maustin89

Computer and tech talk and questions

Alright, I'm getting really annoyed here.

You know the confirmation popups you get on cave for abandon and such and the popup you get for deleting a post on the forum? If I restart my computer, these work fine for a little bit (maybe a few hours)? After that they get stuck. I can't press the button, I can't move tabs, I can't refresh the page. I have to close the laptop and open it again and it will have loaded just fine - the action goes through and the popup disappears.

I can't figure out what is causing this stuck and it is hecka annoying to have to close my lappie to get things to load when I'm trying to influence and incubate my eggs. =_=

I'm on a Mac Airbook 10.9.4, FF 31. I don't have anything but FF up. I did try a virus scan when this first started and found nothing. Same for malware. I have tumblr savior, adblock, checkfox, session manager, and xkit. This problem is recent and doesn't line up with the download of any of those addons, but perhaps something is too out of date. I haven't tried disabling any of them because I use them all. =X I'm hoping someone else knows something to try before I start disabling addons to see if any of them are at fault.

So... any other ideas for this?

I actually uninstalled and reinstalled FF and it made it wait a little longer to crash for the first few days and now it's back to basically every few hours. I tried FF beta and Aurora and both did the same thing. I did disable some addons to no effect. I really don't like any other browsers (I use the addons I have and other browsers don't support the same ones), so I'd like a fix. =X

Another odd thing I have noticed is that ever since this has started eggs, hatchies, and some adults don't always load. The image just plain won't show and they'll do it 1 - 12 at a time. Fixes itself in a refresh. Not sure if it's related.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

So... any other ideas for this?

I actually uninstalled and reinstalled FF and it made it wait a little longer to crash for the first few days and now it's back to basically every few hours. I tried FF beta and Aurora and both did the same thing. I did disable some addons to no effect. I really don't like any other browsers (I use the addons I have and other browsers don't support the same ones), so I'd like a fix. =X

Another odd thing I have noticed is that ever since this has started eggs, hatchies, and some adults don't always load. The image just plain won't show and they'll do it 1 - 12 at a time. Fixes itself in a refresh. Not sure if it's related.

You should try disabling all of your addons and see if the issue still occurs. If it doesn't you should then re-enable your addons one at a time and check for the issue after enabling each one. If it starts glitch out again after you enable any specific addon then that addon is likely causing the problem. This could take a little while but it will help narrow things down.

So just now I was working hours on an important project using Photoshop CS5, then all of a sudden a pop-up appeared and said:

"Photoshop.exe has stopped working.

Close program

Close program and check online for a solution."

It closed and I re-opened it with my project completely gone.

Is there any possible way to recover the file? I wasn't able to save it too. It's really censorkip.gif annoying. I'm just really frustrated right now.

So just now I was working hours on an important project using Photoshop CS5, then all of a sudden a pop-up appeared and said:

"Photoshop.exe has stopped working.

Close program

Close program and check online for a solution."

It closed and I re-opened it with my project completely gone.

Is there any possible way to recover the file? I wasn't able to save it too. It's really censorkip.gif annoying. I'm just really frustrated right now.

Sadly there never is. Photoshop is a PIA that way. I save my work every single time I make an important change.

It is specially annoying when you use it to scan several images and you lose ALL your scans mad.gif

ETA Just checked their forums. They must KNOW there is a problem - with CS6 there IS a way; they have added autosave ! sad.gif

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_fa...hop_cs6_crashes

Edited by fuzzbucket

ive had that happen with SAI as well. it really sucks. :c i managed to get myself into a habit of pressing ctrl + s to save semi-frequently so that helps if autosave isn't an option.

Ah, well thanks anyways! I was able to remake a better version of my project, so it's all good now.

Sometimes I get so engrossed in my work that I forget to save. Lesson learned. tongue.gif

Okay this is a REALLY SERIOUS PROBLEM and I really need to figure out why it's happening to avoid it in the future.

