maustin89

Computer and tech talk and questions

I checked my settings and everything looks normal, which is weird. And that it's not the same weird thing on both sites, and that it's just 2 sites not anything else. That's what has me baffled.

TBH, I've no idea--I've not changed any settings lately that I'm aware of, and I don't see anything set oddly?

A lot of emails use bold to show unread mail. It's been years since I used hotmail. They didn't do that before? o.o

Not sure what's going on with DC for you. Did you try the usual:

-Clear cache

-Clear cookies/at least clear DC cookies

-Log out and log in

-Re-start browser

-Re-start computer

-Re-start browser or modem

Maybe just going through those will fix it? Or perhaps it'll fix itself in time. D:

Hoping perhaps someone here may be able to come up with something. D:

Have you tried a MALWARE scan ? They very often pick up things that virus scans don't. I assume malwarebytes works on a mac...

Oh - you need an alternative, apparently:

http://www.malwarebytesmac.org/

Edited by fuzzbucket

Have you tried a MALWARE scan ? They very often pick up things that virus scans don't. I assume malwarebytes works on a mac...

Oh - you need an alternative, apparently:

http://www.malwarebytesmac.org/

Ahh, I used up my free trial of that a while back. D: That's a lot of money for me right now. It did give me some frowny faces, so that might be it (although any apple discussion forum acts like it's impossible -sigh-). I'll have to look around and see if I can find something else. o3o

Ahh, I used up my free trial of that a while back. D: That's a lot of money for me right now. It did give me some frowny faces, so that might be it (although any apple discussion forum acts like it's impossible -sigh-). I'll have to look around and see if I can find something else. o3o

malwarebytes itself is free. But I have a Mac guru mate. Backatcha later....

About two weeks ago, I started encountering a very odd and frustrating error. I couldn't load certain websites, no matter how many times I refreshed, no matter what browser I used. The error's name and exact explanation would change depending on which one I was using, but Firefox called it a “ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR”. Its a very small number of websites, maybe only about 5%, but they're very often IMPORTANT websites, and official ones, too.

I started with basic trouble-shooting. I restarted my broswers, then restarted my computer. I looked up solutions online. The most common solution was that my computer's time had gotten out-of-synch, and correcting it would fix it. My computer's clock DOES do that a lot, but I found correcting the time did nothing. (Its possible that because of all the travelling I've done with it of late, it literally doesn't know what time-zone is the 'right' one).

I've tried what few other suggestions are out there. I've tried messing around with Google Chrome's settings, but found nothing that works. I've tried manually editing Chrome's properties, but it refuses to do anything. I've tried a system restore to an earllier date. Nothing.

It refuses to let me to log onto some important sites I need to access for school, but nothing I do seems to fix it. Any ideas?

A lot of emails use bold to show unread mail. It's been years since I used hotmail. They didn't do that before? o.o

Not sure what's going on with DC for you. Did you try the usual:

-Clear cache

-Clear cookies/at least clear DC cookies

-Log out and log in

-Re-start browser

-Re-start computer

-Re-start browser or modem

Maybe just going through those will fix it? Or perhaps it'll fix itself in time. D:

Oops been busy so haven't gotten to check here, haha..

Yep, I tried all that--nothing's happening.

And for the email, it's not just bold it's like mega-bold. And it's definitely my desktop for both, my laptop is showing both sites the same as normal.

I was hoping that it would fix itself, but still nothing... D: It's hard on my eyes for the forums, which sucks.

malwarebytes itself is free. But I have a Mac guru mate. Backatcha later....

So... now it seems like anytime a pop-up is required, ff just freezes and I have to quit the browser to get it re-started again. >_>

Completely Different - In your case, I might actually try calling your ISP and trying to talk the problem through with them. Frustrating to try and get them to actually help, I know, but that's an odd problem and it could perhaps be some weird error on their end.

KageSora - Well, darn. I've got nothing else. D:

So... now it seems like anytime a pop-up is required, ff just freezes and I have to quit the browser to get it re-started again. >_>

He hasn't got back to me (he is VERY busy at work...)

But you could try this one: FREEEEEE !

http://download.cnet.com/Mac-Malware-Remov...4-75714259.html

In safari it seems you can block pop-ups, if you are desperate. (I have them all blocked except in SPECIFIC sites.)

Look at these, maybe ?

http://alternativeto.net/software/better-p...r/?platform=mac

Reinstal the browser ??? OH - and if you can get noscript for safari, that should do it - won't remove the malware (assuming that's what it is) but it won't let it run ! I assume you have disabled java ? That is nightmare stuff. I THIN I even uninstalled it...

Edited by fuzzbucket

He hasn't got back to me (he is VERY busy at work...)

But you could try this one: FREEEEEE !

http://download.cnet.com/Mac-Malware-Remov...4-75714259.html

In safari it seems you can block pop-ups, if you are desperate. (I have them all blocked except in SPECIFIC sites.)

