Rorschach

Tattoos

I like having ideas for them but I usually just draw on my hands... I'm scared of the pain xd.png

Yes, I have ideas and designs, but I don't want to get tattoos... I might get one when I'm older (*might*) but I'll stick to drawing over skin everyday for now tongue.gif

I have Four Tattoos i love them biggrin.gif and I got my first tattoo when i was 40 and past my driving test.. so you never to old to start anything laugh.gif

I'm thinking of getting one when I move out of my parent's house. It's gonna be bracelet like with notes from Hedwig's theme biggrin.gif That's one of the rare things for which I'm sure I will love forever.

I'm bit afraid of the pain, though.

Edited by PointOfOrigin

Next year I'm turning sixteen and as a present my sister is taking me to the guy who did her tattoo so that I can get one too

I got my first tattoo for my 16th birthday a few months ago and I already can't wait to get more. The tattoo I got is a small bass clef behind my ear and I can honestly say it didn't hurt at all, although it only took about 15 minutes, so a larger tattoo will probably be a different story. Still can't wait for more though smile.gif

I want to get a tattoo so bad. I'm thinking of an Aquarius sign and a dragon along with it, but I don't know how to incorporate both of those into an actual design haha. I do know that I either want it on my ankle or the backside of my shoulder.

Right Foot

Right Ankle- Not exactly pleased with the quality of this one. Which is unfortunate, as the artist's usual work is quite nice.

Left Foot

Left Ankle

My feet together, about a hour after getting the blue jay.

My feet, by far, hurt the most. My ankles hurt the most after, but I think that is due to my red ink sensitivity and the fact that the artist went pretty deep with the needle. You can't really tell from the pictures, but the ankle tattoos were done too deep. Some ink hit fat, and it blurred some areas. :/

My right ankle also took forever to heal. The guy that did it used a different red ink than I'm used to, and the reaction made healing a challenge.

My son has tattoos.

A word of advice ... depending on what job you want, do not have your tatoo where it can be seen.

I have four right now, planning on getting a few more. So far I have a sun, moon, little brothers name, and a set or wings.

I am not interested in getting a tattoo. Ever.

But i enjoy looking at other peoples and seeing a variety of styles and colors for each person. Its definitely an art form

i turn 18 in three months and will begin accumulating the tattoos that i have been planning, constantly doodling, and wanting so badly for the last five years. i have made maps and drawings of all that i want, and i am currently planning on at least seven. i won't be doing any in obvious places, however, because i plan on going into the field of psychology and i would rather not terrify my patients more than i must. c;

as for what i am currently planning on getting: artwork from the wall in wraparounds on my biceps, the frightened ones and the scream. a bat with its wings folded about it on my right thigh. a raven on my left thigh. a tribal mew and tribal charmander on my chest. there are a few others, but some are not as definitively chosen yet. it's hard to choose exactly due to my boyfriend's dislike for tattoos ("why would you want to ruin your pretty body?"); this makes me think harder about their significance.

My son has tattoos.

A word of advice ... depending on what job you want, do not have your tatoo where it can be seen.

^ This is very true. And, yes, I have a tatt myself.

Face/neck tatts are going to be a no-no in most forms of employment. They're really not a good plan unless you are *sure* you can afford to be out of the mainstream. You *may* get away with one on the back of the neck *if* you have long hair to cover it with.

Hand tatts. Better than face/neck, but still dodgy in a lot of cases. Anything professional is probably not going to let you get away with them.

Full sleeves. Questions will be asked about these (and, indeed, any forearm tatt), but if you can convincingly cover them up you'll probably be all right. My brother has full sleeves on both arms - he does just fine as an insurance broker. He *does* have to wear long sleeve shirts to work, though.

Leg tatts - will depend hugely on where in the world you are. They probably won't be a bar to employment, but most employers will probably ask you to cover them up. Not a good plan if you spend half your life in shorts, totally irrelevant if it never gets over 25C.

I would love a tatoo, they look really great on some people.

But I haven't got the faintest clue what to get tatooed. I could go and just choose something pretty, but I don't think I would keep finding it pretty for the rest of my life if it didn't have a personal meaning to me.

I'm going to wait patiently, maybe inspiration will strike one day, then I'll go and get it.

