maustin89

Computer and tech talk and questions

After using Chrome for a very long time for Dragon Cave right up to bedtime last night - I woke up this morning to find that Chrome will not let me load any pages of Dragon Cave due to "security issues". Has anyone else had this? Found a way around it?

It's working fine on Chrome on my PC - maybe take a look at its security settings ?  Does the warning allow you to "understand the risk" and go there anyway ?

No. I also had my husband check it out and he says it's a problem with DC, but it was working last night, so I am totally confused by it.

Hm, that's strange ! Can you show us the exact error ? And are you on PC or MAC ? I just googled this problem and it seems there are some things to try, such as making sure date and time are correct for security certificates, clearing history and cached browsing data ... I'm on PC with Chrome myself and everything is fine, so it shouldn't be a problem from DC I suppose ?

I'm Sorry. I have a really bad headache today and I'm having trouble getting a screenshot. This is what I got:

Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from dragcave.net (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). Learn more

NET::ERR_CERT_INVALID

To get Chrome’s highest level of security, turn on enhanced protection

At the top was a red triangle notice signal, and at the bottom a link that said "Advanced" and another that said "Reload" none that let me just go to the site. The link for higher Chrome security didn't lead me to a page for getting to DC either. I have used Chrome for DC for a few years at this point and this is the first time I have had trouble with it. I'm glad others aren't having this problem.

Sorry we really need a screenshot to be sure. Sometimes if you typed in the URL its worth double checking as tech support scammers sometimes make error popups on URL's close to other websites. Sometimes your adblockers or antivirus can interfere, I think there may be settings in chrome that can block 'continue anyway' options or something but i'm not sure..

Is it still happening or was it a one time thing?

I have advanced security on plus extremely tight application and connection control antivirus and dragon cave has never once been flagged on anything.

DC has never been flagged before yesterday, but it was on every DC page Forum and Site. And yes, it's still the same today. I may try again for a screenshot tomorrow.

You press the 'PrtScr' button in the top right corner of most keyboards, then just Ctrl and V at the same time to paste it here or in paint to save as an image.

Dragcave and the forums both have a secure connection and valid certificate so it's not a legitimate error, and usually by clicking advanced there's an option to go to a site anyway unless parental or restricted settings are turned on...

Are you using public or non-password protected wifi? That could possibly cause it, else maybe your home wifi has something going on. it looks to be a problem on your end rather than the site or chrome but I might be wrong.

If you click advanced, does it give anymore information?

EDIT

I also read that time zones can mess with certificate verification if it's expiring tomorrow or something, not sure though.

Edited by _Ro_

This is what happens when I click "Advanced". Yep, it is still happening.

image.png

image.png

Edited by RainDear
too many forms

At least that explains what chrome thinks the problem is. Try reconnecting your VPN if you use one.. you can apparently workaround the block though without one.

"

here is a hidden way to bypass that error, even if no button allows it. Of course, this should be used for your own sites only – where you are perfectly sure that site is not hacked, but simply local and therefore without a valid internet certificate.

Simply click anywhere on the denial page and type “thisisunsafe”."   source

I can't test this for you as i'm unable to recreate the error with any sites I trust.

As far as I was aware the manual bypass option was only disabled on mac os, so there's either been an update to chrome, you're using a dual boot os or your computers haunted... I can't help any further. I think you'll need a mod or super tech nerds help if that doesn't work.

I'm using my phone as a hotspot. Don't know if that makes a difference. But I was surprised and confused when I suddenly started having problems yesterday after months without any trouble. Thanks for the help. I'll check it out and let you know. I am using Windows and on a PC.

I am unable to type anywhere on the page. It won't even let me Google "Dragon Cave" I just keep getting more confused. I did clear my history and try searching DC rather than using bookmarks.

Edited by RainDear

I can have a look for you in the morning if you'd be comfortable with using teamviewer or something. It probably is due to using a mobile hotspot, those confuse pc security systems all the time. Have you look through the security settings on both devices to see if there's any conflicts?

