LoveLost

Pern: A World of Dragonriders and Dragons

Terin was about to leave when the girl's voice stopped him. This girl was clever, far more clever then he had given her credit. Terin feigned surprise as he turned to look at her. "That is a very touchy subject in the Lower caves, Junior Weyrwoman Lishi. No one speaks of it, and those that are smart keep their heads down and go about their business." It was true. All of it was true. He should know, he controlled all the mischief and trouble that was going on in the Lower Caves. "And if people did talk about it, they wouldn't talk about it while in the presence of a former dragon rider." Terin added a touch of regret in his voice. If he was on the side of the dragon riders, he would have made a very poor spy indeed. Trouble makers tried to avoid dragonless men just as much as dragonriders.

Terin sighed resignedly. "If you must know, I was speaking to Heedana for a very personal reason. If she has not spoken to you of it, then I do not feel it is my place to tell you." Terin said calmly and carefully. "Now I do have work to do. Weyrleader F'lar has asked for me to repair a few stone chairs by this evening." With that Terin bowed once more and walked away.

Terin went over everything in his mind. This girl would be wary of him, and would question everything he did. Of course then again maybe she'll go speak with Heedana about what was going on. It really wasn't his place to reveal personal family issues that Heedana was having. That was her job.

Edited by Ethril Dragon

Lishi watched him go, wondering whether or not she should follow him. A touchy subject? Maybe. Personal matters with Heedana? Very unlikely. Dragonless- wait, he had had a dragon once? Maybe he had something against dragonriders now. Or, possibly more likely, he felt a certain debt was owed to them. He could, eventually, lead her to the one behind the missing supplies.

Hello? We need to go train! Are you listening? Hello? came Valiath's voice. Sorry, she answered, I lost track of time. With that she reluctantly turned and ran through the Weyr, heading for the training grounds where she knew Valiath would be waiting.

"It's not too far from here and Atisith knows the way. So I figured we could fly there rather then go between. So, following Atisith is best. I unfortunately would be lost if I attempted to tell you how to get there. " Soria smiled and climbed to sit with K'leb on Hethath as she spoke. Once she settled herself as best she could, Soria told Atisith to wait for Hethath to take to air before heading to the little spot she'd found. Atisith was more then happy with the idea of a good leisure flight to stretch her wings. Atisith couldn't a help a snicker, when Soria managed to stop talking and contain her ramble to a mental one. Oh hush, you. As if you don't get all bumbly when you're next to Hethath.

Atisith snorted on her rider, but set about getting into the air to wait for Hethath and the riders. She was only slightly startled when a group of fire lizards attached themselves to her. Soria's lizards took their usual places but were joined by C'yn's Rosia. At least you can look at him and not blush anymore. Ah, I do miss that.

Soria replied to the private thought with a huff and a pout at her mental companion. Her pout turned into a squeak of embarrassment when Atisith proved a long standing point about said blush by reminding Soria of the upcoming mating flight. Oi! You didn't need to prove I can still blush. By the stars you are a devious one, Atisith.

--

((I'll post for Bambina after work.))

Why don't you just go to the training grounds? Someone there will know how to answer your question, I'm sure, Galanth said to Yii, who nodded. Makes sense. She turned a hall and headed for the training area. It would be good to see weyrlings practicing, something she hadn't been able to do for awhile. She had either been catching up on lost sleep or flying with Galanth just for the airtime. Watching weyrlings would revive old memories of her younger days. Edited by Pigegirl 2

((Pige if you're going to post, make sure it is a substantial paragraph. I completely understand writer's block, but if you can't write more than that for a single character, wait until you can please smile.gif (that goes for everybody!) ))

Heedana nearly leaped out of the bed to hug him when he crawled onto the bed beside her. Just hearing what he said was more than enough to make her day. "Does he mind marrying? I'm afraid that's the only way my father will allow any male into the Hold to take care of it." She said then rolled over to face him with a rather large and loving smile. With a gentle sweep of her hand she brushed away some of his hair that had fallen into his face then kissed him gently. "You have thought everything out." she said softly then kissed him again to pull away and look into his kind green eyes. "I love you." She said before she felt the presence of her three firelizards, Yenay, Tricky and Huzah. All three gave her a mirthful thought then flew to nap with Retirrrith and Tilleth.

