TheDarkCynder

Rats, Ferrets, Snakes, other exotic animals.

I've had just about every kind of pet. Right now I have a light blue, halfmoon betta fish. I used to have a dog, two cats, two turtles, two fire-bellied toads, a goldfish, and I've taken care of two parakeets and a guinea pig for some friends. I miss all of my past pets, but I love my betta. He is obsessed about food and follows my finger when I put it up to his tank. laugh.gif I have him in a 5.5 gallon tank with a filter and heater as a betta should live. I really wish I could have a king snake, but my mother doesn't want any type of snake in her house. sad.gif

I have two bearded dragons (Pogona vitticeps). It is like having your own personal pet dragons (minus the wings).

They are two brothers (in separate habitats to prevent fighting) and they are called Gawain and Bedivere. These are my first reptiles, and the vet says I am doing a great job with them.

I have 5 turtles. One snapping turtle and he/she was my first turtle and I don't recommend them as a pet but my grandpa found him and I raised it by hand and two years after my grandpa passed away. He is 5 years old now and is well snappy. I also have a painted turtle that is my second one he is about 4 years old and he is the smallest for some reason. His name is Spray paint and he is my friendliest turtle at the moment. I have the biggest turtle who's name is Hyperleaf and she is a Red eared slider and she is about maybe 6 inches in shell length. Then I have a rescued Red eared slider who's name is Floyd and he is quite a mean turtle. Then we have the funniest one who's name is Mr.Mad as he is always quite aggressive and his face always looks like he's mad laugh out loud. I've had several other turtles but they sadly have pasted away. I must mention Shae (pronounced Sh-aee) she would watch me and she could recognize face's as she would actually be excited to see my dad it was funny.

Probably several grammar mistakes.

I've had many animals, and grown up around all kinds of critters. My aunt and uncle who watched me often when I was young had a tattoo shop and my uncle had all kinds of odd animals. Snakes, all kinds of snakes including a rattle snake and an 18ft burmese python, a gator, kangaroo, chickens, tarantulas, scorpions, parrots and pigs.

Animals I've had at one point or another. Short tail possum, guinea pigs, rabbits, finches, parakeets, cockatiels, button quail, mice, rats, spiny mice, gerbils, ball pythons, bumese python, african rock python, columbian boa, green red tail ratsnake, bearded dragon, crested geckos, uromastyx, lacerta lizards, rose hair tarantula, emperor scorpions, giant african millipedes, pixi frog, anoles, long tail grass skinks, green tree frogs, tomato frogs, leaf frogs... I know there have been more. Many of the animals I have taken in that were older or in poor health.

I have rats, a ball python, bearded dragon, pixi frog, green cheek conure, guinea pigs and ferrets.

I have three male rats, they are probably my favorite, I love my rats. They are Ivan an albino rex, Alvar an american blue rex dumbo and Bjorn a russian blue dumbo. Rats are great pets and I wish more people would give them a chance.

Edited by annageckos

I'm fascinated by snakes for some reason, I think they're beautiful. My grandma looks at me with disbelief when I say it because she is terrified of snakes.

I also like rats, I might want to have an albino because I think they're adorable. smile.gif

And I'd like to own a white ferret that would hop around my house and it would be so fun to watch it do those things. wub.gif

Both rats and ferrets really should be kept in at least pairs. They are very social animals and need their own kind. Ferrets are a lot of fun, but they are crazy. My two are PJ and Harley. PJ is a white/silver(not albino) and Harley is a sable. They like to get into whatever you don't want they in. I block off a room and that is the room they HAVE TO be in. I let them in there and they want to get out. They can make you pull your hair out. Ferrets can be stinky. But the biggest factor I've found in that is diet. I feed mine a raw diet for many reason. Once I've switched them to raw the smell almost went away. Also health, kibble is hard on their systems and can lead to many health problems. Raw fed ferrets smell less, have healthy shiny coats, shed less and normally have less health problems. I feel most cages are way too small for ferrets, they are very active. Mine are not caged, they have an enclosed porch. They do come in when it's too hot or cold. But otherwise are free to roam. Harley likes to take walks on a leash and loves burrowing in the snow. PJ hates going out and runs back to the door.

I have rats and a leopard gecko. For the rats, I'm pretty careful to have separate male and female cages because an accidental litter I had, it was really hard to get the babies rehomed--my roommate was absolutely not going to let me keep them and it's probably for the best. I'd have had 24 rats instead of 8, and 8 is already a hassle.

I used to help out someone who had everything from snakes and tarantulas to iguanas and doves. And I loved it. Especially the reptiles.

I had a snake for a few days. I caught him in the garden and decided to keep him until I found out my mom was terrified of them and wouldn't go near the room it was kept in. So I released him. This was when I was really young though.

I also went out and got a bug container and collected about 70 caterpillars and brought them home with me. I found out later that the container fell and all the little crawlies went on their merry way. My mom and sister are still terrified of caterpillars...

I would love an iguana or a gila! That would be amazing! But I don't have any pets like that yet sad.gif

I currently own 5 ferrets 3 Sprites (Spayed female) 1 immature Jill (intact female) and one immature Hob (intact male)

At the moment I only have my girls living with me. Their names are Clhoe (4 years) Fae (2 years) Duchess (unknown) and Rishka (3.5 months). The boy is 6 months old and was named Fernando by his original owners.

Clhoe was my first ferret, Bought for me by a friend as I was continuously stealing his ferret every time I visited. Clhoe was rescued from a man who had bought two ferrets for the sole purpose of controlling the rat and mice population in his garage. As such she had never need handled and required a lot of nip training. She was only 6 months old when I got her. She’s still nippy today and tends to bite all men, but she’s always a good girl for me. Clhoe is a typical sable/polecat and I honestly think her winter coat looks stunning.