I am a person who relies on a "Honey" interface. If anything goes wrong with my tech, I say "Honey, can you fix this?" and he does. But he couldn't fix this. Maybe it will start working again as easily as it stopped. Thanks for all the assistance. I do have Firefox to fall back on, though Firefox hasn't been my favorite for a while.

slightly off topic, but we have a basic info tech class thing in my school, which everyone takes, and there was a challange the teacher had set up. It was to do with renaming files, and i thought it was pretty easy, but then watched the girl next to me spend like 60 minutes trying to extract a file from a .zip something as i played tetris (that was the only thing we had set for the lesson). Not knowing what unziping DOES is ok, not knowing how to get the menu and or not having ever downloaded a .zip is normal, but she was on the menu, and there's this button that says EXTRACT FILE and she was pressing

every.

single.

button.  except it.

I ended up doing it for her and getting in trouble ;[

8 hours ago, RainDear said:

I am a person who relies on a "Honey" interface. If anything goes wrong with my tech, I say "Honey, can you fix this?" and he does. But he couldn't fix this. Maybe it will start working again as easily as it stopped. Thanks for all the assistance. I do have Firefox to fall back on, though Firefox hasn't been my favorite for a while.

same except internet. holy <remove>d my computer's having a stroke? go onto phone, google it.

I can handle most basic things  installing programs, extracting files. renaming files, moving things, but when I can't figure it out I rely on my husband who has much more experience than I do.

Funny story. I worked graveyard shift in a hotel and based on being able to suggest "control, alt,delete" had a reputation for knowing more about computers than the graveyard IT.

I have been using Chrome just for DC, but today my Fig Fish Game manager tried to open Chrome for something I was going to look at, but Chrome refused to go there either. So apparently I can't do ANYTHING on Chrome anymore. Well, maybe it will change in a few days, or maybe we will get "real" internet again and it will work then. At least Firefox still works.

Edited by RainDear

On 7/25/2021 at 12:43 AM, RainDear said:

I can handle most basic things  installing programs, extracting files. renaming files, moving things, but when I can't figure it out I rely on my husband who has much more experience than I do.

Funny story. I worked graveyard shift in a hotel and based on being able to suggest "control, alt,delete" had a reputation for knowing more about computers than the graveyard IT.

I have been using Chrome just for DC, but today my Fig Fish Game manager tried to open Chrome for something I was going to look at, but Chrome refused to go there either. So apparently I can't do ANYTHING on Chrome anymore. Well, maybe it will change in a few days, or maybe we will get "real" internet again and it will work then. At least Firefox still works.

rip on the last part- im not very good with hardware, dont know why that would be happening (sorry!)
Speaking of chrome, i have an extension that changes the word "cloud" to "storage cat". It's really funny, it was made originally if people are sensitive to some words they could sensor them, but

storage cat

like "i am saving this to my google cloud" looks like

image.png.7eec09ecbb5012f1504a950866464cd9.png

I'm going to be at my son's on Thursday to use his internet. I can check it out there and see if using "real" internet makes a difference.

I mean, even when you work in IT you still rely on google most of the time. You're just trained to sort of understand what the google is talking about.

My security hates big fish games, it's suspicious enough of steam but yeesh... Try just nuking chrome?

I've only used Chrome for DC and Firefox for everything else, because so many of Firefox's updates disabled things I liked to use on DC and it seemed to get slower over time. I'll just wait and see what happens. Doing everything on Firefox again is certainly an option.

You could try Brave....

I HATE Chrome with a passion, and generally use Opera. Also occasionally Vivaldi.

i love my chrome extensions too much to switch. dark reader and cloud-to-storage cat are essential for my wellbeing

I'm not nearly as attached to Chrome as I once was to Firefox. Maybe I will look at other options. Thanks for the suggestions. It was here that I learned about Firefox and left Explorer behind, so I know the advice I get here tends to be worthwhile investigating.