"There are many things to consider and F'lar is usually very sympathetic with our kind of situations...but then again, he IS a bronze rider." he sighed and then wrapped his arms around Sesania to try and comfort her further as well as relishing in the touch since it seemed to comfort him as well. "Gleanixth and I will train as hard as we have to." he said knowing that no matter how hard that they trained, they would more than likely be unable to catch Emeroth. Just the thought made him close his eyes and tighten his jaw to keep himself from shouting in frustration or sighing loudly in anger.

Xitith chuckled slightly at her thought of not being close friends with the other black riders as of yet. It doesn't sound strange at all young one. Friend's take time and you have only been a rider for at least two weeks. I hope that you will learn to trust them in time though because they will be the young women that you will fly thread with; a high honor. He said and then landed softly on the ground. You must learn to get along with them and especially your wing leader which will be chosen in your second year of flying. Now go, train to your hearts content although I am sure it already is. He said with a laugh.

G'lor walked up beside T'ron with a grin upon his face. He had heard the groans of frustration from the blues that had not succeeded in catching a dragoness and knew that it was Vixenith thanks to his dragon. He laughed slightly at the question posed to no one and patted the slightly older man on his back. "Nothing yet. but I am sure you wouldn't have cared since you were preoccupied for awhile." he said then grinned and walked up on the stone platform that Hethath and K'leb usually taught from. He looked with his good eyebrow raised as Xyliana ran in out of breath with her dragoness behind her wearing a smug grin. "It seems that we are missing a few trainees today but we have enough here to begin. T'ron, Xyliana, please take care of the right wing I will take care of the middle and then...well...hmmm....scratch that. XYliana left, T'ron right please" he said and then took a jump from the stage to land in front of the wing of weyrlings he was to train. Xitith, please convey to Vixenith and Tsinth that we are to be going over the transfers between reverse V, V, and both parallels. He said then looked around at the trainees ready to begin.

K'leb laughed as he listened to Soria and then told Hethath to go ahead and fly. The dragon took off very slowly to make sure that neither of the riders were harmed in his takeoff. K'leb, through their mental connection, felt the raw power in Hethath as he took off into the air and looked for his beloved Atisith. Alright Atisith, we are ready. They both said mentally, together.

((will color later!))

Edited by LoveLost

((Sorry...))

Rebekah nodded. I hope so. As he landed, she looked over his side, trying to figure out what the proper way to dismount was. Once he was completely on the ground, she just tried to slide off.

The result was her on the ground in a heap.

She picked herself up and turned back to the champagne. Thank you, Xitith, she said, then turned again to walk over to those who had already gotten there.

Lishi smirked, having arrived at the grounds just in time to see Rebekah all but fall off of a champagne. She really didn't like that girl; after all, she had at first tried to claim Valiath, hadn't she? What was there to like?

Valiath was next to Lishi, wondering why her rider disliked Qannath's rider so much. Sure, she herself wasn't exactly a close friend of Qannath's. But she and her rider weren't bad or anything.

Her eyes whirled slightly, and she nudged her rider's hand. She obliged and scratched her eye ridge, and Valiath crooned softly to show her appreciation while they waited for training.

Edited by Pigegirl 2

Then we'll be off. I just know that if we don't go soon, Sor'll try to fly there herself. Soria giggled at the comment as Atisith flew up to Hethath's side before a burst from her wings propelled her forward to lead the way. She wrapped her arms about K'leb's waist and buried her face into his back just between the shoulder blades. The feeling of being next to K'leb left her a bit giddy. A fact that Atisith was more then content to express in her flying. It wasn't overly long before the little field and lakeside came into view and Atisith was landing. The slew of firelizards that had attached to her scattered and made quick work of reaching the water for a water fight. Ah, It's just as pretty in the daytime.

Sure is, Atisith. I told you it would be. You think K'leb likes it? I know it not as pretty as his tapestries, but it makes me think of him. Absolutely breathtaking and a bit playful if you know what to look for, right? Soria was oblivious to the fact that she'd forgotten that her gold could be a bit of a gossip. She was reminded when she 'heard' Atisith relay the thought to Hethath.

*\'o'/*

"I'll bet the rainbow would be lovely." Bambina sighed wistfully, imagining the rainbow that she'd seen after storms. She tapped out a non-sense drum with her finger as she searched for a question to ask him. Lifting her hand, Bambina held up two fingers, pinky and pointer. With a devious grin, Bambina bounced a bit in her seat as she spoke. "Okay I have two questions and since I don't know which one to ask your going to pick it. Now pick a finger."