You would. If you choose the most awesome and respectable artist you can find, if they make you a completely custom design (as any decent artist would---if they don't do custom, they aren't a tattoo artist), if you choose something because it's DOPE ART and not because it's trendy/"has lots of personal meaning" (such as a couple of letters/numbers or something your kid drew)*, then that art will be gorgeous now, it will be gorgeous in 10 years, it will be gorgeous in 50 years and you will still love it. Good art is absolutely timeless. If it's not standing the test of time it's not good art.

The reason Japanese style and old-school Americana tattoos have remained popular for 150 years is because no matter what new styles develop, they don't have the staying power/blur resistance that old Japanese tattoo has. It doesn't have to be a Japanese THEME or a Japanese ITEM, but that system of using negative space, simple colors, large areas of color and deep outline, and a design that flows with the muscle shape and harmonizes with the contours of the body, will ALWAYS be readable, clean, good design and it will age gracefully if taken care of.

Little tattoos with too many colors, no outline, scrubby coloring, extra-fine needles and lots of white-based ink will blur and fade and become a blob in 10 years. It's a medical fact.... Japanese tattooing was refined over generations to work with the natural process of skin renewal.... they figured out what works.

I LOVE tattoos and it just breaks my heart to see someone go through the money and time and discomfort of getting a tattoo just to end up with some bad, cheap art, when they could pay that to a brilliant artist and end up with a piece of real art that should be in a gallery.

I'm a tattoo apprentice in Japan right now, been here about 3 years and I never ever get tired of it. When I'm not tattooing I'm drawing. I graduated with a degree in Illustration and I feel like I'm just STARTING to learn how to draw.

I would never ever go somewhere you pick a tattoo out of a book and they trace it onto your skin, trace over it and send you home. noooo waaaayyyy. I have too much respect for art for that. xd.png

*this is not to say that tattoos cannot have personal meaning. I am just saying that there are beautiful, brilliant ways to incorporate the 'meaning' and significance into a piece of art, while still having professionally designed beautiful art on your body. This is the difference between just tattooing the Jurassic Park movie logo on your back ('it has meaning' but no art), or having a totally custom dinosaur-chasing-the-jeep with birds flying out of the jungle and the searchlight glowing on the dinosaur's face as it's running directly at the viewer out of the center of your back and the edges of the design blurring away into crumbled clods of dirt and leaves scattering across your ribs and shoulder.

Both of those would signify that you really liked Jurassic Park, but one is good and one is crap.

Edited by Moeru

This is actually an interesting point of view, it made me think. But yes, when I said "choose something pretty" I was thinking along the lines of a nice design from a book.

I think I can compare it to famous paintings. I admire and like many, but only some make me stay and sit down in front of them and return to do it all over again, because they strike a chord with me, move me in some way. That's what I meant with "personal meaning" and I haven't yet found anything that does this to me as far as tattoos go.

And I don't really have the money to ask for design after design until I do find something, I'll have to come up with the basic idea on my own.

I always wanted a tattoo, but I never found "mine". Now I am nearly 30 and I think I am growing old without one. I am sure my friends would say that I am a wimp and afraid of the pain, maybe they are right rolleyes.gif. But I think my problem is that I can not draw one myself because I have no talent and I can not explain others what I have in mind. So I have never seen something I would really like to have on my skin for the rest of my life, because what others draw is not what I see in front of my inner eye.

@Moeru:

Your attitude towards your "job" is awesome. I wish Japan wouldn't be that far away.

*wishful sigh* I have the perfect concept for a tattoo...My mother and I were actually watching 'Tattoo Nightmares' yesterday, and we got to talking about what we would get if we ever decided to get a tatt. My mom would get a rose with both her initials and my dad's initials, and the word 'Forever' beneath it.

I tried explaining to her that I'd get a pair of wings, but not traditional bird/angel/Demon or bat wings. I want Hybrid wings. Had a hard time explaining, so I drew these up/fixed the colors in paint.net. I never draw things this clearly when it comes to my traditional stuff, so I'm rather proud of these.

Base Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Completed Set/Better saturated colors (Have a version without the signature as well)

user posted imageuser posted image

I have a concept in my mind, as well as where i'd like it placed, but I haven't the money yet to get it done. lol. I've always wanted the sagittarius centaur fixed my own way, in my own colorations, and not something that looks crappy. So... I have a while to go before that dream becomes reality.

I have a tattoo on my upper left arm. It was a custom job, not one of the 'standard' designs that seem to be everywhere.