Look at these, maybe ?

http://alternativeto.net/software/better-p...r/?platform=mac

Reinstal the browser ??? OH - and if you can get noscript for safari, that should do it - won't remove the malware (assuming that's what it is) but it won't let it run ! I assume you have disabled java ? That is nightmare stuff. I THIN I even uninstalled it...

Sorry, didn't mean to seem like I was prodding you. Yours was just the nearest post on my situation for me to bump it. xP

Free download! Awesome, but it caught nothing, so not helpful in this case. D:

Problem is that I already have pop-ups disabled in ff. That doesn't block the confirmation pop-ups. I suppose I can probably manage that with noscript or greasemonkey, if I can figure out how. =X

EDIT: Alright, got noscript going. Let's hope I don't accidentally delete random user posts meaning to quote instead or something. >_e

And now I will never sort again, lol.

EDIT2: Urgh, everything takes 10 times longer to load. This will not do.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

(although any apple discussion forum acts like it's impossible -sigh-)

UGH I know it's ridiculous! While I believe Macs are generally more secure in general, they're also just usually not the target of most viruses and such :c

Do you have Magician? Probably not quite what you need, but it's free (not a one-time trial, though there might be a more awesome version that you have to pay for and has a free trial) and can at least protect against certain things like Trojans. It also has a nice cleaning function and duplicate finder, which is a blessing!

Edited by edwardelricfreak

UGH I know it's ridiculous! While I believe Macs are generally more secure in general, they're also just usually not the target of most viruses and such :c

Do you have Magician? Probably not quite what you need, but it's free (not a one-time trial, though there might be a more awesome version that you have to pay for and has a free trial) and can at least protect against certain things like Trojans. It also has a nice cleaning function and duplicate finder, which is a blessing!

Oooh, haven't heard of it. Thank you! *goes to check it out*

Sorry, didn't mean to seem like I was prodding you. Yours was just the nearest post on my situation for me to bump it. xP

No worries - didn't take it as a prod - your post reminded me he hadn't, is all. smile.gif

Does anyone know how to fix a Windows 7 PC that always hangs and shows the blue screen of death? We always bring the CPU to the shop to have it fix but apparently they just reboot the system and wipe clean and uninstall some programs. After awhile, the computer shows some errors again. dry.gif It's very annoying already. Plus, the PC now shows a vertical blue line across the screen, splitting the screen in half. Help please?

Vertical blue line sounds like it might either be a screen or graphics card issue. Are you on a desktop PC or a laptop?

As for cleanup, I use Malwarebytes for most cleanups, and Combofix for worse-off systems. Be careful about using that last one, though, because it can bork your system permanently if used incorrectly.

I'm using a desktop PC. So, Malwarebytes is safer? It doesn't erase my data in my PC?

Edited by georgexu94

Malware bytes is extremely safe to use, yes smile.gif And it's totally free to use the utility to boot (their antivirus service isn't, however. I use the free AV offered by Microsoft for genuine Windows installs - works pretty good, and isn't resource-intensive or obtrusive like Norton or McCafee). For basic cleanup and simple malware infections, it's great.

If you're getting just regular errors, you might try a hard disk repair, accessible through your system tools in Accessories->System Tools (if I'm remembering correctly). Is there any way you can write down the specific error on the blue screen you've been getting?

I really only use Combofix when there's an infection that's made entries in the registry that allow it to reinstall itself after bootup, after the initial infection is taken care of. Otherwise, MB can handle the job.

smile.gif Thank you Omega Entity! I haven't tried it yet. If the blue screen of Death appears, I'll take a photo of it. The PC is still working but tends to hang up so I'm using iPad for the moment. It's kinda strange since we just had the CPU fixed but the screen obtained that blue vertical line. >_> What a waste of money.

More questions!

First off, are you using a separate graphics card, or on-board? The hookups for a separate card will likely be horizontal unless it's a micro case, or vertical if it's the on-board graphics card built into the motherboard.

Second, does the blue line show up after booting the OS, or is it present during the BIOS loadup screen when you first turn it on?

If it's an issue with the graphics card or monitor, it won't have anything to do with the actual CPU. If it's the card going bad, it could also possibly explain the system hangs as well.

The line shows after booting the OS. It's not there when on but appears when the Microsoft logo appears.

Alright, so it's only there during the Windows loading screen, but disappears after? Let me do a bit more research, and see if I can't narrow it down.

Ah, alright. Yeah, definitely sounds like a graphics card issue, though there is always a chance I'm wrong since i can't look at it. On the plus side, they can be pretty cheap to replace, and they're ridiculously easy to install if you decide to try it yourself.

What's your specs, and do you use your machine for gaming at all? I can let you know what kind you'll need, if you want smile.gif

Edited by Omega Entity