I think I agree with your rider about the rain. He does sound like a pleasant rider, too. Although I will admit that I'm sorry you had to leave your home, I am glad I got to meet you. Bambina's been a mite bit depressed with no but me to talk, too. Although she says it's only because she hadn't gone really looking for others. Cerith shook her head at her rider's strangeness. Her mind drifted back to the comment of anger. As for the temper, I don't know if Bambina has one anymore. I know she had one when it came to her name, but other then that memory I don't see her as able to be angry.

Edited by Mijikoi

((Bump))

((Bump-am I taking this too literally?...))

((Yeah, I'm mostly alive...))

((Okay guys, I may have to leave this rp. I have no clue what is/has happening/happened... *has been resurrected from the dead xd.png))

Edited by zexion577568

((sorry ya'll life takes over but I haven't forgotten...and no pige, you aren't taking it to seriously wink.gif ))

((oh and Genius, try and post for T'ron wink.gif ))

Xitith was rather worried when Rebekah landed so harshly. Humans were fragile beings and he knew that. He jsut wanted to make sure that she was alright but knew that she would be. He chuckled slightly at his own worries then waved farewell to the youngling with a nod. With a powerful push of his wings, he landed near Vixenith and Tsinth to sit and watch the young dragons and help them where need be.

G'lor looked around and gave the order and signal for the parallel flight pattern. "This is what you will see and if you are close enough, make sure you try and hear over the wind to double check that you are seeing correctly." he instructed. "Now, move into that position as quickly and quietly as you can!" he said assuming the authority that was his now since K'leb was off flirting with his wife-to-be. He turned to the side just in time to see the youngest of the queen riders appear. Now was the time to do what K'leb favored so dearly. "I see our latest queen rider has arrived late like a few of you have as well." he walked over to Lishi and put his hand on her shoulder. "Can anyone tell me why this is frowned upon especially for a queen rider?" He asked above the sound of shuffling feet.

Above the others, Gora's hand shot up, but only after she had waited for a few moments to see if anyone else would. When her brother selected her, she cleared her throat then spoke in a clear voice. "It is frowned upon because a rider cannot be late for Thread no matter what color or size. Being late means lives, crops, and valuable resources lost because of their tardiness." She said then quickly shrank back into her little hole of solitude and glanced sheepishly at T'ron.

Kandicath laughed quietly in the sanctity of her own mind while shifting her feet, wishing for training to go faster than it was currently. Leroth? How long do you think this will take before we start flight training?

D'rin thought for a moment and smiled as Bambina held up two of her fingers. He looked at each of them wondering what sort of question as behind each one and which one would be a question that he could answer easily and which would not be. He then decided to choose her left finger and prayed for the best wondering how in the world she got to be such a fun person to be around.

Zirenth was rather confused as to why a rider would be upset about their name. Why should she be upset? Isn't her name a mix of her parents like most others'?

Hethath followed Atisith willingly and watched her with growing pride as she showed her prowess in her flight patterns. He was very proud to have her as his prospective mate and told her so as she landed, and he landed beside her. He crooned softly to her then laughed at Soria's comment which he then relayed to K'leb.

Of course, K'leb being himself, blushed ever so slightly at the comment made but slid down his dragon's side to catch Soria. Once he had her in his arms, he unashamedly placed his hand firmly on her hips and kissed her passionately. When he had to stop for breath, he grinned boyishly down at her before climbing back up on Hethath to get the basket of goodies. With a quick stride, he made his way to the lake and laid out a softened wyerhide blanket and pulled out the foods. He smiled as a small bowl of meat for the firelizards appeared. Manor really did think of everything.

Ezran looked around and was finally able to get the metal as thin as she could. It was almost paper thin and the day was actually starting to wear down and it started to become rather quiet outside. She showed Aoi her handywork before going back to her weyr and her fiancee. The mere thought of T'lom sent her heart racing pleasantly. She walked into her weyr and looked around wondering where he was.

Lishi clenched her teeth. It wasn't her fault she was late. She didn't carry around a portable sun to tell her what time it was. She spoke as calmly as she could. "I'm really sorry, Weyrlingmaster. I guess I forgot. It won't happen again, I promise."

