TJ09

Donation Meter

Thanks, now I won't have to cancel my subscription to see the cats! xd.png

=) Now that's a good idea! xd.png

I know right? The cats always win peoples hearts :3

Edit: I was about to ask how long it normally takes to kick in but then I saw in the cancellation terms area that it can take up to a day. I'm fine with that ^-^

Edited by DevilAngelWolf27

Would a button or banner at the top of the home page not have sufficed? I had ads turned off to help the page load faster and to not distract when egg hunting because they were annoyingly bright and high contrast against DC's subdued background. These subscription ads are just an eyesore, I don't think putting this big distracting thing at the bottom of every page will make people donate if they already weren't going to.

Would a button or banner at the top of the home page not have sufficed? I had ads turned off to help the page load faster and to not distract when egg hunting because they were annoyingly bright and high contrast against DC's subdued background. These subscription ads are just an eyesore, I don't think putting this big distracting thing at the bottom of every page will make people donate if they already weren't going to.

The subscription ads aren't for donations. They are for advertisement removal subscription (found in your account) so that you can browse the site ad free but DC can still be upkept without requirement payment. They're an alternative to the money gained from ads, which help keep the site free so that you can be ad free guilt free. ;3

I'm a little annoyed with these new "please buy a subscription" banners as well. Personally, it sucks, because I'm feeling guilty with every single ad, but I literally have no money to spend on a pixel game right now (nope, not even $5/month).

And what about kids who play? I doubt most parents would choose to donate to a pixel game just because of ads.

I understand not wanting *everyone* to just block ads, instead of paying for the blocking, but not all of us *can* and these new banners are just making me feel bad. And, to be honest, it's a little tacky.

new

I believe you mean "introduced in five-ish years ago." Though they were updated in 2012 from "don't use adblock" to "please subscribe" banners, that still doesn't quite qualify as new.

Nonetheless, as Sock alluded, this discussion is tending towards irrelevant to the subject of the donations bar.

I am having a problem with the subscription ad- removal.

Since I have bought the subscription, I have been swamped with inappropriate ads. My security system is blocking the worst ones, and my ad blocker is still active and blocking about 2-3 on each DC page. What exactly am I paying for?

I would prefer to simply donate the $5 pm, but I want those ads blocked by someone!

Edited by charlottekay62

If you're being swamped with ads when you've bought the ad removal (is it up to date - have you paid for the current month?) and using an adblocker, you should probably run a virus and malware scan. That sounds very shady. I'm not sure it's something wrong on our side of things, so you may want to try something like geeks on call.

Yeah, frustrating thing, I just did all that, before any problems. Very disappointed in both malware products at the moment. just signed up with ad-removal a couple of days ago

Thanks for help - will run another full-scan

Yeah, frustrating thing, I just did all that, before any problems. Very disappointed in both malware products at the moment. just signed up with ad-removal a couple of days ago

Thanks for help - will run another full-scan

You may also want to check if your ad block add-on is 1) active in your browser and 2) what elements of the webpages it is hiding.

Sometimes, for some unknown reason, McAfee's SafeSearch & browser protection will turn off all my add-ons/extensions/plug-ins and I have to go turn everything back on. And then AdBlock sometimes forgets which elements it's supposed to hide, usually after a browser is updated or McAfee goes all HAL on me.

I remember TJ did this really LONG survey and one of the things I input is that I blocked ads because the blocking ads "ads" were a lot funnier and awesome compared to regular ads. I'm sorry they were! The whole, hatchlings die and kittens beat us when you block ads was hysterical. I loved those ads!

That being said, I was glad when they kept the ads but replaced them with the idea of doing an ad removal subscription instead to remove ads and support the site. It reminds me to do that many times. And I'm sorry, but the ads are awesome. They are marketing genius on everything.

If anything, I miss the "Kitties are mean to us because you block ads" or whatever that particular one was to come back into the rotation. I love those ads, love what they represent, and the idea that I could just donate and get rid of ads and still support the site because well... when I'm at home, ads generally are just blocked. I get plenty of them on my mobile.

Thank you for your blocked ads ads. I love them don't change a thing!

Edited by natayah

Hi people. Sorry if this question has been answered before, but... if I have adblock turned on, does that mean DC doesn't get any ad revenue from me being on the site? If so I'll turn it off right away.

I turn on ads for DC because I do want to support the site.

If I find any inappropriate ones I'll just report it to google and it'll never show the bad ad again.

I do turn them off if I'm trying to grab eggs for loading time.

I'll be turning off Adblock for DC, then, as I want to give them the most support I can give them! ♥ Although, during the holidays, I might turn it off for loading time. But otherwise, I'll be showing my support that I can give atm by letting the ads show. smile.gif

I'll be turning off Adblock for DC, then, as I want to give them the most support I can give them! ♥ Although, during the holidays, I might turn it off for loading time. But otherwise, I'll be showing my support that I can give atm by letting the ads show. smile.gif

FWIW, back when I added the Advertisement Removal Subscription feature, I recorded page loads with and without ads and put the videos side-by-side to confirm that the ads load after all page content. While ads will extend the overall page load time, they don't appear to affect the content loading time (the time to interact with eggs in a biome should be the same with or without ads).

FWIW, back when I added the Advertisement Removal Subscription feature, I recorded page loads with and without ads and put the videos side-by-side to confirm that the ads load after all page content. While ads will extend the overall page load time, they don't appear to affect the content loading time (the time to interact with eggs in a biome should be the same with or without ads).

Oh, okay! Thanks for the info, TJ! ^o^ I won't lie, I was a little concerned that the ads would affect loading time and make it unable for me even attempt to grab an egg I wanted, but now that you've told me that I'm good. ^o^ Thank you!

I will certainly donate once I can, I enjoy that this isn't a pay to win game or one where they special out the donaters. thumbs_up.png

I want to point out to anyone having problems with ads, especially after buying DC's ad removal, that not all "antivirus/antimalware" programs are legitimate, and not all legitimate ones are very high quality. I can't tell you how many times I've had friends download stuff thinking it was a proper antivirus/antimalware only for the thing they downloaded to turn out to be malware itself. And even legitimate software is often buggy or simply not very effective, as someone else pointed out. So if this is a problem for you despite running such software you may want to consider alternative choices for your antimalware. DC itself produces very few ads, none of which are popups or intrusive. If you're seeing anything really annoying, I'd be willing to bet money that it's not coming from DC and you have a local problem on your machine. A huge amount of malware is designed to appear integral to whatever website you're browsing, such as links and ads that look built-in to the site, but it's all actually being done by programs running locally on your machine. So be careful! Don't assume that a bad ad or link on a site is actually put there by that site! It is more likely to come from your own machine, especially if it is normally a site like DC which we rightfully know and trust not to do things like that to us.

Edited by Lurhstaap

Quick question for TJ:

Does buying a $5 subscription help more than having ads on the page? Like, is there more money gained in the ad-removal, than with having the ads? I bought the $5 sub, and was curious.

Quick question for TJ:

Does buying a $5 subscription help more than having ads on the page? Like, is there more money gained in the ad-removal, than with having the ads? I bought the $5 sub, and was curious.

It's probably $5 because that's probably about what the ads work out to.

~

This thread has gotten really off from donations, though. xP

I do appreciate the options that TJ has built into DC so we have choices to fit a lot of different needs and wants. Most, if not all of us, seem to appreciate TJ continuing to run the site without charges but he gives us the option to donate, when and if we can and/or want to.

Thank-you TJ, plus administrators and other staff and contributors, for your generosity and forethought in creating, maintaining, and enhancing DC.

Gotta love them dragons, you can't have just one. LOL