maustin89

Computer and tech talk and questions

I use Comodo as my AV. No paid version, meaning you get everything for free. However, uncheck GeekBuddy, as it can get annoying when Comodo finds something. It's harmless though, and easy enough to uninstall.

Comodo hijacks your browser as well, and changes your default search engine. It used to be great but was recently blasted in the computer magazine I read for (recently) installing a load of PUPs.

I just got my new, blazingly-fast iMac which arrived about 2 hours ago. Installed software updates and it appears to be working fine, although I had a little trouble installing Firefox. I think that's good now, too, but we'll see if Firefox continues to work after the computer is restarted. Yes, FF still works after restart.

Edited by casprrr

I tried to encrypt my USB drive with bitlocker but something went wrong so it became it couldn't be unlocked nor formatted. According to following threads, (1 2) it looks like it can be formatted in linux environment but linux still said it is write protected. How can I make this drive writable in linux? (Or can I even do it with currupted drive like this?) I tried a few methods but all of those failed...

There are about half a dozen different tools/commands which might work. mkfs (in root rights / using sudo) is one probable option (unmounted drive). What did you try?

!!!!!!!!!!!!

I completely forgot if I've already posted here years ago, but I absolutely love coding in javascript (mainly for bots on Discord). I've even come up with stupid commands that have no use, simply because they're fun to code.

Though I'm not an expert just yet, I'm teaching myself online and getting help from others. I hope to incorporate it into a future job.

Edited by Purpzie

I'm at my wits end, so hopefully one of you guys can offer some advice.

A few days ago, my desktop decided to act really strangely. At time, it would change the screen to a blank one, where nothing really responds. If there was a video playing, it might also alter the speakers and the sound becomes really distorted. If I turn it on, it will start to boot up and suddenly discharge(?) or turn back off and keeps looping like that. I just cleaned out a bit of dust from the inside, but it still has pretty much all of these problems.

I'm just at a lost of what to do other than take it to some store to get it fixed.

... The kicker, I graduated to be a computer engineer. I feel so absolutely useless. sad.gif

I'd suspect hardware malfunction, xdlugia. From the little you've provided, I'd figure the motherboard is the most likely culprit.

Anyone here Firefox savvy?

Up until about a week ago, I frequently had problems with graphical glitches and high CPU usage, but found a fix in adding "layers.offmainthreadcomposition.force-disabled" to config. Unfortunately, it seems that setting it has broken video playback. Youtube, Imgur, Twitch -- you name it, it probably won't work. When trying to play one it will load and play two or three seconds, and then reload. Play again, and reload. Play, reload. (Repeat ad infinitum.)

Searching didn't find any similar cases or fixes, so I'm not sure what to do. I really don't want to disable it because this is the best that Firefox has run on this computer in quite a while, but having to open another browser or use the laptop to watch videos is a bit tedious. Is there any happy medium, or am I stuck?

Anyone here Firefox savvy?

Up until about a week ago, I frequently had problems with graphical glitches and high CPU usage, but found a fix in adding "layers.offmainthreadcomposition.force-disabled" to config. Unfortunately, it seems that setting it has broken video playback. Youtube, Imgur, Twitch -- you name it, it probably won't work. When trying to play one it will load and play two or three seconds, and then reload. Play again, and reload. Play, reload. (Repeat ad infinitum.)

Searching didn't find any similar cases or fixes, so I'm not sure what to do. I really don't want to disable it because this is the best that Firefox has run on this computer in quite a while, but having to open another browser or use the laptop to watch videos is a bit tedious. Is there any happy medium, or am I stuck?

You've tried all the usual options of updating flash, updating adobe shockwave, updating video card drivers, disabling plugins, and reinstalling firefox, I presume? As I understand it, firefox has an issue with hardware acceleration, and I believe that code turns it off for ff. I think there's an option in ff for that directly. You might try that and see if that has the same effect. Using code to affect things directly can have unintended consequences.

Also, if it's an older computer, check for silverlight. That's deprecated and can mess with things.

Trying to change my Google icon. It shows my new icon on my gmail and youtube, but on other Google pages it still has the old one. 

9 hours ago, Fortune86 said:

Trying to change my Google icon. It shows my new icon on my gmail and youtube, but on other Google pages it still has the old one. 