Valiath shifted awkwardly, not knowing what she was supposed to do, what with her rider being chastised. She spoke to the man talking to her rider. Really, we'll make sure it won't. It was my fault.

((gotta go for now, sorry))

T'ron glanced at the approaching rider and grinned back sheepishly. The expression on the other mans face made it clear he knew precisely what had delayed the return of T'ron and Xyliana. "Yeah, i was indeed rather distracted" he repsonded with a laugh. "Not that i minded at all. I can definitely think of far worse ways to spend an afternoon" he added with a wink. He glanced around the cluster of people and didnt spot Xyliana right away. I wonder why she isnt out here yet... She seemed in such a rush he noted. Then he saw her being herded in and out of breath. Vaguely he wondered what had delayed her but didnt ponder it overmuch. His attention swung back to G'lor when he began to hand out directions. He raised an eyebrow at the fact that he was being left without a 'handler'. Usually whenever he was told to do something others deemed important there was always someone else to make sure he didnt screw it up. He shrugged it off though and nodded.

T'nor laughed and shook his head when she tried to shrink back into anonymity after answering the question put to them by their instructors. "You do know it's easier to stay hidden when you dont draw attention to yourself, right?" he whispered teasinly in her ear. He watched to see if she would try to hide behind him. He was certainly big enough.

Leroth yawned, bored. I dunno. Maybe they're waiting until ALL of us can actually fly? he responded, still a bit down about nto being able to fly properly yet but not hostile like he might have seemed last time the fact had come up.

((Does anyone know where I left C'yn?))

Ah, it's not her own name that upsets her. It's the shortening of her name. She despises being called Bambi, or even Bina. She believes that the name we have at birth should not be demeaned by being shortened, save for the riders. I haven't worked out how she sees the two acts as different. Cerith muttered, half in thought and half in answer.

Bambina's grin took a sly light to it.as she looked at the finger D'rin chose. She caught the mental scolding from Cerith as she opened her mouth to ask her question. The scolding turned her smile into a pout. "Fine I won't ask him about his last courted lady, but now what am I going to ask for that finger. I refuse to ask about the weather. Oh, well I suppose I'll ask the other question then. So, what do you think of our exalted Weyrwomen and Weyrleaders?"

---

Soria huffed at her dragon, but obediently slid down after K'leb, lecturing Atisith the whole way down about private thoughts and what supposed to be girl talk. When K'leb had kissed her, Soria had lost track of lecturing her dragon and grabbed his shoulder in reflex. By the time K'leb stopped the kiss, Soria was staring at him dazed and a bit weak-kneed much to Atisith's amusement. Said dragon was nuzzling Hethath's neck. Soria locked her knees when K'leb went to get the basket before she noticed Astraios hovering in front of her with her glove in his hand. Blinking a moment before attempting to take the glove, Soria wound up chasing the fire lizard straight into the water. She made a startled sound when she took note of the water that she'd waded into at her hip. She glared at the glove she pulled from her head when Astraios settled next to K'leb for some of the meat the man had found. "I think Astraios likes you more then me, Heart-o-mine."

Ezran looked around and was finally able to get the metal as thin as she could.  It was almost paper thin and the day was actually starting to wear down and it started to become rather quiet outside.  She showed Aoi her handywork before going back to her weyr and her fiancee.  The mere thought of T'lom sent her heart racing pleasantly.  She walked into her weyr and looked around wondering where he was.

T'lom had been waiting ever so patiently for Ezran in her weyr. Feyth had kept to the outside, enjoying the sunlight of the later time of day out in the Bowl. T'lom had been noticing Feyth's appreciation for the outdoors and lounging about growing recently, but he wasn't about to stop the dragon. If anything, a lowering of energy was actually a good thing. T'lom just didn't have as much time as he used to to spend with his dragon.

He was still worried about Ezran. She was having twins. That weren't his. And they were getting married. He didn't doubt his decision, not one bit, and he knew they were going to be great together. He just worried about what the children would do to Ezran. They would be a constant reminder of that night for both of them. He could still feel the pain in his shoulder just from the thought of it. Again he reminded himself that he should stop being so worried. Everything was going to turn out okay. Feyth echoed his thoughts in his head. Besides, maybe Jubilath would fly another day.