So I use SAI and I think there's a topic for art programs but this is kind of an important technical problem so I thought I should post here.

about a few days ago, one of my Sai files and its png got corrupted a day after I saved and uploaded it. I was hoping this was random but last night, another png file got wiped several days after I finished it, and THEN a Sai file I had no backup of failed when I tried to open it and the thumbnail turned white. Weirder thing is, it was made in August and I opened it only a few days ago with no issue, and the version windows offered to restore dated to a week ago also had a blank thumbnail and wouldn't open

so I can only assume my Sai has turned rogue and is corrupting files it comes into contact with at random. I can't find any other people who have had this issue so my only idea right now is to uninstall and reinstall SAI. If that doesn't work I don't know what I'll do. I'm on mobile so I can't do it now but I'll try later today.

Even if I fix it, I really really need to know what's causing this so it doesn't happen again. I've looked everywhere else.

I've been using SAI for almost 3 years with no issue, so this is very sudden and disappointing. I haven't made any changes to the program itself in several weeks and all I did was add new brushes. ._. Oh and I'm sure I don't have any malware.

Oh yeah, and my friend has been using the same version of sai as me with the same settings, brushes, etc for several weeks as well and has had no problems. So I may have inadvertently done something to break it, but I really really can't think of anything I did that would cause this??

Edited by Switch

it's less than a year old. i just got this computer a few months ago.

i reinstalled SAI and haven't had the problem so far, but it's only been a day so i'm still nervous.

I hope this is the right thread to ask this ^^; Before I ask my question, I'm using my mom's new Acer Aspire Switch 10 tablet - my question is, until a few minutes ago, I was able to single tap on the touch-pad to click on links and such, but now it just decided that I need to double-tap on links (including simple functions like closing a tab) in order to access them, which is not what I want it to do (and it also makes clicking on tabs a pain as when I single tap, the tab moves) >_> Is there a way I can switch it back to the way it was, or am I stuck with double-tapping everything? =/ I apologize if this question makes no sense, I'm not that good at explaining things ^^;

Edited by FluffyPillow

I just got a couple of calls from "Patrick" about my Windows machine which is broadcasting my personal info somewhere, got one call yesterday, too. I first got these calls in late September, when my computer had been sitting with the power off for almost 3 months.

Since the rebuild, there has been no Windows here. I assume that these people are the scam artists that have been looking for ways into people's bank accounts. Does anyone know if there is anything official being done to catch these guys?

It always sounds like the guy is calling from a phone room full of people make calls with auto-dialers.

We've had people call us at work, claiming to be from some kind of Windows service center (scam). Once I called them out on it, they hung up and haven't called back since.

Did you put something else on your system as an OS? If not, for your Windows installation, do you have a disk? If not, there should be a sticker on the machine with your serial number for your OS install. Call MS and see if there's anything they can do for you.

We've had people call us at work, claiming to be from some kind of Windows service center (scam). Once I called them out on it, they hung up and haven't called back since.

Did you put something else on your system as an OS? If not, for your Windows installation, do you have a disk? If not, there should be a sticker on the machine with your serial number for your OS install. Call MS and see if there's anything they can do for you.

My OS is not Windows, since I am pretty fed up with MS. When my hard disk died in July, I did nothing about it until about 3 weeks ago. Therefore, there was no computer running to send signals of any sort anywhere at the time these calls started coming in.

I have heard a little bit about this scam, and I have called them on it. I been asked why I would say that, and then they hang up. Other times, they immediately hang up. The calls were maybe once a month between September and January, but now I've gotten three in two days.

I just wonder if anyone knew if there is any official investigator trying to trace these criminals.

My OS is not Windows, since I am pretty fed up with MS. When my hard disk died in July, I did nothing about it until about 3 weeks ago. Therefore, there was no computer running to send signals of any sort anywhere at the time these calls started coming in.

I have heard a little bit about this scam, and I have called them on it. I been asked why I would say that, and then they hang up. Other times, they immediately hang up. The calls were maybe once a month between September and January, but now I've gotten three in two days.

I just wonder if anyone knew if there is any official investigator trying to trace these criminals.

Nope and I had the exact same thing happen with me. Called them on it and they hung up. Seems it is just something people need to become aware about by word of mouth.

Scams that prey on those ignorant of their charade. They're nearly as bad as those identity thieves that call senior citizens and rob them blind.

