LoveLost

Pern: A World of Dragonriders and Dragons

"Titanium, more aluminum, chromium, bismuth, selenium, antimony, germanium, and tin. those are what I want, anything else is worthless to me." Aoi replied calmly. Things like business were simple, though Terin's had more loops and pit falls than she preferred, but he had what she liked. With little more on her mind she looked over her two guests with careful eyes as she waited for what would happen next. Terin would likely acknowledge her list with a good reply, the woman would probably deride her as being demanding, so now was probably the time to think up some witty retort.

Terin nodded, putting the list to memory. Such demands weren't difficult to fulfill, he just needed to ensure he manipulated the meeting to his liking. Some of those metals could be found in his hold as well. Now he had a few things he had to make clear. "The aluminum was a gift to you Aoi, but in the future I may commission from you." It was not yet time to bring her into his circle of allies who knew of his plans, at least not until he knew her feelings on the dragon riders and their control of Pern. "For now all I ask is that you come to me for your needs. I can procure supplies faster then the dragon riders and I am in better standing then them with the traders." Which was well known. The traders and holders still felt some resentment towards the dragon riders and their need of them.

It always amazed him of how fast the traders and holders he was in contact with had forgotten that he himself had once been a dragon rider. Then again, those that worked with him had benefited very quickly.

T'ron nodded, glad to have something to do other than stand around. "Come on" he said, herding the youngsters out of the way. Tsinth aided by looking large (to a human) and herding them with his large wings. T'ron glanced up at his large blue friend gratefully and got a wink in acknowledgement as they set the weyrlings about their task

T'nor held her to him and smiled, glad for the chance to relax again. He allowed his thoughts to wander as they sat together in companionable silence and wondered in what other ways his life would change now that he'd been plunged into the unusual world that was the weyr. Absently he began tracing his fingers through her hair. With a small pop above a small champagne firelizard appeared in the air and settled on his shoulder. "Where have you been?" he asked, receiving a blur of images ranging from other firelizards to his fathers forge in response. A happy chitter concluded the 'explanation' before the little creature curled up on its companions shoulders. T'nor just laughed lightly and patted the small head. His gaze swept out towards the two frolicking young dragons and a gentle, amused smile crept over his face. "Energetic little things, arent they?" he commented idly.

Leroth laughed mischievously, making note of the ticklish spot he'd just found. Oh? Does it really now? he asked ominously. He laughed at her random comment and grinned a big, toothy grin. And i like tasty little sand witches! he responded and began nibbling at the ticklish spot he'd uncovered.

As much as Lerin enjoyed making Terin squirm, she also knew when to allow business to take priority. She could hear the almost pleading quality of his voice and it amused her a great deal. She inspected the work and even her critical eye had to agree that it was decent. "Well, i see he doesnt exaggerate everything then" she said, looking perhaps a bit harder at the metal than Terin had. She knew little about smithing or metal working but she didnt need to give that impression. "Your work is certainly...passable" Lerin was not one to give praise, at all, ever. So such an admission was a rarity. She allowed Terin and the smith to discuss metals and procurement briefly and, despite Aoi's prediction, kept silent and just nodded. She often preferred to let him deal primarily with the materials procurement, especially when she had less than adequate knowledge about the materials in question. She specialized more in the procurement of labor and the manipulation of people, allies and enemies alike. She also enjoyed handling some of the...less pleasant encounters personally. She found it helped her relieve some frustration and kept Terin on edge a bit more.

She resented the none too subtle threat cast by their potential associate and bristled silently, her fingers unobtrusively stroking the jeweled hilt that never left her side. As Terin finished speaking again, she stepped in, her manner suddenly all business and colder than any of the metals around them. "Speaking of commissions, i have been looking to have a companion blade forged for some years now," she said, drawing the blades lowly from its sheath. There was little noise made as the blade was drawn, one of the reasons she favored it. She spun the blade a few ways, still pleased at how well balanced it was even after all this time. "But i have yet to meet a smith who could forge an adequate work. Perhaps you would not find it beyond your skills?" she asked, a subtle challenge and potentially a veiled insult. She held out the blade to the smith, hilt first. The blade was not long, about sixteen inches from base to tip. Instead of coming straight out of the hilt, the blade was attached to a metal bar that stuck about an inch out in front of the hilt and began a long, almost crescent curve to its tip.