T'lom grinned when Ezran came through the door of her weyr. "And how might you be doing, Ezran?" he greeted as he stood up."I'm sure you had a very busy day with Aoi!"

((late and ashamed post is late and ashamed....))

G'lor frowned slightly as Lishi ground her teeth as she replied. It was obvious that she though that it wasn't her fault, and as a queen rider, she still had much to learn. "Number one, I'm not the Weyrlingmaster, my brother K'leb is and if you had been on time, you would have known that. Number two, don't say that you have forgotten....just say sorry and be done with it. Now get to your flight." he said sternly which was actually a very rare mood for him. With a glance he seemd to acknowledge Valiath but still admonished her. Valiath, you need to understand that it is your riders responsibility. Not yours. She has to learn the responsibilities and start to prepare for her job as Junior Weyrwoman once she is done with training. It is never the dragons fault...only the riders. He said and smiled showing that he meant good even if he ahd to be stern. He looked to T'ron and Xyliana who flew in at the last moment to her flight and quickly accepted the instructions from a trusted student. She was to be put with Lishi's flight. "Alright, I will warn all of you, that in the next few weeks, tardiness will be untolerated. Weyrlingmaster K'leb is going to be rough with all of you as we approach the more strenuous times of Threadfall." He walked back up onto the slightly risen stage so that he could see everyone. "Alright, let's get into parallel again." he said and watched everyone closely making sure that the assistant teachers were doing their jobs."

Much as T'nor had thought, Gora moved her position to behind T'nor and stayed there as they moved into the next flight position. "know that now, thank you." she said with sarcasm and a smile. "I am just used to answering questions when I know them thanks to my brothers....they expect to be answered when put into authority." she said with a sigh then made sure that Kandicath was in the right position as well as Leroth so that they weren't bumping against other dragons and riders. "Make sure and hold your wings open.", she said loud enough for those around her to hear that way they wouldn't get dinged for it.

You wherry! Starting training is helping us learn how to fly. She said angrily at Leroth and nipped him as they started to move into the Parallel position.

K'leb smiled as Soria came out of the water wet from the hip down. "You don't want to catch a chill." he said mischeviously and walked over to her with a blanket after giving Astraios a piece of meat. "And he only likes me more because I give him food." he said with a wink and he wrapped her up in the spare blanket that he had packed for them in case the weather became slightly nippy. He hugged her tight with one arm and led her over to the picnic and ducked as all the firelizards dove over towards them and started to munch on the meat that K'leb had layed out for them so that they wouldn't bother Soria and himself for their food.

Zirenth smiled as Cerith started to explain what Bambina considered insulting. It's her birth name...and for a male dragon rider, your name is shortened as an honor. When its in child's play, maybe it is not so much of an honor? he asked/said wondering if that was really what was going through Bambina's mind when she grew angry from the shortening of her name.

D'rin was somewhat taken aback by her first question, which she mentioned out loud. But instead of answering the second question first, he answered the first one first. "Last courted lady eh? Well to be honest, hardly any lady wishes to hang around a rider that is admonished for the work of his hands. So, my last courted Lady would have been, no lady, for my parents never let me and I found it to be rather odd when I was younger...now not so much." he said hiding his real answer in the middle of what he said wondering if she would catch it or not. "As for the second one...I think Heedana is uptight and a worry wherry...uhm, Soria is okay, just really quiet. Lessa is a bit of a, well...let's skip over Lessa, and the Weyrleader, he's awesome. " he said in the simple terms that he usually used.

Ezran smiled when she caught sight of T'lom. "A little woozy, but I haven't thrown up again." she said triumphantly. She smiled at him and walked over to him still pale, but not as pale as she was in the morning. "And yes, it was a long day, but I really want to learn this." she said and heard a familiar whoosh of dragon wings as they landed in their weyr. "Did you wait here all day?" she asked with a frown. He was doting that was for sure, but she didn't want to be the cause of him dropping his duties as a Flight leader.

((Sorry to do a complete OoC post here, but I do wanna say that I'll do a real post ASAP. I can't right now. sad.gif Sorry!))

Well fine, Mister Not-the-Weyrlingmaster, Lishi thought, keeping her face under control. You want unreasonableness from me, I'll expect it from you, too. What do you want me to do? Tell me so I can do my best to avoid it! She merely nodded. "Sorry."

