maustin89

Computer and tech talk and questions

it's a dell inspiron desktop. it has these three plugs as far as audio goes?

user posted image

i was considering an adapter, but i'm not really sure which one to get. all the ones i've found have dubious reviews.

Edited by Switch

it's a dell inspiron desktop. it has these three plugs as far as audio goes?

user posted image

i was considering an adapter, but i'm not really sure which one to get. all the ones i've found have dubious reviews.

If you desire to get a headset and/or headphones, get a usb one. Most plugs won't want to operate with separate "left" and "right" plugs lmao

If you desire to get a headset and/or headphones, get a usb one. Most plugs won't want to operate with separate "left" and "right" plugs lmao

Ehh... I've generally found USB headsets less reliable, never mind that they will inevitably take up an USB slot, which some computers - especially laptops - do not have all that many of (or you'll have to crawl somewhere to reach most of them with a PC, and the headset *does not* have a long enough cord to properly reach the back USB ports, if it even reaches the front ones decently enough). Also, USB headsets occasionally have driver issues; the ones using designated audio/mic/dual jacks will just work upon being plugged in.

Those depicted are the typical "old" mic / line in / line out plugs, so just look for one with two separate jacks - might be color-coded pink and green for your convenience. (And check the length of the headset's cord if you buy any; cords of inadequate length are definitely a mildly annoying first world problem. biggrin.gif )

Edited by Shienvien

This one will be simple for most of you. It's the modern world- search engines are smarter and it's easier for people to search what they need or want. I feel stupid for not knowing how to do so more efficiently.

Now, here's my question. How to search for things that you do not know the name of? For example, with academic qualifications (e.g. PhD, MA, BS, DMD) I did not know what they were called. I simply want to know what PhD or MS is collectively called. So how do I get to search to find the term (i.e. academic qualifications?

I want this problem to stop reoccurring so I'll stop making a fool of myself in chats, asking people around.

George Edited: tongue.gif This has been simple for me as well. Apparently, after finding some methods online for lifehacks, I learnt that there is a site, several sites, that helps with tip-of-the-tongue words.

Edited by georgexu94

Not really computer related but technology related.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 and I had a old ZTE Valet. I have been trying to transfer my stuff over and went through several options. I tried Content Transfer, Photo Copier, CLONEit and probably 4-5 other apps to do so. I have got ONLY my contacts to transfer but I'd like my SMS to transfer. Does anyone know how to get any of these stupid apps to work?

Phone Copier is the one I got to transfer my contacts.

The Verizon Content Transfer kept wanting to make a hot spot and it would get one but I could never exit off my Samsungs screen to get to any other part and my old Valet would just d/c the Wi-Fi and never connect. I have no idea what I am doing wrong and if there is even a guide out there, I'm seriously not seeing it.

Edited by demonicvampiregirl

My internet is being weird. Any Google-based site lags for minutes. And it's only Google. Google Search, Gmail, Docs, all lagging.

Any suggestions on how to fix said problem? I loathe using Bing but I'm being forced to right now. Ugh.

Edited by predatorfan4ever

Draconicvampiregirl, Verizon should offer to transfer that over for you. Ask them about it.

Predatorfan4ever, I'm not too sure. Maybe try restarting the router and checking your signal strength? If it's low, it gets a bit flukey, and you might have had the speed go down right as you go on Google. Try clearing your cache, too. I've never heard of one specific site lagging for one person on one certain Internet connection.

Edited by missHPfan2

I have a phone that's not even a year old yet and it's refusing to charge quickly. I have tried multiple USB chargers and it is saying that it's slowly charging and it'll take three hours to finish charging. I don't know know what to do at this point :/

It started the other day and every now and then I'll catch a break and get lucky that Turbo Charge will activate :/

Edited by Raptor of Dragons

Since Bookmarks have been proven to slow down browsers, how else can I save certain websites I want to pull up later?

Since Bookmarks have been proven to slow down browsers, how else can I save certain websites I want to pull up later?

There are dedicated bookmark apps out there (Google Bookmarks or Pocket for example), butI'm not sure a browser extension would be faster than the builtin bookmark list.(I haven't used on though so I might be wrong)

Pinning tabs is another way of saving certain pages but that definitely slows things down since the browser tries to load all pinned tabs.

I use http://pinboard.in for sites I want to read later or on a different computer. You can add tags and choose if you want the bookmark to be public or private. (I only use private.)

