TheDarkCynder

Rats, Ferrets, Snakes, other exotic animals.

I have been waiting and doing research to get a snake for almost 5 years, and yesterday morning I finally was able to make my dream come true by purchasing a 16" baby female Mexican Black Kingsnake from an NARBC expo. I named her Wendigo after the cannibalistic Algonquin myth (thought it fitting, given kingsnake tendencies). Wendy for short.

user posted image

This is my first snake of my own, and my first reptile since my leopard geckos crossed the rainbow bridge 8 years ago. She's already settling in nicely; I'm so excited.

Edited by Odeen

Gah... that snake is absolutely stunning! She's so small and glorious. The shine on her scales is amazing.

Absolutely love the name too, definitely fitting. smile.gif

Pretty snake~ I want a kingsnake someday myself.

I've got a few bearded dragons if they can be counted as exotic still! They're one of the bigger reptiles (though not as big as iguanas) and they're so fun to care for. We've got a couple rescues that we're nursing as well.

If anyone cares to hear it, the story of how we got our African-Clawed frog is great!

We got her three years ago. My gym teacher's seven year old son had done one of those grow-a-frog kits and he had been keeping the frog for a couple years. He eventually got bored and didn't want to take care of her anymore. His mom was going to flush her down the toilet! When I heard this of course we had to rescue the poor thing so my gym teacher said okay and brought her in and let me take her home. She had been living in a tiny 1 gallon plastic critter keeper only filled up about a third of the way with water. We moved her into a nice 20 gallon with live plants and she's much happier now! smile.gif

That kingsnake is a beauty!

I love reptiles (serpents especially), but it doesn't look like I can buy one until I've got my own house. Parents aren't really in favor of snakes. Ah well, if I'm lucky, the college that accepted me will allow snakes in their dorms.

Growing up, I had as pets: a red fox and 2 coyotes.

I now have a Sun Conure, Lovebird and Blue Headed Pionus parrots.

my third grade teacher had an axolotl for a class pet it was cool 0u0 is it against the law or can you jsut not buy them?

I just can't buy them :C

It takes a few years (sometimes months if lucky) that new, awesome things arrive to my country :L

Sometimes I feel like here we're still 100 years before wooden spoon got invented dry.gif

I've had a number of gerbils (and still miss my first one, she was a sweetie). They are a bit exotic and highly amusing. And they are a bit tricky to catch if they get loose. But my most exotic pet was a Madagascar hissing cockroach I named "Cuca," short for cucaracha. smile.gif She was my easiest pet, far and away, and I was always amused at people's reactions when I told them what I had for a pet. At some point, I think I'd like a tarantula. smile.gif

I DID have two turtles, but they weren't well cared for, and one day when my sister forgot to bring them back in from sunbathing, they died because of the sun. Sigh, I kind of miss them, but they were always grumpy and snappy anyway. xd.png

My family and I have temporarily adopted two Sugar Gliders for a friend, we're looking after them while she figures out her housing situation. Apparently her girlfriend didn't want to keep them in her apartment anymore, so our friend's option was sell them or find a foster home.

Lucky we were nearby xd.png but slightly unlucky that they live in my room now and are nocturnal.

NO SLEEP

I mentioned it earlier, but I have two rattie girls that I adore so much.

Here's a snapchat that I saved of myself and one of them (Butternut, "Butters" for short) during one of her ten-minute long grooming sessions of my face. I've got like 5 more videos of her kissing my face hahahha.

http://contagiousiridescence.tumblr.com/po...ch-a-mamas-girl

I used to have a Royal Python! She was friendly and calm and she used to try and escape her viv all the time! I miss her. I would have another one but I don't want to have one only to have it eventually die again. I currently have a Guinea Pig and some quails and chickens if they count?

For a while I considered getting a hedgehog, but unfortunately they are expensive and I have to take care of my dog and cat. So that dream didn't last too long. But I would loooooove to get a rat. They're very cute.

I mentioned it earlier, but I have two rattie girls that I adore so much.

Here's a snapchat that I saved of myself and one of them (Butternut, "Butters" for short) during one of her ten-minute long grooming sessions of my face. I've got like 5 more videos of her kissing my face hahahha.

http://contagiousiridescence.tumblr.com/po...ch-a-mamas-girl

you are so very dirty Shiny Hazard Sign, keep still and be cleaned

my three boys do that to me as well but they like to clean my arms and hands, and if I move before they are done grooming me they will nip and bite me until I let them finish cleaning

my boys are named Strawberry, Chaser, and Zapper

right now they are enjoying a bag of mixed shelled nuts

I've always wanted a ferret but my dad says they're extremely costly, mean, and stinky.

But that's never stopped me from wanting one.

For a while I considered getting a hedgehog, but unfortunately they are expensive and I have to take care of my dog and cat. So that dream didn't last too long. But I would loooooove to get a rat. They're very cute.

Correction: Rats. They are very social and should always be kept in pairs or groups!

My family has a turkey that's really nice, she doesn't flee as soon as she sees you, anyway. Sometimes she let's us pet her, but not very often. We (as in my family) also have chickens and geese, but none of them are lap birds.

I used to have a Royal Python! She was friendly and calm and she used to try and escape her viv all the time! I miss her. I would have another one but I don't want to have one only to have it eventually die again. I currently have a Guinea Pig and some quails and chickens if they count?

No worries with them dying, they live like 30+ years.

The oldest known one is approaching 50 iirc

I have a Northern Blue tongue Lizard called Blaze that I bred myself. Its parents (my first two blue tongues) ended up going to a new home because they refused to "play nice" together in the same viv and I didn't have the space for a third viv to separate them.

I also have a dog - who gets all annoyed when I feed "her food" to the lizard!

I've had a lot of pets. Lots and lots and all are different in their own ways.

Lots of dogs, still have dogs at my mom's place, they're wonderful and sweet and caring. And super babies that whine and cry and jump all over me when I go home.

I own a cat and my roommate has two cats. Cats are so different from dogs, it took a lot of adjusting, but I love my cat and they're wonderful in that they can take care of themselves rather well.

Rodents:

- Hamsters: had three as a kid (not all at once) and I loved them. I remember them escaping all the time though, but I don't remember them biting much as long as I played with them. Didn't live very long though, only about 3 years.

- Rats: had two rats in my late middle-school years that I got as adults and they were rescues. One was stunted from abuse in his previous home and was mean, but the larger (he was huge) was the most amazing pet ever. He knew tricks, responded to his name, and would let me know if he needed to use the restroom by tugging on my ear-lobe with his little paw if I had him out and about. He was fantastic and super-sweet, I never had a problem with him.

- Mice: Amazing, sweet little things. Rather skittish and you have to work with them a lot, but the short life-span hurts so much.

Fish I've had, lots of fish, bettas (poor things are abused in those stupid cups at stores), all that jazz. Little frogs and snails, lots of fun.

Also had some parakeets when I was younger, didn't like them much, too noisy. And a turtle and a lizard at one point I remember specifically, but I can't remember what happened to them.

Exotic is always an odd word. I've heard people use it for corn-snakes and just kind of chuckle...