Well, if you say so, but I'm the one who knew what time it was, Valiath answered quietly, then moved to her proper position. Her rider walked next to her, and she hoped that was what she was supposed to do. It would be too embarrassing if her rider messed up twice in the same day in the same activity. And already her rider was saying things about him she shouldn't. Don't talk like that or I'll tattle, she warned. How'd you feel if you two were switched? Pretty good, actually, because that would mean I get to boss him around! her rider answered sulkily.

Rebekah, near the back from what would be G'lor's point of view, tried hard to do what she was supposed to. Mainly it was Qannath who got it right. I guess that would be how it works around a Weyr...

Yes, it would, Qannath replied automatically. You should know by now. Can you please stop letting me see every one of your thoughts? It's getting kind of trivial right aboutnow. She would have laughed if she wasn't in training at how much her rider blushed at that moment, knowing full well it wouldn't be appreciated.

R'bah watched the new queen rider with interest, wondering why in the world she was being so difficult. She had absolutely nobody's respect yet in the Weyr, except maybe drudges, and already she was trying to use her position to excuse herself. She might not be doing it on purpose, you know. Stop interrupting my thoughts, lizard, he responded, as mockingly as he could manage with a straight face to the bronze. He got a sort-of chuckle, then he shook his head and tried to follow directions. If he had said that to any other dragon, out of the Weyr he'd go.

((Well...it's a post...ish...))

"I suppose, that means that I should send them to you any time they're hungry. I can follow the trail they leave." Soria had accepted the blanket gratefully and let K'leb lead her. A grin crossed her mouth as she watched him duck from the hungry lizards. Ananke alighted on her shoulder holding a piece of of food. When she was able, Soria made herself comfortable on the blanket laid out. She laughed as she prepared her next words as a means to tease her dragon and K'leb."It'd be far easier to follow them to find you then it would be to follow Atisith's directions."

---

I suppose. From my understanding, Bambina took great offense to it. Just as the boy meant for her to. What Bambina has said is that it is the way one can also refer to young children by and for a child to call her by a short name is a form of calling her a hatchling. She was particularly upset. Cerith's tone convoyed her own confusion as to her rider's actions. Shaking her head, Cerith simply decided she'd never fully understand humans.

Bambina blinked at D'rin. She honestly hadn't expected an answer to her first question. She nodded and listened carefully as he spoke. "I honestly haven't really seen any of them beyond the necessary points. They all seemed kind of stiff to me, but also very nice. Wait, since you don't have a last courted lady, does that mean you have a current courted individual?"

(( first let me say I am soooooooooo sorry for not posting in FOREVER! Things have been...more then busy here. And stressful. And depressing. And I'vegotdogsthatliketoeateverythingnow. Between that and finding a new job because work has been slow and trying to figure out how to pay for the new school I'm going to...I've been more then busy. ))

S'ron had to think about this for some time. He didn't know if Caern was interested in marrying yet, but he was sure with a little persuasion it wouldn't be a problem. The problem would be convincing Caern to not be shy about his new duties. Caern, although talented and intelligent, tended to be on the submissive side unless pushed around. Perhaps things had changed since last they had spoken, maybe Lytol had been able to train Caern to have a backbone. "I'm sure he would be fine with marrying," S'ron said with a big smile.

He reached over and gently traced his fingers over the three glittering gems in the silver necklace. Now there would always be something of him with her, something that had belonged to him and his family for generations. Now all he had to do was make sure she didn't ask about it, or notice the fact that his silver belt was gone. S'ron smiled mischievously suddenly and rolled so he was laying gently on top of her, pinning Heedana to the bed. "I bet you never thought I could be this cunning and organized," S'ron said with a false pout. "You and Sesania always did poke fun at me back at Harper Hall."

Retirrrith muttered something in his sleep but otherwise didn't take notice of the three firelizards. He was the most relaxed he'd been all day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sesania was still for several long minutes as she leaned into the embrace of E'ran. She'd always hoped and dreamed of finding someone who could love her, but she'd never planned for this type of complication. This was unplanned for and was completely unexpected. Sesania had not planned to become a dragon rider, although she knew in the back of her mind it could be a possibility no matter how slim. And then how was she to know that not only would she become a dragon rider, but that she would fall in love? Part of her wished she'd not fallen for E'ran and his calm strength, his understanding and his gentle voice. How could she have fallen in love with him in only a few short days? Had it been being alone on the beach that had been the final step?