I use http://pinboard.in for sites I want to read later or on a different computer. You can add tags and choose if you want the bookmark to be public or private. (I only use private.)

Thanks for the suggestion! I found a free alternative since I can't bring myself to spend $11/year. ^^

Oops. I thought it was free. blink.gif So I'm either paying for it without realizing, or I might have signed up at a time when it was free... Sorry for the oversight!

I cannot uninstall Avira because it's password protected. I bought my desktop second hand and it was pre-installed so obtaining the password isn't an option. Is there any way to uninstall it without doing illegal things?

I cannot uninstall Avira because it's password protected. I bought my desktop second hand and it was pre-installed so obtaining the password isn't an option. Is there any way to uninstall it without doing illegal things?

1) Safemode would probably work.

2) Get yourself a GNU/Linux live boot USB (or disk) - you can use any old USB, and it's free, Ubuntu works. Once in the GNU/Linux OS, you can still access the Windows filesystem - and carefully remove it manually.

I have to say the free version of avira is my AV of choice.

And even more so after I got hopping mad with AVG free and it took a specific tool from their site, 9 hours and 8 reboots to uninstall that. (I even did it with IObit after the uninstall key that came with the programme wouldn't work, nor would the windows uninstall programmes one - and it promptly reinstalled itself. mad.gif) NEVER again.

I use Comodo as my AV. No paid version, meaning you get everything for free. However, uncheck GeekBuddy, as it can get annoying when Comodo finds something. It's harmless though, and easy enough to uninstall.

My internet is being weird. Any Google-based site lags for minutes. And it's only Google. Google Search, Gmail, Docs, all lagging.

Any suggestions on how to fix said problem? I loathe using Bing but I'm being forced to right now. Ugh.

Predatorfan4ever, I'm not too sure. Maybe try restarting the router and checking your signal strength? If it's low, it gets a bit flukey, and you might have had the speed go down right as you go on Google. Try clearing your cache, too. I've never heard of one specific site lagging for one person on one certain Internet connection.
I'm still having this problem, but I have narrowed down the culprit. Google Chrome (and Chromium-based Browsers) seem to cause their own darn sisters and brothers to lag (WTF???). I can access Google Search, Google Docs, Gmail, etc JUST FINE on FireFox. But as soon as I use Google Chrome, all of these sites LAG and LAG and sometimes they don't even LOAD AT ALL.

I have tried Googling my problem (thanks FireFox!) but I can't find a solution. I have tried missHPfan2's ideas and still nothing. rolleyes.gifdry.gif

So, anyone else wanna take a crack at it? I'll even give you remote access to my computer. Lmao. xd.png

Have you cleared your browsing history and cache lately?

Also maybe check for any plugins or extensions that could be slowing it down.

Those are usually the likely culprits of a slow browser...

Edited by Stromboli

I have cleared everything "Since the beginning of time." Even tried reinstalling it. rolleyes.gif I give up on this particular problem.

So, anyone else wanna take a crack at it? I'll even give you remote access to my computer. Lmao. xd.png

Nah, I dunno Remote Desktop laugh.gif

Last time I tried to use Chrome with a slow network connection, I met the following https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2...-document-write on most websites. Particularly Google sites, since I'm sending all requests to G's ads into /dev/null and they never load, which is interpreted as "too slow to load".

I have cleared everything "Since the beginning of time." Even tried reinstalling it. rolleyes.gif I give up on this particular problem.

Have you tried flushing the DNS ? I had an issue similar to yours where every website worked fine except reddit and flushing the DNS fixed it. Here is a walkthrough is you don't know how. Just skip /release and /renew. The DNS is separate from your browser history and cache. Clearing your browser history and cache won't do anything if the problem is with the DNS.

oh my good lord. Is it really possible that I've found this amazing thread when I truly need it?!

all joking aside I'm really in a bind.

I've recently reinstalled my movie making program and I have footage that I want to use, but for some reason it won't read the files because they're through quicktime even though they play fine on my windows media player. Okay, so I look for the program to install Quicktime and finally find it.

Here's my problem:

Every time I go to install it it gets almost all the way there and then it says there an error and begins to roll back the installation.

All I did was follow the directions. Do I need to download the installation program again and how do I do that if I need to? I could only find it on one site because I guess its not supported by apple anymore?

I'm not good with computers. I don't know a thing about this stuff. I only know enough to get around most sites and that's it. Help please?