I always play the Inferno faction in Heroes 5 Multiplayer.... and the design I had done was the concept art for one of the Demon Heroes in H5. So when I say custom job, I mean existing art used as a reference...

I would post a pic of it, but I don't think an angry-looking Succubi wielding a broadsword and a flame whip is actually kid-friendly enough for this site.

Now all I need is to find her polar opposite to place on my right arm and I'd have my customized conscience in tattoo form. xd.png

Slightly off-topic: If anyone thinks they can do the angel version, and doesn't mind it being used as a tattoo base - shoot me a PM and I'll send the demon pic I had done for a reference.

I can't really see myself getting a tattoo. I'm a gigantic wuss and I'm scared of the pain and needle, plus I can't imagine anything I'd actually want tattooed on me... x3;

Tattoos are great because if you ever end up dead and are missing most of your identifiable characteristics, they can be used as a way of tracing your identity.

Unless your tattoo is something like, barbed wire around your arm or a star on your hand. Probably not so helpful then.

I have several tatt's and want several more. I have 1 rule however about tattoo's.

~~~ Know what you want, exactly what you want it to look like, and know exactly where and how you want it placed for AT LEAST 1 year before you can get inked.~~~

This is something that is going to be with you the rest of your life and if you can't be sure about it for a year prior to getting it then you will more than likely have regret sometime down the road after you get it.

My first tatt was above my right breast and is of Tweety Bird with a halo... it says 'Angel with ATTITUDE'.

My second is a celtic knot which looks like stone on the inside of my left ankle with ivy going around my ankle. (VERY TENDER PLACE to get a tatt FYI)

My third I got with my mother in law on her 50th birthday (her first tatt) and it is on my right shoulder blade of a blue poison dart frog done in a realistic style to look like he is climbing up my back. (She got the traditional green dart frog with the orange feet in the same spot)

My 4th & 5th are on my thighs and are part of a Valentine's Day present I purchased for my hubby. I actually booked a local tattoo artist for the entire day and my hubby got his first tatt (Goku powering up on the upper half of his left arm so it can be covered with a t-shirt for work - but just barely) and I had my version of 2 pixies done of Tinkerbell (sexy, naughty Tink) and her school girl polar opposite on the other done in purples and the same blue that Tink has.

My next tatt is going to be on my feet which will be done with water outline and a dark redish brown ink to look like Mhindi wedding hena. Then after that I am getting 2 white ink tatts - A family tatt that has all 4 of our zodiac signs inside a celtic mothers love knot and lepard spots on the left side of my face along the hairline. Being that they are white ink (and I am so almost albino pale) they will only show up under black light then they will glow biggrin.gif

Eventually my entire back will be done to look like it was ripped open showing a beautiful garden with pixies and frogs in it and it will then look like that the frog on my shoulder blade climbed out of that picture smile.gif

I can go on and on and have several that I want after that but all have been planned for years as to avoid the regret later down the road... even laser removal leaves a scar :/

Edited for spelling errors

Edited by Tinks.Mess

I'm 21 right now and I've wanted this tattoo since I was 18, I want it on my right shoulder blade and in the future probably two black angel wings just below my neck on my back but they'll probably be small and possibly one other small tattoo of either my girlfriends name after we're married, a wolf or another name/word that has special meaning to me. I had a fear of needles when I was young but I kinda just woke up one day and wasn't scared anymore, I also kinda like the barbed wire around the arm thing so not sure if I'd get one of those but it's possible tongue.gif

I would love a back tattoo but my skin is a bit scarred up back there so it maybe hard for the ink to take.

But regardless I have full plans to get a tattoo when I finally get my master's degree. Sort of a hey! Look! You did it! You did the thing!

My major is geology so of course, science tattoo. It will be a black tattoo done like an ink sketch of a rhamphorynchus skeleton (a species of pterosaur)

Mm, I would like a small tattoo of some sort because I like the art expression of it. It'd be something simple, or a neat typography of "Dimar". BUT I have a medical phobia that extends to a terrible fear of injections and being touched makes me uncomfortable, plus I'm uncontrollably flinchy and overly worried about getting infected or things going improbably wrong. So it's not something I could get done without a panic attack or unconsciousness. x3

It'd be nice if you could custom-make temporary tattoos that last for months, lol. Or markers.