I just got a couple of calls from "Patrick" about my Windows machine which is broadcasting my personal info somewhere, got one call yesterday, too. I first got these calls in late September, when my computer had been sitting with the power off for almost 3 months.

Since the rebuild, there has been no Windows here. I assume that these people are the scam artists that have been looking for ways into people's bank accounts. Does anyone know if there is anything official being done to catch these guys? 

It always sounds like the guy is calling from a phone room full of people make calls with auto-dialers.

It's a scam through and through. They gain remote access to your PC by asking you to install a program which permits it, and later ask for credit card details to purchase programs to "fix" your PC. You've done the right thing by calling them on it, unfortunately they prey on many people who aren't quite as tech savvy to realise that they're a bunch of scammers.

This is an Australian website known as the ACMA: Microsoft Imposters, and here's one from the Federal Trade Comission: Tech Support Scams in America. It does seem like they are being investigated, but how effective the investigations are is beyond me. I recall getting calls from these scammers at least three times before putting my number on the Do Not Call Register, on top of paying for a private listing. Haven't had calls since... but you kinda need a phone plugged into the wall to receive calls. laugh.gif

On the FTC's homepage there is a Do Not Call Registry as well as a consumer complaint button. Maybe have a look at those? The Do Not Call Registry should be free, it puts your number on a list that telemarketers aren't allowed to call. If they do and you complain, they can get served with a warning or other such punishment. Give it approximately one month to to take effect. Note: I'm not sure regarding the FTC DNC register, but for the Australian one it doesn't stop all telemarketers, places like charities can still call without repercussion.

I need some help and guidance with linking the scanner to the computer. Our scanner is included with the printer. The printer is Epson L210 series.

As we changed to a new CPU, we're having problems with the scanner. We have the CD at hand and installed the driver for the printer; however, the scanner isn't functional as it was in the old CPU. Anyone knows the problem? I tried searching for drivers online for this printer but they don't work.

Update: No need. I fixed this already. Bazinga!

Edited by georgexu94

SMART notebook floating tools. I've deleted everything to do with the program, and after a restart they disappeared. Several restarts later they still weren't there. However, just now, I pressed shutdown (accidentally, whoever thought that putting a shutdown button on the side, just where people put their hands to pick up the laptop!... mad.gif ) anyway, it asked me whether I wanted to continue or not since I had unsaved files, I cancelled and then saved everything. Then I restarted, since the touchscreen on my laptop turns off after a half-shutdown like that. Once it came back on, the floating tools were there again! I tried another restart, a shutdown then turn on again, nothing works! They just stay there, and there doesn't seem to be a way of getting rid of them! They are really annoying me. sad.gif Does anyone know how to get them to go away? =(

Are bumps after 24 hours allowed here or not? Couldn't find anything about it in the section rules...

I'm starting to think nobody knows. sad.gif Everyone I've asked in real life so far has absolutely no idea. =(

Honestly, I have no solid knowledge regarding that particular piece of technology. The best I can offer you is an attempted google search on the issue. My Google-fu seems to be strong.

Edited by Omega Entity

I tried searching, but all it does is helpfully offers tips on how to make it appear if it isn't there. dry.gif

However, the problem is now solved thanks to a very helpful multimedia teacher! In the 'hidden icons' there was a smart notebook thing and you had to tell it to 'exit.' smile.gif

ok this one is a serious pickle and i cannot find anything online even close to this issue, ive been looking for a while

ever since i updated my computer bout a week ago, about half the time i log on after a shutdown a certain part of my desktop is unresponsive, highlighted in red

user posted image

(i cropped out most of my desktop bcus thats the only problem area)

i can’t interact with anything in that area, and nothing comes up when i right click on it. it also doesnt glow when i hover over it with my mouse. the shortcuts themselves work normally, but anything placed in that zone becomes unresponsive. they work normally if i go into the folder view of my desktop. attempting to place anything in that zone from non-folder view just turns my mouse into a ⃠. but sometimes that zone behaves normally.

any idea whats is going on? i can provide more specifics if needed, im just not sure what's needed atm

Edited by Switch

Have you tried running a malware scan yet? Malware bytes is my personal favorite.

Otherwise, that's something I've never heard of. I'll have to do some research.