TATTOO DESIGN in Nagoya.

This is the last tattoo I did recently-- on my coworker. ;D user posted image

I am planning to get a snake on my upper left arm and chest (sort of a half sleeve/chest piece) done by my boss. I've been thinking about it for a year and still want it, so I think it's meant to be. I just have to see when he's not too busy.

I got mine done at Ink Revolutions, by Summer Hamrick smile.gif

I warn you though, they book a few weeks-months in advance. And they don't have all that 'flash' you find in most places; theirs is all custom work as far as I can tell.

But yeah...Summer's done 3 out of my 4

Here's their site, with directions and examples of their work.

Yeah that's like 10 minutes from me, pass it almost every day. That's where I've always thought I would go based on the site, it seems like a nice place and the work I've seen come out of there is fabulous. biggrin.gif

@ Moeru: I...kind of hate you for that whole post lol. "Why would a complete stranger hate me for a post on a dragon collecting site?" you might be wondering to yourself, which would be a legitimate question to oneself. Here's why:

1. You are a tattoo artist, which is something I've always wanted to be but I have neither the artistic talent, nor the funds for an apprenticeship.

2. You are a tattoo artist in NAGOYA, JAPAN. A city that lies in a country that I find absolutely fascinating and have always wanted to see in person.

and finally

3. You have access to your boss, who, my experience has taught me in regards to tattoo shops, is probably AMAZEBALLS (and I don't even like that word, so that should tell you how intense that thought is lol), considering how good you appear to be, to do work on you.

In short, you're awesome, and I'm jealous. So you suck. smile.gif

Edited by auria

Ahhh okay your anguish is very understandable. hahaha

Well this apprenticeship I acquired kind of by chance. I took it over from a girl who had approached Ryuji with "If you teach me tattooing, I'll teach you English" and he agreed to this. However, she wasn't really into tattooing and didn't like drawing all that much. In essence she was paid in free tattoo work.

So I took over her one-day-a-week position and since I WAS an art major, when I asked to get some tattooing instruction, my boss realized there might be some value to me after all (besides getting English out of me) and said I could sit at the desk if I like, and I should go find some customers.

It's a very... non traditional apprenticeship. I also have a 5-days-a-week job that pays the bills.

Japan is also a pretty glorious country with a whole huge host of societal problems, but I am still not planning on leaving any time soon so I must not be too irritated at it.

And I really do need to get on having Ryuji tattoo me in case *something* happens... what if he or I get hit by a bus... I gotta stop wasting time! D:

If you ever make it out here to Japan, look me up and I'll get you some good ink :3

See, I almost had a vaguely similar set-up with a shop here in TN, where I'd work the front desk and do some promotional stuff, help around the shop, and minor manger-type stuff (I'm a business management major) since the owner's super busy all the time and I'd get the tattoo training out of it; however, they went on to find someone else to answer the phones, schedule appointments, help out, etc. and I kinda got screwed.

And yeah...I don't know how likely it is that either of you will be hit by a bus, but it's a good point nonetheless since you never know what might happen. I will definitely let you know if I get a chance to head out there, and I will most definitely take you up on the ink :3

This is the last tattoo I did recently-- on my coworker. ;D

A Triffid?

Not sure what a Triffid is, but I think the tattoo is a chrysanthemum >.>

I've always doodled around to find some ideas for my future ones that I want done... My faith is very important to me, so most of the ideas I have come from that. I've thought about getting "Agape" in stylized Greek lettering as a chest piece (something like this, just bigger, less flowy, etc) but that's a little overdone. I've thought about getting "I will never be silenced" around the Bible reference for Jesus' Great Commission. So many ideas running around in my head that I'd love to get. Then one of my friends got a German eagle on his shoulder (seen here) and I'm like... DANG. I'd love something like that too.

Based on your description, it gives me an image of one of those eagles, with a cross stylized into the crown where I can see a bit of a design already. Then move the banner from around the crown to in the eagle's claws and have it say "My Lord sustains me" or something like that.