And then an idea occurred to her. "E'ran...my brother is a Champagne rider now. When Emeroth is ready to rise, we'll have to be separated. Maybe...Maybe when the time comes we can go to Southern and Gleanixth can chase Emeroth where no one will find them." Her voice was soft and her words slow and calculated. It could work, if planned right. She had a strong feeling that Heedana's Tilleth would rise before Emeroth and that Retirrrith would catch Tilleth. There would be no way for S'ron to leave if Retirrrith did catch Tilleth. The best option would be for her and Emeroth to go to another weyr until Tilleth's flight was over. And then they'd have to leave when Emeroth rose once more.

It was an idea at least. I will try not to grow too big Emeroth said privately to her rider. If she could then she would stay as small as possible if that made her rider happy. Sesania smiled and with a gentle pat, finished oiling Emeroth's hide.

"I think I need a bath now." Sesania said with a soft laugh. She was covered in oil. Oiling her instrument and oiling her dragon were two very different things. Her dragon was much bigger then her harp and her harp didn't squirm.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Terin arrived in his study and barked orders out to those that served him. The two men scrambled out of the study as he went to his chair and fell back into it heavily. He kicked one foot up onto his desk and rubbed the bridge of his nose. That girl, Lishi, had been too curious about him. He was right to say if she wanted answers she should go to Heedana. It was the polite thing to do not to spread rumors or gossip about personal issues. And he doubted Heedana wanted people to know about her problems with her family.

Finally his wine arrived and he took the glass with a scowl. He kicked back the glass and finished it in seconds. It was refilled just as fast. He did have a few stone chairs to mend, like he had told Lishi. Although the only real mending that needed to be done was to adjust the legs so they wouldn't wobble so much. Stone furniture was sturdy.

With that in mind he left his study and went to his work room, where the chairs sat waiting. They were small chairs, easier to move then the larger ones up in the Weyrleaders meeting room. Terin picked up his tools and set to work. A couple hours had passed by the time he was done with the chairs and by then he was in a relaxed state.

Terin glanced over to a corner where a red sheet was covering a special project of his. He went over to it and fingered the sheet. The last time he had worked on it had been months ago, and he had stopped for personal reasons. Part of him wanted to smash the thing to bits, the other part wanted to continue on with the project. For now, he'd let it be.

The black-haired woman waved goodbye to her friends in Fort Weyr as she reached her queen's side. The young weyrwoman vaulted into the harness with the aid of one massive, striped golden foreleg. She strapped herself to her golden Neith and looked up. The moon shone brightly in the cloudless night sky. It was very late, and both she and her dragon were worn out from a day of ferrying and helping the MasterHealer. She yawned widely, feeling her queen's drowsiness as well as her own, but wanting to return to her own weyr to sleep. She gave the golden dragon the signal. The great queen surged into the sky, reached the accepted altitude, then slipped between. Time passed in the void. Too much time. The void closed in on her, she couldn't breathe. There was too much blackness, too much emptiness, too much airless pressure . . .

"NO!" Cleo burst awake and jumped to her feet, reaching out to the sleeping Neith with her mind. Although reassured, Cleo couldn't stop shaking. She had that nightmare entirely too often, yet it was terrifying each time. She hugged herself, trying to still the tremors, and thinking again of that terrible night several months ago. She shouldn't have tried to return to Benden when she was too tired to think straight. Cleo paced out of the cave she shared with her golden Neith onto the beach outside and looked up at the night sky. Several months had passed since she and her queen got lost in between. Only pure panic had allowed her to pull them back into existence, but they appeared in a place where Thread didn't fall and the stars were unfamiliar. Absence of Thread meant that they had landed sometime before the Pass, possibly even before Cleo had been born. Exhaustion and terror had worked caused Cleo and Neith to side-slip in between time and space.

It took Cleo four months or so to recognize some of the constellations. But she had finally figured out that they were somewhere on the Southern Continent. However, the young weyrwoman remained on the abandoned landmass, not wanting to interfere with the important events that shaped her world before the Pass. Cleo sighed, if only she knew how to get back to . . . her . . . . time . . . . .