Aoi took all of Lerin's slightly deriding yet rare praise in stride yet again, but when the woman questioned whether she could forge a companion blade, she bristled slightly. "I will see what I can do for you," she said coolly. The temperature of the room seemed to drop several degrees as the two of them spoke to each other. When she took the blade from Lerin, she swung the blade about in several graceful arcs before examining it in the light. In a single instant, she slapped the flat of the blade against the side of her anvil to listen to the steel. "I will say it is quite well forged, there are few smiths capable of something this well," she said calmly, her tone contained a note of admiration for the sword, but her voice was not directed towards Lerin, but rather just into the air, the rest of the room forgotten. Turning to Terin for a moment she said, "I believe I can do that, though I will still have to take periodic shipments to from the wyre to ensure they do not come snooping around, that damn council is always keeping such a close eye on me..." her voice trailed off a touch at the end.

If he could have, Terin would have covered Lerin's mouth with a sheet of stone. He understood how rare it was for her to give praise, but for her to literally challenge Aoi to make something to pair with her own dagger...he wished he could have crawled into a hole. It was lucky that Aoi hadn't taken the challenge as an insult. Then again, perhaps the challenge had earned more trust with Aoi, in which case Terin was indebted to Lerin slightly.

"That is understandable and agreeable." Terin said with an acknowledging bow of his head. He too, even though he hated too, requested stone from the quarry through F'lar and the council. But then, that was one thing he didn't have to spend his marks on so he didn't complain too much. He would have smiled at her rather off hand comment about the council, but he didn't. Instead he pretended not to have heard.

"If you will excuse me Aoi, I have others that I need to meet with. I'll be the only Crafter representing the lower weyr this year at the meeting and I want to make sure I get everyone's opinions and needs before I go." Of course that meant he had to make sure his allies would still be indebted to him. Aoi was not the only crafter here in the weyr that used him to get things that they normally would not receive. "Will you be coming with me Lerin or shall I see you tonight for you to take me to Fort?" Terin asked with a raise of his brow.

Lerin nodded. "It is indeed an unusually fine example of its kind. I've only come across one of such quality and i did not have the pleasure of...acquiring it from its original maker. In all the years since i have not seen its like. I would be most grateful if you could complete the pair. You may even improve upon the original if your skills are as good as they seem" She retrieved the dagger and sheathed it silently, glad to have it at her side. The blade had been a gift from her father, stolen from a rival captain. The blades originally came as a pair, her father keeping the twin. It was perhaps the only possession she had that held any sort of sentimental value.

She nodded in understanding at being annoyed with the council. "Yes, they are a rather dry, bothersome lot arent they?" she said with a mixture of venom and sarcasm. "I'm sure undue scrutiny can be avoided though, in the interests of productivity. People can be so easy to distract and divert when they've got other things on their minds" She spoke in a calm, matter-of-fact tone and gave no hint as to who might be distracted or how. Simply implying that problems could be avoided with cooperation.

She nodded at Terin. "Yes, i think i will spend a bit more time with you, dear one" she said, suddenly becoming seductive again and hanging on Terin's arm. "And you know i look forward to our night rides" she added with a mischievous wink.

"If you have no more business, then please leave before I activate my traps and let you try to find your way out on your own. For I'll be working and i don't feel like being bothered, though I ask you leave your blade here, sheath and all so I may work with it, Lerin," Aoi said with all with the warmth of an ice bath. She now began shovel enormous amounts of coal into her forge to prepare it for the forging process. With that done she began pulling various ingots out and checking the sounds they made to ensure they would be proper for the work she would be doing.