But that's just an idea lol.

Wow, some of these are really detailed!

I've got an infinity symbol on my right shoulder and that's it. I love it, though, and I'm thinking of adding to it or getting another. Not sure yet.

Edit: for those worried about pain, I was really surprised when I got mine. It wasn't painful, more like a sort of warm buzzing sensation. I nearly fell asleep in the chair, I was so relaxed. I think it hurts more or less depending on the part of the body you get the tat on.

Edited by inlaterdays

I will testify to the pain difference. My chest piece wasn't nearly as bad as my foot, and my hip was almost painless. My ribs were about the same as my chest, which wasn't bad, but was a tad uncomfortable. It also varies person to person >.>

I'm too neurotic for tattoos. I'd be too afraid of getting something I'd hate later down the road, and I'd also be terrified that the equipment wasn't sterile, even if I saw the artist sterilize it. And I'm the kind of baby who'd be flinching before the needle even touched my arm. xd.png So, no tattoos for me. Also, unless placed very strategically it would really put a limit on what I could wear. I intend to be a teacher, so showing tattoos at work wouldn't go over well. I know they can be covered with clothes, but I'd rather just not have to think about it.

I don't know... I also think that they have a lot of potential to look very tacky. I have an uncle who has both his arms almost completely covered in tattoos, and I just don't think it looks very nice. In general I haven't liked the way most of the tattoos I've seen on people looked. Though, it could be that I just haven't seen anyone with tattoos from a good artist. *shrugs*

I guess they're just not my thing. I also have pretty sensitive skin, and with my luck I'd end up having some sort of reaction to the tattoo.

I would like a tattoo on my arm one day...preferably one I designed biggrin.gif

I have a thing about tattoos. I put them on so many of my characters. Kyzaro is just one example of a character with one.

I just got my first tattoo yesterday. Lemme tell you what. That outline needle? It sucks. Terribly. Doesn't help I got my tattoo on my shoulder, either.

I had my tattoo done at Studio 819 by PeeDee. He's awesome, and the best in Cookeville, TN.

Anyway. Here's my tattoo :

user posted image

Ah you're from Cookeville? Awesome! I know quite a few people at TTU.

I like the tat! What's the significance?

I would love a tatoo, they look really great on some people.

But I haven't got the faintest clue what to get tatooed. I could go and just choose something pretty, but I don't think I would keep finding it pretty for the rest of my life if it didn't have a personal meaning to me.

I'm going to wait patiently, maybe inspiration will strike one day, then I'll go and get it.

Finally got my first set of tattoos a few months ago. Too bad I got it in one of the most painful places possible.

user posted image

Its not only based on one of my favorite video games, but it has meaning in my life. I'm hoping to get my next one near Christmas.

@god.ofthedead: some people do not understand why others get tattoos. It is writing a note of important events in your life on your skin in permanent ink in a language only you can understand.

" getting my tattoos hurt as much or as little as the events that lead to me getting them"

I am pregnant, and unable to get a tattoo right now. After my son is born, I'm thinking about putting his name somewhere. Not sure what I would add to it ^^

I've always been interested in tattoos, despite my parents saying I'll heavily regret it later on if I do take one. When I'm old and everything starts to sag, you know? Haha

What I want as a tattoo needs a bit of an explanation. I want a tattoo of a brand from the Branded people from the Fire Emblem series. I don't know why, but that game had a big impact on my life (Due it I met amazing people online, etc) and it saved me from a big depression back then. So I want to keep those times forever with me, because I'm so thankful of it.

The Branded are people who have Human blood and the blood of a certain creature. In my case, that would be blood of the dragon. Those people get a mark somewhere on their skin as proof of their mixed blood. It's considered a really bad sin to have mixed blood in the game itself, but in reality it isn't.

So yeah, for some reason I want the Dragon brand as a tattoo someday. It looks like a tribalish mark, maybe in the shape to represent your creature, but I have yet to make a design for it...