TheDarkCynder

Rats, Ferrets, Snakes, other exotic animals.

Alfie had fun exploring the den the other night! I could hear his happy bruxes and boggling the whole time :)

Edited by hazeh

28 minutes ago, hazeh said:

Alfie had fun exploring the den the other night! I could hear his happy bruxes and boggling the whole time :)

snipped

He's adorable! :D I love rats so very much!

My ratto boy Alfie lived to a wonderful 3.5 years, and I made the decision to ensure he didn't suffer just for a few extra weeks. He was the goodest boy, a paper thief, master kisses peddler, and the funniest little dude I've ever met. Rest easy silly boy, I hope you're designing lots of cool nests up in rattie paradise 😁💕

Since Alfie passed, I decided to take on an old snake from a friend of a friend. Originally named Rosie, she was bought as a pet for a  kid when he was 8. Unfortunately when he was old enough to move out, his then girlfriend and now wife is terrified/disgusted by snakes, so he was never able to bring Rosie with him. So she stayed at his parents' place, where they continued to care for her for years. 

This year marks her 26th year of life! 😱 I agreed to take her on as the original owner said he was fine moving on, since he didn't have much interaction with her once he grew up and moved out. His mom was very sweet and excited for her to have a new place. I went a little nuts trying to decorate her new tank, haha! 

I did rename her though. I wasn't pleased with "Rosie the Rosy Boa," so she is now dubbed Betty White (And Brown). 😂 Betty has since settled in, eats well, and handles like a dream. I hope to have many more years with her. IMG_20220204_223814.thumb.jpg.a2f72b3811e018a21cc96b5f0f31c41d.jpg

Bella, the ball python. She was a rescue that the shop were initially not going to sell for some months, but the owners knew we were genuinely passionate about good husbandry and my work as an intensive care nurse, so they were willing to allow us to take her home and care for her. Burns all along the length of her months-old spine, spent several months giving her daily tamodine therapy, gentle washes and a sterile vivarium. They finally healed up though she still carries the scars, and we managed to get her to a healthy weight and regular feeding schedule as well.

She's now about 4.5yr old, eats pretty much every fortnight and now eats appropriately-sized meals as well, and she likes the new vivarium I got her last year complete with two climbing poles. She is a shy but lovely snake, enjoys watching TV with us when I get her out, loves it when no-one else is around and will slide all over he viv all night, likes to interrupt Candy Crush games with her snoot, and will often just curl up in a spiral to watch a movie between my partner and I.

Bella 1.jpg

The second day I had her at home. All those brown patches are burns, dyed by the tamodine.

Bella 2.jpg

Two years later, all healed up, but very slightly skinny still.

Bella 3.jpg

When you do catch her by surprise in the middle of the night she is very, very active. Likes to climb, and will burrow massive furrows into her substrate and hide underneath it.

Edited by Kestra15

Have had rats all my life, but have recently not had any as been too busy and they take a lot of time and training. Swapped to some gerbils (regrets) and have my pacman frog which is a demon, and scares me senseless, want a snake, but again its a time issue!

I miss my exotics. I had 3 Sugar Gliders when my son was a toddler along with 5 snakes, my African Cichlids in one aquarium, a small salt water aquarium. I have a cat right now and his name is Lucifer and I swear he is Satan incarnated. He bonded right to my son instead of me and we got him when he was 2 weeks old. I have had cats most of my life and know all about the bottle feeding and stuff. He was just tiny and I am pretty sure he was the runt. Now he's almost 2 years old and a holy terror. I have been looking at getting a trio of rats since I know several of the ethical breeders here in my home state. The snakes my son's father and I had was a Snow Corn, Sinaloan Milk Snake, Hypo-Jungle Colombian Red Tailed Boa, and a male and female Brazilian Rainbow Boas. The female Brazilian Rainbow Boa was an adult when we got her and she was awesome....so chill and mild tempered. She was about 6 feet long. The male was a baby and he was VERY nippy. Not to me but my ex-husband he would tag every time he would try to handle him. He even looked Osiris in the eyes and got tagged right between the eyes a couple times. LOL. The Colombian was a baby as well. She was mine. Sadly we split up and I couldn't take anything with me except my fish. :(