Lishi shrugged, not knowing what to say about his comment on him being hungry. She herself wasn't paying attention to her stomach. She really thought of food as just a necessity and only ate it when she really had to, which was normally either whenever she knew that everyone else was eating or Valiath told her to. "I've been here since a little before the Hatching," she said, managing not to sound stiff. "I Impressed Valiath, and naturally I've been here since." Under her breath she muttered, "Not that nobody tried to make me take a silly black instead of my queen."

I hope he can. Valiath nervously looked at her rider, who was recalling the day she had Hatched. Personally, she didn't remember it as well as her rider, since dragons just lived for today and didn't have great memories. But her rider definitely didn't like that black who she'd somehow gotten tangled up with. Returning to her conversation, she said, She's definitely had a rough time with her parents, at least that's what she said. Quietly she added, And a certain weyrling rider around here.

R'ran and Dracoth depressingly eat alone. "If we wait too long I'll be too tired to fly." Dracoth wanted to get some flight time in. "Give it some more time. Remember big guy, patience is a virtue." Dracoth hmphed, cause he wasn't that big on patience. R'ran tossed him another chunk of meat which he downed in an instant. R'ran himself ate rather slow. Savoring the flavors before swallowing.

((this is what happens when i disappear....lol I'll try and post soon ya'll))

((EDIT: Torch, please make your posts slightly longer.))

Edited by LoveLost

Cleo finished eating and started brushing crumbs off her clothes. Which rather forcefully reminded her that she was still wearing the same outfit that she'd worn during her accidental exile. And that she hadn't had a real bath in a very long time. I wonder if our old weyr is still unoccupied . . . she thought to Neith. The queen's eyes simply rolled in happy colors. Cleo climbed back up on her dragon and directed her to fly to their weyr. The bronze would be in capable hands, as would the rider. Neith landed on her old ledge and let Cleo dismount. The junior weyrwoman looked around at the quarters. There was a layer of dust over almost everything. Isis and Osiris swooped in, chittering and looking immensely proud of themselves. They landed on a large sand wallow-basin that was the only change. Cleo snorted, then dug into her chest of clothes, looking for something without any moth holes, then went about arranging for a nice hot bath.

Edited by Ramoth

((If I have forgotten or if I forget anyone...PLEASE PLEASE tell me!!!!))

G'lor saluted Cleo and gave her a cheeky grin. He was already self concious about having the scar, now he had to completely cover his eye? Luckily none of the werylings would have heard her so he decided to keep the cloth off, he would have to see to help his bad eye get even better. He sighed as he led them to the ground weyr and looked at Dereth as the young dragon spoke to him. "No, I can't read minds, but I could tell that you were loathe to join us in cleaning." he said with a smile as they all continued to the lower weyr and he started to set some on cleaning the floor and others to sweeping out the dragon's weyr.

E'ran watched as the bronze seemed to awaken slowly and in a daze as his rider took some hard news and wasn't sure what he was to do. But when the man seemed to pass out and nearly fall onto his sister, he rushed over to help. "Ezran, you know better than to give a man fellis." he said with a laugh. As he pulled the man back and laid him back onto the table. He looked at Heedana and Sesania expecting an answer or something as to why the man was so distraught.

Gleanixth smiled at the gray between his forelegs and licked her clean as he would a dragonet and made sure that she was settled comfortably. He noted her hunger and gently entered Sesania's mind. Sesania, if you wish, and since she is large enough to fly now, I can take her to the hunting grounds. He said calmly as he hummed to the small one.

Ezran looked at Sesania and with an oomph found that the man was falling asleep while leaning against her and was grateful for her eldest brother's help. "Thanks Earan...I mean E'ran. Now I think it will be a bit for him to heal since the Thread seared part of his back as well as part of his legs. It looks bad now and he'll have to hobble for a bit, but it should start healing as soon as tomorrow since he isn't really old. And besides that, Cleo probably has some new herbs that will be really useful." she said with a smile. She then frowned as her stomach lurched and she had to run around a corner to be able to allow her stomach the relief it needed. She then walked back calmly to E'ran and Sesania and smiled at them. "As to anymore help, I can get some of the other riders to help me out. And don't worry about him to much Sesania...these oldtimers are tough." she said with a smile.