Fae was my second. I bought her as a wee little baby. Saw an ad on Facebook and decided I wanted a second ferret. I messaged the breeder and let them know I was on holiday at the time, but I definitely wanted a little girl of any colour. Little Tiny Fae (and her sister Izzy, my friend got one on the same day) was amazing. A very playful, mischievous baby girl with plenty of personality. I taught her to sit on my shoulder, and to this day, my shoulder is her favourite place to be. Fae is a sandy/champagne with a panda face and a bib, her winter coat is also stunning. tongue.gif

Rishka is my new baby girl. 10 weeks old when I first got her, she was the most gentle and snugly soul ever as well as being tiny. Within a week of having her I felt confident taking her out to the park where she would meet plenty of strangers and she was an angel the entire time. She has still not bitten a person and she’s now 3 and half months old. With such a gorgeous personality I have decided to keep her intact so I can one day breed her. Little Rishka is a dark eyed white (DEW) with a small amount of dark fur on her spine during winter

Duchess is one of the newest additions and is not going to be a permanent member of my group. Poor Duchess is a rescue case; she was dumped on a family, grossly underweight, terrified and not nip trained and missing part of her tail. I took Duchess on with the goal of rehabilitating her so she can be re-homed. She doesn’t get along with my other girls preferring to be alone. Since being in my care she’s put on weight and still gaining, her coat looks healthier and she no longer randomly attacks hands out of fear, though the occasional bite still happens and draws blood. Duchess is a DEW with a spot of dark fur on one shoulder and in winter, dark fur along her back.

Fernando I don’t know much about. His original owners contacted me about a month and a half ago as they were having trouble with his biting. After a month of trying various training techniques they decided that he needed a new home with an experienced owner, preferably me. I haven’t seen him yet as he is located 4 hours away from where I live, but my friend (the one who bought me Clhoe) is currently caring for him and reports that he is a very large boy, very playful and gets along well with other ferrets and that he does indeed have a problem with play biting too hard. He’s going to be vasectomised so he can bring Rishka off heat till I’m ready to breed her. I don’t know his colour for certain, but from photos he looks like he could be either a sandy/champagne or a cinnamon.

I can seriously talk about my ferrets all day. I love em all biggrin.gif

Not all exotic but I have...

2 rabbits (one lop, one thrianta)

1 carpet python

3 royal pythons

1 sinocorn snake

1 Mexican black king snake

1 california king snake

10 corn snakes

9 crested geckos

1 bearded dragon

9 rats

6 cats

4 silkie chickens

Many Japanese quail

Many multimammate mice

6 sugar gliders

4 goldfish

18 African pygmy hedgehogs

7 Egyptian spiny mice

2 lesser tenrecs

And that's all

Haha, I just have a bunch of cats and dogs xd.png

One of my friends has a parrot, and my other friend has 2 snakes. tongue.gif I think one's a python, but aren't those really long..?

Haha, I just have a bunch of cats and dogs xd.png

One of my friends has a parrot, and my other friend has 2 snakes. tongue.gif I think one's a python, but aren't those really long..?

Depends on the python. Ball pythons generally get to be about 5 feet, 6-7 feet at most and are very placid. Blood Pythons can get much longer reaching about 10 feet and can be feisty little buggers. Carpet Pythons can get to 13 feet but are also rather placid pets. Retics (Reticulated Pythons) are the monster snakes that get to about 35 is feet at max length.

All these snakes get some nice girth to them according to their length but most are placid and decent for handling so long as they are well fed and cared for properly.

I want a ball python so bad!! Those cute little boopable snoots just wanna cuddle the heck out of them to no end. I want a big plumpy scaley cuddle buddy at night lol.

I currently have a king snake named Lunar Ghost or Luna for short and shes my little queen. Shes a high white banana california kingsnake and I either call her a gorgeous worm or a snoot. Shes really sweet and where she does have some attitude she is 99.9% placid and cute as heck.

I still really want a snake, but...

As of today I now have a pet jumping spider.

I used to run a rescue for exotic pets and I now work in an animal hospital that is one of the top clinics for exotic pets in the entire world. I would be willing to bet that I have had more weird pets than anyone on this forum. xd.png

If I had to pick which of my pets is the coolest right now it would have to be my black-tailed Prairie Dog - Tex.

user posted image

I own a Russian Tortoise. Love the little guy so much. <3

I have a ferret, who's very sweet and adorable...and quite silly too. tongue.gif

I mean look at that little tummy--he's so cute when he sleeps!

user posted image

anyone got experience with building Nebulizer Boxes for rats, I'm building one today for my boys and would love some tips

vet wants me to try them on gentamycin

I used to run a rescue for exotic pets and I now work in an animal hospital that is one of the top clinics for exotic pets in the entire world. I would be willing to bet that I have had more weird pets than anyone on this forum. xd.png

I would take that bet. Haha! I've practically had a zoo in my lifetime. Part of that comes with being a biologist. xd.png

I had a ferret for a short time once. He was fun, but my mom wasn't impressed so he had to be rehomed. sleep.gif

I had a chinchilla and I have a chinchilla, they're both standard grey. My current one, Rosin, is 3 years old (fun fact, Pedro Pascal from Game of Thrones called him adorable on twitter) and my last one who sadly passed away was called Nupsu smile.gif

finally made the Nebulizer Box, a lot harder then you would think

the box kept cracking and I had to get a new one, and start over every time

oh and the little censorkip.gif***s kept fighting me to get out during the treatment, but after they were happy to sit in there on their own, once the lid was off

its sitting in their area of the room right now, in the hope that they wont fight me next time