Her dark brown eyes fixated on the Red Star and her entire body finally went still. Lessa brought the Oldtimers forward using the Red Star as a guide . . . Excitement and hope rose in Cleo's heart. She dashed back to Neith, shoving the great striped shoulder while yelling, "Wake up! Come on, Neith, wake up!"

The golden eyelids over one sleep-fogged faceted eye swept back. What is it? the dragon asked sleepily.

"I think I figured out how to get home," responded the queen-rider as she stroked the soft suede-like skin. Neith opened her other eye and raised her head to look at the other half of her soul. The fog was spun out of her eyes as she processed that short sentence. At the queen's prompting, Cleo explained her plan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was several hours before dawn, and Neith was circling high in the sky over her temporary weyr. Cleo checked her straps and went over the plan in her head. North to Ruatha Hold in this time, forward in time to the future Ruatha Hold during a Thread-free night, then east to Benden Weyr and home. They'd rest until dawn after the jump forward, to catch their breath. Cleo breathed deeply twice, then gave the signal. Dragon and rider slipped between once more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The long absent queen appeared in the sky above the bowl of Benden Weyr. She answered the watch dragon's surprised squawk with a joyful bugle. They had returned at last! Neith bugled again, and the pair were suddenly surrounded by a small fair of fire-lizards. Two landed on Cleo's shoulders and immediately wrapped themselves tightly around her. "Isis. Osiris. You remember me," whispered the overcome woman. When she could see again, she looked down at the dragons in the Bowl. And she caught sight of several foreign colors. "Jays, is that a black dragon? But they don't come in black." An equal amount of surprise came from Neith. Not just black. There's one that's an odd shade of bronze, and another that looks blue, but is even smaller than a green. Some of the little cousins are strange colors as well.

Neith backwinged to land close to the Hatching Grounds, sending a mental call for her clutchmates, golden Atisith and bronze Hethath. They or their riders could likely explain things. Cleo unbuckled the riding straps and slid down Neith's shoulder to the ground, still looking around with wide eyes. "Must not have gotten the timing exactly right . . ." she murmured.

Edited by Ramoth

After the calming and cleansing bath, Sesania felt the need to just go away and be alone for awhile. She hadn't spent some actual time alone since she had gotten here and even less time since she had impressed Emeroth. She sighed as she ran her bone comb through her short hair several times, trying to tame it. The water had caused the already curly mess to curl even more and it reminded her why she kept it short in the first place.

"I'm going to go for a walk...then I suppose I have weyrling training to get too." Sesania said to E'ran. Emeroth stood and followed her out of the weyr, still small enough to fit through the passage ways meant for riders and the weyrfolk. The two of them were greeted by many, and she nodded absently in return.

Sesania reflected on her life in the weyr. She was the senior harper here, since her brother hadn't taken up his duties. She understood why, though she didn't like it. Meeting Heedana again must have distracted him fairly well. Plummet came from between and clumsily landed on her shoulder. Sesania smiled and gently scratched under her blue firelizard's chin. "I feel like I've been ignoring you Plummet, for that I am sorry."

Plummet made a pleased and accepting chirping sound and Sesania felt warmth radiate from the blue. She supposed he had plenty of things to distract him while she herself was busy with her new duties. Which reminds me, Sesania thought. I need to send a message to Master Harper Robinton to tell him of what has been happening. Sesania knew he probably had already heard about she and S'ron impressing dragons, but it would be polite of her to tell him anyway.

The three of them continued on their way. Without realizing it, Sesania found herself on the hatching grounds. That momentous day when her gray Emeroth had come to her, hungry and ignored by the other girls on the sands. Emeroth nuzzled Sesania's hand lovingly and then took note of an unknown gold on the sands. The other dragons keep saying Golden Neith has returned...I think that is she. Emeroth said calmly as she looked up at the golden dragon.

Sesania, always wearing her boots, walked onto the sands easily. The heat could be felt, but it wasn't overbearing. She hesitated for a moment and then chastised herself. She was a Jr. Weyrwoman...technically...and it was part of her duty to meet with other dragon riders. She was also the Senior Harper here at the weyr. Since she was the first one here, she should welcome the rider of Golden Neith. I believe her riders name is Cleo...

Sesania cleared her throat and bowed slightly. "Greetings Queen rider Cleo. I'm Harper Sesania, rider of gray Emeroth." Sesania was unsure as to what to say next.