Did you hard refresh and/or clear your cache?

Got a couple questions.

I have Firefox 50.1.0, I don't really want to update and lose a add-on that I need to play a FB game. So does anyone play Dino Hunter Deadly Shores? I know Firefox is disabling add-ons or something with that? I'm not entirely sure what is going on fully with that.

Anyway, second question I have is about password savers. Does anyone use these? 1Password, KeePass, or LastPass? These was mentioned in TJs post and I am considering using one. I just wondered what people thought. Also, do these automatically log you in or not? Nortons Toolbar has a Vault that does the same but has the log in feature. So trying to debate on what to use.

A PC hardware-oriented question:

Will three case fans and an additional CPU fan be able to keep an overclocked i7-7700k CPU and a GTX 1080 graphics card cool? I ordered a computer system from an online store only to realize that I probably didn't think hard enough about cooling it, and now I'm terrified the whole thing will either explode into a fireball or melt into an expensive mass of fused plastic, silicon, and metal if I push it hard enough. Would you recommend I tell the builder to add another fan or two? (Also, I can't do liquid cooling, as good as it is - I've already blown my budget with this build, and liquid cooling is far too expensive to even consider.)

Thanks!

Edited by Wintermute

14 hours ago, Dew said:

Did you hard refresh and/or clear your cache?

Yep. It's just not having it. 

Currently I'm using Windows 7 in my desktop and using Windows 10 installed in external HDD (Windows to go). When I use Windows 10, it can not find other SSD or HDD installed in desktop. Are there any reason?

:o I didn't know a thread like this existed! Now I kind of have a place I can ask for help when I'm trying to program!

Never looked at a code before this year so still kinda new to everything, but at the start of this year, I learned a little bit about html/css/javascript and now I'm currently learning how to program in visual studio code using c++. Also learning SQL and database stuffs (y) I forgot to add, I'm pretty useless at every other problem a pc might have xP

@Purpzie And that sounds amazing! I would love to learn how to code for a bot on discord :lol:

Edited by Ghost

Sometimes I think the community here is far smarter than Googling! XD My question is: I bought a Gaming PC about a year ago. An actual Gaming PC, not one of those cheap laptops from Walmart that ~claim~ they're for gaming. :rolleyes: Anyways, when I first got it, it was BLAZING FAST. Now, since I have been using it, it has slowed significantly. Almost as slow as one of those generic laptops. I have done absolutely anything to try and fix my speed problem, and it hasn't worked. I can barely open Photoshop alone now without lag, and this thing used to open Photoshop, Facebook, a memory-heavy game, AND Spotify without ANY issues! -.-'

Uh, suggestions? :/

Run something like CCleaner or Ashampoo to clear out unnecessary files. They build up something shocking. Temp files, cache files which should be overwritten and so on.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Thank you, that helped tremendously. I thought I was going crazy (usually I'm technically literate so why didn't I think of that??? O.o)!

Another question, but is there any bookmarking sites that people would recommend? I know I can easily Google to find one but I want to hear personal opinions. My browser is definitely slowing from having like a million bookmarks clogging it up. xP

Does anyone here use Openoffice, and if so do you use the database side of it ?

When you go to set up a database they ask you to "register" it. What does that mean - one is RELUCTANT....

@Fuzzbucket-I did some googling and found this on the Open Office Forums:

First: It is NOT registering your database with anyone or anything outside of your computer. It is not giving the Open Office people access to your work.

What it IS doing is making an entry in the registry-like data structure which Open Office maintains. That data structure is GOOD in that different parts of Open Office (Writer, Spreadsheet, Base, etc) are more "aware" of things done by other parts of Open Office. It is BAD (?) in that it means you have to be a little careful about where you store things. You have to be careful and skillful, sometimes, if you want to rename or move them. Don't let me frighten you! A simple Writer document is a standalone entity, and you can move, rename, etc, its file as you see fit. Not so the files associated with Base work.

so I think you're good to go.

Sorry I took so long to answer - I was booted off line. AGAIN .

I'm making something with java these days. I made a nested class(A) as thread in class(B). And there's independent class(C). Can I control class (A) from another class (C)?