((Torch, the dragons are massive, far to large to be inside and they eat whole deer or cattle))

Xyliana walked back to the kitchens wanting to finish the rest of her meal near the fire but found that her dishes had been moved at that all tables were taken except for a dark one in the corner. She sighed and walked over to it and was about to sit down when she noticed someone and also when her beloved Joker flapped around her and landed near the man his eyes whirling a red color of suspicion. "Oh, I'm so sorry...I didn't notice you there." she said with a smile.

Gloriana popped in right behind the champagne and with her was an azure firelizard that settled on the ledge above their heads as Gloriana settled on Gora's leg. The only problem was when Gloriana saw the champagne and started to play with him as best she could. Gora looked at the two dragons and laughed. "Much more than the others it seems." she said and watched them as they unashamedly showed their liking of each other.

Kandicath scrambled to her feet and stood underneath Leroth while laughing and searching for his ticklish spot as she used her wings to balance herself as she crouched.

((DONE!))

R'ran looked up at the woman that seemed to have walked over. "That's quite alright. Please, take a seat if you want. Won't bother me in the slightest." He said in a friendly tone and a grin. Finally some company. He kicked a chair out from under the table, a spot for her to sit. "What's your name? If you don't mind my asking."

In due time, Iotenth took the fish. He was still off his stride, he could tell, but he expected that he'd be better soon enough; othing could keep him down for long. After all, he was the smartest bronze on all of Pern, even if dumb Pullanth was bigger. All of the queens liked Iotenth better anyways, at least as far as Iotenth could judge, and that was what counted. Throughly convinced of his own excellence, Iotenth turned his thoughts to the Weyrling, Emeroth. Iotenth was fairly certain he'd never met a Gray before. Maybe that was part of why V'nov had been acting so strange, though Iotenth couldn't see his rider getting that worked up over meeting a new type of dragon he'd never seen before. Maybe in combination with the Treadscore...

Iotenth decided to ask somebody. Unlike some narrow-minded, Wherry-brained, stuck-up Bronzes he knew, Iotenth didn't have any qualms about talking to others besides his rider, and he knew that V'nov didn't mind. Iotenth reached out with his mind, directing his thoughts to Emeroth's rider. Why was V'nov upset?

((Reminder to everyone including myself, 2 paragraphs of 8 sentences each. This will be lowered to one paragraph though because of school and work.))

Xyiana smiled and took the offered seat and pulled out a napkin. This man was new it seemed and it looked as if he had seen some wear and tear in his life time. She was curious as to his personality and history as she was with everyone. She decided to put her curiosity's to the background and looked the man in the eye as she spoke to him. "I don't mind you asking at all. My name is Xyliana rider of the first Azure dragoness Vixenith and Southern Researcher." she laughed. "If you think that's long, try having Junior Weyrwoman Heedana's title. Junior Weyrwoman Lady Holder Journeywoman Heedana." she smiled and took a bite of her meat. "So what's your name?" she asked reserving anything that was truly about herself for the moment.

Joker settled in beside his bonded and poked her hand every now and then for a piece of meat as he wrapped his small tail around her wrist. He looked up when he saw the sleek and rather gorgeous Vixenith standing in the doorway wondering if there was enough room for her to come in, but there really wasn't. To many people.

His grin became a smile as she sat. There was something about her, and air of kindness he hadn't seen before. "I'm Roran, but most people just call me R'ran. Dragon rider of bronze dragon Dracoth, rank of wing-second." Introducing himself professionally. He sipped his mug of, whatever it was, possibly water. "Where do you come from?" Having interest in getting to know her. What caught his attention of her was the eyes. They looked like chocolate with an orange outlining. Who is she? He was getting more interested.

Dracoth sat outside, none of the other dragons seemed interested in speaking with him, which depressed him deeply. He stretched out as he laid down on his stomach. Bored and tired.

(WB-don't have much to expand on here.)

Xyliana smiled at R'ran and then furrowed her brow slightly when he said that his name was Roran, but most called him R'ran. "Well of course they call you R'ran. It's an honor to have your name shortened on becoming a rider." she said then sipped at her klah before answering his question. "Well, I'm from Southern Weyr, ya know, the southern continent? Where the sun shines all the time except for in the mountain ranges?" she said then noticed her dragoness looking at Dracoth and laughed. Her dragon was going to be social today. She hoped that Tsinth and T'ron would mind her talking to another man. She then mentally laughed at the preposterous idea.

Ezran, once making sure that V'nov would be taken care decided that she HAD to eat something. She walked into the kitchens for once wearing a traditional skirt around the weyr since she was in no shape to fly with threascore still healing and a child that was causing her body to react violently. She had only been pregnant for a few weeks now and the morning sickness was being rather ornery. She caught a glimpse of Xyliana and walked over to the young woman that she was already friends with and asked if she could sit down then noticed the young man in the corner who seemed to be at least three years older than she was since she was seventeen now. "Well now, who is this Xyliana?" she asked as she sipped at a soup.

"Well Ezran, this is R'ran, a Wingsecond like you and rider of bronze Dracoth. R'ran, this is Ezran, Wingsecond to Wingleader J'zan and rider of green Jubilath. She is the youngest Wingsecond that we have ever had since she was promoted at the age of 16." she said with a smile and then looked at R'ran with a smile. "She and I grew up together since I was two years old." She added with a smile then glanced at R'ran as she took a bite of her bread and swallowed. "So, R'ran, where are you from?"

R'ran looked to the new girl that walked over. Man I'm popular today. It's a nice change of pace. He laughed inside. "Pleasure to meet you Ezran. A 16 year old wing-second, thats impressive." He turned to Xyliana. "Hm? Oh, I'm from Nabol, a quaint little town." He joked chuckling. Dracoth heard the steps of another dragon and looked up. His eyes came upon a dragoness. "Greetings dragoness. Can I help you with something?" He sat up when he spoke. His voice sounded deep and wise, especially when he rolled his R's.

Edited by LordTorch18

((I'm here... just kinda shirking due to school... sorry...))

((Working and waiting. Bambina needs a reply and well, K'leb and Soria are..er..Otherwise engaged.As for C'yn I have no clue what happened and I'm waiting for an opportune moment to toss him back in.))

((I'm still here... just a bit lost...))

((Wow. All the way on the last page of the section.))

Finally clean, for the first time in far too long, Cleo dressed. She looked around at her quarters in consideration. I'll have to ask Manora to send a cleaning-lady up, she thought to herself. Neith crooned in reply. Cleo's great striped queen had had enough to eat and was now quite happy to sun herself on the ledge, greeting and gossiping with other dragons occupying themselves similarly. The young weyrwoman looked lovingly at her dearest friend, and then started off down the corridor, followed by Isis and Osiris. The two little fire-lizards danced happily around her as she made her way down to the Kitchen Cavern. That little bit of food and wine she'd swiped earlier weren't enough. She wanted . . . wanted . . . soup. That's want she craved. Good, warm, delicious, perfectly spiced soup. With klah to drink and some bread to sop up the last drops of deliciousness.

Entering the Cavern, Cleo made like a trundle-bug and headed straight to the food. Once she'd secured her little bounty, with a few bits of meat for her little friends, she stopped to look around for a place to sit. Ah. There was Xyliana from just before, and Ezran, who had Impressed at the same clutch as herself. And who seemed slightly odd to Cleo's empathy. Something was different about her. The queenrider walked over to the three sitting at the table and asked, "Mind if I join you?"